GDT: Gold Medal Game - May 26 - Canada vs Finland

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
IMO Czechs were more dangerous than Canada is so this is a perfect final. That semifinal Murray dominated over Czechs goalie and that was the only difference, Czechs were all around better in that game.

Finland 3-2

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
IMO Czechs were more dangerous than Canada is so this is a perfect final. That semifinal Murray dominated over Czechs goalie and that was the only difference, Czechs were all around better in that game.

Finland 3-2
I think you need to rewatch that game then, I mean cmon man.

I know there is going to be some bravado from both sides and hot takes claiming this and that concerning todays results before game time but let's not go overboard here. I wouldn't be able to take myself seriously if I came in here and said I thought the Russians were the better team all around against the Finns yesterday. I can't make stuff up just because I am cheering for Canada in this tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeK

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
This is my dream matchup. I'm Canadian but I also cheer for Finland as they are the only other country in the world where hockey is the most popular sport.
So while I'll be cheering for Canada I won't feel too bad if Finland wins.

Cheers, likewise. Everytime when Finland is not playing I'm rooting for Canada, the greatest country on Earth. But of course I have to root for my home country. Sick team, sick tournament. Let's have a good game.

Reactions: Rob

Great99

Apr 12, 2016
Just please no shoot out, please.

Just an awful way to end games of this magnitude.

There is not SO in the final

• In the Gold Medal Game, 20-minute sudden-death overtime periods will be played until the winning goal is scored. Between each period, there will be a 15-minute intermission during which the ice will be resurfaced.
  • The teams will not change ends.
  • The overtime period shall be played with each team at the numerical strength of three (3) skaters and one (1) goaltender.
  • The team which scores a goal in overtime is declared winner.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think this match up is the best the tournament can ask for and most fitting.

With all due respect to the rest of the hockey playing world these are the two most hockey crazed nations on the planet, the 2 countries that hockey is clearly the most popular sport and the game is most venerated.

And the circumstances in which both countries find themselves here is a wonderful story too,one country comes in with hardly any nhl players and using mostly liga guys, the other comes in with what most people thought was a real underwhelming roster considering who could have come. The Finns then go out and shock everyone beating the on paper stronger powers, Canada lifts itself with dogged determination with the less then a second heroics.

You couldn't ask for a better match up in the finals at this whc, it's perfect.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
There is not SO in the final

• In the Gold Medal Game, 20-minute sudden-death overtime periods will be played until the winning goal is scored. Between each period, there will be a 15-minute intermission during which the ice will be resurfaced.
  • The teams will not change ends.
  • The overtime period shall be played with each team at the numerical strength of three (3) skaters and one (1) goaltender.
  • The team which scores a goal in overtime is declared winner.
:thumbu:

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
In Jesus Jalonen and his roarin' Finland Lions against the almighty Canada (O, Canada oh, well ...) and in Valtteri Bottas, Formula 1 from Monaco ya see, we trust today.

And of course in; Kimi Räikkönen! As true as always. Bad to the bone. A true Finn-jewel ...

A good day to die as a Finland born I was about to say; but we never ever surrender as one of (many!) great rockbands - Triumph - from Canada put it back in the day:

Reactions: king89 and Koijari

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
DON'T underestimate Canada. They're always able to bring their A-game in the finals and we're going to have to work our asses off if we want to win this thing.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Hopefully this game ends in 60 minutes it's better for Finland to avoid overtime.
And why Finland needs to avoid overtime ? because Canada has skill advantage if this game goes to overtime.

Finland can't take idiotic penalties at all and also they don't have afford to any mistakes with the puck.
I don't say who's gonna win but this game will be close.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
DON'T underestimate Canada. They're always able to bring their A-game in the finals and we're going to have to work our asses off if we want to win this thing.
Ditto. I mean I see some guys in here saying it's a done deal for Canada and I think they must have been drinking all night and it's carried on into the day here. I just can't see how they watched Finland play against Sweden and Russia and have come to that conclusion.

This is going to be a real dogged affair today.

Reactions: Koijari

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Ditto. I mean I see some guys in here saying it's a done deal for Canada and I think they must have been drinking all night and it's carried on into the day here. I just can't see how they watched Finland play against Sweden and Russia and have come to that conclusion.

This is going to be a real dogged affair today.
It's idiotic. First game of the tournament against Canada doesn't mean anything now (anybody remember 2016)? It's going to be an absolute duel and I hope my team works its ass off and goes to distance. Let the best team win.

Reactions: MikeK and illone84

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's idiotic. First game of the tournament against Canada doesn't mean anything now (anybody remember 2016)? It's going to be an absolute duel and I hope my team works its ass off and goes to distance. Let the best team win.
We can all throw the first game between these two teams out the window. Both teams are razor sharp and hungry now and playing their best hockey of the tournament by far. Watching the way Finland played against Russia yesterday was a real eye opener for me, even more so then the Swedish game, they didn't play shut it down hockey whatsoever like some people who just don't seem to know the game have been implying. They were aggressive and hounded them all over the ice and took the game to them all game long and Lantinen was brilliant.

This is going to be one hard fought affair.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Win or lose, hopefully the outcome will be some hungry top nhl talent willing to be play for Jukka Jalonen in Switzerland next year. Really want to see a core of: Rantanen, Laine, Aho, Kakko, Heiskanen, Lindell, Hintz etc. mixed in with Liiga/KHL talent. Even if it's a pipe dream. I can still dream!

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
We can all throw the first game between these two teams out the window. Both teams are razor sharp and hungry now and playing their best hockey of the tournament by far. Watching the way Finland played against Russia yesterday was a real eye opener for me, even more so then the Swedish game, they didn't play shut it down hockey whatsoever like some people who just don't seem to know the game have been implying. They were aggressive and hounded them all over the ice and took the game to them all game long and Lantinen was brilliant.

This is going to be one hard fought affair.
Who is this Lantinen you speak of? :sarcasm: In all honesty, Lankinen was solid. Surprised the hell out of me. He didn't look great against Sweden. In the 2016 final, Canada had added Ellis. I think he was a real difference maker in that final which Canada took home.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Win or lose, hopefully the outcome will be some hungry top nhl talent willing to be play for Jukka Jalonen in Switzerland next year. Really want to see a core of: Rantanen, Laine, Aho, Kakko, Heiskanen, Lindell, Hintz etc. mixed in with Liiga/KHL talent. Even if it's a pipe dream. I can still dream!
I hope so too, but if they decide to join, they must follow Jalonen's game plan and work as a team. Even if you make more money than rest of the team combined, you aren't entitled to anything.

Reactions: illone84

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I was checking TOI from yesterdays game and it appeared as though Jokiharju was last in minutes played of the 8 d. Seemed Lindbohm may have been next although it fluctuated by period.

The Finns D are all big and rangy, making it really difficult for teams to get inside and around the paint....Canada will need Stone's magic hands...deflections will be key.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
I hope so too, but if they decide to join, they must follow Jalonen's game plan and work as a team. Even if you make more money than rest of the team combined, you aren't entitled to anything.
Definitely. But it's comforting to know that Jalonen knows most of those young guys well from the 2016 wjc experience. I think they will buy into his system.

Reactions: Koijari

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Who is this Lantinen you speak of? :sarcasm: In all honesty, Lankinen was solid. Surprised the hell out of me. He didn't look great against Sweden. In the 2016 final, Canada had added Ellis. I think he was a real difference maker in that final which Canada took home.
lol, i always f*** his name up!! Unless I have gotten used to seeing the name of the player in the N.H.L then Finnish names can be pretty tough for me sometimes. I try my best:laugh:

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Definitely. But it's comforting to know that Jalonen knows most of those young guys well from the 2016 wjc experience. I think they will buy into his system.
Jalonen himself said at the press conference yesterday that they expect lots of guys to come from the NHL next year. I think it will be a solid team in 2020! Also, WJC in Czech. Finland will have a solid chance at winning both tournies.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
lol, i always **** his name up!! Unless I have gotten used to seeing the name of the player in the N.H.L then Finnish names can be pretty tough for me sometimes. I try my best:laugh:
On the TSN broadcast, whenever Tyrväinen is on the ice, it sounds like they are trying to pronounce Teräväinen. Ends up being Turr-e-vai-nen or something like that. :laugh:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
On the TSN broadcast, whenever Tyrväinen is on the ice, it sounds like they are trying to pronounce Teräväinen. Ends up being Turr-e-vai-nen or something like that. :laugh:
Ah, they butcher Finnish names all the time, i sympathize....................they can be really tough names for us.

What really used to be hilarious was back in the good old Pierre Mcguire days when he with his massive ego thought he was so darn proficient with Finnish names that he had the audacity to always be saying these names with a Finnish accent.

Now that used to be both cringe worthy, annoying and wonderful comedy for the viewer rolled into one, that's tough to do!!

Only Pierre could pull that off.

I Remember long ago at the wjc Finland had this player on defense named Janne Jokila or something like that and every time he got to talk about him he would try to roll the tongue on the L sound with such over the top exaggeration. It was just priceless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad