• Kazakhstan

• Italy

• Austria

• Great Britain

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I spent a day in Tampere yesterday and the whole city-center was full of hockey-fans.

Unfortunately I couldn't help feeling that Tampere, despite being the second city of Finland, is just too small for an event like this.
Tampere is in fact only the 3rd biggest city in Finland. After Helsinki and Espoo. And as they play in Tampere in a brand new and very nice arena, that can have over 13 000 people in the crowd, it doesn’t really matter how big the city is itself. The population of 250 000 people is anyway just fine for hosting an event like this. Especially as the city is pretty much a hockey crazy city.

Reactions: FinPanda and Hasa92

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Tampere is in fact only the 3rd biggest city in Finland. After Helsinki and Espoo. And as they play in Tampere in a brand new and very nice arena, that can have over 13 000 people in the crowd, it doesn’t really matter how big the city is itself. The population of 250 000 people is anyway just fine for hosting an event like this. Especially as the city is pretty much a hockey crazy city.
Honestly, there isn’t a better option than Tampere, Helsinki is the only other option within Finland really.

Reactions: Ippenator

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's always good when you can see the tournament across the host city, in Paris you walk two blocks from the arena and you wouldn't know there's a major hockey event going on.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Honestly, there isn’t a better option than Tampere, Helsinki is the only other option within Finland really.
Well maybe Turku also, as they have a pretty good and big arena there too, and the city is also quite enthusiastic about hockey. But I agree that Tampere is anyway the best option. Helsinki is fine too, although a shame that the biggest arena there isn’t available for using at the moment, because it was stupidly sold to Russian owners already years ago.

It’s stupid in general to sell locally important infrastructure to any foreign owned companies. Sure, I know that money talks, but still it’s stupid and short sighted.

morkkis35

Aug 9, 2017
Well maybe Turku also, as they have a pretty good and big arena there too, and the city is also quite enthusiastic about hockey. But I agree that Tampere is anyway the best option. Helsinki is fine too, although a shame that the biggest arena there isn’t available for using at the moment, because it was stupidly sold to Russian owners already years ago.

It’s stupid in general to sell locally important infrastructure to any foreign owned companies. Sure, I know that money talks, but still it’s stupid and short sighted.
I think its actually lucky they dont play in a bigger arena. If there are only like 3'600ish ppl at the games (helsinki) its nonsense to play in a place like Hartwall Arena. Even Helsinki Jäähalli is too big for this sad attendance. I gotta say attendance is kind of disappointing. But obviously the banning of the Russian team has also an influence on that.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think its actually lucky they dont play in a bigger arena. If there are only like 3'600ish ppl at the games (helsinki) its nonsense to play in a place like Hartwall Arena. Even Helsinki Jäähalli is too big for this sad attendance. I gotta say attendance is kind of disappointing. But obviously the banning of the Russian team has also an influence on that.
Nokia Arena in Tampere is at least as big as Hartwall arena and at least in the games that Finland has played there, the arena has been practically full. Of course the arena’s arent even close to being full unless Finland and maybe Sweden (as Sweden is so close to Finland that it might be easy for a lot of Swedish fans to come here) are playing. Of course when the playoff round start, there will be bigger attendances in general.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Now that the Swedes have Nylander.. I'd say this is Sweden's to win. No crossover against FInland in quarters either. Clear path to Semi's.

I'm not changing my votes from Czechs but that is pure bias on my part.lol

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Now that the Swedes have Nylander.. I'd say this is Sweden's to win. No crossover against FInland in quarters either. Clear path to Semi's.

Canada, Sweden, Finland and Czechs should be top 4 in no particular order

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I can't see how getting just Nylander puts Sweden as the favourite. That's a team that still seems to be offensively challenged. A good team, but gold faves?.......I dunno.

I don't think any team has shown enough to be called a favourite yet myself.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Swedens coaching is still horrible. As is the forward group outside of Nylander. Swedens forward group is bascially half good SHL grinders.

Power rankings right now:

1: Canada
2: Finland
3: Switzerland
4: Germany
5: Czechia
6: USA
7: Denmark
8: Sweden

• Haha
Reactions: FinPanda

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Swedens coaching is still horrible. As is the forward group outside of Nylander. Swedens forward group is bascially half good SHL grinders.

No.

1. Canada
2. Switzerland
3. Sweden
4. Finland
5. Czechia
6. Germany
7. USA
.. rest

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009

Yeah, Sweden is definitely behind the mighty Danes. I mean they scored 2 goals combined against Italy, Switzerland and Germany, hope Sweden can reach that level of offensive power one day...

Seriously, what is your purpose an SWE? You were sure they get relegated pre-tournament and now after that is not possible anymore you come up with more ridiculous rankings..

Reactions: FinPanda

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yeah, Sweden is definitely behind the mighty Danes. I mean they scored 2 goals combined against Italy, Switzerland and Germany, hope Sweden can reach that level of offensive power one day...

Seriously, what is your purpose an SWE? You were sure they get relegated pre-tournament and now after that is not possible anymore you come up with more ridiculous rankings..
Danes have Ehlers + many high level skilled offensive players from top european leagues. Swedish forward group is Nylander + grinding SHL forwards. Also Heinz Ehlers and Lilja are much better coaches than Garpenlöv and his gang. Denmark won over us 2 times last year. If Sweden meets Danmark in qf then anything else than a Danish win is a major upset.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Danes have Ehlers + many high level skilled offensive players from top european leagues. Swedish forward group is Nylander + grinding SHL forwards. Also Heinz Ehlers and Lilja are much better coaches than Garpenlöv and his gang. Denmark won over us 2 times last year. If Sweden meets Danmark in qf then anything else than a Danish win is a major upset.
Good point, DEN won 2 out of the last 23 games against SWE. Is that why you see them as favourites?
They will be major underdogs and rightfully so.

I'm sure you know that as well but either you're on some weird troll job or want to provocate pro-swedish reactions to your funny statements, who knows....

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I can't see how getting just Nylander puts Sweden as the favourite. That's a team that still seems to be offensively challenged. A good team, but gold faves?.......I dunno.

I don't think any team has shown enough to be called a favourite yet myself.
Nylander was 32 points in his last 18 games at the World's. He's a bit terrifying here.

Ullmark might be the best NHL goalie here? Elvis, Vejmelka, Thompson, Swayman (who I'd want the most for the Oilers) I think are the big names from NHL. I could be missing someone though.

Without those 2... they are undefeated. Absolutely smoked my Czechs in a clinical beatdown and beat the FInn's with their golden coach (no sarcasm, big fan of him). 17 goals for and 6 against.

They only have one tough matchup left before quarters and it is today! USA. So watch the US beat them and cast a shadow on all of it.haha

Deepest blue line here IMO.

I don't disagree that it may be too soon to call a favorite and sometimes new players showing up late hurts chemistry as well (eg. I'm glad Czech roster is complete).

We will see. My gold is a quarter win and 2 extra games next weekend!

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Nylander was 32 points in his last 18 games at the World's. He's a bit terrifying here.

Ullmark might be the best NHL goalie here? Elvis, Vejmelka, Thompson, Swayman (who I'd want the most for the Oilers) I think are the big names from NHL. I could be missing someone though.

Without those 2... they are undefeated. Absolutely smoked my Czechs in a clinical beatdown and beat the FInn's with their golden coach (no sarcasm, big fan of him). 17 goals for and 6 against.

They only have one tough matchup left before quarters and it is today! USA. So watch the US beat them and cast a shadow on all of it.haha

I don't disagree that it may be too soon to call a favorite and sometimes new players showing up late hurts chemistry as well (eg. I'm glad Czech roster is complete).

Legitimate points. I do like their defense for sure and yes the goalie situation is good. Nylander as good as he is is only one guy and though they beat Finland yesterday I thought they were fortunate to do so and didn't create a lot of offensive opportunities for most of the game, it was a shootout win in a 2-2 game. Not enough to go on for me to make them the faves yet with or without Nylander.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Major upset is only if Sweden doesn't win against Danes. Your negativity towards Swedish hockey is annoying.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

There goes the favourite tag.

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Sweden could not even win against a half-bad USA.
No team wins every game, Well it happens but its uncommon. Ullmark and Pettersson just got here aswell.

If you look at it this way: None of the top contenders have been consistently impressive, Finland has been so-so Czechia has a bit of an identity crisis, or had, Canada has been shaky and a bit unmotivated, the US played Well today but has been an unmitigated disaster at times aswell. From this perspective Sweden might have been the most consistent.
Lang and Åman have been consistently awesome, OEL aswell, goaltending has been consistently shaky and Nordström is consistently trying to hit new lows.
Kidding aside. There are ups and downs. No way to say how this is gonna pan out yet. Forgot to mention Switzerland here.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Qf right now if Czechia wins over Norway:

Finland - Denmark
Switzerland - USA
Canada - Czechia
Sweden - Germany

Eazy win for Finland

Swiss favorites but watch out, USA better than people think.

Canada and Czechia is 50-50.

Germany - Sweden is 70-30 to Germany

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad