Goaltender Trivia 2007-08 Thread

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
(Could a moderator please sticky this thread, and unsticky the 2006-07 thread? Thank you! :thumbu:)

The twelfth season of Goaltender Trivia starts today!

It's been a busy summer for me - seventy-hour work weeks, in addition to playing goal for four beer league teams. But I'm going to do my best to get these out each week! I'm always looking for great trivia ideas - or even ideas that you think aren't so great - sometimes they are better than you think they are, and sometimes they get my imagination going anyhow. Drop me a line!

On that note, I'm still catching up on summer e-mails - so if you haven't heard from me, it's probably because you asked me something complicated. :) But I'm working on it!

One of my big non-trivia projects involves creating game logs on the Goaltender Home Page (http://hockeygoalies.org). I'm in the process of reconciling the results for 1984-85, and once again I need your help. Please see this thread:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=399300

It explains where I'm at in the process, and some of the more interesting issues I'm currently trying to uncover (the later posts are probably more relevant). If you can help with any of those issues, I'd love to hear from you! You all have access to newspapers that I do not, and you're all very good at the trivia.

Also, if you've got access to complete sets of box scores for anything I might be able to use (especially the 1992 Olympics) I'd love to hear from you. Also, if there's anything on the site that you'd like to see, I'd be happy to help.

I'm planning on distributing GT in four ways this season - on my website, through the GT mailing list (email [email protected] to subscribe), on the Usenet groups rec.sport.hockey and rec.games.trivia, and on HFBoards (http://hfboards.com).

One request - PLEASE do not post your answers publically. It's not fair to others who would like a fair shot at playing the game. I'll take answer submissions both through e-mail and through private messages on HFBoards (although I'd prefer e-mail just to keep things straight in my mind).

Most important request: HAVE FUN! Every decision I make regarding the trivia is with this idea in mind, so please keep it in yours as well.

Just as a reminder, I usually respond to all answer submissions on the weekend following the deadline (and not before). On the face of it, it's to prevent cheating, but really it's so that I can take care of it all at once.

Alright, let's go!

----------------------------------------------------------------
GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK ONE (Answers due 10pm MDT 10/13/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: As of today, name the National Hockey League goaltender who is the highest paid in the league (based on 2007-08 salary cap hit).

THREE-POINT QUESTION: In the long history of the National Hockey League, every franchise has at least one victory in team history. However, one franchise has exactly that - one victory in team history. Name the goaltender who earned that victory.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Prior to Jonathan Bernier, name the last National Hockey League goaltender to start a season-opening game while still a teenager.

PICTORAL QUESTION: Name the following goaltender:
year12week01.jpg

Good luck!
Doug
http://hockeygoalies.org

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
One request - PLEASE do not post your answers publically. It's not fair to others who would like a fair shot at playing the game. I'll take answer submissions both through e-mail and through private messages on HFBoards (although I'd prefer e-mail just to keep things straight in my mind).

Could someone please delete the post above this one? Thanks.

To the poster - I'm glad that you're playing. Please send me via PM or e-mail. Thanks.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Could someone please delete the post above this one? Thanks.

To the poster - I'm glad that you're playing. Please send me via PM or e-mail. Thanks.

Sorry,I deleted,didn't see your very obvious request of not posting publicly.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Two more National Hockey League debuts this past week, as Carey Price and Brian Elliott both joined the ranks of NHL netminders. I like both - my roommate in grad school knows Price's junior billets pretty well, so I've enjoyed following his career to date. And Elliott always impressed me - could be the next in a long line of Wisconsin Badger alums to succeed in the NHL.

One Price-related pet peeve: the National Hockey League reported that Price's debut came "exactly 22 years after [Patrick] Roy made his much-hyped NHL debut for the Montreal Canadiens in Pittsburgh". Many of you know that this is false - Roy's NHL debut came in February of 1985 against the Winnipeg Jets. Anyhow...

Much public thanks to Gary Burrows, who was a huge help with my 1984-85 NHL game log discrepancies (as mentioned last week). We are getting closer on this one; it's like putting together the last pieces of a jigsaw puzzle (unlike a traditional jigsaw puzzle, this gets harder to piece together as you get closer to finishing). If you think you can help, I'd love to hear from you!

Let's go ahead and get to the answers from last week - some fun ones in here!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GT #12.1:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: As of today, name the National Hockey League goaltender who is the highest paid in the league (based on 2007-08 salary cap hit).
CORRECT ANSWER: Nikolai Khabibulin of the Chicago Blackhawks is currently earning 6.75 million for the 2007-08 season. And, as of now, Roberto Luongo of Vancouver has matched him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: In the long history of the National Hockey League, every franchise has at least one victory in team history. However, one franchise has exactly that - one victory in team history. Name the goaltender who earned that victory.
CORRECT ANSWER: Bert Lindsay of the Montreal Wanderers, who earned a 10-9 win over the Toronto Maple Leafs. You surely know Bert's son, Hall of Famer Ted Lindsay. The Wanderers, who won seven Stanley Cups in pre-NHL days, only played four games before their home rink burned down early in 1918.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Prior to Jonathan Bernier, name the last National Hockey League goaltender to start a season-opening game while still a teenager.
CORRECT ANSWER: On October 10, 2003, Marc-Andre Fleury and the Pittsburgh Penguins squared off against Los Angeles. Less than two months prior to his nineteenth birthday, Fleury's squad was outshot by a 48-11 margin, but the brave youngster held firm in an eventual 3-0 loss.

year12week01.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Gilles Meloche got his big National Hockey League break when Chicago traded him to the California Golden Seals in late October of 1971. One of the more underappreciated netminders of his era, Meloche finally got his due when he helped propel the Minnesota North Stars to the 1981 Stanley Cup Final.

Wow! A lot of you started off the season with some great weeks - including eight perfect scores and many more who are right there.

Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]OCTOBER 2007 LEADER BOARD:[/B]
Gary Burrows            15
Mark Calandra           15
Kevin Cameron           15
Pete Hibbard            15
Simon Jean              15
Tom Mascioli            15
Roger Maynard           15
Tom Vinacci             15
David Heit              13
Brett Wilmotte          12
[/font]

I hope that you enjoy the questions this week - longtime GT readers will recognize the two-pointer as a standard (and you were hopefully noting this event when it occurred). The photo is one of my favourites. Regardless, I'm off to make some of my famous chili - it's finally cold in Denver!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK TWO (Answers due 10pm MDT 10/20/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Which goaltender allowed the first goal of the 2007-08 National Hockey League regular season?

THREE-POINT QUESTION: The Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Ducks squared off last month in London, England to start the 2007-08 campaign. Name the first goaltender to win a regular-season National Hockey League game on non-North American soil.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the Montreal sports editor who was largely responsible for persuading hockey teams to begin using goal nets.

year12week02.jpg

Good luck!
Doug
http://hockeygoalies.org :D

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
In case you're wondering where the heck I've been all day, the e-mail server I use was down for basically the entire day. There's nothing more exciting that knowing you've got a lot of e-mails to respond to, but also knowing that you can't get to them. On the bright side, the account is free - or pre-paid with seven years of graduate school - and I get to store a lot of stuff there.

If you haven't seen Jonathan Toews' goal against Colorado on Friday evening, you should really check it out. Wow.

One thing I've been working on lately - other than the 1984-85 goaltender game logs - is a comprehensive goaltender statistical database. Many of you don't know this, but everything on the Goaltender Home Page is typed - by hand - by me. And that leads to the inevitable type as well as delays in updated statistics on the pages. This database should eventually help with both of those issues.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd let you know what's up. Let's check out the trivia answers from last week, where I managed to sneak my favourite goaltender into the answers once again!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.2:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Which goaltender allowed the first goal of the 2007-08 National Hockey League regular season?
CORRECT ANSWER: On September 29, 2007, at 8:35 of the first period, Mike Cammalleri put a power-play marker past Ilya Bryzgalov to give Los Angeles an early lead. The Kings would take the win, in London, by a 4-1 margin.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: The Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Ducks squared off last month in London, England to start the 2007-08 campaign. Name the first goaltender to win a regular-season National Hockey League game on non-North American soil.
CORRECT ANSWER: In advance of the 1998 Olympics, the National Hockey League opened their 1997-98 campaign in Tokyo. On October 3, 1997, Vancouver's Kirk McLean outdueled Anaheim's Guy Hebert in a 3-2 contest.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the Montreal sports editor who was largely responsible for persuading hockey teams to begin using goal nets.
CORRECT ANSWER: William A. Hewitt, who in 1899 persuaded some of the Montreal-area teams to use the nets. Although some goaltenders were not fans of the movement-limiting netting, it curtailed the large number of controversial goal calls. Hewitt's son is the well-known broadcaster Foster Hewitt.

year12week02.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Don Simmons, who spent his first five big league seasons with the Bruins, including reasonably successful playoff runs in his first two years.

We've still got four perfect scores after two weeks, and many others still in the mix!

Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Mark Calandra           30
    Simon Jean              30
    Tom Mascioli            30
    Roger Maynard           30
5.  Kevin Cameron           25
6.  Gary Burrows            22
    Brett Wilmotte          22
8.  Bryan McCready          20
    PittPenguin44           20
10. Kevin Belobaba          15
    Tom Vinacci             15
[/font]

Some crazy questions this week - which I always love. Enjoy!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK THREE (Answers due 10pm MDT 10/27/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the National Hockey League goaltender who, in April of 2006, was named one of People Magazine's "World's 100 Most Beautiful People".

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender was forced to leave a Stanley Cup playoff game because his goal mask had been thrown into the crowd during an altercation, and he did not have a spare. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Called by some the first true butterfly goaltender in hockey history, this goaltender may also be the heaviest to have his name enscribed on the Stanley Cup. Name him.

year12week03.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I spend a lot of time promoting the history and traditions of the sport, and as part of that, I like to tell you about others who do the same. Enter Joe Pelletier, the co-author (with longtime GT champion Patrick Houda) of the fantastic "The World Cup of Hockey", from which I occasionally pilfer questions.

Joe is now blogging regularly on the history of the sport, at http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/. His posts are always well-thought-out, and he covers a variety of topics. Make sure to bookmark him!

Speaking of a variety of topics, here are the answers to last week's trivia...

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.3:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the National Hockey League goaltender who in April of 2006, was named one of People Magazine's "World's 100 Most Beautiful People".
CORRECT ANSWER: New York Rangers' sensation Henrik Lundqvist. The 25-year-old Swede currently sports a 1.90 goals-against average and 92.8% save percentage while playing in all ten of the Rangers' 2007-08 contests.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender was forced to leave a Stanley Cup playoff game because his goal mask had been thrown into the crowd during an altercation, and he did not have a spare. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: On April 8, 1971, Vic Hadfield of the New York Rangers pulled off Bernie Parent's goalmask while the latter was tangled with counterpart Ed Giacomin. After a search for the mask proved fruitless, Parent was replaced by Jacques Plante.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Called by some the first true butterfly goaltender in hockey history, this goaltender may also be the heaviest to have his name enscribed on the Stanley Cup. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: You will find Billy Nicholson's name on the Stanley Cup with the 1901-02 and 1902-03 Montreal AAA squads. What you won't find inscribed on the Cup is that Nicholson topped the scales at somewhere between 250 and 300 pounds! Probably the first goaltender to drop to the ice to stop shots, the writers of "Ultimate Hockey" (among others) anointed him as the first true butterfly goaltender.

year12week03.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Curt Ridley, who performed admirably as Cesare Maniago's backup with the late 1970's Vancouver Canucks.

Roger Maynard moves into the slim lead over the field with one week to play!

Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Roger Maynard           45
2.  Mark Calandra           40
    Simon Jean              40
    Tom Mascioli            40
5.  Kevin Cameron           35
6.  Bryan McCready          30
    PittPenguin44           30
8.  Gary Burrows            29
9.  Kevin Belobaba          25
10. Pete Hibbard            22
    Brett Wilmotte          22
[/font]

Last trivia of the month this week, so good luck and have fun!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK FOUR (Answers due 10pm MDT 11/3/07):
TWO-POINT QUESTION: The top goaltender selected in his draft class,
this young netminder has finally come into his own this season with
twice as many shutouts as any other National Hockey League goalie.
Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the only member of the Pittsburgh Penguins
would not allow the producers of the 1995 Jean-Claude Van Damme film
"Sudden Death" to use his name for one of the players.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Legendary coach Scotty Bowman named his son
Stanley after his first Cup triumph with the 1973 Canadiens.
Although he joked that his son's full name is Stanley Cup Bowman, the
middle name was taken from the name of a National Hockey League
goaltender. Name the goaltender.

year12week04.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

TWO-POINT QUESTION: The top goaltender selected in his draft class, this young netminder has finally come into his own this season with twice as many shutouts as any other National Hockey League goalie. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the only member of the Pittsburgh Penguins would not allow the producers of the 1995 Jean-Claude Van Damme film "Sudden Death" to use his name for one of the players.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Legendary coach Scotty Bowman named his son Stanley after his first Cup triumph with the 1973 Canadiens. Although he joked that his son's full name is Stanley Cup Bowman, the middle name was taken from the name of a National Hockey League goaltender. Name the goaltender.

http://hockeygoalies.org/trivia/pictures/year12week04.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Congratulations to Roger Maynard, who takes home the crown for October's championship! (Actual crown not included.) This is Roger's first title of the year (obvious), but his seventh overall and sixth consecutive!

We finally got the NHL Network here in Denver this week, and it's my new favourite channel. The other night, I think I watched the same "On The Fly" highlights show for six hours straight. The only problem is that I'm never at home during the day when they show classic games (and I'm not really interested in a DVR).

I'll oftentimes include links here to sites that I like, and consequently hope that you will like. SI.com has an impressive gallery of active goaltender masks on their website:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0711/nhl.goalie.masks/content.1.html

Enjoy! Let's get to the answers...

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.4:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: The top goaltender selected in his draft class, this young netminder has finally come into his own this season with twice as many shutouts as any other National Hockey League goalie. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Taken eighth overall in 2001 (two picks ahead of Dan Blackburn), Columbus' Pascal Leclaire now has four shutouts in his first eight games. Plagued by injuries through his pro career, hopefully he can keep this hot streak going.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the only member of the Pittsburgh Penguins would not allow the producers of the 1995 Jean-Claude Van Damme film "Sudden Death" to use his name for one of the players.
CORRECT ANSWER: Goaltender "Brad Tolliver" was a Tom Barrasso clone - right down to the equipment and sweater number. Tolliver was played by then-recently retired Penguin Jay Caufield.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Legendary coach Scotty Bowman named his son Stanley after his first Cup triumph with the 1973 Canadiens. Although he joked that his son's full name is Stanley Cup Bowman, the middle name was taken from the name of a National Hockey League goaltender. Name the goaltender.
CORRECT ANSWER: The goaltender who helped Bowman get to his first three Cup Finals, Glenn Hall was nearly two years older than Bowman himself.

year12week04.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: The fifth-overall choice in the 2005 entry draft, the heralded Carey Price led the Hamilton Bulldogs to the Calder Cup last spring and made his National Hockey League debut last month.

Well, he did it with a perfect month! Congratulations to Roger Maynard, and to those who helped to make this a very solid top ten list:
Code:
[font=courier new]
1. Roger Maynard           60
2. Mark Calandra           55
   Simon Jean              55
   Tom Mascioli            55
5. Kevin Cameron           50
6. Bryan McCready          45
   PittPenguin44           45
8. Gary Burrows            41
9. Pete Hibbard            37
   Brett Wilmotte          37[/font]

November starts now, so it's time for a fresh start. Have fun!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK FIVE (Answers due 10pm MST 11/10/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Although there have been many father-son pairs who have tended goal in the National Hockey League, only one pair played for the same franchise. The son is currently active in the league - name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who once threatened to retire unless the National Hockey League's rules on licensing rights were waived so that he could wear the Pepsi logo on his equipment.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In 1978, this goaltender became the first North American player to re-enter the National Hockey League draft and be selected a second time. Name him.

year12week05.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Wow - the prevailing opinion this week from the Goaltender Trivia participants was that the questions were too difficult. That did not stop an amazing twelve competitors from working through a perfect fifteen-point week. I believe that this is a record!

Yes, as it turns out, the picture question was the same one used by the excellent Goalies Archive (http://goaliesarchive.com). That was not my intent - in fact, I found that particular photo on eBay. I should probably start checking for those things.

Probably my favourite goalie site right now is Sebastien Tremblay's Goaltenders.info (http://goaltenders.info). I won't spoil any of your fun perusing things, but there should be a lot there to keep you busy for some time.

As for why my site isn't my favourite - it's like the difference between cooking your own dinner and eating at a fancy restaurant. Anyhow, let's get to last week's questions!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.5:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Although there have been many father-son pairs who have tended goal in the National Hockey League, only one pair played for the same franchise. The son is currently active in the league - name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: In October of 1999, current Carolina goaltender John Grahame made his National Hockey League debut with the Boston Bruins. A little more than twenty years earlier, his father, Ron Grahame, made the jump from the World Hockey Associaton to the Bruins. The elder Grahame was traded to Los Angeles after one season in exchange for the draft choice that would become Ray Bourque.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who once threatened to retire unless the National Hockey League's rules on licensing rights were waived so that he could wear the Pepsi logo on his equipment.
CORRECT ANSWER: In the summer of 1989, Grant Fuhr signed retirement papers which were never filed with the league - the situation was resolved on August 24, and Fuhr reported to training camp. Many believe that Fuhr's agent, Rich Winter, orchestrated the scenario to force a trade or a contract restructuring.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In 1978, this goaltender became the first North American player to re-enter the National Hockey League draft and be selected a second time. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Goaltender Randy Ireland was selected sixtieth overall by Chicago in the 1977 draft, but was never signed and Ireland reentered the draft the following year (selected by Buffalo with the 82nd pick). Forty picks later, the Washington Capitals selected Rich Sirois, who had been taken by the Sabres in the previous year's draft (86th overall).

year12week05.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: One of the shorter goaltenders in modern-day professional hockey, Jacques Cloutier split time in the 1989-90 Chicago nets (with Alain Chevrier) before the emergence of Ed Belfour resulted in Cloutier's trade to Quebec. The 5'7" Cloutier is now an assistant coach with the Colorado Avalanche.

Here are the aforementioned "Top Twelve" list - all perfect records heading into the second week. Congratulations to all!

Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]NOVEMBER 2007 LEADER BOARD:[/B]
1. Ryan Angus              15
   Gary Burrows            15
   Mark Calandra           15
   Jason Kurylo            15
   Bryan McCready          15
   Brett Wilmotte          15
   James Wolbach-Smith     15[/font]

After saying that last week's questions were evidently too easy, you may be expecting these to be harder. But some are quite accessible. So be prepared!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK SIX (Answers due 10pm MST 11/17/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Mike Modano recently became the National Hockey League's all-time record holder for most points scored by an American born player. Against which goaltender did Modano set the record?

THREE-POINT QUESTION: The first man to record a shutout in Stanley Cup history did so on the strength of borrowed cricket pads protecting his legs. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In 1983-84, Grant Fuhr set the National Hockey League record for assists in one season by a goaltender, breaking the mark held by Mike Palmateer. Who held the record immediately prior to Palmateer?

year12week06.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Well, there were twelve perfect scores after one week. After two weeks, there are...thirteen?

That's right - I keep throwing out some hard questions, and the top of the list keeps hitting them out of the park. And I missed an entrant somehow in the shuffle last week, so there should have been thirteen last week, too. It seems like the wider availability of the NHL Network is making everyone goalie-smarter!

On the other side of the coin, it's surprising when an error gets through a week of Goaltender Trivia. Not that it is particularly unusual when I make a mistake (I make lots of mistakes), but usually a competitor identifies it during the week. Last week, I stated that Ron and John Grahame were the only National Hockey League father/son pair to play goal for the same franchise. As reader Rocky Bonanno points out, Bob (1972-73) and Brent (1999-2003) Johnson both played for the St. Louis Blues. Thank you to Rocky, and my apologies for the botch.

Congratulations to New Jersey's Martin Brodeur, who on his fourth attempt became the second (and youngest) National Hockey League netminder to reach five hundred regular-season victories. The win came last night in Philadelphia against the Flyers, with Marty stopping twenty-six of twenty-eight shots in a 6-2 decision.

When Ilya Bryzgalov gets waived because Anaheim cannot make a trade, that's a sign that there are so many great goaltenders in this league. I'm not that surprised that Phoenix picked him up, but perhaps the team is going to petition the league to skate five goaltenders and one skater. Bryzgalov, Aebischer, Tellqvist, Auld,
and LeNeveu all on the ice at once certainly wouldn't help the league increase scoring.

Let's get to last week's answers!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.6:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Mike Modano recently became the National Hockey League's all-time record holder for most points scored by an American born player. Against which goaltender did Modano set the record?
CORRECT ANSWER: On November 7th against the San Jose Sharks, Modano did not waste any time, scoring twice in the first 4:24 of the game against Evgeni Nabokov. Modano's first goal tied Phil Housley's record, while the second - a shorthanded marker - passed Housley. The second goal was also the game-winner in a 3-1 victory.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: The first man to record a shutout in Stanley Cup history did so on the strength of borrowed cricket pads protecting his legs. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: In the 1896 battle of the Victorias, the Winnipeg Victorias shut out the Montreal Victorias by a 2-0 margin. The winning goaltender was George "Whitey" Merritt.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In 1983-84, Grant Fuhr set the National Hockey League record for assists in one season by a goaltender, breaking the mark held by Mike Palmateer. Who held the record immediately prior to Palmateer?
CORRECT ANSWER: In 1974-75, the California Golden Seals' Gilles Meloche set the league mark with six helpers. It may have been the highlight of the year for Meloche, who did what he could on with an overwhelmed Seals roster in front of him.

year12week06.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Eagle-eyed readers were able to spot the surname on the side of the mask. This is Ron Low, who played for the Washington Capitals for the franchise's first three seasons, and registered the club's first shutout.

As I said above, there must be something in the water. Here are the honoured Top Thirteen of the week:

Code:
[font=courier new]
NOVEMBER 2007 LEADER BOARD:
1. Ryan Angus              30
   Jonathan Braniff        30
   Gary Burrows            30
   Mark Calandra           30
   Kevin Cameron           30
   Pete Hibbard            30
   Simon Jean              30
   Jason Kurylo            30
   Bryan McCready          30
   Brett Wilmotte          30
   James Wolbach-Smith     30[/font]

The first one should be pretty reasonable. The last two? Hey, I've got to break the tie somehow!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK SEVEN (Answers due 10pm MST 11/24/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Jeremy Roenick recently became the latest National Hockey Leauger to reach the five hundred goal mark. Against which netminder did Roenick achieve the milestone?

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender is the most-recent victim of a Stanley Cup printing error. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Andy Brown was the last goaltender in major league professional hockey to play without a mask, finally retiring from the World Hockey Associaton in 1977. Other than Brown, name the two netminders to play in WHA games without a mask.

PICTORAL QUESTION: Name both of the following goaltenders:
year12week07.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Down to nine perfect scores after three weeks - and moreover, all nine got the picture that I pulled out of an old International Hockey League media guide. What I forgot to do, however, is check to see if the photo was elsewhere online. Sigh.

A topic that this evokes is how to help everyone have a good time. I've always let it be known that people should answer the trivia in the way in which they find the most enjoyment - after all, it's not like I'm giving out new cars here. But at the same time, I've heard from some people who get frustrated at the high level of the leader board. So how can we get more people happy?

I don't want to discourage looking up answers. Instead I'd love to hear your ideas on what should be done (if anything). What about this - separate divisions for those who want to use any means necessary to get the answers, and for those who only want to use what's already in their heads?

Thanks to Tom Vinacci for pointing this out - last night, the Western Hockey League's Portland Winter Hawks were outshot by a 68-30 margin at the hands of the Chilliwack Bruins. But thanks to the 65-save performance of Kurtis Mucha, the Winter Hawks escaped with a 4-3 win! Portland actually built a 4-0 lead before the Bruins were able to chip away. Mucha's record breaks the 59-save franchise mark set by Bart Hunter on December 6, 1977.

Some great new photos on the profile pages of Al Montoya, Chris Holt, Yann Danis, Jaroslav Halak and Ondrej Pavelec, provided by the photography of Mike Ashmore (first four) and Pete Hibbard (Pavelec). Thanks, guys!

Anyhow, let's get to the answers for last week...

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.7:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Jeremy Roenick recently became the latest National Hockey Leauger to reach the five hundred goal mark. Against which netminder did Roenick achieve the milestone?
CORRECT ANSWER: Phoenix's Alex Auld, in one of the more unusual goals of the season. The goaltenders out there will happily point out that the puck sometimes has a mind of its own!

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender is the most-recent victim of a Stanley Cup printing error. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: On the 2002 Stanley Cup, Manny Legace's name was originally spelled "Lagace". Several people pointed out that Eric Staal recently fell victim to an error, while Tom Mascioli mentioned a story that I was not aware of - Jean-Sebastien Giguere's name was misspelled on his 2007 Cup ring.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Andy Brown was the last goaltender in major league professional hockey to play without a mask, finally retiring from the World Hockey Associaton in 1977. Other than Brown, name the two netminders to play in WHA games without a mask.
CORRECT ANSWER: Joe Daley, who holds the league's regular-season record for wins, also shares this distinction, with Brown and forty-two year old Bob Perreault. Daley switched to a mask in the fall of 1973.

PICTORAL QUESTION: Name both of the following goaltenders:
year12week07.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: The goaltenders of the 1970-71 Fort Wayne Komets, these are Jim Keough and Robbie Irons. Keough is probably best known for his stellar career at the University of Michigan, while Irons backed up both Glenn Hall and Jacques Plante for the 1968-69 St. Louis Blues before starring for the Komets for eleven
seasons.

We're down to nine with one week to go - how many will remain after this set of questions?
Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Ryan Angus              45
    Jonathan Braniff        45
    Gary Burrows            45
    Kevin Cameron           45
    Pete Hibbard            45
    Simon Jean              45
    Tom Mascioli            45
    Roger Maynard           45
    Brett Wilmotte          45
10. Mark Calandra           40
    James Wolbach-Smith     40[/font]

Last week of the November competition, so this one could settle some ties. Make your answers count!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK EIGHT (Answers due 10pm MST 12/1/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender has now faced his identical twin twice in National Hockey League competition, although he has yet to face a shot on goal from him. Name the brothers.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the last time that both of a National Hockey League franchise's two goaltenders were born in the United States.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In one regular season, this National Hockey League goaltender recorded more than half of all shutouts earned in the league. Name him.

year12week08.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
For the entire month, Ryan Angus has stood atop the Goaltender Trivia standings, but that was largely due to the favourable nature of his last name. Now he stands at the top of the list, and he stands alone. Congratulations to Ryan, who captures his first-ever title!

Also congratulations to Vancouver's Roberto Luongo, who (as I write this) is standing on a three-game shutout streak, blanking Chicago, Anaheim and Columbus. More on Luongo in this week's questions...

Let's go ahead to last week's answers - one of the questions had multiple answers depending on how the reader interprets the question. Another of the questions had multiple answers no matter how you interpret it. From my background as a professor, I'm usually pretty good at working my questions in an unambiguous fashion, but I still get sloppy from time to time. Mea culpa!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.8:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender has now faced his identical twin twice in National Hockey League competition, although he has yet to face a shot on goal from him. Name the brothers.
CORRECT ANSWER: The New York Rangers' Henrik Lundqvist has had more immediate success than his brother Joel, a centre with the Dallas Stars. But Joel has been growing and learning, and has the potential to be a top-six forward in the league.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the last time that both of a National Hockey League franchise's two goaltenders were born in the United States.
CORRECT ANSWER: The last game with two American-born goaltenders featured Buffalo's Ryan Miller and Ty Conklin, although the New York Islanders' Rick DiPietro and Mike Dunham were the last pair to be the top two for an entire campaign. Both came about in 2006-07.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In one regular season, this National Hockey League goaltender recorded more than half of all shutouts earned in the league. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Most recently, Detroit's Johnny Mowers notched six shutouts in 1942-43 while the rest of the league totalled five. In the league's formative years, Hall-of-Famer Clint Benedict did this multiple times.

year12week08.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: The American goaltender at the 1992 Winter Olympics, Ray LeBlanc was in goal when the Kitchener Rangers found their way to the 1984 Memorial Cup final game, falling to Darren Pang and the Ottawa 67's.

Here are the final monthly totals - this may have been the toughest Goaltender Trivia month on record, so these scores should be seen in that light. Congratulations to all!
Code:
[font=courier new]
1. Ryan Angus              60
2. Jonathan Braniff        55
   Simon Jean              55
   Pete Hibbard            55
   Tom Mascioli            55
   Roger Maynard           55
   Brett Wilmotte          55
8. Kevin Belobaba          47
   Mark Calandra           47
   Kevin Cameron           47[/font]

December starts now, so now's your chance to get to the top of the list and stay there!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK NINE (Answers due 10pm MST 12/8/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: The single-season National Hockey League record for wins in a single postseason is sixteen; due to the nature of the event, this record is shared by many goaltenders. Which goaltender initially set this record?

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Vancouver's Roberto Luongo has shut out his last three National Hockey League opponents. Prior to Luongo, name the last NHL netminder to record three consecutive shutouts.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: When Don Beaupre went down with a groin injury in the 1990 Stanley Cup playoffs, name the radio colour commentator who suddently found himself as a National Hockey League goaltender.

year12week09.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
A lot of long answers in this week's mailing, so I'll keep the preamble to a minimum. The Shawn Simpson story in the five-pointer is one of my all-time favourites, for what it's worth!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.9:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: The single-season National Hockey League record for wins in a single postseason is sixteen; due to the nature of the event, this record is shared by many goaltenders. Which goaltender initially set this record?
CORRECT ANSWER: In the spring of 1988, Edmonton's Grant Fuhr went an incredible 16-2 as the Oilers stormed through the Stanley Cup playoffs (in Wayne Gretzky's last hurrah with the club).

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Vancouver's Roberto Luongo has shut out his last three National Hockey League opponents. Prior to Luongo, name the last NHL netminder to record three consecutive shutouts.
CORRECT ANSWER: Ilya Bryzgalov performed the feat in the 2006 Stanley Cup playoffs, turning aside Calgary in the deciding series game before thwarting Colorado in the first two games of their match. The last in the regular season? That would be Brian Boucher, in the last three games of his five-game shutout streak.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: When Don Beaupre went down with a groin injury in the 1990 Stanley Cup playoffs, name the radio colour commentator who suddently found himself as a National Hockey League goaltender.
CORRECT ANSWER: Shawn Simpson. Quoting Christine Brennan in the Washington Post: "Radio color commentator Shawn Simpson was halfway through a broadcast of last night's (4/23/1990) Baltimore Skipjacks game at Baltimore Arena when a breathless man came up to him and said, "Pack your gear, hop in the car and get down to Washington right away." Simpson's night as a broadcaster was over. He was about to become the Washington Capitals' backup goaltender.

When Don Beaupre went out with a groin injury in the opening minutes of last night's playoff game, the Capitals quickly called their farm team in Baltimore and asked for an available goaltender. Simpson, 21, Baltimore's third-string goaltender - who is so available he sits in the broadcast booth - was ready and willing. He arrived at
Capital Centre between the second and third periods. He found a jersey waiting for him - No. 30, with his last name on the back.

"You always dream about something like this happening," said Simpson, who has spent six years in the minors [sic]. "Does this count toward my pension?"

year12week09.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Ron Tugnutt. This is from a print advertisement for the Poulan PRO lawnmower which ran in magazines in early 1992. If you're wondering what the connection is, here's an excerpt from the text: "Ron Tugnutt, National Hockey League goalie can't afford to let too many things get past him...that's why he mows his lawn with a Poulan PRO." Yeah, I don't get it, either.

Three folks at the top of the list in what turned out to be a very tricky week of questions (there are a bevy of folks with two or three points after the week).

Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]DECEMBER 2007 LEADER BOARD:[/B]
1. Pete Hibbard            15
4. Ryan Angus              10
   Mark Calandra           10
   Kevin Cameron           10
   Roger Maynard           10
   Bryan McCready          10
9. Kevin Belobaba          5
   Eric Lewis              5[/font]

I always like getting Harry Neale involved in the trivia, and I got one more chance this week. The photo shouldn't be too difficult, but I liked it so much that I had to include it. Have fun!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK TEN (Answers due 10pm MST 12/15/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: While this goaltender sat out a full season in order to work as a law clerk, his National Hockey League team set a single-season club record for most regular-season goals allowed. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: When this National Hockey League goaltender managed to injure both of his knees on the same play, his coach (Harry Neale) was asked if he had ever seen that before, and he remarked, "No, I never have. It's pretty good, too, because the NHL record is three." Who was the goaltender?

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This National Hockey League goaltender was the older half of the first father-son combination in league history. Name him.

year12week10.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Here's some more on the Shawn Simpson story of last week - the reason Shawn was chosen to make the drive to Washington is that both of the Baltimore Skipjack goaltenders were playing in the game that Simpson was broadcasting. Jim Hrivnak was in goal, and Bob Mason was on the bench - in retrospect, Washington GM David Poile sad that he could have called on Mason because "all he had to do was take off his skates and get in the car."

Hrivnak ended up backing up Mike Liut for two weeks until Beaupre was recovered from his groin injury.

Let's go ahead and get to this past week's trivia answers!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.11:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: While this goaltender sat out a full season in order to work as a law clerk, his National Hockey League team set a single-season club record for most regular-season goals allowed. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Naturally, this man is the great Ken Dryden, whose Canadiens gave up 240 goals against in his 1973-74 absence, culminating in a first-round defeat in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: When this National Hockey League goaltender managed to injure both of his knees on the same play, his coach (Harry Neale) was asked if he had ever seen that before, and he remarked, "No, I never have. It's pretty good, too, because the NHL record is three." Who was the goaltender?
CORRECT ANSWER: Curt Ridley, who played his final ten Vancouver Canuck games during Neale's rookie coaching campaign before being sold off to Toronto.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This National Hockey League goaltender was the older half of the first father-son combination in league history. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: The question is a bit ambiguous, so let me start with the answer I was hoping for (which you may have been able to infer from the way I phrased the question). Bert Lindsay and his more-famous son Ted were the first father-son combination in NHL history. The first combination in which both were goaltenders? That would be Sam LoPresti and his son, Pete.

Complicating matters, a few sites - including the Legends of Hockey site, list Leo Reise Sr. and Leo Reise Jr. as the first father-son combination in NHL history. This is quickly dismissed by noting the first seasons of the sons.

year12week10.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Patiently waiting out yet another of the many 1970s-era brawls, Washington Capitals netminder Wayne Stephenson takes a breather.

A familiar face stands all alone - for the moment - atop the leader board, with two weeks to play!
Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]DECEMBER 2007 LEADER BOARD:[/B]
1. Tom Mascioli            27
2. Mark Calandra           22
   Kevin Cameron           22
   Pete Hibbard            22
   Roger Maynard           22
   Bryan McCready          22
7. Kevin Belobaba          20
8. Simon Jean              15
9. Ellis Kenkim            12
   Mike Moore              12
   MXD                     12
   Chris Polehoykie        12[/font]

Due to the holidays and what-not, this is a double-long week, so you have plenty of time to recall the answers. Happy holidays to all of you!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK ELEVEN (Answers due 10pm MST 12/29/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Through December 15, name the goaltender who has started each of his team's 2007-08 regular season National Hockey League games.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Although he was expected to carry the load for Canada in the 1984 Canada Cup, Grant Fuhrsuccumbed to a knee injury in the team's 4-4 tie against the United States and was forced from the tournament. Who was subsequently added to the roster?

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the man who was the first goaltender in league history to be drafted in the National Hockey League entry draft, and then start the following season with the club who selected him.

year12week11.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Any idea how long it takes to update two weeks' worth of NHL and AHL goaltender game logs? About six hours. Sigh.

Let's go ahead straight to last week's answers - the five-pointer is a favourite of mine, because it contradicted something that I thought I "knew" while I uncovered it. In fact, those of you who were working with a cached version of the goalie site may wonder why John Davidson is not the correct answer. Confusing? Yes!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.12:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Through December 15, name the goaltender who has started each of his team's 2007-08 regular season National Hockey League games.
CORRECT ANSWER: Evgeni Nabokov of the San Jose Sharks. The streak is still active at the present time.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Although he was expected to carry the load for Canada in the 1984 Canada Cup, Grant Fuhr succumbed to a knee injury in the team's 4-4 tie against the United States and was forced from the tournament. Who was subsequently added to the roster?
CORRECT ANSWER: Rejean Lemelin was added to Canada's roster after the September 3 game. Pete Peeters carried much of the load the rest of the way for the Canadians, although Lemelin was vital, subbing in for Peeters after Sweden got within one goal in the third period of the final game.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the man who was the first goaltender in league history to be drafted in the National Hockey League entry draft, and then start the following season with the club who selected him.
CORRECT ANSWER: In 1972-73, new Pittsburgh draftee Denis Herron made the Penguins out of training camp, and started the team's third game of the year (a 5-2 win over California). He was sent to Hershey of the AHL later in the season (which is why the Blues' John Davidson is the first goaltender to be drafted and then spend his entire rookie professional season in the National Hockey League).

year12week11.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Marc Denis, of the QMJHL Chicoutimi Sagneneens. I believe that this photograph is taken from the 1997 Memorial Cup tournament.

Tom Mascioli still holds his five-point lead after a slow week, as the holiday season and a difficult set of questions conspired to keep totals low.

Code:
[font=courier new]
DECEMBER 2007 LEADER BOARD:
1.  Tom Mascioli            37
2.  Kevin Cameron           32
    Bryan McCready          32
4.  Mark Calandra           27
5.  Pete Hibbard            24
6.  Kevin Belobaba          22
    Roger Maynard           22
8.  Ellis Kenkim            17
9.  Simon Jean              15
10. Mike Moore              14[/font]

One week remaining in December - thank you to Jon Kark for suggesting the five-point trivia question this week - it's a great one!

Also, a happy New Year to you all - I'm looking forward to the Sabres hosting the Penguins in the outdoor game!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK TWELVE (Answers due 10pm MST 01/05/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: For this goaltender's autobiography, released in October of 2006, all photographs were taken by his father. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Recently, the (NFL) Washington Redskins' Sean Taylor became just the second player in the history of the four major North American team sports to be selected posthumously to his league's All-Star Game. Which National Hockey League goaltender was the first?

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Washington Capitals centre David Steckel scored his first three National Hockey League goals in three different games against three different goaltenders. Although this is not unusual, what (obvious) feature do the goaltenders have in common that makes Steckel's feat unique?

year12week12.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Congratulations to Tom Mascioli, who takes a five-point margin all the way to the finish line in capturing his eighteenth Goaltender Trivia monthly title!

And congratulations to Team Canada for their overtime victory over Team Sweden in yesterday's finals of the World Junior Championships. Even though the team I was rooting for finished fourth, it's fantastic that the NHL Network was showing coverage this year. Thank you!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.12:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: For this goaltender's autobiography, released in October of 2006, all photographs were taken by his father. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: The book "Brodeur: Beyond the Crease" was written by the New Jersey Devils' Martin Brodeur, with photographs from father Denis. A longtime photographer for the Montreal Canadiens, the elder Brodeur was an outstanding goaltender in his own right, winning a bronze medal at the 1956 Olympics with Team Canada.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Recently, the (NFL) Washington Redskins' Sean Taylor became just the second player in the history of the four major North American team sports to be selected posthumously to his league's All-Star Game. Which National Hockey League goaltender was the first?
CORRECT ANSWER: Pelle Lindbergh, the star Philadephia netminder who was killed tragically in November of 1985, was voted to the Wales Conference's starting lineup for the 1986 all-star game. Teammate Bob Froese played in his place, earning the win in a 4-3 overtime victory.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Washington Capitals centre David Steckel scored his first three National Hockey League goals in three different games against three different goaltenders. Although this is not unusual, what (obvious) feature do the goaltenders have in common that makes Steckel's feat unique?
CORRECT ANSWER: Steckel's three goals were scored against Marc Denis, Johan Holmqvist and Karri Ramo, all goaltenders for the Tampa Bay Lightning franchise. This is the first time in league history that a player's first three goals have come in three different games against three different goaltenders from the same franchise.

year12week12.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: John Ross Roach, an underrated netminder from the National Hockey League's formative years, here at the end of his career with the Detroit Red Wings.

Many strong finishes in a month with some tricky questions - here are the final top ten:
Code:
[font=courier new]
DECEMBER 2007 LEADER BOARD:
1.  Tom Mascioli            52
2.  Kevin Cameron           47
    Bryan McCready          47
4.  Mark Calandra           42
5.  Pete Hibbard            39
6.  Kevin Belobaba          37
    Roger Maynard           37
8.  Chris Polehoykie        22
9.  Ellis Kenkim            19
10. Simon Jean              15[/font]

And...January officially starts on the trivia calendar! These should be somewhat accessible, so have fun and give 'er a shot!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK THIRTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 01/12/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: With the Winter Classic being held on New Year's Day in Buffalo, there have now been three major outdoor stadium ice hockey contests in North America. Interestingly, each starter from Tuesday's game has appeared in a previous game of this type - who are they?

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Following in the footsteps of Chris Levesque, this CIAU goaltender recently sat on a National Hockey League bench as an emergency backup. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the first goaltender in National Hockey League history to make his league debut on non-North American soil.

year12week13.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
A fun week of hockey, to be sure - despite the fact that my home computer was in the shop most of the week. I made some excellent progress on the statistical database I've been working on (about as much fun as it sounds to do, but will definitely be worthwhile when it comes to keeping the page updated).

I'm also going to revive the 1984-85 game log project soon - this was at the point where I was stuck with logical inconsistencies (win totals not adding up, not being able to figure out about empty net goals, and things like that). So I'll be looking for your help soon!

Let's get to last week's answers, because I got more than a bit wordy with some of the explanations. Mea culpa!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.13:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: With the Winter Classic being held on New Year's Day in Buffalo, there have now been three major outdoor stadium ice hockey contests in North America. Interestingly, each starter from Tuesday's game has appeared in a previous game of this type - who are they?
CORRECT ANSWER: On October 6, 2001, Michigan State University's Ryan Miller squared off against the University of Michigan (and goaltender Josh Blackburn) in a 3-3 draw at MSU's Spartan Stadium in the "Cold War". On November 22, 2003, Ty Conklin and the Edmonton Oilers fell to the Montreal Canadiens (and Jose Theodore) in the "Heritage Classic" at Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium.

(Note that I missed an outdoor game - the February 11, 2006 game at Lambeau Field between Ohio State University and the University of Wisconsin.)

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Following in the footsteps of Chris Levesque, this CIAU goaltender recently sat on a National Hockey League bench as an emergency backup. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: With starter Dwayne Roloson suffering from the flu, the Edmonton Oilers did not have time to recall a goaltender from any of their minor-league affiliates in time for their December 21, 2007 game against New Jersey. Enter former WHL netminder Aaron Sorochan, whom the club hastily signed to an amateur tryout contract. Mathieu Garon played the entire game for the Oilers, who lost by a 3-1 margin to the Devils.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the first goaltender in National Hockey League history to make his league debut on non-North American soil.
CORRECT ANSWER: At the 02 Arena in London, nineteen-year-old Los Angeles netminder Jonathan Bernier earned the start after making the team's roster. The following night, Jonas Hiller made his first league start for the Anaheim Ducks. Both won their debut matches.

year12week13.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Late in his career with the Edmonton Oilers, this is longtime Winnipeg goaltender Bob Essensa. Essensa finished third in 1992 Vezina Trophy balloting, compiling a 173-176-47 record over his twelve-year National Hockey League career.

Some good high scores this week, and five people tied for the January lead!

Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]JANUARY 2008 LEADER BOARD:[/B]
1. Mark Calandra           15
6. Kevin Belobaba          10
   Terry Lashyn            10
   Spitfirez               10
9. Bill Clare              7
   Ken Ellis               7
   Sensman93               7[/font]

Some fun answers this week - thanks again to Jon Kark for suggesting the five-pointer from two weeks ago, which helped uncover this week's five-pointer as well. I'm always looking for suggestions!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK FOURTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 01/19/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This IIHF World Junior Hockey championship-winning goaltender was recently recalled to his National Hockey League club on an emergency basis. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: The greatest goalscorer in the history of the National Hockey League, Wayne Gretzky only scored on one penalty shot in his illustrious career. Which goaltender did he victimize?

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: A few weeks ago, I brought forth a question involving Washington centre David Steckel, who scored his first three National Hockey League goals in three different games against three different goaltenders (all from the same franchise). Well, Edmonton forward Raimo Summonen also scored his first three NHL goals against three different goaltenders from the same franchise - but he did it over the course of just two games! Name the goaltenders involved.

year12week14.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I'm a big Marek Schwarz fan - probably bigger than I should be, although I think he'll be a good one some day. Something I noticed last night - he has appeared in four National Hockey League games, two each against Chicago and Colorado. In those four games, he has faced four different starters - Lalime and Khabibulin for Chicago, and Theodore and Budaj for Colorado. Maybe it's a neat thing to know, but even if it's not, it's too late now!

Just an advance warning - due to work committments, there will be no trivia on February 3rd. So if you're the type to plan your schedule weeks in advance for trivia, there we are.

Let's get to last week's answers!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.14:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This IIHF World Junior Hockey championship winning goaltender was recently recalled to his National Hockey League club on an emergency basis. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Steve Mason, who certainly had a busy holiday season. During the tournament, he was traded by his junior club, and then recalled to the Columbus Blue Jackets. He backed up Fredrik Norrena on January 8 before being returned to Kitchener.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: The greatest goalscorer in the history of the National Hockey League, Wayne Gretzky only scored one penalty shot in his illustrious career. Which goaltender did he victimize?
CORRECT ANSWER: On January 13, 1983, the Great One beat Richard Brodeur of the Vancouver Canucks. I should have specified "regular season" in the phrasing of the question, because Don Beaupre allowed a playoff penalty shot goal to Gretzky on April 28, 1984.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: A few weeks ago, I brought forth a question involving Washington centre David Steckel, who scored his first three National Hockey League goals in three different games against three different goaltenders (all from the same franchise). Well, Edmonton forward Raimo Summanen also scored his first three NHL goals against three different goaltenders from the same franchise - but he did it over the course of just two games! Name the goaltenders involved.
CORRECT ANSWER: Between March 31, 1984 and October 20, 1985, Los Angeles netminders Markus Mattsson, Bob Janecyk and Darren Eliot allowed one goal apiece to Summanen. The goals came so far apart that Mattsson was never on the same roster as either Janecyk or Eliot, but Summanen did score thirty-three more goals (and two playoff goals) over his career.

year12week14.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Tobias Stephan, in a Dallas preseason contest against the Atlanta Thrashers. Currently with the AHL Iowa Stars, the Swiss-born Stephan turns twenty-four years old tomorrow.

Five folks with perfect scores after two weeks - it's shaping up to be a real battle!

Code:
[font=courier new]
JANUARY 2008 LEADER BOARD:
1. Mark Calandra           30
   Kevin Cameron           30
   Bryan McCready          30
6. Pete Hibbard            25
   Spitfirez               25
8. Kevin Belobaba          20
9. Ken Ellis               17
   Terry Lashyn            17[/font]

Oddly enough, I stumbled upon all three of these question ideas while doing other things this week. I'm not sure if that's a hint or not, but there we are.

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK FIFTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 01/26/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Recently, this goaltender set a National Hockey League record for the most saves in a single shootout without allowing a goal. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who holds the National Hockey League record for the longest shutout streak to begin a career.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Evgeni Nabokov started the first forty-three games of his team's 2007-08 National Hockey League games before giving way to Thomas Greiss on January 13. Name the most recent goaltender to hold a longer starting streak to begin a season.

year12week15.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
So when Washington's Olaf Kolzig stopped twelve shots in a shootout victory over the Edmonton Oilers earlier in the month, I said to myself, "Hey, this will be a good easy question!" The only problem was that the question I chose wasn't one in which Kolzig was the answer, because Kolzig's performace - although excellent - wasn't a league record.

I compounded the error by saying "recently" - had I not said that, I could have covered myself later. I thought about claiming that, since shootouts have only been in the league for three seasons, that "recently" could be technically correct, but hopefully you trust my integrity more than that. For a goaltender, we'll consider that the equivalent of a dump-in going off of the stanchion and into the vacated net. Mea culpa!

Sitting here watching the NHL Network prior to the All-Star Game, and I love that the Ryan Miller - Jean-Sebastien Aubin "yo momma" commercial is in heavy rotation. It's a clever ad. I managed to work one of my favourite All-Star Game photos into the trivia this week - and it may be the trickiest question of the week!

Just a reminder that Goaltender Trivia is taking a holiday next Sunday due to work commitments. Back when I was an undergraduate - or even while in grad school - this was much easier to work around, but I'm doing what I can!

Let's get to the answers...

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.15:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Recently, this goaltender set a National Hockey League record for the most saves in a single shootout without allowing a goal. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Well, the question was a bit misleading, but that's because I botched this one myself. The record holder is the New York Rangers' Henrik Lundqvist, who stopped all of thirteen Philadephia shots on October 7, 2006. Lundqvist was also the winning goaltender in the longest shootout in league history.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who holds the National Hockey League record for the longest shutout streak to begin a career.
CORRECT ANSWER: The Detroit Red Wings' Dave Gatherum stepped in for an injured Terry Sawchuk in October of 1953, going 2-0-1 in three games and not allowing a goal over the first 100 minutes, 21 seconds of his career. Somewhat surprisingly, those were the only three games of his NHL career.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Evgeni Nabokov started the first forty-three games of his team's 2007-08 National Hockey League games before giving way to Thomas Greiss on January 13. Name the most recent goaltender to hold a longer starting streak to begin a season.
CORRECT ANSWER: In 1996-97, Grant Fuhr started the first seventy-six regular season games for the St. Louis Blues, until a knee injury sidelined late in the year. Jon Casey finally stepped in to start for the club on April 3.

year12week15.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: A young Pete Peeters with the Philadelphia Flyers. Peeters later played for Boston and Washington before finishing his big-league career back in Philadelphia.

Mark and Bryan came the closest to perfection in a week with some weird questions - can they hold on for the final week?

Code:
[font=courier new]
1. Mark Calandra           43
   Bryan McCready          43
3. Tom Mascioli            40
   Roger Maynard           40
5. Kevin Cameron           37
6. Pete Hibbard            35
7. Kevin Belobaba          25
   Spitfirez               25
9. Ken Ellis               22
   Terry Lashyn            22[/font]

One more reminder that you have two weeks on this "week's" trivia. So take your time and enjoy!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK SIXTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 02/09/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender was the first Polish-born player ever drafted by a National Hockey League franchise. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: When asked what the highlight of his Hall-of-Fame career had been, this goaltender chose the 1978 World Championships in Prague. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: As the nature of the position lends itself to intense study of the sport, many goaltenders become hockey coaches after their playing career has ended. Name the first National Hockey League goaltender to become a head coach in the league.

year12week16.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Congratulations to Roger Maynard, who finished atop the January 2008 trivia standings after the dust settled! This is his second title of the season, and the eighth of his career.

The obvious question you could be asking is - where has Doug been? And the obvious answer? Peru, of course! Here's proof:

mp.jpg

That's Machu Picchu in the background - it's amazing the people you meet in places like this. During our journey, we came across a rabid Canucks fan from Vancouver named Mike Baker, who is working on a coffeetable book about the Stanley Cup in remote locations. I'm not sure when the publication date is expected to be, but keep your eye out!

The rest of the trip was phenomenal; our tour was guided by Trek Peru, and it could not have been smoother. We explored Machu Picchu, climbed Waynapicchu (the mountain in the background of that photo), visited Ollantaytambo, Pisac, Cusco, Aguas Calientes and Lima among other places. If you ever get the opportunity, you should definitel go - and I'll put in another plug for Trek Peru. More photos on my MySpace and Facebook pages!

Anyhow, hopefully we're back to a regular schedule at this point.

I feel bad that Jean-Sebastien Aubin was sent to the minors because he lost that "yo momma" competition with Ryan Miller...let's get to last month's answers!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.16:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender was the first Polish-born player ever drafted by a National Hockey League franchise. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Selected 91st overall in the 1981 entry draft by the Washington Capitals, Peter Sidorkiewicz might be best known as the last line of defense for the moribund 1992-93 Ottawa expansion club. Despite losing forty-six times, Sidorkiewicz was the lone Senator all-star that year.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: When asked what the highlight of his Hall-of-Fame career had been, this goaltender chose the 1978 World Championships in Prague. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Vladislav Tretiak, who also won three Olympic gold medals (and one silver) with the powerhouse Soviet Union squads in the 1970s and 1980s. Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame without ever playing in the NHL, many say that Tretiak retired at the young age of thirty-two due to his country's refusal to allow him to play in the league.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: As the nature of the position lends itself to intense study of the sport, many goaltenders become hockey coaches after their playing career has ended. Name the first National Hockey League goaltender to become a head coach in the league.
CORRECT ANSWER: Chicago's Hugh Lehman made the transition from goaltender to coach during the 1927-28 season. Lehman led the club to a 3-17-1 mark and was dismissed at year's end. Lehman was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1958.

year12week16.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Mario Lessard of the Kings was in goal for the Wales Conference All-Stars on February 10, 1981, in his club's home city of Los Angeles. In this game, it was the other goaltender - Mike Liut - who stole the show with 32 saves (in half of a game) in a 4-1 Campbell Conference win.

As I mentioned above, it took a few more weeks for all of the votes to be tallied, but Roger Maynard ekes out the win in January. Congratulations! This might also be the first time that there are no ties at all in the top ten.
Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Roger Maynard           55
2.  Bryan McCready          53
3.  Tom Mascioli            50
4.  Mark Calandra           48
5.  Kevin Cameron           47
6.  Pete Hibbard            45
7.  Kevin Belobaba          40
8.  Ken Ellis               29
9.  Terry Lashyn            27
10. Spitfirez               25[/font]

Only one week for this week's trivia. But I will be combining February and March into one supermonth - it was either that, or have a very short February competition. But here we go!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK SEVENTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 02/23/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: In the past twenty years, name the only American-born winner of the Vezina Trophy, awarded to the National Hockey League's top goaltender.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Sweater #1 is traditionally worn by the netminder in ice hockey, although that was not always the case. Name the last non-goaltender to wear sweater #1 in a National Hockey League contest.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Two men share the National Hockey League record for scoring a pair of goals in the span of just four seconds' time. Name the goaltenders victimized.

year12week17.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
One problem with leaving town for a week-plus; I'm finally caught up with all of the NHL and AHL game logs for this season. Now I can finally get back to my other side projects for the page - the 1984-85 game logs, and the statistical database.

Eventually I'll be reformatting all of the statistics on the site, which should also make the summer updating much easier (consequently allowing me time to do further research. Good times!

Let's get to the answers from last week!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.17:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: In the past twenty years, name the only American-born winner of the Vezina Trophy, awarded to the National Hockey League's top goaltender.
CORRECT ANSWER: Continuing an incredible two-year run of success, Washington's Jim Carey narrowly won the 1996 Vezina Trophy in a narrow margin over Detroit's Chris Osgood.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Sweater #1 is traditionally by the netminder in ice hockey, although that was not always the case. Name the last non-goaltender to wear sweater #1 in a National Hockey League contest.
CORRECT ANSWER: From 1936 through 1939, Montreal's Babe Siebert wore sweater number one with the Canadiens, winning the Hart Trophy in his first season with the club. Siebert was named coach of the club in 1939, but died in an accident on Lake Huron before he was able to coach the team.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Two men share the National Hockey League record for scoring a pair of goals in the span of just four seconds' time. Name the goaltenders victimized.
CORRECT ANSWER: Nels Stewart beat Cecil Thompson twice on January 3, 1931, while Deron Quint beat Joaquin Gage twice on December 15, 1995. Gage is currently with the Val Pusteria Wolves in the Italian league, while Quint is also in Europe with the Berlin Polar Bears.

year12week17.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Doug Soetaert had two bookend stints as goaltender of the New York Rangers, winning the Stanley Cup with the 1986 Montreal Canadiens in between (although he did not appear in the 1986 playoffs). Soetaert is currently the vice-president and general manager of the WHL's Everett Silvertips.

Five folks share the lead this week - but there's a strong field all near the top. And since we're combining February and March this season, it should give everyone a chance to battle for a bit.

Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]FEBRUARY/MARCH 2008 LEADER BOARD:[/B]
1. Kevin Belobaba          15
   Bryan McCready          15
6. Mark Calandra           12
   Tom Mascioli            12
8. Jeffery Diamond         10
   Danny Whittaker         10
   Tom Reynolds            10[/font]

Some interesting questions this week - including a five-pointer that was trickier to figure out than I initially thought it would be.

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK SEVENTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 03/01/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Recently, this Calgary Flames goaltender not only set his club's record for shutouts in a single regular season, he doubled the previous mark. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who was the first player selected in the 1967 National Hockey League expansion draft.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender was the first hockey player to appear on the cover of TIME magazine. Name him.

year12week18.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
What I love about Denver - 72 degrees yesterday (Fahrenheit) and today, wind and snow!

Some good news first - the 1984-85 National Hockey League goaltender game logs are done and on the site - with two exceptions which I will list below. Hopefully you enjoy them.

This season marks the debut of Chris Clifford, Cleon Daskalakis, Darren Eliot, Darren Jensen, Hannu Kamppuri, Darren Pang, Daryl Reaugh, Patrick Roy, and Mike Sands, Don Sylvestri and Mike Zanier. It also marks the final seasons for Marco Baron, Michel Dion, Brian Ford, John Garrett, Rick Heinz, Hannu Kamppuri, Ron Low, Rick St. Croix, Ed Staniowski, Don Sylvestri and Mike Zanier.

If anyone can prove that Corrado Micalef played in Detroit's game at Washington on December 9, 1984, please let me know.

And...I have Dan Bouchard with 30 games played and a W/L/T record of 12-14-4. I also have Mario Gosselin with 35 games played and a W/L/T record of 19-10-3. Both of these records match the end-of-season totals from the Toronto Star.

However, the official sources of today list Bouchard with one fewer game played, and give one of his losses to Gosselin. Can anyone explain what happened?

These are the fourteen losses I currently have assigned to Bouchard:
10/19 at Buffalo
10/23 vs. Montreal
10/27 vs. NY Rangers
11/10 vs. Hartford
11/13 vs. Los Angeles
11/27 vs. Washington (Gosselin also played)
12/18 vs. Washington
12/27 vs. Montreal
1/8 vs. Edmonton
1/27 at Buffalo
2/2 at Detroit (Gosselin also played)
2/14 at Philadelphia
3/8 at Winnipeg
4/6 at Hartford

Which one was later given to Gosselin? Any help from those smarter and/or with more resources than I would be greatly appreciated.

I've taken enough of your time now, so let's get to the answers...

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #12.18:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Recently, this Calgary Flames goaltender not only set his club's record for shutouts in a single regular season, he doubled the previous mark. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: In 2005-06, Miikka Kiprusoff recorded ten shutouts for the Flames, five more than the old mark held by Fred Brathwaite. Brathwaite had five shutouts in each of his two full seasons in Calgary.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who was the first player selected in the 1967 National Hockey League expansion draft.
CORRECT ANSWER: Toronto's Terry Sawchuk was selected first overall by the Los Angeles Kings. Sawchuk played one year in Los Angeles before being dealt to Detroit (his third tour of duty with the Red Wings).

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender was the first hockey player to appear on the cover of TIME magazine. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: On February 11, 1935, Chicago's Lorne Chabot made the cover (see link below). Some sources incorrectly list New York's Dave Kerr as the first, but the proof is in the picture, so to speak!

http://www.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,19350211,00.html

year12week18.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Bill Ranford played two seasons in the mid-1990s with the Boston Bruins, his original team, after a long run with Edmonton.

Kevin Cameron and Pete Hibbard share the lead as the combined month gets into full swing - but there are a lot of folks near the top and some tricky questions coming up!
Code:
[font=courier new]
FEBRUARY/MARCH 2008 LEADER BOARD:
1.  Kevin Cameron           30
    Pete Hibbard            30
3.  Mark Calandra           27
    Tom Mascioli            27
5.  Kevin Belobaba          25
    Jeffery Diamond         25
    Roger Maynard           25
    Bryan McCready          25
9.  Ken Ellis               18
10. Terry Lashyn            15[/font]

I stumbled across the three-pointer this week, and the picture turned out better than I thought it would (scanners being what they are).

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR TWELVE WEEK NINETEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 03/08/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the National Hockey League goaltender who recently moved into fourth place on the league's all-time regular season win list.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Earlier this season, this goaltender set a record (since tied) in becoming the lowest draft pick ever to later play in the National Hockey League. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In the last National Hockey League instance of a goaltender crossing the centre red line (legally) in an attempt to score, this netminder was rocked by a Jean-Claude Tremblay bodycheck. Name him.

year12week19.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad