Goaltender Trivia 2007-08 Thread

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
A short preamble today because I'm exceptionally behind after spending the day at the office. Sigh.

Congratulations to Craig Anderson, the Florida Panthers' backup goaltender who stopped ninety-three shots in back-to-back 1-0 shutouts! More on Craig in this week's trivia.

----------------------------------------------------------------
CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.19:
TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the National Hockey League goaltender who recently moved into fourth place on the league's all-time regular season win list.
CORRECT ANSWER: Calgary Flame Curtis Joseph recorded his 448th regular season league victory on March 1, 2008. The sixteen save, 3-1 victory over the Phoenix Coyotes put Joseph ahead of Terry Sawchuk on the wins leader board.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Earlier this season, this goaltender set a record (since tied) in becoming the lowest draft pick ever to later play in the National Hockey League. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Brian Elliott, selected 291st overall by the Ottawa Senators in the 2003 entry draft, started this season on the Ottawa roster while Ray Emery recovered from offseason wrist surgery. Elliott made his league debut on October 10, stopping 28 Atlanta shots in a 3-1 win. Detroit defenseman Jonathan Ericsson has since tied Elliott's mark.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In the last National Hockey League instance of a goaltender crossing the centre red line (legally) in an attempt to score, this netminder was rocked by a Jean-Claude Tremblay bodycheck. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Gary "Suitcase" Smith may have only played five games for the Toronto Maple Leafs, but this one will be remembered for awhile. Smith claims that he made his mad dash into history because he figured that he'd be sent back to the minor leagues anyhow. The "Gary Smith rule" is section (i) of Rule 31.

PICTORAL QUESTION: Name the following goaltender:
year12week19.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Chris Terreri played sixty-eight games for the San Jose Sharks in the mid-1990s before being sent to Chicago in the Ed Belfour trade. The five-foot-nine netminder, used to sharing duties in New Jersey, was thrust into the spotlight on a weak Sharks team, going 19-39-4 in the teal and black.

Mark Calandra and Tom Mascioli use perfect weeks to spring to the front of the pack this week, holding a slim two-point lead over the field.

Code:
[font=courier new]
FEBRUARY/MARCH 2008 LEADER BOARD:
1.  Mark Calandra           42
    Tom Mascioli            42
3.  Kevin Belobaba          40
    Kevin Cameron           40
    Pete Hibbard            40
    Roger Maynard           40
    Bryan McCready          40
8.  Jeffery Diamond         37
9.  Ken Ellis               25
10. Mike Moore              17[/font]

Thanks to Craig Anderson for inadvertently providing me with the three pointer this week!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK TWENTY (Answers due 10pm MST 03/15/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the longtime National Hockey League goaltender who recently accepted the offer from one of his former teams to become the club's director of prospect development.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Craig Anderson recently broke the National Hockey League record for shots faced in a regular season shutout (since the league began officially tracking shots on goal). Name the goaltenders who shared the record at the time Anderson broke it.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Many of you are aware that Calgary's Jeff Reese holds the National Hockey League record for goaltender assists in a single game with three. The analogous World Hockey Association record is also three - who holds it?

year12week20.jpg

Good luck!
Doug
http://hockeygoalies.org

ObnoxiousPensFan*

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Prior to Jonathan Bernier, name the last National Hockey League goaltender to start a season-opening game while still a teenager

MAF of my pens would be one

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
And we're back!

Back in October, I debated with myself about my ability to maintain the trivia competition while continuing to succeed at a time-consuming job. As much as it would be great to be the case, I don't get paid to research goaltenders (although I'm willing to talk if someone wants to give me a shot!) and my actuarial work comes first, second and third.

So I decided to try and squeeze everything in, which usually works out okay - until I start travelling around the country and the world, when I get hopelessly behind on most non-work-related issues. But I pledge to keep it going as best I can.

Here's a non-trivia-related goaltender question - has a National Hockey League team ever traded two of their goaltenders on the same day? I can think of several instances where a goaltender was traded on the same day as a draft choice that later turned into a goaltender, but I haven't had time to research this issue. Any ideas?

Anyhow, let's get to the questions since you've been waiting awhile...

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.20:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the longtime National Hockey League goaltender who recently accepted the offer from one of his former teams to become the club's director of prospect development.
CORRECT ANSWER: On March 4 of this year, Sean Burke was hired by the Phoenix Coyotes. Burke played nearly five full seasons with the Coyotes, one of eight National Hockey League franchises played for by the Ontario native.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Craig Anderson recently broke the National Hockey League record for shots faced in a regular season shutout (since the league began officially tracking shots on goal). Name the goaltenders who shared the record at the time Anderson broke it.
CORRECT ANSWER: Jacques Plante (11/13/55) and Curtis Joseph (12/10/96) each had fifty-two saves in a regular season shutout. Joseph had an advantage in that he had a full five-minute overtime, an advantage that Joseph would surely have traded for a victory (his Oilers were blanked by Detroit in a 0-0 tie).

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Many of you are aware that Calgary's Jeff Reese holds the National Hockey League record for goaltender assists in a single game with three. The analogous World Hockey Association record is also three - who holds it?
CORRECT ANSWER: On January 20, 1997, Gary Kurt recorded three assists for the Phoenix Roadrunners in a 9-4 win over Cincinnati. The three assists were Kurt's only points of the season.

year12week20.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Jocelyn Thibault was the Quebec/Colorado goaltender of the future until he was included in the Patrick Roy trade of 1995. Thibault is currently in his fourteenth National Hockey League campaign, with Buffalo.

Roger Maynard moves to the top of the list with one week left in the month. Can he hold on?
Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Roger Maynard           55
2.  Mark Calandra           49
    Tom Mascioli            49
4.  Kevin Belobaba          47
    Kevin Cameron           47
    Pete Hibbard            47
    Bryan McCready          47
8.  Jeffery Diamond         42
9.  Ken Ellis               25
10. Mike Moore              22[/font]

One of the benefits of taking a few unscheduled weeks off is that I've had a chance to replenish the stock of questions - this week's five-pointer is one of those neat ones. Have fun!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK TWENTY-ONE (Answers due 10pm MST 04/05/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender recently won forty National Hockey League games for the seventh regular season, extending his league record. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Yesterday afternoon, English-born Daniel Taylor became the sixth netminder to play for the Los Angeles Kings. Prior to Taylor, name the last goaltender born in the United Kingdom to appear in a National Hockey League game.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This National Hockey League goaltender missed his scheduled league debut because his equipment was misplaced in a Toronto hotel; he ended up playing the following night in his teammate's ill-fitting pads and oversized skates. Name him.

year12week21.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Congratulations to Roger Maynard, who runs away with an eleven-point win in February/March's competition!

The 2007-08 National Hockey League regular season is now over - and what a great season it was! As busy as I was this year, I didn't get to watch nearly as much as I wanted to, but the playoffs are starting and I can't wait. Last year was an interesting one - although I consider myself a "goalie fan" more than a fan of any one team, my team didn't qualify last year and I got to watch from a more-neutral perspective. This year, though, I get to be a nutjob once again. Huzzah!

My plan is for April's trivia month to run for four weeks, and I'm starting to look at ways to make the 2008-09 campaign a bit more doable on my end. Presently, I'm thinking of a 100-point quiz at the start of each month - that should result in (about) the same number of questions for you, but less bookkeeping for me. Thoughts?

Anyhow, let's get to the answers for last week - the Jack Norris story is one of my favourites.

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.21:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender recently won forty National Hockey League games for the seventh regular season, extending his league record. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Martin Brodeur of the New Jersey Devils, who now stands with with 537 regular-season wins over his long career.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Yesterday afternoon, English-born Daniel Taylor became the sixth netminder to play for the Los Angeles Kings. Prior to Taylor, name the last goaltender born in the United Kingdom to appear in a National Hockey League game.
CORRECT ANSWER: "Lord" Byron Dafoe, born in Sussex, spent parts of twelve seasons with the Capitals, Kings, Bruins and Thrashers. He last played - briefly - for Omsk (Russia) in 2005-06.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This National Hockey League goaltender missed his scheduled league debut because his equipment was misplaced in a Toronto hotel; he ended up playing the following night in his teammate's ill-fitting pads and oversized skates. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Jack Norris (no relation) was supposed to play in place of Eddie Johnston, who was suffering from the flu. Having to play anyhow, Johnston ended up breaking his right hand while slashed in the game. Norris recovered his own pads three days later; after checking themm in with the bell captain, they somehow ended up in the trunk of an outgoing guest's car!

year12week21.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Tom Draper, shown here in his longest National Hockey League stop. Compiling a 19-23-5 career record, Draper's magnum opus was likely his performance in Buffalo's near-upset of the Boston Bruins in the 1992 Stanley Cup playoffs.

This is Roger Maynard's ninth career title, and hats are off to him. And well-done to the field! Some very tough questions this past month (to which I'm sure you will attest).

Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Roger Maynard           70
2.  Mark Calandra           59
    Tom Mascioli            59
4.  Kevin Belobaba          57
    Kevin Cameron           57
    Pete Hibbard            57
7.  Jeffery Diamond         49
8.  Bryan McCready          47
9.  Ken Ellis               27
10. Mike Moore              25[/font]

I really enjoyed a few of these questions because of the interesting stories accompanying them - similar to the Norris story from last week. Enjoy!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK TWENTY-TWO (Answers due 10pm MST04/12/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: The New York Rangers' Henrik Lundqvist led the National Hockey League this season with ten shutouts. Prior to Lundqvist, name the last European to lead the league in shutouts.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This Hall-of-Fame netminder's fear of flying came early in his professional career. "We were coming into Pittsburgh and one of the engines caught fire. The pilot extinguished it. But did you ever look out that window and see one of the propellors not turning? If hockey teams traveled by trains like in the old days, I might try and play until I'm ninety-nine." Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Although he played less than one period in the 1980 National Hockey League All-Star Game, Chicago's Tony Esposito made a distinct impression on teammate (and roommate) Pete Peeters. Specifically, what did Peeters find distinctive about Esposito?

year12week22.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
As the bid work reaches its peak, our hero slowly dissolves in a sea of madness...yes, I'm back once more after two more killer work weeks. But I will make it - thanks in no small part to the gameday audio on NHL.com!

I've also been to three playoff games since I last wrote - I love the playoffs. I hate the playoffs. It's just so tense, but so much fun to watch - and it was great being in the building when Jose Theodore was working his first-round magic. Theodore has still never lost a first-round Stanley Cup series; of course, he's never won a second-round series, and it looks as though Colorado might face the Red Wings, so that probably won't change. I hope I'm wrong, though!

We may also have seen the last NHL game from legend Dominik Hasek, after being replaced by Chris Osgood late last week. On the other hand, we've thought that we've seen the last of Hasek before, so he could surprise us!

The trivia from last week - specifically the five-pointer - truly reached the level of "trivial". Here are the answers!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.22:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: The New York Rangers' Henrik Lundqvist led the National Hockey League this season with ten shutouts. Prior to Lundqvist, name the last European to lead the league in shutouts.
CORRECT ANSWER: It really wasn't very long ago - just two years ago, the Calgary Flames' Miikka Kiprusoff had ten shutouts to go along with forty-two victories, a 2.07 goals-against average and 92.3% save percentage. For his efforts, Kiprusoff captured the Vezina Trophy and finished third in Hart Trophy balloting.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This Hall-of-Fame netminder's fear of flying came early in his professional career. "We were coming into Pittsburgh and one of the engines caught fire. The pilot extinguished it. But did you ever look out that window and see one of the propellors not turning? If hockey teams traveled by trains like in the old days, I might try and play until I'm ninety-nine."
CORRECT ANSWER: Gump Worsley, who still managed to play until the age of forty-five despite the lack of trains on the National Hockey League schedule.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Although he played less than one period in the 1980 National Hockey League All-Star Game, Chicago's Tony Esposito made a distinct impression on teammate (and roommate) Pete Peeters. Specifically, what did Peeters find distinctive about Esposito?
CORRECT ANSWER: His snoring. According to Peeters, "I've never heard anybody snore like that. I didn't think anybody could make that much noise in their sleep." Peeters listened for about twenty minutes before going to the front desk of the hotel and asking for another room.

year12week22.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: With the first of his eight National Hockey League franchises, this is Sean Burke. Burke's longest playoff run came with the Devils in 1988, advancing to the Wales Conference Finals before falling to Reggie Lemelin and the Boston Bruins.

No one got the five-pointer; I figured that someone would have heard that Espo story. But that leaves the leader board in a four-way knot!

Code:
[font="Courier New"]
APRIL 2008 LEADER BOARD:
1. Mark Calandra           10
   Kevin Cameron           10
   Tom Mascioli            10
   Roger Maynard           10
5. Ken Ellis               8
6. Bill Clare              5
   Drew Marnfort           5
   Mike Moore              5
   smithro                 5
   Ted Thomas              5
[/font]
GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK TWENTY-THREE (Answers due 10pm MST 04/26/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Two National Hockey League goaltenders set franchise records for regular-season victories in 2007-08. Name them (two points each).

THREE-POINT QUESTION: On April 18, we saw an incredible goaltending performance by Nashville's Dan Ellis, who recorded fifty-two regulation saves before falling in overtime to the Red Wings. In Stanley Cup playoff history, who is the most recent goaltender to have more saves in regulation than Ellis' fifty-two?

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In the 1960s, the National Hockey League finally implemented a rule change in which all teams had to both carry a standby goaltender on regular-season road trips and dress a spare goaltender during all playoff games. What event specifically led to this rule change?

year12week23.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Well, we've come down to it - the last installment of Goaltender Trivia 2007-08! It was a tough balancing act, but somehow it worked out for the most part. Hopefully - despite the false starts - you enjoyed it as much as I did.

My current plan is to continue "lucky" season thirteen in 2008/09 on a monthly basis, with one hundred points of question each month split between fifteen or so questions. This is subject to change, of course, so if you have any brilliant ideas I'd love to hear them!

There was a truly amazing goaltending performace last week which I'd love to talk about except that I'm using it as the basis for one of the questions. If you know of it - and if you do, it's two easy points for you - then you were probably as impressed as I was!

Let's get to the answers from last week...the Sawchuk incident that formed the five-point question is one of my favourite stories from the NHL's history.

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.23:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Two National Hockey League goaltenders set franchise records for regular-season victories in 2007-08. Name them (two points each).
CORRECT ANSWER: Evgeni Nabokov (46 wins) and Niklas Backstrom (33 wins) each set records for their respective clubs.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: On April 18, we saw an incredible goaltending performance by Nashville's Dan Ellis, who recorded fifty-two regulation saves before falling in overtime to the Red Wings. In Stanley Cup playoff history, who is the most recent goaltender to have more saves in regulation than Ellis' fifty-two?
CORRECT ANSWER: On May 24, 1996, the Pittsburgh Penguins' Tom Barrasso stopped fifty-six of sixty-one Florida shots in an Eastern Conference Finals game between the clubs. Barrasso's night ended about as well as Ellis', as the Pens fell by a 5-2 margin.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In the 1960s, the National Hockey League finally implemented a rule change in which all teams had to both carry a standby goaltender on regular-season road trips and dress a spare goaltender during all playoff games. What event specifically led to this rule change?
CORRECT ANSWER: In a nationally-televised contest on April 29, 1964, Detroit netminder Terry Sawchuk developed a pinched nerve in his neck five minutes into the first period and had to leave the contest. Unfortunately, it took replacement goaltender Bob Champoux many minutes to get dressed and enter the game. The rule was implemented that summer.

year12week23.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Buffalo-area native Les Kuntar played six games with the Montreal Canadiens, making his NHL debut in his hometown in relief of Andre Racicot.

Mark Calandra takes a slim lead going into the final week of the season - can he hold back the tide?

Code:
[font="courier new"]
APRIL 2008 LEADER BOARD:
1. Mark Calandra           27
2. Kevin Cameron           24
3. Roger Maynard           22
4. Ken Ellis               15
5. Bill Clare              14
6. Pete Hibbard            12
   Mike Moore              12
8. Tom Mascioli            10
9. Jeff Diamond            9
   smithro                 9[/font]

And here they are! I particularly like the five-pointer this week; I stumbled upon it awhile back and thought it interesting considering recent events involving the league and gambling interests. And the picture shouldn't be too difficult, but is one of my favourite photos. Enjoy!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK TWENTY-FOUR (Answers due 10pm MST 05/03/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Last week, this American Hockey League goaltender faced more than one hundred shots on goal in a single game! Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: In the history of the National Hockey League, name the first goaltender to be pulled at the end of a game for an extra attacker.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Early in his National Hockey League career, this Hall-of-Fame goaltender had an offseason job as a public relations man for the Fort Erie (Ontario) horseracing track. Name him.

year12week24.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Well, I finally figured out a way to stretch this into June!

It's been a busy month of travel for yours truly, but it's finally time to wrap up the April trivia competition and to congratulate Mark Calandra, who pulled out a two-point victory to take his second career monthly championship. Well done, Mark!

Chris Osgood and Marc-Andre Fleury are the last two goaltenders standing in the NHL this season - it surely looks like the Wings will take home their fourth Stanley Cup in eleven years. As a loyal Avalanche fan, I'm pulling for the Penguins, of course, but it's a marvelous display of hockey that the Detroit team has put together this spring. I was at game four of the Wings/Avs series, and it was so embarrassing it was actually funny.

Let's get to the answers!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.24:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Last week, this American Hockey League goaltender faced more than one hundred shots on goal in a single game! Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Michael Leighton of the Albany River Rats stopped ninety-eight of 101 shots on goal in an April 24th 3-2 five-overtime defeat at the hands of the Philadelphia Phantoms. The shot counter on the scoreboard at Albany's Times Union Center's actually reset to zero when the Phantoms reached one hundred, but it was the next shot - off the stick of Ryan Potulny - that would end the game. Amazingly enough, Leighton was only named the number-two star of the game.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: In the history of the National Hockey League, name the first goaltender to be pulled at the end of a game for an extra attacker.
CORRECT ANSWER: On March 16, 1941, Sam LoPresti of the Chicago Black Hawks was pulled by coach Paul Thompson in favour of an extra attacker. The Hawks failed to score in a 3-0 loss to Turk Broda and the Maple Leafs.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Early in his National Hockey League career, this Hall-of-Fame goaltender had an offseason job as a public relations man for the Fort Erie (Ontario) horseracing track. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Gerry Cheevers, who grew up in nearby St. Catharines, served as master of ceremonies for the track's Paddock Club lunch gathering, where he interviewed the top personalities in Canadian racing.

year12week24.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Billy Smith won a total of 393 National Hockey League games including four Stanley Cups with the New York Islanders. The hot-headed Ontario native was inducted into the sport's Hall of Fame in 1993.

Here are the top ten - lower scores this month, but that's due to some awfully tough questions.

Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]APRIL 2008 LEADER BOARD:[/B]
1. Mark Calandra           39
2. Roger Maynard           37
3. Kevin Cameron           31
4. Ken Ellis               22
5. Bill Clare              19
   Pete Hibbard            19
7. Jeff Diamond            16
8. Kevin Belobaba          12
   Todd Devonshire         12
   Mike Moore              12[/font]

I've got several projects in the hopper for this summer - in fact, that's part of the reason this wrap-up edition took as long as long as it did. The first is to database the entire goaltender page - the statistics and log files - so that they're easier to maintain and keep up. You might not believe this, but the statistics and logs currently exist (for me) only in the form you can access on the site. So it's a pain to analyze anything in depth.

The next is to finish the game logs for 1983-84, a very fun campaign. Tom Barrasso won the Calder and Vezina trophies as a rookie for the Sabres, the Oilers unseated the Islanders for their first Stanley Cup, John Vanbiesbrouck was playing goal in the Tulsa parking lots, and Grant Fuhr set a league record for assists by a netminder.

If you have any ideas or requests, I'd love to hear them. If you have the rights to any photos that I could "borrow", or any trivial anecdotes (the more trivial, the better!), or if you just want to chat goaltending, drop me a line. Thank you for all of the laughs and for challenging my trivial skills these past months of 2007-08.

We'll be back in October. Thanks again, and have a great summer!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Just a quick update here - the 2008-09 season of Goaltender Trivia (the thirteenth year!) will start October 11th.

If you have any good ideas for trivia questions, I'd love to hear from you. Mahalo! :handclap:

Al Bundy*

Here's one:

What was the most lopsided Vezina Trophy voting since the modern era of determining Vezina recipients in 1981-82?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Here's one:

What was the most lopsided Vezina Trophy voting since the modern era of determining Vezina recipients in 1981-82?

I'm trying to think of any times I remember hearing about a goalie sweeping all of the 1st place nominations... Pete Peters in (checks) 82/83? Brodeur, Hasek and Kipper both had big wins in "recent" years, but I don't know the points spread between them and #2.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm curious about how many NHL goalies gave up their first official goal against on the penalty shot. I know of one. Who also is the first and only goalie to face penalty shots in his first two career games stopping the second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad