Go on record: what does MB do with #3?

What does MB do with #3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I don't get this BPA thing and I think you can fall into a trap very quick. Wasn't Puljujarvi and Juolevi best available at 4 and 5 in 2016? If we keep the 3rd pick. I would like to see us draft Zadina, Hughes, or Kotkaniemi. I also like Dobson, Tkachuk, Boqvist, or Wahlstrom but I'm not talking them with the 3rd pick.

Pretty sure the Blue Jackets didn't draft best available when they selected PLD (pre-draft rankings). They went after the guy they wanted that fit into their future plans. The Oilers and Canucks drafted BPA according to popular pre draft rankings. Habs got Sergachev at 9th an the Bruins got McAvoy at 14th.

Throw the BPA out the window and draft Kotkaniemi if our scouts are high on him. I like Zadina a lot too. BPA is a moving target and in 12 months time, the story will be very different with many of these guys in the top 10.

If we think Kotkaniemi has #1C upside, draft him at 3rd. If not, take Zadina or trade down.

If Habs scouts like Kotkaniemi better than Zadina, then he's BPA. When talking about BPA, it's not about deferring to consensus draft rankings, it's about drafting who you project will be the best player.

It doesn't always work out as in the cases you mention (nothing is guaranteed), but I'd be that it works out better than the alternative...especially at the #3 slot.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Zadina.....cause he scores goals and a plenty. I’d be okay with Wahlstrom but with Zadina I’d be ecstatic

Zadina is the Keep It Simple Stupid method -- and it's exactly what this GM should do. Sure, there are others within Zadina's tier that are just as desirable but this GM is not sophisticated enough to tell the difference and could end up overreaching for someone if left to his devices. And he's surrounded with the wrong advisors to boot. Hoping no one will incite him to use is non-existent GM acumen.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bergevin should trade the 3rd overall pick to HFBoards for the rights to create yet another thread about the 3rd overall pick.

Followed by a gazillion posts about how Zadina drives the play and then doesn't drive it, but may drive it sideways but isn't speedy in a straight line but finds spots from the red dot but has a super deceptive shot -- but is several notches removed from Svech.

But no worries, Svech is falling to us, Carolina doesn't like Russians and Carolina has Necas who they'd like paired with Zadina. Plus, we sent our trojan horse over there in Dudley, who will probably make things even more muddied.

Do I have this right? If yes, I may have just saved us from a ton more posts.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Zadina is the Keep It Simple Stupid method -- and it's exactly what this GM should do. Sure, there are others within Zadina's tier that are just as desirable but this GM is not sophisticated enough to tell the difference and could end up overreaching for someone if left to his devices. And he's surrounded with the wrong advisors to boot. Hoping no one will incite him to use is non-existent GM acumen.

Have to agree with this. Last thing this franchise needs is for MB to try to out-think himself with such an important pick.

Reactions: dralaf and Runner77

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Beginning to think we should take Kotkaniemi. Logic being he’s probably the best centre in this draft. Even if that makes him a top 10 in any other normal draft, he’s still projected as a top line centre.

Zadina is a great talent but by default, centres are more valuable than wingers, especially so if you’re the Canadiens.

I’m torn but I’m leaning towards a center. Especially when you look at past drafts and the best players aren’t all in the top 3 or 5 at the time. So trade down a spot or two, get some more picks and draft Kotkaniemi.

In a redo, was Pulji or Alex Nylander better choice than Jost, Keller or Borgstrom? We’re Meir, Crouse, Gurianov better than Barzal, Ek, Roslavic?
It’s always a crap shoot but at the end of the day, you’re almost always better to err on the side of a center. Can’t blame a team for trying right?

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We'd all like the idea of a center however, overreaching for one or getting into gymnastics on the premise that Kotkaniemi will fall, could have us fall flat and short.

I'd just take what the draft gives us. This year, centers are abundant in the 2nd round, so let's select them there, where we happen to own multiple picks. This year's first round is replete with wingers and Ds, so draft accordingly.

Next year, there will be highly ranked centers in the first round -- get one of them then.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Followed by a gazillion posts about how Zadina drives the play and then doesn't drive it, but may drive it sideways but isn't speedy in a straight line but finds spots from the red dot but has a super deceptive shot -- but is several notches removed from Svech.

But no worries, Svech is falling to us, Carolina doesn't like Russians and Carolina has Necas who they'd like paired with Zadina. Plus, we sent our trojan horse over there in Dudley, who will probably make things even more muddied.

Do I have this right? If yes, I may have just saved us from a ton more posts.
If Svech drops to us then I fear Bergevin will pass on him as well... He doesn't like Russians on the team anymore.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Beginning to think we should take Kotkaniemi. Logic being he’s probably the best centre in this draft. Even if that makes him a top 10 in any other normal draft, he’s still projected as a top line centre.

Zadina is a great talent but by default, centres are more valuable than wingers, especially so if you’re the Canadiens.

I’m torn but I’m leaning towards a center. Especially when you look at past drafts and the best players aren’t all in the top 3 or 5 at the time.

I'm not torn and I'd pick Zadina at 3rd if Svechnikov isn't available.

However, I'd definitely tout for the possibility of trading for that other 1st round draft pick that might land us a C prospect. even then, I'd rather MON go for broke and try to land a pick high enough to nab Wahlstrom than pick Kotkaniemi. Much higher ceiling, IMO.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If Svech drops to us then I fear Bergevin will pass on him as well... He doesn't like Russians on the team anymore.

Not in this case -- there is just enough of a discrepancy between Svech and Zadina. Even Bergevin can't get this wrong.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I want to draft Zadina, no question (unless Carolina blunders).
Then I want to use Max and trade into the top 10 somehow and draft a center or a D.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm not torn and I'd pick Zadina at 3rd if Svechnikov isn't available.

However, I'd definitely tout for the possibility of trading for that other 1st round draft pick that might land us a C prospect. even then, I'd rather MON go for broke and try to land a pick high enough to nab Wahlstrom than pick Kotkaniemi. Much higher ceiling, IMO.

Walstrom isn’t a center and I doubt we can trade anyone to get low enough to get Kotkaniemi.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Bergevin should trade the 3rd overall pick to HFBoards for the rights to create yet another thread about the 3rd overall pick.

This is some inception type drafting. What would happen though, if Bergevin traded the the pick to HFboards for another thread but then got thread banned and had to create a new account and then that account got hired in an analytics position for the Hurricanes and convinced them to draft Zadina 2nd.

Would Bergevin then trade back for the 3rd overall pick through the main boards and then use it to take Dobson, before going back to the Blackhawks and trading for the 4th overall pick and taking Svechnikov?

Interesting, indeed.

AboveandBeyond

Jun 1, 2013
Hollows Edge
Draft Zadina and then trade Pacioretty + one of the many 2nds we have to move up and grab a puck moving d or centre in the early mid 1st round . Get 2 blue chip prospects to add to the pool . Save a couple 2nds for some more depth . I’d be happy if they did that . We need more good young talent on this team.

Reactions: hardcorehabs

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I voted BPA with Zadina at 3rd, but if we are going to trade down, which I am fine with, it better be worth it and I don't see teams being this excited about Zadina.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Draft Zadina
Trade Max in a deal for a top 15 pick.
Add picks to top 15 from Max trade to get to Kotkaniemi, if available

Reactions: Riggins

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
In all likelyhood, our 1st will be traded for an established centerman and Pacioretty will be traded for a LHpmd.

No blue chips this year. We barely make the playoffs next year, get booted in the 1st round and out of the lottery for Hughes.

That's what I expect.

Reactions: Shabs and Runner77

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Assuming top 2 are as is
I' be thrilled with Dobson or Hughes
Happy with Zadina
Neutral with Kotkaniemi
Disappointed with anybody else

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
It's funny you see.. you listed 5 options which all have their own reasons to do them and reasons not to, but they're 5 solid options. Now watch as Marc Bergevin makes them all disappear! This crazy bastard will find a way!

In all seriousness though, draft Zadina or trading down a little bit in hopes of snagging Kotkaniemi would both work for me.

On a sidenote, I know it's probably unlikely and has been discussed before but if we somehow can swing Edmonton's 1st rounder with Pacioretty as the main piece I would love life, I'm pretty high on a lot of the top draft picks this year and someone good would still be around for that pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad