Golden Knights Trademark Issue Thread.

Jun 6, 2016
You may be sick of it but it's not BS. 500 million isn't 50,000. 500 m is a lot of money. Some countries would get a huge boost to their economy with 500m. He has the right to call it what he wants. Thought he could've named it Silver Knights and avoided all these headaches.

We can be disappointed in the name. But he has the right to call the team what he wants. Now he has to shoulder the burden of his decision.

I feel like this sums it up.

If I made a pink and gray team called the baby hippos would you still support it just because I brought hockey to you and you should be grateful?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Well, this may have gotten a little more complicated.

I figured the team would ask permission from CoSR (who wouldn't really care if there was another Golden Knights team out there) and perhaps throw them a few dollars for the consideration. However, they're kind of taking a hard line on their name.

Of course, it could just be some college student taking the opportunity to get some social media buzz. If it's not, there may be a little battle brewing.

Then again, the college has coexisted with other Golden Knights for a while (Clarkson, formerly UCF) so who knows what's going to happen.

Last edited:

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
^ Kill me. I'd prefer the Vegas Purple Sparkly Knights to a soccer reference.

The logo is really good, and I would say the vast majority of people really like it as do I.

Were looking at the word "Golden" here and that's it. You just find another name for an ancient armor wearing warrior here.

Crusader, Legion, Knights Templar, Cataphracts, Conquistadors, etc. etc.

Las Vegas Legion I have to admit is probably the best name I've ever heard (because I haven't heard it before and it just popped in my head though that's just probably due to lack of research)

Im tempted to buy a couple hundred bucks worth of gear just in case the name is changed. Hold it for 10 years, and sell it as a collectors item haha.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
We'll see if they send out a cease and desist order. As I recall, that's when the real stuff happens in trademark law.

The USPTO is stronger than the C&D - the C&D would be more of a negotiating strategy.

It comes down to the class of goods and use. Someone will be amending their use and a formal consent between the school and the NHL will be agreed to and submitted to the USPTO examiner.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I'd bet in 10-15 years the team will just be known as the Knights anyway... just like what happened with the Ducks

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
I'm definitely enjoying this.

What exactly are you enjoying about this. As a season ticket holder that has waited for years for Las Vegas to be invited into the NHL I find this whole thing embarrassing and frustrating. However I find it even more strange that alleged fans of a team that has yet to hit the ice are already bashing the ownership and organization.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Shouldn't have been so stubborn and treasure his own selfish history when naming the team.

Don't give me the 500 mill BS either. Sick of that.

Yeah, I'm a little annoyed by that argument too. I understand the message. I certainly would want final say if it was my 500 mill but I counter that with this: It's not as though Foley bought a yacht. Buy a yacht, it's yours. Name it whatever the hell you want. This is a city's team. If the people of the city overwhelmingly hate your idea, maybe get over yourself and come to a compromise.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I kinda like the shade that the team just threw at everyone by including the TM in their logo image with this tweet:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I kinda like the shade that the team just threw at everyone by including the TM in their logo image with this tweet:

They've got to do that to claim the trademark in Las Vegas. It is kind of funny, though.

Let's see if they get their ® to replace it someday.

Florida is using the TM until their new logo is approved as well.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
What exactly are you enjoying about this. As a season ticket holder that has waited for years for Las Vegas to be invited into the NHL I find this whole thing embarrassing and frustrating. However I find it even more strange that alleged fans of a team that has yet to hit the ice are already bashing the ownership and organization.

Yeah I take no enjoyment in this and how someone who wants to be a fan of this team can is a little beyond me.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
:teach: Change the name to "Vegas Nevada Knights" with "Nevada Knights" the official nickname and let us all unofficially call them the Knights and put all legal issues to bed.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Hopefully, this turns out better than a horror story in the '90's CFL history:

Baltimore had planned on calling their Canadian Football team the "Colts", when they began play in 1994. Had merchandise and souvenirs, etc. The NFL sued, and won an injunction just a matter of hours before their first game. So, they had to get rid of all the "Colts"-named goods, and any advertising that went along with it.

They ended up having to be named the "Baltimore CFL's" for the first season, before choosing the name "Stallions" for the next year. Ended up winning the Grey Cup in 1995, being the only American team to ever do so, before moving to Montreal in '96.

I don't really care how the name issue works out. Just say NO to the "Las Vegas NHL'ers"!
:laugh:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Hopefully, this turns out better than a horror story in the '90's CFL history:

Baltimore had planned on calling their Canadian Football team the "Colts", when they began play in 1994. Had merchandise and souvenirs, etc. The NFL sued, and won an injunction just a matter of hours before their first game. So, they had to get rid of all the "Colts"-named goods, and any advertising that went along with it.

They ended up having to be named the "Baltimore CFL's" for the first season, before choosing the name "Stallions" for the next year. Ended up winning the Grey Cup in 1995, being the only American team to ever do so, before moving to Montreal in '96.

I don't really care how the name issue works out. Just say NO to the "Las Vegas NHL'ers"!
:laugh:

Please do not remind us of that dark period in CFL history. I have nothing against US franchises in the CFL, as long as they are located in Canada. :D

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
pringlewcup.jpg

Baltimore wins the oldest trophy in pro football!

:yo: Good memories. Quarterback Tracy Ham, running back Mike Pringle, defensive lineman Jerald Baylis, .... ah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad