Going Camping Roster is up ...

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
As hockey becomes more mainstream and affordable you will continue to see spikes in high end talent. The US produces a lot of athletes that now have access to the sport.

Absolutely. With the sport being mainstream in half of the country (Sun Belt states) at the youth level that it wasn't 15, 20 years ago, it's only going to continue on this path. It's not that the "traditional" areas aren't/weren't producing great talent, you just have that many more athletes coming through now. The best athletes in these areas were choosing football or baseball before. Now they're starting to choose hockey. The USA Hockey ADM will continue to pay dividends, as well.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
As hockey becomes more mainstream and affordable you will continue to see spikes in high end talent. The US produces a lot of athletes that now have access to the sport.

To think the #1 draft pick came from Scottsdale, Arizona is kinda nuts! Scottsdale.

Drove past that rink during a vacation in March - it was like 98 degrees outside and kids playing hockey. Love the growth of the sport!

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
He is more quiet than shell shocked but I could see why you thought that. He is a big boy for sure.

First time I watched Matthews I thought Geno Malkin given his size and the way he shields the puck. But I haven't watched AM much outside WJC. Comp could be way off.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So White beats Red 6-4... who scored the 6th goal for White Team ...was it an empty netter?

I

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
There was an article about this somewhere in the past week. Hartman is renting a place in/around downtown and Radke's been staying with him and they've been training together.

For all intents and purposes you can add Schmaltz to that list. Wisconsin native but life-long Hawks fan. Lot of Hawks fans in Wisconsin given the lack of NHL team there. Can also add Hinostroza. Lot of hometown guys with their hometown organization. Pretty cool.

Yeah, Hino is from Bartlett.

Their agent is the director of our hockey league.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So to sum up...Red beats White 6-4...

Red goals: Kero,Motte,Radke,Ramsey ,Hayden and Olofsson.

White goals: Hinostrozza,Bondra,From,and Iacopelli..

Meaning?

1.Q does not trust any of them!

2. De Brincat went through 3 scrimmages and this full game and still coukd not get even 2 goal? Oh my!

3.Our 2 highest draftees of the last 2 drafts failed to get a goal in this key show me hame (Knott and DeBrincat)...Oh my...fire the scouts!

4. Mathias From the only "rookie"(from this summer's draft) to score in this game with teams laden with prospect "vets" .From also had at least 1 assist I believe..So good on ya "kid".

5. 7 of the 10 goals scored by NCAA guys..only 3 by guys from Jr. Leagues.So mostly the older guys scored goals..Figures..

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Oh and since Schmaltz did not get a goal to day as well
.it means all 3 of our highest drafted players from the 2014 draft...2015 draft and 2916 draft...all Failed to get one past a goalie in this "showcase" finale he at camp! Scouts have some embarrassment and and LOL at this. Only 1 game...yes but still you would think eben 1 of the last 3 drafts highest picks for us could manage a single goal against even this level of competing. .But I guess that is asking too much from the vaunted scouting staff...so we have to rely on their stud picks from the lesser rounds of these drafts to shine.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
If scouts are that idiotic and mentally weak to focus merely on, welp goal or no goal in my view of this evaluation of a camp because that's the message forum men mentality, then those scouts would hopefully be fired.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
First time I watched Matthews I thought Geno Malkin given his size and the way he shields the puck. But I haven't watched AM much outside WJC. Comp could be way off.

He is a clone of Kopitar/Toews (more so Kopitar). Anyone who expects McDavid/Crosby offense will be disappointed.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Apparently they gave Hinostrozza credit for tge Team Red 5th goal ...not Hayden though he was on that line and probably hot the assist. ...tge Hawks website summary credits Hinostrozza with 2 goals (tweets from Mark Lazeris and others had first credited Hayden with that goal)...

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Surprising that nobody who went to this game today has posted their impresions of the various in past camps for thus final game the posters were quick to give their views on what they witnessed.

I can only go from tweets and write-ups on the game by the media ...

One interesting note: that line of Hayden Hinostrozza and Hartman ...aside from the 2 goals it produced you will notice that the "Triple H Line "could be a future goldmine for the hype masters of the Hawks Marketing Dept...!

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
In erecting that the Kero goal was a n easy tap in set-up off a feed from Alex Fortin who stole the puck...Again ...to result in a goal for ....I believe this is the 3rd time through this camp that Fortin has stolen the puck away and either scored a goal himself off the transition or like today set up an easy tap in..So it looks like he may have closing speed to strip pucks away and transition ...this is an ability that Q should be gaga over...very impressive to produce goals in this fashion.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

The registration numbers have increased 10% over the last 5 years, don't know for certain what the youth/adult breakout is.

Same time period, officials have dropped of close to 20%! That is/will be a problem.

Increased pay for officials along with ever increasing ice costs don't bode well for making hockey more affordable.

What needs to be done in significant way is reduce the number of games, share ice until at least age 12/13, ramp up practices and eliminate much of the travel and tournament nonsense if you want to develop players.

I've had some success explaining the economics to parents but it is tough. An away tournament for anything lower than AAA is an economic disaster. Tournament fee: 1,200. 2 night hotel stay $225 times 12-15 families, gas $50-60 times 12-15 families, 75-100 for meals times 12-15 families. Half day off work on Friday for many (paid or unpaid)

The math SUCKS roughly $6,000 for a 3-4 game guarantee. 50-60 minutes of ice time per player for $6,000!!!!!!!!!! Versus 1/2 sheet of ice for $200 per hour where you get 30 HOURS of ice time.

No brainer, except to the folks making money @ USAHockey.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Surprising that nobody who went to this game today has posted their impresions of the various in past camps for thus final game the posters were quick to give their views on what they witnessed.

I can only go from tweets and write-ups on the game by the media ...

One interesting note: that line of Hayden Hinostrozza and Hartman ...aside from the 2 goals it produced you will notice that the "Triple H Line "could be a future goldmine for the hype masters of the Hawks Marketing Dept...!

I was at the last scrimmage:

My 2 cents-
Guys who looked ready for a chance On Hawks-
Schmaltz- Patience, passing like Kane... never seen a guy put so many passes on the tape- threaded thru D guys ankles/sticks... in lanes that did not exist... Has a 5th gear- when there is a possible 2 on 1... had several grade A chances- and created several for others... put him with guys who can skate/slash/cut... and he will be a monster... only knock- he holds puck so long- is he gonna get his head torn off (Kane holds puck too... but has that uncanny ability to dodge 99% of the big hits)-- does this kid???

Hayden- responsible for both Hino goals, Man among boys under the goal line

Hino- skated at another speed

Hartman- looked faster/aggressive (O wise) than I ever have seen-- But could have been by-product of playing w/ Hayden/Hino (who were dominant)

Wild-Cards:

Motte and Fortin-- Both hustle, both + skaters, Both always in "right" places,
Both these guys WILL be "Q guys"- imo- Q will trust them like he trusts 65/16.

Best Upside : (Other than those mentioned)

Mathias From- fast, strong, puck always found him, scored Goal, Created Bondra's goal... if this kid can think/play Q style??? this kid has a Huge Upside!!!

Roy Radke- 2nd only to Hayden in strength/Cycle game, IF he has decent skating ability ( I need to see/compare to actual NHL/Hawks to measure that better)- he looked like he could be a perfect fit for 1LW- Cycle line ... I know that sounds crazy but this kid has great Puck protection, good IQ, + shot,

If I could pair From's speed with Radke's strength-- You would have a Mini-Saad!!!

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

My 2 cents-
Schmaltz- Patience, passing like Kane... never seen a guy put so many passes on the tape- threaded thru D guys ankles/sticks... in lanes that did not exist... Has a 5th gear- when there is a possible 2 on 1... had several grade A chances- and created several for others... put him with guys who can skate/slash/cut... and he will be a monster... only knock- he holds puck so long- is he gonna get his head torn off (Kane holds puck too... but has that uncanny ability to dodge 99% of the big hits)-- does this kid???

Hartman- looked faster/aggressive (O wise) than I ever have seen-- But could have been by-product of playing w/ Hayden/Hino (who were dominant)

Wild-Cards:

Mathias From- fast, strong, puck always found him, scored Goal, Created Bondra's goal... if this kid can think/play Q style??? this kid has a Huge Upside!!!

Roy Radke- 2nd only to Hayden in strength/Cycle game, IF he has decent skating ability ( I need to see/compare to actual NHL/Hawks to measure that better)- he looked like he could be a perfect fit for 1LW- Cycle line ... I know that sounds crazy but this kid has great Puck protection, good IQ, + shot,

If I could pair From's speed with Radke's strength-- You would have a Mini-Saad!!!

Great post, thanks.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI

My 2 cents-

Wild-Cards:

Thanks wladyslaw, there was another poster that mentioned Radke a week or so ago. Very good news, we may have something.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But why does Radke have so little impact in the O ?I was never impressed by anything that suggested nhl impact player when I viewed some of his games last season (the OHL is covered by Rogers Sportspak that I pay extra for on my cable package).

If he stood out at camp it must mean tge rest of our guys really are not that good but only shine against each other OR it means somehow tge light went on for Radke between the end of his OHL season and this camp? Maybe he had some lingering injury during his season in Jr. ?But clearly he did not look very starry (as the production was kind of average) ...I mean this was not like Schmaltz at North Dakota tjis year where he did star albeit Not with a lot of goals scored...mostly impressive assists totals and improved defense. .But the not do impressive goals totals were in part excused by bad luck in not finishing chances.. (he hit something like 11 or 12 posts) but in the Radke case there was no such amount of scoring chance generation to even trot out the bad luck excuse for meh goal production. ..and this was only in Jr. for an guy after his draft year.So how can we explain his sudden "emergence" at camp according to some reports?It baffles.

AS to Fortin..well they first gotta sign him..But at least there is an explanation for why he shined at camp...He said he was hampered all season by some hip problem that finally got resolved back to normal and he could again skate at top speed which as he showed at cam was top level..You cannot teach speed and he also showed high hockey IQ ...They simply have to sign this guy ..could be a steal as an undrafted 19 year old..
But tge Radke story is mystifying as I said..he showed nothing this season in Jr to justify he could impress (some) that much at camp. Strength is fine..McNeill also is strong...But you gotta skate at elite level and you gotta finish at some high level if there is any possibility of a top six nhl career. Panik is also "strong " as a power forward type
.but he has to prove he can finish enough to stay any length of time on a top line...so I am as skeptical about Radke becoming a top line PF as about Panik or McNeill grabbing the horns to cement that role...Panik can't finish...McNeill can't skate well enough and Radke can't do either of those 2 things well enough (so far) based on what I saw from his junior season thus year.If he showed more at camp then I am mystified by the sudden improvement.All 3 of these PF candidates have big flaws ....also 8 cannot see Radke taking a job away yet...Surely needs another year back in junior and to show he has improved enough to dominate even at just the Jr. Level.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
The registration numbers have increased 10% over the last 5 years, don't know for certain what the youth/adult breakout is.

Same time period, officials have dropped of close to 20%! That is/will be a problem.

Increased pay for officials along with ever increasing ice costs don't bode well for making hockey more affordable.

What needs to be done in significant way is reduce the number of games, share ice until at least age 12/13, ramp up practices and eliminate much of the travel and tournament nonsense if you want to develop players.

I've had some success explaining the economics to parents but it is tough. An away tournament for anything lower than AAA is an economic disaster. Tournament fee: 1,200. 2 night hotel stay $225 times 12-15 families, gas $50-60 times 12-15 families, 75-100 for meals times 12-15 families. Half day off work on Friday for many (paid or unpaid)

The math SUCKS roughly $6,000 for a 3-4 game guarantee. 50-60 minutes of ice time per player for $6,000!!!!!!!!!! Versus 1/2 sheet of ice for $200 per hour where you get 30 HOURS of ice time.

No brainer, except to the folks making money @ USAHockey.

Bingo. I think Tournaments are just dumb. If you live in a state with minimal rinks/teams, I understand it. But for us, in the Chicago burbs, there are TONS of rinks and TONS of teams at all levels. I can understand local travel (i.e. playing in Madison, etc). But we've done trips to Nashville. Why?

Lots of travel for, say 4 games. 10 min TOI x 4 games = 40 min of actual hockey.

Travel tourneys = kids play shinny. They screw around at the pool. Some kids take crap too far. Parents drink. Parents don't watch their kids. Parents drink some more. Parents then drive 7 hours home hungover.

Oh and as for tourney costs, don't forget the obligatory $65 screen printed 'President's Day Tourney' hoodies that the kids all get.

I think it's all silly. I'm happy 'traveling' to such exotic places as Naperville, Glen Ellyn, Bensenville, Johnny's Ice House, Hoffman, et al.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
But why does Radke have so little impact in the O ?I was never impressed by anything that suggested nhl impact player when I viewed some of his games last season (the OHL is covered by Rogers Sportspak that I pay extra for on my cable package).

If he stood out at camp it must mean tge rest of our guys really are not that good but only shine against each other OR it means somehow tge light went on for Radke between the end of his OHL season and this camp? Maybe he had some lingering injury during his season in Jr. ?But clearly he did not look very starry (as the production was kind of average) ...I mean this was not like Schmaltz at North Dakota tjis year where he did star albeit Not with a lot of goals scored...mostly impressive assists totals and improved defense. .But the not do impressive goals totals were in part excused by bad luck in not finishing chances.. (he hit something like 11 or 12 posts) but in the Radke case there was no such amount of scoring chance generation to even trot out the bad luck excuse for meh goal production. ..and this was only in Jr. for an guy after his draft year.So how can we explain his sudden "emergence" at camp according to some reports?It baffles.

AS to Fortin..well they first gotta sign him..But at least there is an explanation for why he shined at camp...He said he was hampered all season by some hip problem that finally got resolved back to normal and he could again skate at top speed which as he showed at cam was top level..You cannot teach speed and he also showed high hockey IQ ...They simply have to sign this guy ..could be a steal as an undrafted 19 year old..
But tge Radke story is mystifying as I said..he showed nothing this season in Jr to justify he could impress (some) that much at camp. Strength is fine..McNeill also is strong...But you gotta skate at elite level and you gotta finish at some high level if there is any possibility of a top six nhl career. Panik is also "strong " as a power forward type
.but he has to prove he can finish enough to stay any length of time on a top line...so I am as skeptical about Radke becoming a top line PF as about Panik or McNeill grabbing the horns to cement that role...Panik can't finish...McNeill can't skate well enough and Radke can't do either of those 2 things well enough (so far) based on what I saw from his junior season thus year.If he showed more at camp then I am mystified by the sudden improvement.All 3 of these PF candidates have big flaws ....also 8 cannot see Radke taking a job away yet...Surely needs another year back in junior and to show he has improved enough to dominate even at just the Jr. Level.

Good post fiddy.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Bingo. I think Tournaments are just dumb. If you live in a state with minimal rinks/teams, I understand it. But for us, in the Chicago burbs, there are TONS of rinks and TONS of teams at all levels. I can understand local travel (i.e. playing in Madison, etc). But we've done trips to Nashville. Why?

Lots of travel for, say 4 games. 10 min TOI x 4 games = 40 min of actual hockey.

Travel tourneys = kids play shinny. They screw around at the pool. Some kids take crap too far. Parents drink. Parents don't watch their kids. Parents drink some more. Parents then drive 7 hours home hungover.

Oh and as for tourney costs, don't forget the obligatory $65 screen printed 'President's Day Tourney' hoodies that the kids all get.

I think it's all silly. I'm happy 'traveling' to such exotic places as Naperville, Glen Ellyn, Bensenville, Johnny's Ice House, Hoffman, et al.

The best is to go to Buffalo or Rochester NY and have 2 Chicago area teams face each other in the final 550 miles from home!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad