GDT: Gold Medal Game: Canada Vs Russia | 1:00PM EST 7PM CET

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
People are acting like this is a game tying GOAL being denied.

It was a messed up play and even if given, it'd be 50/50 whether they scored or not.

Let it go. This isn't a screwjob. You basically had 10 Minutes of the first 22 minutes on the PP and didn't score. Didn't even come close, really. Canada PK >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Russia PP

That's your problem. That's what people should be upset over. I'd be ripping my team and not even thinking about a missed call that almost 24 hours later people still don't know for certain which way it should have been called... and the refs had 2 minutes to sort it.

Let. It. Go.

2020-canada-juniors-win-gold-turl.jpg

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Who cares? Calls are blown every game and in this particular game the Hayton penalty (resulting in Russia's first goal) and the TSNCamera fiasco pretty much make it a wash. In fact you could say that Russia came out ahead because the blown call in their favour actually resulted in a goal. The Camera non-call only resulted in a missed opportunity which may not have actually resulted in a goal at all. It could just have easily occured that Canada wins the faceoff and fires the puck down for an empty net goal.

Fair victory for Canada.
Agreed.. but you agree it was a non call. That's the part I'm arguing. Look at my posts.. happy for Canada, they were better, totally deserve Gold. Not arguing any of that. Not a Russian wanting the results overturned. My team got smoked well before this.lol

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Tell us what you think happened, if not that the refs applied the rule (which exists and wasn't made up on the spot). You think they were deliberately biased, moments after making a penalty call that they could have easily ignored? They made the call THEY thought was right, and lo and behold there is a rule that describes the situation (that none of us knew about). Yet you think you know the rules better. So what happened, as you see it?
They clearly misinterpreted the rule.

Reactions: wacko2

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
After watching parts of the game the second time, the only bad piece of refereeing to me was the Voronkov crosscheck penalty. Clear as day embellishment (Delandrea?), WWF-style.
Did you miss the Hayton penalty that lead to a PP goal........... GARBAGE. But the camera Gods evened things up.........

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Rönn is a member of the IIHF Officiating Committee. Period. They don’t rearrange the whole organization for one tournament.

The mental gymnastics to try to get around this are astounding.

To be clear.. he's a real estate agent. Hasn't reffed IIHF since 2013. Here is a link..in English.

Jyri Rönn - Wikipedia

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Here are the reffing assignments for all the tournaments... in English.

IIHF - Assignments 2019/20

And? You do understand the difference between IIHF Officiating Committee and a tournament referee? Rönn has explained the procedures in detail in Finnish media and I've translated them in detail. You're really digging yourself into a deeper whole when trying to come up with new ways to discredit people who actually know how these things go. :laugh:

Reactions: DaJackal

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
And? You do understand the difference between IIHF Officiating Committee and a tournament referee? Rönn has explained the procedures in detail in Finnish media and I've translated them in detail. You're really digging yourself into a deeper whole when trying to come up with new ways to discredit people who actually know how these things go. :laugh:

lets just stop relying to this guy, he's wasting his time, him wanting a link, or justification ( which has already been given) won't change anything. Canada won, Russia lost, the refs were bad. The refs are always bad in this tournament, anyone who watches the tournament every year knows this. It all comes out to be a wash.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
To be clear.. he's a real estate agent. Hasn't reffed IIHF since 2013. Here is a link..in English.

Jyri Rönn - Wikipedia

That's quite the mental gymnastics you're going for. He's the Liiga head of officiating. He was a pro ref in KHL for 4 seasons before retiring to take over the previously mentioned job.

And here's the Finnish wikipedia on him: Jyri Rönn – Wikipedia

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
you are doing a lot of whining and crying over this. game is over, tournament is over.

bad calls happen.

live your life man.
Not whining
Not crying

So you also admit it was a bad call? That's the ONLY thing I'm arguing. Happy for Canada. Said it repeatedly.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
That's quite the mental gymnastics you're going for. He's the Liiga head of officiating. He was a pro ref in KHL for 4 seasons before retiring to tak over the previously mentioned job.

And here's the Finnish wikipedia on him: Jyri Rönn – Wikipedia
This link also says he's a real estate agent.

I agree he's the LIiga head of officiating.
I agree he reffed in the KHL.
I agree he refferd at the World's 5 years ago
I don't agree that he is an IIHF official who confirmed this call was right. He's not in that position today. Kerry Fraser, Ron McLean, the head of KHL refs.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
People who are reading the rules and believing that gives them enough insight to comment definitively about whether the puck hitting the camera was an automatic penalty have clearly never refereed the sport. Hockey referees at just about every level are instructed about interpretations based on situations. If there wasn't a specific directive given to officials prior to the tournament about those cameras - which I seriously doubt - that would have been a grave mistake made by the IIHF. Unless you were in that room when that situation was outlined, you can't say that it was a "blown call" or "the correct call" with any certainty.

No question that when I saw it go out of play, I thought that should have been called a penalty. But if there were provisions laid out for instances when the puck hit the camera, then the four guys on the ice did the right thing by having a conference to talk about what happened.

Maybe Canada caught a break. Maybe the refs screwed up. It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad