Goldie and Potvin

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I like Goldie but I think his homerism is a little out of hand. However I have reason to believe that Potvin has helped guide Goldie into this pit of biased announcing.

I would be fine if Moller took over for Potvin and/or have Bill Lindsay return to TV.

Thissssss. This exactly. Lindsey was a good analyst. Hated the move when it happened, and my initial emotions have been proven to be spot on.
I didn't like Potvin the first time he was here either, did the same thing he does now, completely ignores the game and talks about nothing related to it, and hijacks the broadcast right as the intenses heat of the action is going on.

And yes, Goldie is totally influenced by Potvin. Put him back with Lindsey and he'd be fine.
Potvin has had an effect on Goldie no doubt, but Goldie started to sound more homer-ish after the lockout. He already whined about non-calls back then and pumped the young guys tyres.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I think Potvin just had it and voiced his frustration that so many of us have over the officiating the last few games. I mean, we've gotten 1 pp over the last two games, and just had to watch as our 19 year old franchise defenseman got annihilated and fell to the ice helmetless, with no call on the play. Now he's got a concussion and it's probably the beginning of what's going to be a lingering issue his whole career. Basically, he just got Crosby'd. I could care less if anyone's feelings are hurt because of a peanut butter or lowlife comment. Cherry does twice as bad every single week.

What!

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
What do you guys expect? Theyre not objective journalists, theyre basically an extension of the Panthers PR staff. Theyre paid to entertain and attract new viewers via selling the young players/streaks etc.

catEye

The Barkov Era
Dec 27, 2008
Miami, FL.
How many times did he say the 20 year old when Barkov was on the ice? And when Eklbad is in is the 19 year old. For goodness sake I already know everyones age, you remind me every game!

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
How many times did he say the 20 year old when Barkov was on the ice? And when Eklbad is in is the 19 year old. For goodness sake I already know everyones age, you remind me every game!

I love watching the 43 year old too

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
What do you guys expect? Theyre not objective journalists, theyre basically an extension of the Panthers PR staff. Theyre paid to entertain and attract new viewers via selling the young players/streaks etc.

I agree with this. You see this if you follow Goldie on twitter.

I like Goldie. Potvin is alright, but I need breaks for him. That's why I've continued the practice of watching the opposing teams feeds when Panthers are away.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
his head didn't slam into the ice, iirc

Maybe not slam, but it hit the ice without a helmet. Anyway, that's not even the worst part. Hendricks absolutely piledrived his head into the boards, it looked like as hard as he could. I don't want to even think of the force his head hit the boards with. I'm shocked he was even able to return.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Maybe not slam, but it hit the ice without a helmet. Anyway, that's not even the worst part. Hendricks absolutely piledrived his head into the boards, it looked like as hard as he could. I don't want to even think of the force his head hit the boards with. I'm shocked he was even able to return.

his head didn't hit the ice, thankfully. not sure why his helmet came off either. he needs to keep it on tighter.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL

A lot of people are pissed about this, and think it was negligent by the Panthers. I know there's a protocol, and I don't think our med staff puts him back out unless he passed it initially.

But the current protocol obviously needs to be changed. If concussion symptoms are appearing day after the game/days later/ maybe even weeks, months later (thinking of Bjugstad) there's no way they should risk putting him back on the ice after a hit like that, especially after he crumbled on his first attempt to even get up...

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
A lot of people are pissed about this, and think it was negligent by the Panthers. I know there's a protocol, and I don't think our med staff puts him back out unless he passed it initially.

But the current protocol obviously needs to be changed. If concussion symptoms are appearing day after the game/days later/ maybe even weeks, months later (thinking of Bjugstad) there's no way they should risk putting him back on the ice after a hit like that, especially after he crumbled on his first attempt to even get up...

All professional sports just have an inexplicaby archaic approach to concussions.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i always thought goldie had a fantastic tv voice, but man has he been brutal lately. his homerism/obnoxiousness has been pretty high, and (this isnt an insult, so don't take it that way) his love for huberdeau is bridging on creepy. i swear, the man must have a shrine of him in his closet. [mod] he's played wayyy better the last 25 games or so and i love how he's playing right now, but he could maybe dial it down a little, the guy can't walk on water...even though its frozen water.

i wouldnt mind having randy and bill lindsay do the tv with goldie and plagens on radio.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I'm fine with Potvin as long as Fox Sports Florida includes a drink counter on the broadcast.

f5e62.gif

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I must say I've been a little surprised reading negative comments about Goldie and Potvin being homers.

I like it. The reason being that I can watch the game and see what's going on myself. I don't need the commentators being impartial observers. I can follow the game of hockey just fine without it thank you very much.

I like the homerism. No. I love it. (Not saying these two guys are the best at it, but in general.)

For comparison's sake, and the Finns here will get this, nothing beats the Finnish commenters when we beat Sweden for the gold. Or when we just beat Russia in U18. Great announcing and total homerism. Totally unapologetically one-sided partial homerism.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I was happy too when it was announced that Potvin would be coming back. His knowledge of the game in the past and stories he told would be enjoyable to listen to. However, while I don't hate him now, his homerism and comments that make you say "Whaaa???" make me shake my head. Henricks was indeed an idiot and Sedin might have been wrong for going up to the Panthers bench, but you just don't say that as a professional broadcaster.

I watched Lindsay tonight on the NHL Network as he sometimes sits in when the Cats are on the road. He really is a knowledgeable hockey guy and I feel has improved quite a bit as a broadcaster compared to when he'd sound nervous on the air. I miss how him and Goldie would collaborate so well. I love Goldie, but I do notice his homerism has gone up quite a bit since Potvin joined the broadcast.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I must say I've been a little surprised reading negative comments about Goldie and Potvin being homers.

I like it. The reason being that I can watch the game and see what's going on myself. I don't need the commentators being impartial observers. I can follow the game of hockey just fine without it thank you very much.

I like the homerism. No. I love it. (Not saying these two guys are the best at it, but in general.)

For comparison's sake, and the Finns here will get this, nothing beats the Finnish commenters when we beat Sweden for the gold. Or when we just beat Russia in U18. Great announcing and total homerism. Totally unapologetically one-sided partial homerism.

For me it gets tiring listening to a circle**** about how great the Panthers are. How many times a game is Barkov is only 20, Ekblad 19, Jagr is going to be 44 years old folks heard?

And I hate the whining by Potvin on every single penalty "I don't think that stick caught him up high, that is a weak call" *Replay shows Panther lumberjack chopping opposition in the face* "that looks like a dive to me " *replay shows Panther stick caught between skate blade and stick*

I knew Potvin was terrible because I had heard him on Ottawa broadcasts, but Goldie has gotten exponentially worse in the last 3 years. He was decent. I wonder if FSF told him to be more of a homer.

EstConf96*

For me it gets tiring listening to a circle**** about how great the Panthers are. How many times a game is Barkov is only 20, Ekblad 19, Jagr is going to be 44 years old folks heard?

And I hate the whining by Potvin on every single penalty "I don't think that stick caught him up high, that is a weak call" *Replay shows Panther lumberjack chopping opposition in the face* "that looks like a dive to me " *replay shows Panther stick caught between skate blade and stick*

I knew Potvin was terrible because I had heard him on Ottawa broadcasts, but Goldie has gotten exponentially worse in the last 3 years. He was decent. I wonder if FSF told him to be more of a homer.

Guess they have to since we are making new fans for each game? The bandwaggon is for real.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I remember how people here disliked Lindsey, but he was a charismatic funny guy. He doesnt look so bad now?:naughty:

We should make a Potvin drinkinggame.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I remember how people here disliked Lindsey, but he was a charismatic funny guy. He doesnt look so bad now?:naughty:

We should make a Potvin drinkinggame.

Every time Potvin opens his mouth, take a sip. No need for elaborate rules since that's about the frequency of stupid ****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad