OT: Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I got the spider putter too. Took a bit to adjust but Im loving it. Has definitely taken a few strokes off my game.

Also, I am looking to get fitted but how do I not get ripped off? I really want to go all in on my golf game this year (I shoot low 90s normally, trying to get mid to low 80s). It seems from the experiences that I am reading that its very easy for them to rip you off.
So - I would absolutely suggest getting fitted for any clubs.

I have been fit for my driver shaft, 3-wood, and kinda fit myself for my iron shafts. It's totally worth it.

I was fit at club champion in late 2019 for a driver shaft - I swing very fast so I needed a beefed up shaft. @orangecrush8 isn't wrong. The shaft I went with was $350 bucks (Ventus Black), but I invested because I can move it from head to head for the next 5-10 years or so. I also moved it to a new head in 2022.

I have been fit a golf galaxy for my 3-wood. It wasn't too bad, but their offerings, particularly for lefties was lacking.

When going to get fit, you just have to know what you're looking for. Do research and have an idea as to what you're looking for.

I'm somewhat of a golf-tech junkie. I really enjoy reading about equipment, watching review videos about golf clubs and balls on youtube, I read a golf forum. So if you have questions or want more detailed information, feel free to DM me.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
So - I would absolutely suggest getting fitted for any clubs.

I have been fit for my driver shaft, 3-wood, and kinda fit myself for my iron shafts. It's totally worth it.

I was fit at club champion in late 2019 for a driver shaft - I swing very fast so I needed a beefed up shaft. @orangecrush8 isn't wrong. The shaft I went with was $350 bucks (Ventus Black), but I invested because I can move it from head to head for the next 5-10 years or so. I also moved it to a new head in 2022.

I have been fit a golf galaxy for my 3-wood. It wasn't too bad, but their offerings, particularly for lefties was lacking.

When going to get fit, you just have to know what you're looking for. Do research and have an idea as to what you're looking for.

I'm somewhat of a golf-tech junkie. I really enjoy reading about equipment, watching review videos about golf clubs and balls on youtube, I read a golf forum. So if you have questions or want more detailed information, feel free to DM me.
What head?

Golf WRX?

Reactions: VladDrag

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Over the last few months, I've tinkered with my bag. Last time I posted here, I think I said I purchased some pulled x-stiff shafts on ebay. I put them in my iron set and it was markedly better then the stock options I had. But, then I pulled them out of that set and put them in an old Nike VR Pro set - They are basically perfect now.

As my X-mas gift for myself, I bought an unused 2020 SIM head to replace my Cobra F9. I really loved the F9, but I had cracked the crown of the F9, and had been performing terribly, and getting worse.

Last week, I found an unused F9 Tour 3-wood on ebay, and bought it. I bought a TSi 3-wood in 2021, and it's really nice; however, it's 15*. The gap between my driver and 3-wood is too much. The F9 Tour 3-wood is 13.5*, so I hope to get a bit more out of it. I'll probably play the TSi at 16.5* as a strong 5-wood. Either that or trade it in for a driving iron.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
See post above - Sim 2020. It was unused on Ebay. I go thrift shopping for golf equipment.

Both GolfWRX and My Golf Spy.
I bet you can get some great finds on there. I might look for some gently used wedges on there for the upcoming year

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
The shafts is where the the extra charges come from, especially on the driver and fairway woods.

If you go to a reputable dealer you don’t have to worry about getting ripped off. My recommendation would be to ask questions about your top performing options and get a breakdown of costs vs performance. You can make an educated decision on what is worth it to you.

It of course goes without saying, but I would also seriously consider lessons. A 10 shot improvement is absolutely doable, but proper fitting equipment alone won’t get you there. I’d personally start with lessons and then get fitted but that’s just me.

Yeah I plan to do an adult clinic at the intermediate level. 1 on 1 Lessons would be hard to afford. Looking to join a Players Club around Montgomery County, MD. $50 a month for unlimited range balls, 50% off greens/carts fees after 1 PM (which works for me since I don't normally get up until noon since I work overnights), Pro Shop Discounts, and special events. I think its worth it since I can't afford to fully become a member at a club around the area. One day though

Reactions: orangecrush8

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I just checked out WRX and there seems to be a lot of good instructional videos there I could use. I drive the ball pretty well, but my irons/approaches need a lot of work. My cousin became a scratch golfer just watching videos. Never took a lesson. Golf is just so much more fun when I'm playing well lol

Reactions: orangecrush8

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
On ebay? I know there is a buy/sell page on WRX. Have you ever bought anything off there?
yeah, on EBay.

Not at WRX. You have to have a certain amount of posts, and I am a lurker there, I never post.

Plus as a lefty, all the good shit is taken in a matter of hours.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Bidding on a few different wedges right now, unfortunately, not these. But man, they are sex

Mint Titleist Vokey Design SM8 Blue Slate Set, 54 & 60 Wedge flex dynamic Gold | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
They're what, like $160 a piece new? They look to be in pretty good shape, so it depends how much you really want them. :laugh: Take a look at some past auctions to see what prices they went for.

I'm seeing some good deals on used SM7's, but most of them are only a 2 club set.

Do you know much about the sole grinds on the Vokeys? Like S grind, K grind, F grind, etc. If not, definitely look into it and try to figure out what might be best for you. There's a lot of different factors. I think they have a grind selector tool on their website that helps you choose based on a bunch of different questions.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
They're what, like $160 a piece new? They look to be in pretty good shape, so it depends how much you really want them. :laugh: Take a look at some past auctions to see what prices they went for.

I'm seeing some good deals on used SM7's, but most of them are only a 2 club set.

Do you know much about the sole grinds on the Vokeys? Like S grind, K grind, F grind, etc. If not, definitely look into it and try to figure out what might be best for you. There's a lot of different factors. I think they have a grind selector tool on their website that helps you choose based on a bunch of different questions.

@Cody Webster

Hard to tell honestly. Price is good, but wedges are all about the grooves. The fact that there are not any close ups on the individual faces/groves of each wedge is concerning a bit.

also - for a review on grinds, check out this video from TXG.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

Good point about the grinds and everything...didn't look into that. The grinds for the 50* and 58* seem to lineup well. I think the grind on the 54* would work as well.

I do have my eye on some of the SM7's as well. We probably saw the same 2 club sets.

I changed manufactures and was checking out the TM Hi-Toes. Came across the below set and might keep an eye on them. They seem to be in pretty good shape at a reasonable buy it now price.

TaylorMade HI-TOE carbon steel WEDGE SET 54-10 & 58-10 KBS Steel | eBay

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
@Cody Webster

Hard to tell honestly. Price is good, but wedges are all about the grooves. The fact that there are not any close ups on the individual faces/groves of each wedge is concerning a bit.

also - for a review on grinds, check out this video from TXG.

It's a slow day at work today, I'll check that video out. The last picture shows the faces and if you hover over it, it zooms in for you. They appear to be in pretty good shape

upload_2022-2-21_11-53-20.png

upload_2022-2-21_11-53-44.png

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
It's a slow day at work today, I'll check that video out. The last picture shows the faces and if you hover over it, it zooms in for you. They appear to be in pretty good shape

View attachment 509369
View attachment 509370
They do, good catch. Hard to see in my phone.

the SM9 releases on march 11, so your choices will likely be better in late march early April. Unless you find something that is perfect, I would wait.

also I play the full toe callaway Jaws 60*. From what I have read (not tested) the TM high toe wedge is awesome on short range shots, but awful on anything over ~30 yards. The callaway full toe is great - I only use a 52 and 60. The full toe gives me a lot of options, basically from 60 yards and in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad