Speculation: Go Time? Will Blues resign Petro?

Will Blues resign Petro?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
tenor.gif

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
He's gone.

The Blues realize the risks with next season and COVID. Petro's agent will go for maximum dollar. They will find a team willing to overextended themselves.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I really thought hard about this before voting. I think he stays in the end. I think he's just seeing what's out there. I'm confident that most teams in a position to win will be cautious about throwing around dollars due to the Covid situation, and Petro will ultimately sign here once he realizes that.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I really thought hard about this before voting. I think he stays in the end. I think he's just seeing what's out there. I'm confident that most teams in a position to win will be cautious about throwing around dollars due to the Covid situation, and Petro will ultimately sign here once he realizes that.
You have to be naive to think that way. No matter covid and flat cap. If Pietro type of player is available you free up cap space for making room for him. I believe there won't be team in NHL who don't want Pietro in their team and are and will free cap space for trading to get him signed. Question is where does Pietro want to go. When he hits FA market his agent phone will be ringing like crazy. And then Army's calls doesn't count anymore, he had chance to make happend before Pietro is FA.

Last edited:

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
It's a coin flip IMO:

1. We find a way to clear cap and resign him here for 8.8 x 8 or so.

or

2. We can't clear and he takes top term on market, not necessarily top dollar. I don't see him being the first player to take the 1 year 11 million cup deal pundits are talking about. He's already got a cup.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I thought very long and hard before voting. I believe Petro is gone. I'm starting to believe some of the rumors. Letting Petro walk after signing Faulk to that deal is a complete disaster by Army and should be the grounds for a firing. Petro wants to stay. Army needs to suck it up and put his ego away, Give Petro his no movement and some bonus money and call it a day.

Reactions: Reality Czech

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I think he's staying. I think it will be the 11th hour right before 10/09 so the Blues can do the 8th year and he will re-sign.
I think it was @Alklha that mentioned this a week or two ago, but don't be surprised if a late push comes late next week or early the following week right before the draft. Either way, Army is going to want to be making some moves on or before the 6th (Day 1 of the draft) and he is the type of manager that would prefer to know what he has before he makes moves to clear out what he can do without, so to speak.

Reactions: Benighted

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I think it was @Alklha that mentioned this a week or two ago, but don't be surprised if a late push comes late next week or early the following week right before the draft. Either way, Army is going to want to be making some moves on or before the 6th (Day 1 of the draft) and he is the type of manager that would prefer to know what he has before he makes moves to clear out what he can do without, so to speak.

Very true, I didn't consider moves having to be made first for some reason.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I don't know, I'd say it's pretty close to 50-50 whether he stays or not at this point. It seems that things (at least in Pietrangelo's view) are becoming personal and I wonder how close he is to telling Armstrong and the Blues to kick rocks. I do believe, ultimately, his preference is to remain a Blue but he wants the contract structured in a way DA isn't willing to bend to. My hope is that Pietrangelo and his agency get an idea of what other teams are willing/able to offer and they give the Blues a chance to get in the same neighborhood and they work something out. My fear is DA will dig in and Pietrangelo will walk.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I don't know, I'd say it's pretty close to 50-50 whether he stays or not at this point. It seems that things (at least in Pietrangelo's view) are becoming personal and I wonder how close he is to telling Armstrong and the Blues to kick rocks. I do believe, ultimately, his preference is to remain a Blue but he wants the contract structured in a way DA isn't willing to bend to. My hope is that Pietrangelo and his agency get an idea of what other teams are willing/able to offer and they give the Blues a chance to get in the same neighborhood and they work something out. My fear is DA will dig in and Pietrangelo will walk.
Agreed. I know in his heart he wants to stay but he is cleary getting angry and i don't blame him for being angry.

I do have a sliver of hope that he will stay.

tomin

AintNoSeats
Sponsor
Dec 18, 2014
my guess is that he stays. This is part of the "process" as frustrating as it is for us fans. I have a strong assumption that he wants to stay, the blues want him to stay, finding a common ground where both sides aren't happy but aren't mad isn't that easy. I'd imagine that they get a fair deal worked out. Doug's job is to build teams to win championships, plain and simple, he shouldn't over extend but needs to keep the best player on our team...on our team. Lets keep the SC appearances going because with Petro that is very very possible and everyone knows it. Thanks for reading my small hot take - not really going out on a limb but this whole thing is pretty basic imo.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
As cliché as it is, I think it is 50/50. I think that is entirely down to the relationship between Armstrong and Newport, and how flexible Armstrong is comfortable being with them specifically.

It is 100% reasonable for Pietrangelo to expect a NMC and signing bonuses. That is now standard for players of his calibre around the NHL, and if we're selling him on being a career Blue then the NMC shouldn't be a major issue. Newport negotiated the Karlsson contract and it shows that they don't have a position that 90% of the contract needs to be signing bonuses; I think it is a little over 50% of the contract is signing bonuses. There is plenty of room to work out something reasonable.

The issue I have is that I don't know how flexible Armstrong is on these things, or if this is a hard matter of principle.

I would find it interesting if Schwartz has left Newport. If that is the case then I think that actually makes it more likely that we extend Pietrangelo. It would suggest we're already in discussions with Schwartz on an extension. It makes it easier for Armstrong to give a little more on Pietrangelo if he knows that Meehan isn't walking through the door a month later saying "you gave Pietrangelo signing bonuses and a NMC, so we expect some of that for Schwartz". Our other Newport clients aren't an issue in the short term; Bozak isn't likely to be back, Dunn & Thomas have limited leverage as RFAs. and ROR is three years from UFA.

We told Backes that he was going to UFA in the May. To the point where his house was up for sale in early June. Then we took another run and offered him a couple of deals in late June (I believe it was 4 x $5.75M & then $5.85m). If term isn't the issue here and the money is close, then those late runs at Pietrangelo are more likely to land.

Whatever happens with Pietrangelo, we're going to be active around the draft. Whether it is purely dropping cap or making hockey trades. If we open up cap and extend Pietrangelo, then we don't need to do anything else. If Pietrangelo leaves, Armstrong knows that just extending Dunn and adding some depth players isn't sending a good message to the fans and team. He'll do something else, so we'll need the cap flexibility either way.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
if he takes the business part of professional sports personally then I DO blame HIM
if that is the case he needs to get over his self and grow up
8 x 8 just, sniff.. , wasn't, sniff.., enough, sniff.. sniff.., those big meanies
I personally think he has a cup now and he is going to Toronto to try and win one in his home town
everything else is just posturing so he doesn't look like the bad guy
and I think Army had an idea this might be the case and that is why we have Faulk

Reactions: blueswede22

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Voting he's gone but the wording on the choice feels like it doesn't accurately reflect the "why".

Just feels this has been personal for a long time and Pietrangelo feels slighted. On top of that he's not getting an offer he feels is high enough compared to any number of things.

He gone....

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Voting he's gone but the wording on the choice feels like it doesn't accurately reflect the "why".

Just feels this has been personal for a long time and Pietrangelo feels slighted. On top of that he's not getting an offer he feels is high enough compared to any number of things.

He gone....
Agree with the bold, though I'm voting he stays. If he were to leave, the reason seems to have been accurately explained by today's article in the Athletic:
It’s a really hard one to answer. I’m going to say he leaves. Just knowing (Pietrangelo’s agency), and knowing Doug, I just feel like this is one of those things where it should get done, and it’s stupid that it doesn’t get done, but for some reason I feel like it’s not gonna. I think you’ve got a very proud general manager and a very experienced, proud agent and a very experienced, proud player, and that’s why I feel like there’s a good chance this doesn’t get resolved.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I think it gets done. I think Army's final offer is 8x8.5....which makes him a top 5 paid Dman in the NHL and the highest paid Dman to never win a Norris, as well as our top paid player. The NMC shouldn't be -this- big of a sticking point, so then it just comes down to bonus structure. Interestingly enough, Josi's contract is backwards where all his bonus money is paid up front then his later years it's all salary.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
You have to be naive to think that way. No matter covid and flat cap. If Pietro type of player is available you free up cap space for making room for him. I believe there won't be team in NHL who don't want Pietro in their team and are and will free cap space for trading to get him signed. Question is where does Pietro want to go. When he hits FA market his agent phone will be ringing like crazy. And then Army's calls doesn't count anymore, he had chance to make happend before Pietro is FA.
You're right that there isn't a team in the league that wouldn't want him. It's the second part of that sentence that I don't agree with. There's too much uncertainty about where the cap will be going forward. There's also only a handful of teams with a chance at clearing/having cap to sign him. Which of those teams are actually places he wants to go? That's the real question. DA probably knows that he can't give the highest offer, but he knows damn well Petro isn't leaving a tax friendly city, where he's surrounded by family, with the promise of 500k more a year cap hit; especially with reports he's been offered the 8 years. My guess it has more to do with the bonuses as others have mentioned. In this era of uncertainty you can't blame him for trying.

blues80

Dec 10, 2018
They need to go to nine his heart is definitely here and stillman is paying bounses to o'reilly so this goes straight on doug

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I remember when the Blues acquired ROR Stillman had no problem paying all of his bonuses. But can give the Captain any bonuses. That is squarely on Army.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
They need to go to nine his heart is definitely here and stillman is paying bounses to o'reilly so this goes straight on doug
I really can’t believe that it would take $9m in the current climate. Without the pandemic? Absolutely.

AAV isn’t typically the important number in this situation, it’s the total value of the contract. If we offer 8 x $8.4m then that is $67.2m. To get a $67.2m contract from anyone else it would be 7 x $9.7m... and that’s just matching it, not beating it.

It’s all about structure. If it gets done then I would guess 8 x $8.25m, NMC and ~40% in signing bonuses.

Reactions: TruBlu and 67Blues

Zizzle

Oct 29, 2019
According to Capfriendly.com we have about 5+ in cap space. If the Blues LTIR Steen and Tank and trade Bozak that should clear plenty of space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad