OT: Golf/Tennis Thread

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
He's going the Agassi route. I really hope - like Agassi - he eventually grows up and dedicates himself to the game. He's so damn talented. ******** notwithstanding, I feel the same way about Monfils - so talented, but never seemed to really dedicate himself. Always more interested in entertaining than doing what it takes to win.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
He's going the Agassi route. I really hope - like Agassi - he eventually grows up and dedicates himself to the game. He's so damn talented. ******** notwithstanding, I feel the same way about Monfils - so talented, but never seemed to really dedicate himself. Always more interested in entertaining than doing what it takes to win.

Speaking of Monfils, I'm still trying to figure out how he made this shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pq3c9jO108

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So is Federer done winning Majors? I didn't watch the whole match, but he was terrible in the first set against Djokovic. Didn't seem to be good enough anymore to beat him.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
So is Federer done winning Majors? I didn't watch the whole match, but he was terrible in the first set against Djokovic. Didn't seem to be good enough anymore to beat him.

Nope. He got off to a sluggish start (I predicted that - I thought the rain delay would affect him disproportionately). Played very well in sets two and three, as his serve got into form. Really, the deciding difference was that Novak was better on break points - especially on break points for Roger. This has sadly been all-too-common an issue for Fed against Rafa and Novak over his career, even during his dominant years.

That being said - this was maybe the best I've ever seen Roger on the return of serve. Stepping into the court on second serves, taking Novak's second serve early (often on the backhand) and cleanly getting the ball deep with regularity. It was wonderful to watch, and something hugely positive for him to take moving forward.

Really, this match boiled down to a handful of points that Novak played better and Roger seemed to let the nerves get to him. In no way does this indicate that he can't win a major. Though as time passes, it's certainly gets less and less likely...

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Interesting comparison at two months after 22nd birthday.

PGA Tour wins. 6 for Tiger. 6 for Jordan.
Total professional wins: 8 for Tiger. 8 for Jordan.
Majors: 1 for Tiger. 2 for Jordan.
Other accolades: ROY, 1 PGA Tour POY and PGA Tour money list for Tiger. ROY, 1 PGA Tour POY (likely) and PGA Tour money list for Jordan.

The difference, two majors to one for Jordan.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Other accolades: ROY, 1 PGA Tour POY and PGA Tour money list for Tiger. ROY, 1 PGA Tour POY (likely) and PGA Tour money list for Jordan.

I wasn't closely following golf when Tiger broke through but I don't remember having the same level of other up-and-comers back then. I mean this year in golf was something special with Speith, Day and Fowler, and of course Rory (plus Watson and Stenson etc) all pushing each other. VERY entertaining but it is doubtful one of them will be able to dominatate as much and for as long as Tiger did.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

The REAL difference is the swing and the fact that Tiger could intimidate other players by overpowering golf courses. Spieth is doing what he's doing DESPITE a lack of distance.

Spieth also does not have THE PERFECT SWING like Tiger did. Tiger was made to break records. He was on the Johnny Carson show as a 5 year old hitting golf shots in front of audiences and TV cameras.

Tiger didn't want to stay with his "perfect" swing and has paid the price for it. He may have done it in search of longevity, but in doing so he ran the clock out on himself.

Spieth may be great now, may have had one of the best years in golf (and it could have been epic if not for a few shots here or there... could've won the British easily and possibly the PGA) may be a great kid and may have a great career but with his swing and lack of distance it may be very difficult for him to sustain for a length of time to catch Tiger or Jack.

This post may sound like I'm down on him, I most certainly am not... rooting harder for him than most. He's likeable. Tiger wasn't really likeable. Certainly not after his personal fiascos. But Tiger had well over a decade of domination... Spieth has had April - Sept so far.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Yeah, I'm not saying he's going to be better than Tiger, but at least so far to this point in his career, he has been.

I suppose, that depends on whether or not you would like to bring in Amateur golf or not.

It very tough with a young golfer to see what you will get in a mature one.

Tiger was one of the few "CAN'T MISS PHENOMS" that actually delivered.

He's in the conversation with Gretzky, Jordan, Tyson etc.

I hope Speith does eclipse him. The way he is to the media, to his sister and the rest of his family... he's a class act all the way.

It would be a great story.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I suppose, that depends on whether or not you would like to bring in Amateur golf or not.

It very tough with a young golfer to see what you will get in a mature one.

Tiger was one of the few "CAN'T MISS PHENOMS" that actually delivered.

He's in the conversation with Gretzky, Jordan, Tyson etc.

I hope Speith does eclipse him. The way he is to the media, to his sister and the rest of his family... he's a class act all the way.

It would be a great story.

Tiger was just a different kind of phenom, in the Lebron, Harper, McDavid mold with all the hype.

Those that have followed golf should have known for a long time that Jordan was by far the best golfing prospect since Tiger. People act like he's all of a sudden just burst onto the scene in the last few years, and he really hasn't. If you go back and look at articles from when he was 14, 15 years old, he was doing the same types of things and his competitors were saying the same things. He just hasn't gotten the publicity that Tiger did, and I don't think he will because Tiger appealed to a new demographic. Its an interesting discussion, but its good that this can be had again with a lull in talent from Tiger to now Jordan and Rory.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Tiger was just a different kind of phenom, in the Lebron, Harper, McDavid mold with all the hype.

Those that have followed golf should have known for a long time that Jordan was by far the best golfing prospect since Tiger. People act like he's all of a sudden just burst onto the scene in the last few years, and he really hasn't. If you go back and look at articles from when he was 14, 15 years old, he was doing the same types of things and his competitors were saying the same things. He just hasn't gotten the publicity that Tiger did, and I don't think he will because Tiger appealed to a new demographic. Its an interesting discussion, but its good that this can be had again with a lull in talent from Tiger to now Jordan and Rory.

I'm going to disagree that he is the best prospect since Tiger. If u went back even just 5 years Rory was more highly touted.

If you watch Jordan's swing in slow mo and look at his left elbow through impact you'll see why. It's just not a "perfect" swing. Rory was THE kid to watch for a while now. I am not saying Jordan came out of no where by any stretch. I've know his name since before he went to college. But Rory was the next "can't miss"

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm going to disagree that he is the best prospect since Tiger. If u went back even just 5 years Rory was more highly touted.

If you watch Jordan's swing in slow mo and look at his left elbow through impact you'll see why. It's just not a "perfect" swing. Rory was THE kid to watch for a while now. I am not saying Jordan came out of no where by any stretch. I've know his name since before he went to college. But Rory was the next "can't miss"

Rory was about five years before Jordan, so if thats what you are talking about, I agree, but Jordan was a better prospect, regardless of who had a better swing. He was just winning more big tournaments and was better at a younger age, although it is splitting hairs to compare the two.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
This recent match fixing investigation in Tennis is interesting:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/heidiblake/the-tennis-racket#.ouqg1EE9E

http://www.buzzfeed.com/johntemplon...investigate-match-fixing-in-tennis#.scoO5WWyW

What do you guys think? Pretty upsetting that this is probably going on in the tennis world, but I'm very interested to see the names of the suspicious players if that list is ever released. I hope the TIU takes a proactive approach to these reports, but I don't think they will by the sound of it and from what I'm reading. From what I got from the article, seems like the TIU takes a "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil," type of response to such allegations.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Necro-bumping to say congratulations to Sergio, one of my all-time favorites.

Super pumped for him. Was bummed he couldn't sink that putt to clinch it prior to the playoff but it's great to see him finally get a major. You could tell it had been eating at him for the last decade.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
that was some awesome sunday at the master golf. congrats to sergio.

i won $1008.00 in our calcutta. had kevin chappell ( bought for $75.00 lol and adam scott $150) decent return

didnt go this year but have been there in 2012, 14 and 16. it is everything and more. if you play golf, its the one place you need to go and experience. its hilly and tough to walk the whole course.

we went to baltusrol for the pga last year and that was great but HOT ! got a nice flag signed by henrik stenson.

this year we are going to Quail for the PGA. looking for a signed jon rahm this year.

the talent that these guys have is insane. truly gifted athletes.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
that was some awesome sunday at the master golf. congrats to sergio.

i won $1008.00 in our calcutta. had kevin chappell ( bought for $75.00 lol and adam scott $150) decent return

didnt go this year but have been there in 2012, 14 and 16. it is everything and more. if you play golf, its the one place you need to go and experience. its hilly and tough to walk the whole course.

we went to baltusrol for the pga last year and that was great but HOT ! got a nice flag signed by henrik stenson.

this year we are going to Quail for the PGA. looking for a signed jon rahm this year.

the talent that these guys have is insane. truly gifted athletes.

My younger brother attended a round when he lived/was stationed in Georgia a few years ago . He thought it was awesome. He has that over me but I trump him on the Aces as I have 3 in the last 3 years....actually all in a 30 month span . I love golf and play about 4-5 rounds a week . We had the Big Break filmed here in Mill River a few seasons back .

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
If you have Hulu + Live Sports, T2, the second Tennis Channel is now free. The Tennis Channel is not free yet, but the Golf and NFL networks are.

If you live outside NY, ESPN+ is a great way to watch most of the NYR games. That's what I do.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad