GDT: Gold Medal Game - May 26 - Canada vs Finland

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
I have a bad feeling about this. One Finnish player got emotional in a postgame interview, another wondered when he'll wake up back home. The final just might be beyond this group's ability to be professional about it, whereas for Canadians this is probably game number whatever of the season. Add to that the edge in talent, and I could see Canada swatting Finns aside to the tune of 2007 and 2016.

Snaibberi

Mar 20, 2008
Sweden and Russia had better teams than Canada, but Canada playstyle is more suited against finns. Canada has always been the hardest opponent to Finland so Canada wins 3-1. Another final lost to Finland. after today 10 lost WC finals, 2 olympics, 1 World cup. Maybe next time we win!

Reactions: Svedu and LiveeviL

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Sweden and Russia had better teams than Canada, but Canada playstyle is more suited against finns. Canada has always been the hardest opponent to Finland so Canada wins 3-1. Another final lost to Finland. after today 10 lost WC finals, 2 olympics, 1 World cup. Maybe next time we win!

Do Finland have massive troubles with Canada? I thought that had changed.

But you bring up a good point. This WCH so far and also International hockey as a whole is so much about matchups these days. That's what's interesting about it, in the NHL there's about 31 types of similar hockey but at the national team level you have things that completely differentiate the teams.

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
My all-star team heading into this game/bronze:
Kucherov-Nylander-Stone
Josi-Hronek
Lankinen

MVP: Winner of Lankinen and Stone

Wanted to find a spot for Kakko there but his offense has simply dried up as the tournament has progressed to the point where I can't justify team success over individual stats. Been very important either way. Mantha has also been excellent and could get there with a big gold medal game

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Going to be our toughest game yet, but I've said it before and i'll say it now: if someone can beat this thing, it's this team. Whatever happens, I'm so proud of the passion the team has played with and how they've proved everyone wrong.

anfieldo

Feb 16, 2014
Is this enough preparation time for Team Canada? Because after this game you can't take this preparation time card any moore or seven game series blaa blaa.

Fin-Can 2-0. we win Canada first game of tournament and last game of tournament.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Do Finland have massive troubles with Canada? I thought that had changed.

Finland never beat Canada in a final. I think it's about to change tonight. What a good way to motivate the players as if they even need any motivation against the mighty and cocky Canada.

If Canadian players feel even slightly the way some cocky Canadian posters here feel like it's going to be a long day for the Canadians. I think Russia and Sweden were scarier teams than this current Canada and Finland is going to be fully motivated for this game with their world class coaching.

This is a really special Finnish team and they will take the gold. There is nothing to loose. Silver would almost feel like a victory as well but it will be the gold.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I respect Team Canada much more than Sweden or Russia. Reading Mark Stones comments before the game made me respect them even more. Media tried to downplay the Finns and Mark Stone answered: " I dont know why you say that. They are a good team, they have beaten us, Sweden and Russia. If you try make them seem like a bad team - they are not. They play a teamgame and have good coaching. You ask the same questions over and over. Maybe you dont know this game as good as me?"

Respect Canada. Thats professionalism. And whatever the outcome is I feel were gonna have a good game.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Remember when people kept saying Canada was close to being dethroned as the sports ultimate superpower? lol right on eh....making the finals of a tournament we only take half seriously, with our E team at best.
Stone, Couturier and Murray are among those players who would only make the Canadian E team, apparently. Trying to come up with a letter later in the alphabet than someone before you to describe the quality of players on your team only makes you appear unintelligent.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Kucherov-Nylander-Stone
Josi-Hronek
Lankinen

Wanted to find a spot for Kakko there but his offense has simply dried up as the tournament has progressed to the point where I can't justify team success over individual stats. Been very important either way. Mantha has also been excellent and could get there with a big gold medal game

Can be MVP Anttila or Manninen as well. Murray and Stone would be the likely Canadian candidates. If Russia takes bronze it could be Gusev as well, if he for example would decide that bronze game.

Nylander is going to have a monster NHL season next season. Very often some younger players become beasts after they perform like this individually in WHC.

member 305909

Canada coming back from defeat with a second to go in the QFs may have fuelled their minds that they are destined to win the tournament.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Most Finnish post ever haha:laugh: Talking about how many losses we have before grand final.

Obviously Canada is a massive favourite, but if Finland wins this game i wouldn't say it's the biggest surprise of this tournament. Biggest surprise we've already seen when Finland beat Sweden and Russia.

It's going to be extremely tight game and i'll say Finland wins 2-1 on OT

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I have a bad feeling about this. One Finnish player got emotional in a postgame interview, another wondered when he'll wake up back home. The final just might be beyond this group's ability to be professional about it, whereas for Canadians this is probably game number whatever of the season. Add to that the edge in talent, and I could see Canada swatting Finns aside to the tune of 2007 and 2016.

It can happen but Coach Noblenen should be aware of the risk of emotional saturation and deflation after two huge upsets and inject the last and most potent dose of mental or real Pervatin borrowed from the National Archives and/or the Museum of Winter and Continuation War. That antidote should make the good ol young and brisk farmer boys of the vast praires of Canada’s backlands to run for their promised gold all game long chasing the puck with no avail like blind rabbits.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
This edition of Team Canada has the heart to compete with the Finns and historically we match up very well against them. Finns won't get many past Murray and it could be tight but in the end, I expect us to win.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
What anti(-la) hockey?!

Finland plays perfect A,B,C-hockey for Christ sake ... and that by the book of Jesus Jalonen.

And Kevin Lankinen; o' Rockford Icehogs fame - will rock Canada bad, bad, bad now that he's in the zone.

These no-name Finland players may be heroes for just one day.

Reactions: Loffer

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
Kucherov-Nylander-Stone
Josi-Hronek
Lankinen

Facing with tougher opponents Kakko show that he has more to learn.
Lankinen has let in too many softies, I will swap Lankinen with A.V

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Didn't know that. Wow! Thanks for that info. I wouldn't be that surprised if Quenya speakers per capita is high in Finland, but that Klingon speaker ratio came as surprise to me. Maybe that because I was StarWars fan, not that much Star Trek fan (and after that Disney StarWars BS, I curse them for ruining the franchise).
United Kingdom is still the only country with Jedi as an officially recognized religion. (Due to how their census works. A bunch of humorists made it happen back when.)

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Easy win for Canada, but at least we beat Sweden and Russia with a bunch of no-names.
And they had their best rosters like ever.
What are you talking about. We got this.

If we lose this one, I don't care if we beat Russia and Sweden. So what.

Then I'll change my mind tomorrow and feel happy about the team. :thumbu:

(But really, are half the people here hedging their claims with "well, at least we..." or "that said, anything can happen in one game..." or "meaningless tournament"...? Pshaw. Better just jump of the cliff head up high lol)

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018
Stone is right - a very good team Finland.

Beating Sweden & shutting down high powered Russia is impressive!

Still, young, talented Cdn team playing well now & looking for payback?

I think Cda wins close one unless we take too many penalties! :laugh:

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Screenshot_20190526-140737__01.jpg

You can't escape the Mörkö

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad