Post-Game Talk: [GM6] Canucks defeat Predators | 3-2 (Mikheyev, Di Giuseppe, & Hoglander) | A Mighty Fine Start

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I dunno, I'm sick of hearing that a guy who didn't move the needle all that much is going to somehow save us coming in at the start of January. Our fortunes will pretty much be sealed by that point.

And if we get him back in January, he's going to need at least a week or two to get back up to speed. Personally I think one of guys from the AHL stepping up is going to be more timely and useful.
Said nobody ever.

Enjoy the win… or don’t and pick it apart.

They played solid.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Still not convinced. Either we'll be near or above the playoff bar or we'll be way out of it by the time January comes around.

Who says he'll even be recovered from the shoulder injury? He had some good stretches here last year but was much better early and then had a bunch of poor performances. He ended up being a decent shot suppressor but ironically wasn't that great with the puck on his stick. He was terrible on the PK. Overall he wasn't that special and his mid numbers making him "second best" on the team is more due to the extremely low bar we've set.

Someone pointed out that he doesn't even need to sign here, so how do we even know we'll get him back?
R E L A X

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I said f*** it, quit my job last year and went back to school, also moved back in with my parents to save money
The benefit of having a Chinese/Asian family is that my mom practically wants me to move back with her
Really? My parents couldn’t wait to kick me out

Indiana

Mar 17, 2008
Canada
Ok I'm off to read the Oilers PGT while watching the Flames lose. Tonight we feast
ZlbPjIG.gif

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Really? My parents couldn’t wait to kick me out
Yeah, might varies from family to family but I think it's common for Asian parent to want their children to stay with them as long as possible (some even after marriage)

When I was 20, I told my mom that I was thinking of moving out at she shed tears that night. Still remember til this day, didnt move out until I was 24

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Beauvillier - getting near to the time when you sit him. Doing zero offensively (looks light and easily pushed around) and making turnovers. Most disappointing player on the team. Lot of useless hustle leading to getting out of position

Improved PK has been so important this year. Beginning of last year. team, no doubt, gives up something on those late calls. Give some credit to Tocchet and co. here.

I had a few posters respond when I mentioned Beauvillier is completely invisible when he's not scoring with "that's how middle 6 players are" but I feel it's particularly egregious with him. He's basically useless, unnoticeable and borderline AHL material. I was sorta iffy on keeping him based on his run with Petterson and Kuzmenko in garbage time last season but it's clear he, Garland and Myers need to go.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
“Cup or bust”

Proceeds to go 1-5 LOL get f***ed Oilers
We helped !

Sad thing is he’s on a pretty friendly contract for a year but he’s getting older. He brings a lot to this team.
Im willing to extend him for the same price range for another year or two if he plays well enough down the road and the team have success

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I feel bad* for Canucks fans.

Right now, they are feeling good, thinking to themselves that if they somehow solve the RHD problem - aka the Tyler Myers problem - that this team could make playoffs and even do some damage. Enjoy actually meaningful games in the spring, instead of watching them throw away draft position with meaningless wins in garbage time.

But beneath those good feelings, subconsciously, percolates a sense of dread among all Canucks fans.

Knowing that if there is one thing that this team never fails to disappoint in, is to always disappoint.

Whether it is an injury to one of Demko/Petey/Hughes, or just another collapse of systems play and tuning out the coach, or whatever the case may be, every Canuck fan knows that the season could unravel at the turn of a dime.

And if the season unravels, Petey is gone.

And with Petey gone, Miller will eventually be overwhelmed with despair, and his play will suffer.

And Hughes will demand out.

And the next half decade will unravel, the team just good enough to again miss out on great prospects, but lucky to even sniff meaningful games in March.

Such that the mediocrity purgatory that Benning and his psychophantic fan club inflicted on the team will not last just one decade, but a second decade as well.

*who am I kidding? I mean, just look at my username

Reactions: andora and Vector

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Kind of boring to watch. Petey missing the empty netteres over and over was probably the most exciting the game got lol.

But hey, taking these road W's is very nice. Lesson learned from the start of the trip and good to see the team play possession and low-event with leads.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Let the good vibes roll.

Im really loving Miller (and to lesser extent PDG & Boeser). Easily our best line. One of the best lines in hockey this season.

Quinn Hughes should be in Norris consideration. If he keeps this up and played in the east he could win it for sure.

Hronek was fine. If he is going to be strapped to QH we need to add 2 more top4 Dmen instead of just one.

Myers in bottom pairing minutes was mostly unnoticeable. He is bad but not as bad as he was the first games. Just his mistakes are ending up in the back of the net more frequently now.

Im getting annoyied with EP40s body language. Missing the open net there. Stops playing for a moment. Etc.

Last edited:

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Tough 5 game road trip to start, but you have to think spending that much time together at the start of the season with a good result has built some real comradery amongst the team. You can slowly see them executing the system better as the games roll on.

Hopefully, with a return back home, they're able to reduce the load on Hronek and Hughes. They're playing at a level I don't think I've seen from any Canucks defensive pair has, but you really don't want to wear them down too much as they're going to be needed late in the season. Tochet did a fantastic job in G1 against the Oilers at home, so I expect this aspect to be better at home.

Speaking of the blueline, the need for another RD is super apparent - any injuries here and we're doomed. Myers has tanked every partner he's been with - Cole looked so much better today the moment he was paired with a waiver wire player in Friedman. Soucy was showing rust, but carrying that boat anchor with him is too much to ask (even in limited minutes) for a guy who needs his partner to be the puck mover on his pairing.

Garland put a good effort in today, especially at the end. Good to see - hopefully teams around the league notice as we need to re-allocate his cap space badly.

Miller was a beast, fell off late but still great all around game. Petey's line was also respectable - Ilya is making a massive difference already, and I expect that to continue getting better over the next few weeks. Suter was noticeably better today, but the team needs some production out of that line at some point.

Also, how they didn't end up with a single powerplay in the first two periods despite completely dominating the run of play is beyond me. I hate game management in the NHL and how what is/isn't a call depends on whether you're winning/losing/time of the game, its execution is beyond ridiculous compared to all the other major sports in the US and does a fantastic job at ruining the credibility of the sport.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
penne mixed up with sauteed kale, garlic, pesto, chopped Italian sausage
Banh Mi sandwich (pork with egg) from
The streets of district one in Saigon.

I wonder if Chris Tanev could look past our idiot owner and come back to reunite with Hughes. This team needs that guy.
It was the GM and not the Owner at messed that whole situation up.. I’m sure it’s fine

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Let the good vibes roll.

Im really loving Miller (and to lesser extent PDG & Boeser). Easily our best line. One of the best lines in hockey this season.

Quinn Hughes should be in norris consideration. If he keeps this up andplayed in the east he could win it for sure.

Hronek was fine. If he is going to be strapped to QH we need to add 2 more top4 Dmen instead of just one.

Myers in bottom pairing minutes was mostly unnoticeable. He is bad but not as bad as he was the first games. Just his mistakes are ending up in the back of the net more frequently now.

Im getting annoyied with EP40s body language. Missing the open net there. Stops playing for a moment. Etc.

Wasnt he directly responsible for the first Nashville goal?

But to be fair - one goal against is probably a quiet night for Myers

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I feel bad* for Canucks fans.

Right now, they are feeling good, thinking to themselves that if they somehow solve the RHD problem - aka the Tyler Myers problem - that this team could make playoffs and even do some damage. Enjoy actually meaningful games in the spring, instead of watching them throw away draft position with meaningless wins in garbage time.

But beneath those good feelings, subconsciously, percolates a sense of dread among all Canucks fans.

Knowing that if there is one thing that this team never fails to disappoint in, is to always disappoint.

Whether it is an injury to one of Demko/Petey/Hughes, or just another collapse of systems play and tuning out the coach, or whatever the case may be, every Canuck fan knows that the season could unravel at the turn of a dime.

And if the season unravels, Petey is gone.

And with Petey gone, Miller will eventually be overwhelmed with despair, and his play will suffer.

And Hughes will demand out.

And the next half decade will unravel, the team just good enough to again miss out on great prospects, but lucky to even sniff meaningful games in March.

Such that the mediocrity purgatory that Benning and his psychophantic fan club inflicted on the team will not last just one decade, but a second decade as well.

*who am I kidding? I mean, just look at my username
You just triggers my PTSD

Reactions: I am toxic

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Good game..Canucks looked like the superior team tonight..I don’t think anyone had a really bad game..Didn’t like Friedman or Myers late penalties ..that was my only criticism.

They don’t resemble last season s team at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad