GDT: Golden Knights @ Oilers - 6:30 PM - SNWest / SN1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Just read the rules on emergency callups, and I’m curious how the Oilers were able to call up Holloway as an emergency callup, when they already have 18+ healthy skaters.

I don't understand it either as they also had the cap space to do it anyways, so no need to call it an "emergency". In fact, assuming the typical site are accurate for cap space they could technically call up 3 more guys right now legally, though I've heard that the actual cap number is slightly lower than reported on those sites.

There was one point where I *think* they were the only podcast that did one after every game. They were innovators in a sense at one point. I used to listen after every game, but they've been passed by. Podcast like Got Yer Back are measures better than what they bring.
Mostly that's just Strudwick though. Rishaug just uses it as a means to blame Bouchard for everything.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004

Gazzola saying up to a week to heal.... As long as he's good for the playoffs.. that's good news

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Gazzola saying up to a week to heal.... As long as he's good for the playoffs.. that's good news

Figured so based on the fact that he already had 3 days off and was missing the Vegas game. He'll be fine.

Time to see what this team can do without McDavid for a few games again. I dread seeing how many times Draisaitl will turn the puck over tonight. lol

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
View attachment 849352
Wondering what you guys think of this player poll put out by the NHLPA - I know that McDavid has been a dog in his own end this year but didn't think he'd be up there with the likes of Slavin, Makar, and Hedman

The main board had thoughts that players misunderstood the question lol

I suspect a big part of this is them knowing that any misstep in the offensive zone can quickly turn into a goal against. So they have to play a bit more conservative than typical. Whereas the others are more likely because of the quality of their defending except maybe Makar for similar reasons to McDavid.

I listen to pretty much every GYB podcat and I have no idea how you arrived at that conclusion.
I listen almost every time, and I'm exaggerating a bit, but he's very quick to jump on the typical scapegoats like Bouchard. Strudwick is typically very balanced in his handling of Bouchard (and everyone really).

One of the most recent ones didn't even lead to a significant scoring chance against when Ceci was scored against on his error in the same game.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Figured so based on the fact that he already had 3 days off and was missing the Vegas game. He'll be fine.

Time to see what this team can do without McDavid for a few games again. I dread seeing how many times Draisaitl will turn the puck over tonight. lol
Did Draisaitl run over your dog or something? All I hear from you is negativity about him.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
In the long run I think this could be a blessing in disguise (assuming the injury isn't an actual medium/long term concern). If we show up and play a solid 60 minute game with 20 contributors and win I think that will be a massive, massive motivator going into the playoffs.
That's how I'm choosing to look at this. Long-term it would be catastrophic. But this is a real good chance for Draisaitl, leadership group and team to step up in a big game showdown. Good test and something that can galvanize this team at this critical final stage of playoff preparation.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

Sounds like mixed messages about McDavid's status. Knoblauch says "game time decision" and yet Gazzola says a week. Which is it? My worry is that Connor has most of the input in the decision and will rush back too soon.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Sounds like mixed messages about McDavid's status. Knoblauch says "game time decision" and yet Gazzola says a week. Which is it? My worry is that Connor has most of the input in the decision and will rush back too soon.
Connor has been extremely responsible with every injury he's had. There's no reason to worry

Reactions: ujju2

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I listen almost every time, and I'm exaggerating a bit, but he's very quick to jump on the typical scapegoats like Bouchard. Strudwick is typically very balanced in his handling of Bouchard (and everyone really).

One of the most recent ones didn't even lead to a significant scoring chance against when Ceci was scored against on his error in the same game.
Biases exist everywhere...thats especially true on HF. :nod:

I actually think that they have pretty good balance on that podcast and I think that you have to consider that if they agreed on everything the podcast would get pretty boring. I like that they table different persepctives on things and hash them out.
IMO on here Ceci gets too much hate and Bouchard gets a free pass. Part of that is because there is a contingent on here that really want this team to have a Norris contender and they just wont stand for any arguments that might highlight reasons why Bouchrad may not be a Legit Norris contender.
Thats fine.
I found the same thing with Nurse...posters on here grinding Ceci for plays that are clearly Nurses fault. simply because they dont like Ceci.

Its hard to put biases on a shelf and just look at a player objectively. I try very hard to do that and I dont always suceed.

So getting a truly objective perspective on a player is really difficult IMO. Even some of the analytics dont provide enough context and yet posters will use that data as if its absolutely irrefutable objective evidence.

What I like about GYB is that I think that they try and offer differing opinions that require a supporting argument. Rishaug is actively trying to offer an opinion/perspective different from Struckwick...same with Brown sometimes.
I think that makes the podcast much more interesting especially if the opinion I am hearing differs from my own opinion.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Biases exist everywhere...thats especially true on HF. :nod:

I actually think that they have pretty good balance on that podcast and I think that you have to consider that if they agreed on everything the podcast would get pretty boring. I like that they table different persepctives on things and hash them out.
IMO on here Ceci gets too much hate and Bouchard gets a free pass. Part of that is because there is a contingent on here that really want this team to have a Norris contender and they just wont stand for any arguments that might highlight reasons why Bouchrad may not be a Legit Norris contender. Thast fine.
I found the same thing with Nurse...posters on here grinding Ceci for plays that are clearly Nurses fault. simply because they dont like Ceci.
Its hard to put biases on a shelf and just look at a player objectively. I try very hard to do that and I dont always suceed.

So getting a truly objective perspective on a player is really difficult IMO. Even some of the analytics dont provide enough context and yet posters will use that data as if its absolutely irrefutable objective evidence.

What I like about GYB is that I think that they try and offer differing opinions that require a supporting argument. Rishaug is actively trying to offer an opinion/perspective different from Struckwick...same with Brown sometimes.
I think that makes the podcast much more interesting especially if the opinion I am hearing differs from my own opinion.

For the most part I agree completely especially since they brought Brown in.

Brown on GYB is much better than he is on the Ched post-game and I think it's because of the interplay with Strudwick and him which ultimately delegates Rishaug more to a host role which he is much better at than being in a analyst role where he has some worts.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
For the most part I agree completely especially since they brought Brown in.

Brown on GYB is much better than he is on the Ched post-game and I think it's because of the interplay with Strudwick and him which ultimately delegates Rishaug more to a host role which he is much better at than being in a analyst role where he has some worts.
Good point. :nod:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Still very likely the Kings (about 68% likely).
Not if the Kings can help it. The only King that scored last night was Akil Thomas who apparently didn't get the memo. The rest of the Kings were tripping over bluelines, running into each other and passing off on shots when they were generally doing nothing out there. Would have been around 50 stumble and falling down episodes as well.

If you watched the game last night one would assume it was the Ducks, not the Kings headed to playoffs. The Kings were horrible. Couldn't execute or generate anything dangerous. Even on PP.

Combine this with Vegas allowing 6 third period goals the other night to lose a game to the Coyotes that they were winning 4-1 and the derby is looking suspicious.

I was first joking about the avoidance and that the Kings/Knights were avoiding 3rd place and a date with the Oilers but now I'm not sure.

The STL Blues were the last potential WC threat to keep the race honest. They're only mathematically that at present, not realistically a playoff threat.

I don’t get the reference, but that’s ok. I think.
A poster that would generate 3page long blockposts full of random statistics. He was the boards equivalent of this:

1712775796053.png

Reactions: brentashton

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The worry I have now with the wording ongoing is it suggests nagging injury, and one wonders if it was the alleged nagging injury, or one of, that McD had suffered earlier in season.

Just seems like the condition could be ongoing to some degree. We've seen that sort of thing before with Draisaitl.

I'm glad if McD gets the rest, I hope that he doesn't play until last game of season. But I wonder as others if McD himself wouldn't assert coming back earlier. Its not in his DNA to be off.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Vegas sure has a lot of impactful players out of the lineup.

It's a good thing the league allows for LTIR.

Imagine being able to rest your important players for a month or more before the playoffs and having the bonus of having a stacked roster activated for the postseason.

Reactions: Porkleaker

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Not if the Kings can help it. The only King that scored last night was Akil Thomas who apparently didn't get the memo. The rest of the Kings were tripping over bluelines, running into each other and passing off on shots when they were generally doing nothing out there. Would have been around 50 stumble and falling down episodes as well.

If you watched the game last night one would assume it was the Ducks, not the Kings headed to playoffs. The Kings were horrible. Couldn't execute or generate anything dangerous. Even on PP.

Combine this with Vegas allowing 6 third period goals the other night to lose a game to the Coyotes that they were winning 4-1 and the derby is looking suspicious.

I was first joking about the avoidance and that the Kings/Knights were avoiding 3rd place and a date with the Oilers but now I'm not sure.

The STL Blues were the last potential WC threat to keep the race honest. They're only mathematically that at present, not realistically a playoff threat.

A poster that would generate 3page long blockposts full of random statistics. He was the boards equivalent of this:

View attachment 849382

Lol. To be fair, I didn't watch last night, but listened to the final five minutes when I got into bed. Sounds like they had no shots in the first 15 minutes of the third. Ouch. The team better not try too hard to drop in the standings as Nashville is pushing the agenda of taking the first wild card.

And while I sort of understand the desire to play Vancouver first, then Edmonton, it could fall apart and force them to play Dallas first, then Colorado. Not exactly an easy path with both teams being the only teams to represent the Central in the Conference finals since 2019 (excluding the shortened season as only three of the typical Central division teams were in the Central that year)

Is that mostly based on the Kings soft schedule ?
Mostly, and if there is a tie, they'd likely have the tiebreaker as well as they currently have 2RW more than VGK. That said after tonight both teams have the exact same schedule, so if Vegas wins tonight the odds likely shift towards Vegas being the likely 3rd place team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mav3rick07

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Soft just occurred last night. The Kings were drubbed by ducks and charmin and a back up goalie, it wasn't even Gibson stoning.

Possibly. But that was the Kings first regulation loss vs. a bottom 5 team. Expecting them to do it two more times in a week is either wishful thinking or (as you suggest) them deliberately losing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad