OT: Golf/Tennis Thread

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We have so many OT threads about sports, so I figured I might as well make one for these two sports, which I'm sure some must follow. Masters is next week. French Open is next month.

The early signs seem to indicate Tiger will be making his return to the Masters.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
We have so many OT threads about sports, so I figured I might as well make one for these two sports, which I'm sure some must follow. Masters is next week. French Open is next month.

The early signs seem to indicate Tiger will be making his return to the Masters.

I always say I am going to make the trip to Augusta but I just never seem to get around to it.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Just had my first round of golf Monday. Was amazing.

Also, can't believe the Masters are already here. I'll be at the Rangers/Caps game that day, thankfully it got moved to a noonish puck drop.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
al
I always say I am going to make the trip to Augusta but I just never seem to get around to it.

I've been twice.

2012 and 2014. once with a buddie who's a teaching pro here in upstate ny - teaches my daughter and the last with my 18 yr old daughter who's a collegiate golfer. both times it was a bucket list type trip.

the place is amazing. the mecca of golf. the grass looks fake. food and beer prices are stupid low. turkey and swiss on whole wheat and an imported 12 ounce beer in a sweet plastic masters logo cup for under $5.00. pimento cheese sand is like 1.50

the whole experience is religious for a golf nut (5 handicap) like me. the course is breathtaking and very hilly. walking is fun but its a lot of up and down hill.

tix are expensive but are sold all over augusta as long as you are off the grounds and can be resold if you leave early in the day.

practice rounds are best. players are approachable and pics/signs can be had no problem. the tournament is brutal crowded though with limited views.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
i havent played golf since summer 2013 even though i love playing. im gonna have to play a lot more this year lol.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Also, can't believe the Masters are already here. I'll be at the Rangers/Caps game that day, thankfully it got moved to a noonish puck drop.

I've already looked at this stuff. :laugh:

Rangers play at 12:30, so that'll probably be done by 3:00. The Masters has that crazy TV schedule where they barely show any of the tournament. Saturday's CBS coverage(the day of the Rangers/Caps) doesn't even start until 3PM.

park rangers

Optimist
Feb 7, 2009
NJ
The Masters starts tomorrow. Any predictions on who'll win?

I'm just really hoping Tiger is somewhere near the top of the leader board although this seems unlikely.

My pick to win it is Rickie Fowler; I think he finally breaks through and beats Rory by 1 stroke.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I've never been more amped for a Masters.

Truly has the potential to be one of the best of my lifetime.

Wasn't alive for Jack in 86', but if Tiger were to win this week, I'd say it would comparable to that.

park rangers

Optimist
Feb 7, 2009
NJ
I've never been more amped for a Masters.

Truly has the potential to be one of the best of my lifetime.

Wasn't alive for Jack in 86', but if Tiger were to win this week, I'd say it would comparable to that.

Yeah same here. The Masters always symbolizes the true start of Spring and playoff hockey for me. Not to mention the tournament itself has many storylines and the golf should be fantastic.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Shouldn't this be in the games forum?

Golf is not a sport! Neither is billiards, bowling or poker.

MTrangers

Oct 26, 2012
Missoula, MT
Shouldn't this be in the games forum?

Golf is not a sport! Neither is billiards, bowling or poker.

How can you lump in golf with those other games/sports? Because you don't run (or skate)? Golf requires a ton of strength, power and coordination. Not to mention the 6-8 miles of distance you cover on an 18 hole course.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
When I saw a thread that said golf/tennis, I was certain it was the answer to "What will the Islanders and Devils be doing in May." No joke.

Not a huge fan of the 2 sports, but good idea anyway, I'm sure a lot of people like it. On days when the Rangers are between playoff games, I'd watch the Devils compete against the Isles on the clay or the course.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Also Jack Nicklaus' ace was amazing to watch. I think the first time I have ever watched him play live.

I once won tickets to the final round of the senior US open (only reason I went I suppose). First and only golf tournament I ever went to. Jack Nicklaus was playing and when he came out it was so different. The other guys would come to tee off and there'd be a decent gallery watching. Jack comes out and the crowd became insanely large. He needed a security detail to get to the tee. It was almost all 60yo+ Jack groupies.

If I didn't realize it already, it became obvious this was not the place for me.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
This Masters has a lot of potential this year. A lot of good players nowadays.

Obviously Rory & Bubba are the favorites, but I love Jordan Spieth, Patrick Reed, Dustin Johnson and Jason Day this year.

Sleeper picks are Hideki Matsuyama and JB Holmes. Matsuyama is near the top at Eagles on the Tour and Holmes has the ability to put up an absurd round. He was on 59 watch last week in Houston.

Gonna be a good one that's for sure.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Augusta National

al

I've been twice.

2012 and 2014. once with a buddie who's a teaching pro here in upstate ny - teaches my daughter and the last with my 18 yr old daughter who's a collegiate golfer. both times it was a bucket list type trip.

the place is amazing. the mecca of golf. the grass looks fake. food and beer prices are stupid low. turkey and swiss on whole wheat and an imported 12 ounce beer in a sweet plastic masters logo cup for under $5.00. pimento cheese sand is like 1.50

the whole experience is religious for a golf nut (5 handicap) like me. the course is breathtaking and very hilly. walking is fun but its a lot of up and down hill.

tix are expensive but are sold all over augusta as long as you are off the grounds and can be resold if you leave early in the day.

practice rounds are best. players are approachable and pics/signs can be had no problem. the tournament is brutal crowded though with limited views.

I was there on Tuesday for the first time and agree with everything that ODC posted. The entire experience was surreal. Television, even in HD does nothing for the sheer beauty of the course. I took a TON of pictures but after looking through them, was not able to capture the elegance and perfection that has been obtained.

One major advantage of going to a practice round is they allow cameras of all shapes and sizes in. Cameras are not allowed on tournament days. I was not all that interested in the golfers on the course as I have seen them plenty of times, although Mickelson had his usual Tuesday game and was playing with Dustin Johnson, Fowler and Snedeker so I was able to snap a few pics of those guys together.

Definite Bucket list item for sure.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Never been to Augusta. I went to the open when it was at Bethpage in '02. Saw it when it came to Oakmont as well. The thing that struck me the most was the sheer volume of people following Tiger around. It was incredible to watch this mass of bodies waddling around, keeping pace with him.

Haven't gotten out this year, but I'm hoping the rain breaks for the weekend and I can at least get to the range. Gotta favor Bubba this weekend, though I'm always hopeful Sergio will pull one out. :laugh:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
for the longest time I was of the mindset that Golf was not a sport...until I played it.

It is THE definition of finesse combined with mental toughness.

To be able to select a certain club, swing it with the proper touch to get a little ball within in 20 yards of of a hole four inches in diameter is so ****ing hard.

The concentration needed on every swing can be mentally draining.

I started back in 2007. Asked to be a fill in for the golf league my company sponsored and after the first time, I asked to be called whenever needed. I've been playing since.

I still suck (barely touch 95) but I have fun.

Can't wait to get out there soon. Richter Park is calling lol

Hobgoblin Steve

Bacon of Light
Feb 5, 2009
Bay Ridge
theres a live stream for a few different groups available at master.com if anyone wants to watch or listen. I'm listening to group 2 on my work comp

TrueBlue9

Apr 23, 2007
Tiger Woods caddy is wearing a New York Ranger T shirt under his caddy attire. Also he is listed as caddy '94. :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad