going forward: J.Hughes vs Stutzle vs Raymond (originally posted Feb 7, 22)

going forward

• J.Hughes

• Stutzle

• Raymond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It should be closer than the results so far. Raymond is the youngest and is outperforming each of Hughes & Stützle's first 2 seasons.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah but Hughes is pretty much a point-per-game Centre already at 20. Much more difficult position to play than Winger.

Hughes should win this, all day long.
Hughes needs to keep that up. Either way it's his 3rd season and 1 year older than the others.
Don't think he's really shining in the difficult center duties either (defense+faceoffs), he's not killing penalties or anything..

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah but Hughes is pretty much a point-per-game Centre already at 20. Much more difficult position to play than Winger.

Hughes should win this, all day long.
Stutzle is tracking in production at a very similar rate at the same age. Plays a more physical game. Since moved to center he is scoring .8 ppg. Also shoots more.

Reactions: Kofi Annan

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I wonder how much weighs Hughes current production in the past 2 months or so, for his votes
Lets wait the entire next season before reignite the hype.

I'll admit, Jack Hughes has produced well, played well, but still, he is behind both Raymond
and Stutzle and their trajectory, in my opinion at least.

For example.

Its Raymond's first ever NA season and he is already playing better what Hughes
and producing more points, while being over a year younger.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I literally stated two facts..

Raymond is the youngest and is outperforming each of Hughes & Stützle's first 2 seasons.

Raymond is out-performing Hughes' 1st season but isn't even remotely close to Hughes' sophomore season last year. So that's definitely not a fact. Hughes has shown by far the highest peak on the ice of any of the three thus far. That's not to say he's guaranteed to continue that way over the other two or that they won't also experience similar growth. But Hughes has shown the highest level thus far and it's not very close.

PFUi5dm.png

3QaMyL2.png

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Raymond is the youngest and is outperforming each of Hughes & Stützle's first 2 seasons.

Raymond is out-performing Hughes' 1st season but isn't even remotely close to Hughes' sophomore season last year. So that's definitely not a fact.
Sorry, I should have said "outperforming in things that actually matter".

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
They're all within 12 months of the same age, and all still developing so these "Hughes is one year older" comments is useless when they all have the same amount of room to improve.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
They're all within 12 months of the same age, and all still developing so these "Hughes is one year older" comments is useless when they all have the same amount of room to improve.
1 year age difference is big at 18-20. 1 year experience can matter a ton also. This isn't controversial at all.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I'll take Hughes, but I can completely understand why people are taking either of the other two.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Raymond is out-performing Hughes' 1st season but isn't even remotely close to Hughes' sophomore season last year. So that's definitely not a fact. Hughes has shown by far the highest peak on the ice of any of the three thus far. That's not to say he's guaranteed to continue that way over the other two or that they won't also experience similar growth. But Hughes has shown the highest level thus far and it's not very close.

PFUi5dm.png

3QaMyL2.png
Isn’t remotely close? He already has more points in like 10 less games? While also being a rookie.

I can’t tell who has the better hair though

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Isn’t remotely close? He already has more points in like 10 less games? While also being a rookie.

I can’t tell who has the better hair though

Ok - sure, let's put aside the advanced stats which clearly show that in his 19 year-old season, Hughes was a more efficient, more effective and better 3-zone play driver than Raymond this season.

Raymond: 47 GP, 11 G, 24 A, 35 Pts
Hughes: 56 GP, 10 G, 20 A, 30 Pts

Ok, Raymond has more goals and assists.

His most common linemates? And the most prevalent line that Detroit has iced this season? Bertuzzi-Larkin-Hughes.

Hughes' most common linemates last year? Two other rookies - Kuokkonen and Sharangovich. Both of whom were beyond useless when Hughes has been out this season.

I'd say a little context is involved with their "counting stats" - if that's the route you are choosing to base your entire measurement of this players off of. That's not a slight on Raymond who is likely a Calder finalist this year. Hughes' season last year is just undervalued. As I said - it doesn't mean Hughes is always going to stay ahead of Raymond and sure, if you want to say well Raymond is a rookie at 19 while Hughes already had a season under his belt, therefore "I think he's got more untapped upside at the same age" then that's fine too.

But if Detroit fans are going to shout about Raymond's point totals and how that proves he's ahead of everybody else without context, without recognition of other statistical measures of a player's impact on the ice then I'm going to say perhaps a more thorough analysis is warranted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad