Golden Knights Trademark Issue Thread.

member 151739

The logos aren't even remotely similar. Their logo is a standard armet.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The logos aren't even remotely similar. Their logo is a standard armet.

I think it might be the actual name that's getting denied, I'm still trying to read through the legalese.

Plus, there's no definition of types of armor in the trademark law. A knight helmet is a knight helmet is a knight helmet. However, if it's coming down to the logo, the V shape in their helmet might cause enough confusion for a trademark attorney to deny.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Okay, got through it.

As a disclaimer, I'm not an attorney at all and the extent of my trademark knowledge goes as far as my own experiences with the USPTO and my personal trademark registrations.

It looks to me like this is a denial of a type logo (meaning words) likely the Vegas Golden Knights logo with the little stars and without the helmet (which doesn't have wording.)

I don't think the name is the issue, but rather that single instance of Vegas Golden Knights. This one:
vegas_golden_knights_wordmark.png

Again, I'm not an expert, just putting together what I've read in the decision and doing almost zero extra work like referencing actual applications. If what I know and read is correct, they'll likely just have to stop using that exact version of the branding or submit their response to keep using it and pursue trademark approval.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yeah, that's the only part that the school seems to have issue with.

Geez, this sounds like a cash grab.

From what I'm reading, it doesn't look like the school has an issue at all.

This appears to be the USPTO trademark attorney doing their job and denying the mark due to potential confusion with the school. I'm guessing they're as surprised by this as Foley.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That's fine, but Foley = Name Debacle

It's fair to criticize him for the path he chose to end up in this **** pile.

I suppose. But it's already a bummer these days as it is without people jumping down the throat of the guy who made a team here possible.

Jun 6, 2016
I suppose. But it's already a bummer these days as it is without people jumping down the throat of the guy who made a team here possible.

Shouldn't have been so stubborn and treasure his own selfish history when naming the team.

Don't give me the 500 mill BS either. Sick of that.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I actually feel bad for the fans and the organization. They are already getting flack for Quebec being passed over. Flack for the glitch in the reveal and now this.
Does anyone think there will be prop bets for total wins next season?

Jun 6, 2016
I actually feel bad for the fans and the organization. They are already getting flack for Quebec being passed over. Flack for the glitch in the reveal and now this.
Does anyone think there will be prop bets for total wins next season?
There was already prop bets for total points next year. I can't remember the exact number I want to say 72.5

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Shouldn't have been so stubborn and treasure his own selfish history when naming the team.

Don't give me the 500 mill BS either. Sick of that.

You may be sick of it but it's not BS. 500 million isn't 50,000. 500 m is a lot of money. Some countries would get a huge boost to their economy with 500m. He has the right to call it what he wants. Thought he could've named it Silver Knights and avoided all these headaches.

We can be disappointed in the name. But he has the right to call the team what he wants. Now he has to shoulder the burden of his decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad