Goalie Interference

Should the goal have counted?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Yet again, that point is utterly irrelevant.

That 1-0 goal changed (arguably decided) the game as strategies immediately changed for the remainder of the game.

Hockey games don’t hinge on any one points.

Besides, what you are asking the league to do is overturn a call on the ice with no evidence.

That’s the standard you want them to follow??

That is ust dumb.

boredguy

Sep 24, 2007
When refs and the league clearly don't have a solid grasp on what's GI i find it funny that anyone else can argue that this definitely is or isn't GI. League needs to rewrite the rules and start calling it consistently.

Reactions: smack66

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Naw

In Bawston ... this is your friggin’ crease Jack

dmbdrk.jpg

Mmmmmm....if the goalie is inside his specially demarcated area, does any contact occur?

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I had a pretty hard time with this one. Rask is positioned so half his body is outside the crease and Hyman or whoever that was backs into Rask startling him before the shot comes. Really depends what you emphasize here I guess. Does the rule stipulate that the goalie would have to be completely in his crease for the goal to be disallowed on incidental contact prior to a goal? I'd think that the only conclusive way you could disallow is if he was entirely in the crease when he was bumped, which he was not. I'd lean towards this being a good goal. The outcome of the game shouldn't have changed regardless if it were disallowed, so in the end it didn't matter as Boston's only goal scored was easily offside from the pictures I've seen.

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
Citing this play as evidence of what the league deems a permissible goal, I'm even more incensed by the goal that was waived off in game two of the SJS-LVVGK series. I realize a different reason was cited, but to watch the play and accept the outcome, let alone the explanation given, is complete BS.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Citing this play as evidence of what the league deems a permissible goal, I'm even more incensed by the goal that was waived off in game two of the SJS-LVVGK series. I realize a different reason was cited, but to watch the play and accept the outcome, let alone the explanation given, is complete BS.

No dog in that fight for me.

5fk6ki.png

The SJS goalie was in his crease at the point of contact. The VGK player’s contact seemed non-incidental... or at least his path to the puck through the goalie was.... and clearly interfered with the goalie’s ability to move freely.

I would have waved it off.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
As a Leaf fan that goal shouldn’t have counted. Rask wasn’t saving it either at but Hyman still made contact.

Reactions: goflyakite

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Prior to Matthews goal the Bruins had the first three power plays and could not score a goal. So stop with the excuses.

As someone who wants the Leafs to lose, the Bruins can't complain too much. Both teams were playing coin flip hockey (e.g. playing not to lose). And when you play coin flip hockey like that, something fluky will likely decide the match.

It also evened out. The goal they got at the end was offside too. There wasn't a great shot of it, but if you look at all of the shots in context, the puck wasn't fully over the line and there were guys in the zone.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
As a Leaf fan that goal shouldn’t have counted. Rask wasn’t saving it either at but Hyman still made contact.
As a leaf fan, I also agree.

I mean... it really isn't hard. Just imagine a Bruins player banging into Andersen like that in the same situation. Leaf fans would be screaming bloody murder just as loudly. Why is objectivity so bloody difficult for people?

Similarly, the Boston goal was offside.

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Goalie interference is too subjective. I'd rather discuss something more cut & dried, like offside.

I don't disagree that the Bruins goal was offside... but there wasn't anything subjective about what happened. He fell into Rask on his own. There was no contact from anyone else that caused him to fall back and therefore cause the kind of gray area that goalie interference usually has. This was pretty clear. I was watching on the CBC broadcast, since I get it where I live, and even they were pretty certain it was interference and they're about as biased as any local FSN crew.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
As someone who wants the Leafs to lose, the Bruins can't complain too much. Both teams were playing coin flip hockey (e.g. playing not to lose). And when you play coin flip hockey like that, something fluky will likely decide the match.

It also evened out. The goal they got at the end was offside too. There wasn't a great shot of it, but if you look at all of the shots in context, the puck wasn't fully over the line and there were guys in the zone.
Credit to @Cor for making a gif of the offside play when you see Marchand going into the Leafs zone before the puck crossed the blue line.

giphy.gif

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
As a leaf fan, I also agree.

I mean... it really isn't hard. Just imagine a Bruins player banging into Andersen like that in the same situation. Leaf fans would be screaming bloody murder just as loudly. Why is objectivity so bloody difficult for people?

Similarly, the Boston goal was offside.

I’d be pissed if that happened to Andersen. Makes me a little happier to see the Bruins goal offside. Glad to know it didn’t really change the final result.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Yet again, that point is utterly irrelevant.

That 1-0 goal changed (arguably decided) the game as strategies immediately changed for the remainder of the game.
And what if the Bruins scored on the phantom powerplay they were given in the first? That would have changed the "strategies for the remainder of the game", right?

Mistakes like these constantly happen. It sucks that they can shape the outcome of games sometimes. But they tend to balance over a best of 7 series.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
The funny thing here is if the situation was reversed here with the Bruins scoring on that first goal and the Leafs on that second goal then I have little doubt the exact same posters here on this thread would be taking the complete opposite position.

I think it is fair to say both teams benefited from a borderline call going their favor last night.

Zestfule

Jun 30, 2008
NH
Credit to @Cor for making a gif of the offside play when you see Marchand going into the Leafs zone before the puck crossed the blue line.

giphy.gif

I'm fairly certain it was offside and surprised it wasn't called back but this angle literally you cannot see the puck when Marchand goes over the line? What on Earth does this prove?

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
C'mon, it is the new rule this season(??). Unless nhl office in toronto has conclusive evidence that can overrule an on-ice call, the on-ice call will stand. In this case, it would have been no goal if it had been no goal. It was not, so we had a goal. Same as the Boston's goal:popcorn:

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
No dog in that fight for me.

The SJS goalie was in his crease at the point of contact. The VGK player’s contact seemed non-incidental... or at least his path to the puck through the goalie was.... and clearly interfered with the goalie’s ability to move freely.

I would have waved it off.

Sorry, game two was the play involving Couture and MAF. Thank you for confirming my bias.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm fairly certain it was offside and surprised it wasn't called back but this angle literally you cannot see the puck when Marchand goes over the line? What on Earth does this prove?

If you zoom in you can see the puck still on the line between the Leafs and Bruins player, and by that point Marchand is already in.

It’s pretty conclusion, but doesn’t matter at this point

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
You have to be pretty stupid not to see he did it on purpose and filmed too.

1. He crosschecks the defenseman, then gains the momentum from the cross check
2. He throws his head backwards making sure to make contact with the goalie
3. The goalie was not completely outside of the box

This is a great example of someone seeing what they want to see. The question about GI aside, there is no way you can call that intentional. He tried to push McAvoy to open up more space in front of the net and he stumbled.

Also, the goalie does not have to be completely outside the box. That is not and has never been the way the rule is called. It's the location of where the contact between the players occurs.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
The NHL blew the call and shortly after they knew it. They then blew the offside call to make up for it, but more damage had already been done as the Leafs had already scored again with the Bruins pressing to tie it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad