Speculation: Goalie Controversy

Who do you want to be the starter for game 1 in the playoffs?

• Georgiev

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Annunen

Votes: 71 82.6%

• Total voters

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I disagree with this, his final season in New York was horrendous. He was a sub .900 goalie and was 46% quality starts. He had 12 of 33 games (28 starts where he gave up 4+) or 36% of the time. If we go just off starts, 11 of 28 or 39% of the time. This year, in 25 games he gave up 4+ goals (63 games and 62 starts and all of those games were in starts). So that 25/63 is 39%. This is who he really is. The heaters last year hid who he really was.
I’ll be honest, I don’t know what most of those numbers mean so I have no counter argument lol.

What I do know is that he played like this more often than not throughout his career, he wouldn’t be in the league. In no world would a goalie that regularly performs the way he has these last few months stay an NHL regular. I’m not talking stats here, I’m meaning the way plays and the “consistency” of that play.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I’ll be honest, I don’t know what most of those numbers mean so I have no counter argument lol.

What I do know is that he played like this more often than not throughout his career, he wouldn’t be in the league. In no world would a goalie that regularly performs the way he has these last few months stay an NHL regular. I’m not talking stats here, I’m meaning the way plays and the “consistency” of that play.

George is in the league because he's extremely talented. When he's on, his athletic game is near the top of the league. The knock has always been consistency and mental game. His last year in New York was terrible... basically the same as this season, just in a backup role instead. The season prior was only slightly better. The shot that was taken is that he clearly wanted to be a starting goalie and made that known... so his consistency struggles were excused away as a guy who just needs reps, but clearly has the physical talent (which he does). Right now, it is clear the consistency and mental game are huge issues... maybe insurmountable. With his reputation as a bad teammate, it wouldn't shock me to see him out of the league in 2-3 years (I expect one more shot from a team).

Reactions: The Moops

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I have to give him (AG) credit for even being interviewed after that game. But it was uncomfortable and painful listening to his responses. Nothing he said gave me any indication it won't be more of the same the rest of the playoffs.

Hopefully, Bednar will be willing to play whomever else as soon as they are available. I remember when Bednar used to be willing to go with whomever was playing the best at the time.

Bednar has to shelter Georgiev at this point Simple as that.

Problem: He has no other goalie atm......

This will end in a disaster.

Reactions: Hinterland

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
George is in the league because he's extremely talented. When he's on, his athletic game is near the top of the league. The knock has always been consistency and mental game. His last year in New York was terrible... basically the same as this season, just in a backup role instead. The season prior was only slightly better. The shot that was taken is that he clearly wanted to be a starting goalie and made that known... so his consistency struggles were excused away as a guy who just needs reps, but clearly has the physical talent (which he does). Right now, it is clear the consistency and mental game are huge issues... maybe insurmountable. With his reputation as a bad teammate, it wouldn't shock me to see him out of the league in 2-3 years (I expect one more shot from a team).
Your post is exactly what I’m getting at. If he regularly played as he has the last few months, as the poster implied, he would not be in the nhl. The reason he is playing this poorly is because he is broken mentally as, as you point out, he has excellent athletic ability. If you have excellent ability and are unable to perform at an even standard level, it’s then a mental thing. The dude is broken in the head and this the reason for his poor play. Not his ability.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Your post is exactly what I’m getting at. If he regularly played as he has the last few months, as the poster implied, he would not be in the nhl. The reason he is playing this poorly is because he is broken mentally as, as you point out, he has excellent athletic ability. If you have excellent ability and are unable to perform at an even standard level, it’s then a mental thing. The dude is broken in the head and this the reason for his poor play. Not his ability.

My point is that he has played this poorly before coming to the Avs and now with the Avs... teams give him extra leash because his talent is so high you try to work through the issues. At a certain point, teams do give up on these guys... but they will take longer than those who just don't have the talent.

Even after this, he will get another shot elsewhere. Likely as a 1B on the cheap to take over a role. This despite being mentally broken.

Reactions: The Moops

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
My point is that he has played this poorly before coming to the Avs and now with the Avs... teams give him extra leash because his talent is so high you try to work through the issues. At a certain point, teams do give up on these guys... but they will take longer than those who just don't have the talent.

Even after this, he will get another shot elsewhere. Likely as a 1B on the cheap to take over a role. This despite being mentally broken.
I dont care where he ends up after this season or beyond after he singlehandly killed our season on Sunday......

I dont wish him anything bad, i just dont want to see him in an AVs sweater beyond this season....

Reactions: Azrael89

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019

I agree he has played poorly in the past, for the Avs even before the rags. That’s why I stated he ain’t no world beater. The caveat being, not this poorly and not for this long. The poor runs he’s had in the past were very likely mental blocks much like this, just to a lesser degree. Consistency usually runs with confidence, which is very much a mental state. His confidence is, rightfully, at an all time low and he is fighting every aspect of his game. Missed traps, poor rebounds, you name it and he’s doing it.

And I don’t doubt he’ll get another chance and maybe even finds success, he wouldn’t be the first goalie to fix a mental state. I think we can agree that it’s not likely to last if he does but who knows. That very likely won’t be this year though.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I watched the Altitude feed of the game and everyone - Moser, Rycroft, Keefe, Mitchell - kept saying things like 'you need your goalie to make a save'. Possibly the most critical I've ever heard them be of a player. He's done.
Even the majority of the Jets-Board honestly admit that Georgiev was the big reason they got away with the win.....

And they hope he stays in net....😅

Reasonable. He gives them a free pass for Round 2....😅

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It doesn't help George that he is a fairly small goalie and also plays small. So when he is off a little it can get pretty ugly.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think we saw more proof that the way to motivate George is by supporting him.

He had some very nice things to say about how his teammates supported him before and after last game. Bednar had some nice things to say about him as well.

If they want to win another Cup, this is how you get the best out of George. Even if they have to force it at times, they have to be vocally supportive of him, and not let him feel like he's isolated on his own, or that he's one goal away from being a backup again.

The mental game is the most important aspect of being a starting goalie in the NHL. If you have to hack it, that's what you have to do to have success.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
I mean, here's the thing. Nobody was demanding that the Avs go out and get a starting goalie last summer. If they did, I didn't hear it. AG played pretty well in 2022-23 and played well enough against Seattle - he wasn't the reason we got bounced. He was certainly well within the "Kuemper Zone" of goaltending quality required of the Avalanche under their system.

Hell, AG had a really good March 2024. But in a sub-profession of headcases (goalies, golfers, relief pitchers) AG is particularly . . . "mercurial" I suppose. And yes, he deserved every bit of the thrashing he got after Game 1.

But I would venture to say that the Winnipeg Jets right now have a bigger goalie problem on their hands. Their Vezina guy is getting lit up on a nightly basis. The Avs can survive a "merely adequate" Georgiev and move on.. Winnipeg needs CH to be great - and he ain't. And its not close.

Was AG horrible in Game 1? Yup. You know who else was horrible? Connor Hellebuyck. Just slightly less so. But if that's the difference between AG and CH, the Jets don't stand a chance.

Last edited:

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
I mean, here's the thing. Nobody was demanding that the Avs go out and get a starting goalie last summer. If they did, I didn't hear it. AG played pretty well in 2022-23 and played well enough against Seattle - he wasn't the reason we got bounced. He was certainly well within the "Kuemper Zone" of goaltending quality required of the Avalanche under their system.

Hell, AG had a really good March 2024. But in a sub-profession of headcases (goalies, golfers, relief pitchers) AG is particularly . . . "mercurial" I suppose. And yes, he deserved every bit of the thrashing he got after Game 1.

But I would venture to say that the Winnipeg Jets right now have a bigger goalie problem on their hands. Their Vezina guy is getting lit up on a nightly basis. The Avs can survive a "merely adequate" Georgiev and survive. Winnipeg needs CH to be great - and he ain't. And its not close.
I love you.

Bonzo19

Nov 3, 2011

But I would venture to say that the Winnipeg Jets right now have a bigger goalie problem on their hands. Their Vezina guy is getting lit up on a nightly basis. The Avs can survive a "merely adequate" Georgiev and move on.. Winnipeg needs CH to be great - and he ain't. And its not close.

Was AG horrible in Game 1? Yup. You know who else was horrible? Connor Hellebuyck. Just slightly less so. But if that's the difference between AG and CH, the Jets don't stand a chance.
Great take indeed. If the team continues to support him on and off the ice, he will play better and better. I have good faith in that and I hope I'm right.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
If we have Fourgiev according to some here, when do people start talking about Sixebuyk?
Now.

But fact is we had Fourgiev all season long. It will be a most positive story if game1 to game2 round1 was the turning point where he got it all together. I'm cheering for him to keep this current form all the way to the cup. But it goes one game at a time. The trust is to be earned and Georgiev just has to keep it up now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad