GDT: Gold Medal Game • Jan. 5 • 8:00 PM ET • 02:00 CET - (Mod Warning IN OP))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Sweden fans clogging up the thread.

LMFAO I just noticed that! they act like they're not upset or don't care but deep down they do. You can't really go 3-4 posts without a Swede responding.

It's too bad they didn't make it..would've loved to see us dominate them like we did in the Olympic Final ;)

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
It's the match-up I fear and love the most. As much as Sweden would be a great opponent for the final, I want the rematch for 2011. I want vengeance!

5-2 Canada.

Nah it woulda been a total mismatch imo...I think we saw, sans doubt, in the semis, that Team Swede were only pretenders. Too young + not nearly enough offensive firepower. Those Swedes who were warning us that their team wasn't that good this year, and their coach ( who was wondering pre-tourney where the goals would come from?) were proven right. If Swede Jr's played the 5th place Yanks, in a seven game series, I'd bet Big Money on USA, ( bearing in mind they crushed Swedes 10-5 in exhibition ) and think of it as money in the bank. But wait till next year.

Next year will be Both 3kr and USA's ( even sans Eichel ) time to shine!.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Srry but do you really count Denmark,Switzerland,Germany etc as a threat to the gold:laugh:?

There is only 3 teams from Europe that can compete for the gold and you know it aswell:laugh:

I will give you those teams but I wouldn't discount the Czechs or Slovaks. Are the Slovaks and Czechs a threat to medal every year? No, but to say they are never a threat is just as false.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
LMFAO I just noticed that! they act like they're not upset or don't care but deep down they do. You can't really go 3-4 posts without a Swede responding.

It's too bad they didn't make it..would've loved to see us dominate them like we did in the Olympic Final ;)

Yepp with an all Canadian ref team:D
1555460_766655833421629_1966331255481757635_n.jpg

I will give you those teams but I wouldn't discount the Czechs or Slovaks. Are the Slovaks and Czechs a threat to medal every year? No, but to say they are never a threat is just as false.

ok ill give you Czechs but was longtime Slovaks did look good at hockey tbh

Last edited:

Villert

Dec 29, 2009

:shakehead - if there was even one bad, missed or controversial call in that game you might have the smallest thing to complain about. Combine the fact it was extremely well officiated that with how incredibly one-sided for 50 minutes the game was and the ref thing gets really old, really fast. Get over it.

edit: I know you're kind of joking, but you've pulled this out in every thread throughout this tournament.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014

ok ill give you Czechs but was longtime Slovaks did look good at hockey tbh

SVK beat Sweden in 1999 bronze game, that's their only WJC medal to date. I always hated the fact that some teams ( for eg. Yanks in Sochi ) gotta play the late semi final game, then turn around and play in the afternoon, for bronze, the very next day. That's really not enough turn around time imo. And SVK is in the same boat today. Still they're a scappy bunch, and maybe, just maybe, they can put a scare into Tre Kronors.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
In a best-of-seven Canada would slaughter this Russian team in 5.

Yet in a one-game final you never know.

Canada should win this 4-1 or 5-2, and a lot will have to go wrong for them to lose, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they find a way to choke.

Incidentally, Canada has never lost on Toronto ice in a meaningful game: 13-0-1

Summit series win in 72, 3-0 at 1976 Canada Cup, 1-0 at 1986 Juniors, 2-0-1 at 1991 Canada Cup, 4-0-0 at 2004 World Cup, and 2-0 so far at this WJC.

Only two losses were in exhibition games (4-6 USA before 1991 Canada Cup, and 1-2 to Russia before this tournament).

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
SVK beat Sweden in 1999 bronze game, that's their only WJC medal to date. I always hated the fact that some teams ( for eg. Yanks in Sochi ) gotta play the late semi final game, then turn around and play in the afternoon, for bronze, the very next day. That's really not enough turn around time imo. And SVK is in the same boat today. Still they're a scappy bunch, and maybe, just maybe, they can put a scare into Tre Kronors.

Ill cheer for team SVK today :)! this swedish team dosent deserve to win tbh...:)

:shakehead - if there was even one bad, missed or controversial call in that game you might have the smallest thing to complain about. Combine the fact it was extremely well officiated that with how incredibly one-sided for 50 minutes the game was and the ref thing gets really old, really fast. Get over it.

edit: I know you're kind of joking, but you've pulled this out in every thread throughout this tournament.

Eh bringing this up every thread this tournament? first time i ever talk about that game lol... this tournament... it was you guys who brought it up.

And if it would have been a whole Swe ref team with just one finnish or russian ref that game you canadians would have screamd your lung of... just saying

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Russia has been getting better over the course of the tournament, as has Canada for the most part.

I think Russia will relish their role as underdogs and if they score first, Canada could press a little too hard and make mistakes and/or take penalties as a result.

If Russia plays patient, they have a decent chance at winning with good goaltending.

However, if Canada puts up a goal or two early, and keeps pressing, it could be lopsided.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
One of the refs was American.

But I guess we're pretty much the same - like Finns and Swedes.

To be fair, in the context of referee assignment, I don't know why a Russian would care enough to distinguish between Canada and the USA.

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
Because Canada is Hosting. You think they are going to put the gold medal game at 1 in the afternoon when everybody is at work? Save it for primetime in the prime market and where the event is being hosted.

why at 8pm - that's at 2am here in Germany, 3am in Russia. Oh well. Not sure if I'll be up for it today, will have to see.

Why isn't it on a Sunday, in the afternoon when most people in Canada are still on their last day of the holiday or are not working. And it's better for Europe, obviously. Whomever, decided the scheduling is a fool.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Dude, Russia beat the US - they had trouble in the 3rd because they were using a bad defensive strategy. They fixed this vs. the Swedes, who had a hard time coming into the zone. I think they have that problem fixed now. Canada vs. Russia should be a great game - they're going to burn that ice.

Fixed Eh? Hmmm...Interesting point. They certainly were standing guys up at the blue. And yes, Swedes had a helluva time entering the zone. Still a bit like comparing apples n oranges since, to me, mano a mano, this years Yanks seemed more talented, more offensively gifted that 3kr's, despite their 5th place finish.

Now presumably ur saying that Rus D were backing in too deep, too quickly/ giving up the blue too easily. Care to elaborate further? What else did u see that RUS were doing differently in the game vs Yanks, compared to that total dismantling of team Swede?

Last edited:

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Why isn't it on a Sunday, in the afternoon when most people in Canada are still on their last day of the holiday or are not working. And it's better for Europe, obviously. Whomever, decided the scheduling is a fool.

Agreed.

Every other gold medal game - Olympics, WHC - is on a Sunday. For some reason the WJC organizers thought differently.

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
Russia finished 3rd. They were out shot by the Americans, and out scored the Swedes who were 5-0-0. Look whose in the final.

Canada better play their best game.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Agreed.

Every other gold medal game - Olympics, WHC - is on a Sunday. For some reason the WJC organizers thought differently.

It's because the start day for the tournament is always boxing day. Given the games they need to get in, there isn't a lot of flexibility.

The Olympics it's different because they always start with the opening ceremonies on a Friday and end with the closing ceremonies on a Sunday.

Last year, the tournament started a day earlier in the 7 day week, so ended on a Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00