Confirmed with Link: Goalie Patrik Rybar signed to 1 year deal

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't disagree with what you're saying. But if we are being fair, there were more than just two guys that signed in Detroit (i.e. Hatcher, Krupp) for big money who had a lot of cache (at the time). But overall, I agree with the point you're making

Kinda lousy that both times the Wings went out and splurged on a the top D on the free agent market that injuries effectively ended their effectiveness within the first season of their deals. Yeah, Hatcher came back and played for Philly for awhile, but he wasn't nearly the same guy after his knee blew up. Rafalski worked out better, but even his career ended early because of injuries.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Wouldn't be surprised to see Larsson signed and plopped into a backup position in GR. Fulcher hasn't impressed so its my understanding he'll stay in Toledo for at least one more season. Gives Rybar the starter role next year, Larsson with some reps, and Fulcher with more time. Rybar looks good though, he'll get some games next year... ESPECIALLY if Howard doesn't resign.

I don't know man. How many College goalies have been able to perform at AHL-level right away? Most of them join ECHL teams and yet still fail to put up useful numbers. If van Pottelberghe is ready for Camp next season I'd go with him. One year older, higher drafted and with quite a bit of pro experience under his belt.

Lovonov

Jun 7, 2018
I don't know man. How many College goalies have been able to perform at AHL-level right away? Most of them join ECHL teams and yet still fail to put up useful numbers. If van Pottelberghe is ready for Camp next season I'd go with him. One year older, higher drafted and with quite a bit of pro experience under his belt.

Seeing a guy like Korenar flourish in the AHL makes me think the wings will expedite the process for Larsson (out of selfishness for the franchise). It would easily be the safest decision to keep him one more year (granted he puts up above average numbers).

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Seeing a guy like Korenar flourish in the AHL makes me think the wings will expedite the process for Larsson (out of selfishness for the franchise). It would easily be the safest decision to keep him one more year (granted he puts up above average numbers).

Like I said. I think van Pottelberghe would be a better choice. I'm no expert but I don't think many college goalies have performed in the AHL the season after. Larsson has zero pro experience and is younger than van Pottelberghe, too.

Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
This is where sometimes I get frustrated as a fan. Red Wings took a flier and are developing a pretty good looking goalie here in Rybar.

He deserves another contract, along with a shot as the back up jobs behind Bernier imo. He's played that good. Most nights when he's in net he's the best player on the ice for Grand Rapids. I mean he dominated the league he was in last year, has outplayed a veteran goalie in Satari this year, too only earn the chance as the starter of the Griffins?

No way, he'll sign somewhere else with a chance to back up someone vs signing here. He's 25 or 26 already, his time is like, right now. At some point Red Wings need to reward players for playing well in the AHL instead of stalling out their careers there by keeping them down an extra season or two.

Last edited:

Lovonov

Jun 7, 2018
Like I said. I think van Pottelberghe would be a better choice. I'm no expert but I don't think many college goalies have performed in the AHL the season after. Larsson has zero pro experience and is younger than van Pottelberghe, too.

You're right. He's higher on the totem pole. Glad to see hes put up some good numbers in the NLB.

I still think Rybar is a dark horse candidate for a longer future with the Wings.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

I would roll with Pottelberghe mostly cause we've got some-time with Larsson vs Pottleberghe to figure things out. I'd let Larsson earn a degree before thinking about pulling him to the AHL or ECHL. Pottleberghe could use a year to transition to North America before trying to be vaulted in as a Red Wings back up option, imo.

*I'd be seriously considering cutting ties at this point with Kaden Fulcher. He's just not improved or shown signs of growth now for multiple season's.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You're right. He's higher on the totem pole. Glad to see hes put up some good numbers in the NLB.

I still think Rybar is a dark horse candidate for a longer future with the Wings.

Him and Senn actually played well for Davos, too...the team in front of them was a total mess.

And yeah. Hearing only good things about Rybar. Should at least give him a look at some point.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This is where sometimes I get frustrated as a fan. Red Wings took a flier and are developing a pretty good looking goalie here in Rybar.

He deserves another contract, along with a shot as the back up jobs behind Bernier imo. He's played that good. Most nights when he's in net he's the best player on the ice for Grand Rapids. I mean he dominated the league he was in last year, has outplayed a veteran goalie in Satari this year, too only earn the chance as the starter of the Griffins?

No way, he'll sign somewhere else with a chance to back up someone vs signing here. He's 25 or 26 already, his time is like, right now. At some point Red Wings need to reward players for playing well in the AHL instead of stalling out their careers there by keeping them their an extra season or two.

I think Bernier might be a problem here. If he had came in and been a 1B with Howard, putting in a solid season, that would be one thing. Guy hasn't come close to even his career averages, though. And his worst play has come against the Eastern conference as a whole, and our division in particular. I'm doubting the Wings want to walk into next season with a guy playing like Bernier did this year and another guy who hasn't seen a lick of NHL action.

I'm not saying Rybar doesn't deserve his shot, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did go somewhere else if he felt like he would get it. Or maybe the Wings just give him a massive guaranteed deal to make playing in GR for a bit longer more palatable. But I bet the Wings are going to look for a legit starter before worrying whoever will be the backup.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm sure that's the Red Wings stance as of right now too. They want a starter but signing Jimmy Howard clearly puts up a log-jam for any younger goalies rising through the ranks. It's typical Red Wings imo. There isn't a reason to give Howard a fat contract to come on and be a top 10 pick again. He's not "fixing" anything and at this point, Red Wings need to give one of there own guys through the Ranks a real shot for once imo. I mean what are Red Wings doing throwing out Abdelkader vs giving a younger guy like Matt Puempel a shot at growth in the NHL. What more does he need to prove in the AHL, not that I even think he's a great player but really whats the point with Abb's/Helm right now, Can't Matt Puempel turn into one of these players or more at 25? They've given Martin Frk plenty of time for some reason.

Or... They need to move Bernier for whatever draft night. That's looking like a wiser move. Collect a couple low round picks and just basically dump/move on from him. Settle up with Howard and let Rybar back up for the season seeing what we have in him.

Last edited:

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'm sure that's the Red Wings stance as of right now too. They want a starter but signing Jimmy Howard clearly puts up a log-jam for any younger goalies rising through the ranks. It's typical Red Wings imo. There isn't a reason to give Howard a fat contract to come on and be a top 10 pick again. He's not "fixing" anything and at this point, Red Wings need to give one of there own guys through the Ranks a real shot for once imo. I mean what are Red Wings doing throwing out Abdelkader vs giving a younger guy like Matt Puempel a shot at growth in the NHL. What more does he need to prove in the AHL, not that I even think he's a great player but really whats the point with Abb's/Helm right now, Can't Matt Puempel turn into one of these players or more at 25? They've given Martin Frk plenty of time for some reason.

Or... They need to move Bernier for whatever draft night. That's looking like a wiser move. Collect a couple low round picks and just basically dump/move on from him. Settle up with Howard and let Rybar back up for the season seeing what we have in him.
Agree with the last paragraph and the sentiment, but they can't just get rid of Helm and Abdelkader. Also Puempel and Frk don't fill a 4th line role, and Frk has had plenty of opportunity to prove himself at the NHL level.

Reactions: Hinterland

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I'm not really seeing anyone being blocked that legitimately deserves a chance. Counting Zadina and Rasmussen, we only have twelve forwards signed for next year. that leaves a spot for Svechnikov. A spot for another guy. And that number includes De La Rose and Ehn, both guys that could easily either sit in the pressbox extra forwards, or be pushed to GR without any serious repercussion.

At goalie, I agree, I'd look at moving on from Bernier, especially if the Wings like Rybar. At the same time, the goalies the Wings are likely looking at as the real next wave are Fulcher, Petruzelli (sp?), and Larsson, and all of those guys are at least a couple of years away. Re-signing Howard and keeping Bernier isn't likely to affect them.

Factor in the likelihood of injuries and what not, and I don't really worry about guys like Puempel, Smith, etc. getting a look at some point.

Reactions: NickH8

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
No I agree about the FRK thing. He's had plenty of time but then we don't give a guy like Puempel shot because Abdelkader or Helm are signed and are "perfect"fourth liners? Both guys can be healthy scratches for the remainder 15 imo. Prolly better for their bodies anyways.

Also, Wingers right that there isn't REALLY anyone else right now that's being blocked that's terrible important. I can't get too upset at our present situation really but it does annoy me that we seemingly aren't even going to give chances/reward guys going through our ranks.

Reactions: Winger98

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Agree with the last paragraph and the sentiment, but they can't just get rid of Helm and Abdelkader. Also Puempel and Frk don't fill a 4th line role, and Frk has had plenty of opportunity to prove himself at the NHL level.

I mean yeah I understand they can't get ride of Helm or Abbs but for the remainder of the season they can healthy scratch them and let someone like Puempel play the remainder 15. That's all my point was, hell even Christopher Ehn like someone mentioned. Someone young.

I also agree with FRK, my point on him was that for some reason they gave him a good oppertunitty and aren't going to give Puempel really a fair shot in two years. Just weird outside looking in, they have to know more I guess. To ME, it's looking like someone wanted to be right on their draft pick vs a minor league player swap. Could be wrong though, they're around these guys more.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I mean yeah I understand they can't get ride of Helm or Abbs but for the remainder of the season they can healthy scratch them and let someone like Puempel play the remainder 15. That's all my point was, hell even Christopher Ehn like someone mentioned. Someone young.

I also agree with FRK, my point on him was that for some reason they gave him a good oppertunitty and aren't going to give Puempel really a fair shot in two years. Just weird outside looking in, they have to know more I guess. To ME, it's looking like someone wanted to be right on their draft pick vs a minor league player swap. Could be wrong though, they're around these guys more.
Puepel can only come up in an emergency. DRW's cannot just sit anyone now. EDIT: Wings have 2 call-ups

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuggs

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Are there moves remaining in the season for Rybar to get 1-3 NHL games this year? Or would that be a gamble for his confidence for what the Wings management want for a playoff run for GR

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well, at this point it would make sense to keep Howard on a 2-3 year deal. All goalies in the system are at least those 2-3 years away from being good enough to be a starter in the NHL and goalies are always wildcards anyway.

Having said that, it doesn't make sense for the Wings to go into next season with an aging backup who can't even save 90% of the shots he's facing. Bernier and Sateri (who's UFA anyway) should be goners.

While I'd prefer to have a real starter I wouldn't pay a premium to acquire one at this point. It would make much more sense to sign some promising guys in FA:

Here are my ideal goalie duo's for next season:
Howard/Stolarz
Rybar/van Pottelberghe

If Howard doesn't stay:
Stolarz/Rybar
Mazanec/van Pottelberghe

If van Pottelberghe isn't ready for camp:
Howard/Stolarz
Rybar/Mazanec

I like big right catching goalies and Stolarz, for me, still has NHL starter potential. He put up some real dominant performances in the NHL already...he just has to stay healthy to do it on a regular basis. Mazanec should be good enough to be an NHL backup I think and probably would be willing to sign a two way deal.

Stolarz/Rybar wouldn't be quite a risk but I don't think the Wings should give up anything significant to get a goalie in the middle of a rebuild. Worst case you have to claim/trade for someone in season.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah I get where your going with that post above an I even agree. It's good insurance policy if your not confident in Rybar or anyone in the system, but, I personally think Rybar is better than Stolarz right now. Stolarz size/positioning were starting to get exposed at the AHL level.

Which is why I'm having a hard time, "buying", or thinking we're going to give a contract to someone outside of Howard. If anything I'm trying to make room for our guy cause he's prolly better than our veteran back-up right now too. "Winger" was spot on when he suggested move Jonathan Bernier, it's the best move for the rebuild... He too provides essentially nothing, less than Howard even cause games can't seem to remain competitive.

We,(Red Wings) haven't had a guy in the system for years, and to me, we LUCKED OUT by signing him and him flourishing in the AHL. What more does a 25 year old goalie need to prove, He's been good for 4 years now in 3 different leagues. It's starting to not be an accident he's posting good numbers/looks good all the time.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah I get where your going with that post above an I even agree. It's good insurance policy if your not confident in Rybar or anyone in the system, but, I personally think Rybar is better than Stolarz right now. Stolarz size/positioning were starting to get exposed at the AHL level.

Which is why I'm having a hard time, "buying", or thinking we're going to give a contract to someone outside of Howard. If anything I'm trying to make room for our guy cause he's prolly better than our veteran back-up right now too. "Winger" was spot on when he suggested move Jonathan Bernier, it's the best move for the rebuild... He too provides essentially nothing, less than Howard even cause games can't seem to remain competitive.

We,(Red Wings) haven't had a guy in the system for years, and to me, we LUCKED OUT by signing him and him flourishing in the AHL. What more does a 25 year old goalie need to prove, He's been good for 4 years now in 3 different leagues. It's starting to not be an accident he's posting good numbers/looks good all the time.

Bit of a weird theory you got here. Don't think Stolarz played enough for anybody to figure him out. He's been injured pretty much all the time. He also never relied on his positioning much. He's so big that he doesn't need to. He's also moving very well for his size and has a brilliant technique.
He's already played some NHL-games and did very well. He's also one of the most talented goalies and UFA while Rybar is RFA. There's no urgency to give Rybar an NHL gig now. He played just one season and with a cheap goalie like Stolarz in front of him he can get called up anytime. Also, with Howard/Stolarz both injury prone, Rybar would see NHL action anyway.

Unless they really wanna keep Sateri and Bernier, they need a guy even if Howard stays. Rybar is pretty much the only lock for next season. van Pottelberghe is injured, Sateri and Howard are UFA's and Bernier can't stop a beachball.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Bit of a weird theory you got here. Don't think Stolarz played enough for anybody to figure him out. He's been injured pretty much all the time. He also never relied on his positioning much. He's so big that he doesn't need to. He's also moving very well for his size and has a brilliant technique.
He's already played some NHL-games and did very well. He's also one of the most talented goalies and UFA while Rybar is RFA. There's no urgency to give Rybar an NHL gig now. He played just one season and with a cheap goalie like Stolarz in front of him he can get called up anytime. Also, with Howard/Stolarz both injury prone, Rybar would see NHL action anyway.

Unless they really wanna keep Sateri and Bernier, they need a guy even if Howard stays. Rybar is pretty much the only lock for next season. van Pottelberghe is injured, Sateri and Howard are UFA's and Bernier can't stop a beachball.

He's played in the AHL for three years prior to being hurt all last season basically so. There is that. An he wasn't very good with the Flyers so.

Agree to disagree with you sir, Idk what you see in him.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I like Fulcher. He had a great PO run with a less than par OHL team last year. He had a great camp and for the 1st half of this year did pretty well with the Walleye albeit the 2nd half not as good - and he is only 20.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He's played in the AHL for three years prior to being hurt all last season basically so. There is that. An he wasn't very good with the Flyers so.

Agree to disagree with you sir, Idk what you see in him.

The Phantoms were never a good team and his stats are good. Also, he was injured not just once but pretty much every season. Furthermore, goalies don't get drafted this high for no reason. Whether they work out or not is a different story but it's pretty easy to see his upside.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
The Phantoms were never a good team and his stats are good. Also, he was injured not just once but pretty much every season. Furthermore, goalies don't get drafted this high for no reason. Whether they work out or not is a different story but it's pretty easy to see his upside.

Like I said, agree to disagree with you're stance. He's no Ben Bishop just cause he's big.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I like Fulcher. He had a great PO run with a less than par OHL team last year. He had a great camp and for the 1st half of this year did pretty well with the Walleye albeit the 2nd half not as good - and he is only 20.

I really hope it's a nagging injury or something this year but I just haven't liked Fulcher. He is only 20, he's blessed with some-time, maybe an over-reaction to be "done" with him, but gosh, he makes me shake my head right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad