Post-Game Talk: [GM6] Canucks defeat Predators | 3-2 (Mikheyev, Di Giuseppe, & Hoglander) | A Mighty Fine Start

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Options are limited. Just replacing Myers’ minutes with a $1.5M softer minutes Bear is going to be huge in alleviating Hughes/Hronek. It’s not saving us but when you think about how it takes Myers or Friedman out and the trickle up effect it’ll have, it’s a no brainer.
Still not convinced. Either we'll be near or above the playoff bar or we'll be way out of it by the time January comes around.

Who says he'll even be recovered from the shoulder injury? He had some good stretches here last year but was much better early and then had a bunch of poor performances. He ended up being a decent shot suppressor but ironically wasn't that great with the puck on his stick. He was terrible on the PK. Overall he wasn't that special and his mid numbers making him "second best" on the team is more due to the extremely low bar we've set.

Someone pointed out that he doesn't even need to sign here, so how do we even know we'll get him back?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Damn, so JB is the god father?
the-godfather-homer-simpson.gif

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
We're better this year than last because of 3 things mainly

1. We're not playing "soft" hockey anymore, we forecheck hard, we push play forward, we backcheck hard. The forwards have bought-in

2. We have Hronek, Soucy, Cole upgrades over OEL, Burroughs and whoever of Stillman/Brisebois/Juulsen happened to be playing on a given night.

3. Myers minutes have decreased from 21 minutes a night to 17 minutes.

If the Canucks brought in a top 4 RHS Dman and ditched Myers, we could reeeeallly be looking at playoffs and maybe making some noise

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
We're better this year than last because of 3 things mainly

1. We're not playing "soft" hockey anymore, we forecheck hard, we push play forward, we backcheck hard. The forwards have bought-in

2. We have Hronek, Soucy, Cole upgrades over OEL, Burroughs and whoever of Stillman/Brisebois/Juulsen happened to be playing on a given night.

3. Myers minutes have decreased from 21 minutes a night to 17 minutes.

If the Canucks brought in a top 4 RHS Dman and ditched Myers, we could reeeeallly be looking at playoffs and maybe making some noise
4. Some will disagree with this one. There is no more need to put Horvat on the defensive role because of "reputation" and "team agenda" reasons, replacing Bo with JT as the two way C is so much better. Horvat sucks at defense, it is what it is

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Team never makes it easy on themselves and leaves you with your heart in your mouth most of the game. Right now overcoming mistakes with some last ditch efforts. Team is obviously flawed and being carried by tremendous efforts out of certain players. If they can ever get everyone moving in one direction and reduce the number of the turnovers, team could be quite decent.

Good

Hughes - just outstanding. Packing the puck out of danger all game and huge through the neutral zone. I'd wish he'd pass the puck a little more rather than shooting so much but his play through neutral zone and in the offensive end is critical. Again most of the offense ran thru him even if was not given credit for all the assists he deserved. Hughes >>>>> Josi in this one

Miller - can't ask more. Man on a mission. Line missed on few of their chances when passes went just astray. But line was able to created the o-zone time needed to keep Predators on their heels.

Hoglander - wasn't great in every zone but basically got the job done in his end and thru the neutral ice (if he can continually do that he is in the League permanently) and was good around the net. Looks like it is coming around for him offensively. Made himself a positive factor in this game

Hronek - erratic game but he was one of the player that came up clutch plays in key situations. Played near half the game and is being asked to do a lot. Wish he was a little more direct in making plays.

Joshua - good effort. Got there better in this game and was important in breaking up plays. Looks like he may get back to scoring although line in general still looks very limited in d terms of providing offense. Unlike others who made bad turnovers (see Beauvillier and Lafferty) made good decisions with the puck

Garland - didn't play a lot but held his line together. Late game work was important and illustrated the desperation he plays with.

Di Guiseppe - about as steady as it gets. Makes himself hard to play against and never fails to contribute.

Cole - smart player who lets positioning and puck do the work. Does a lot of things that don't show up on the score sheet

Demko - play in the third was extremely important. Was giving up nothing low and making Nashville have to hit the top corners.

Not So Good

Soucy - probably inevitable there would be some rust coming off injury. (often shows up a couple of games after coming back) Didn't skate well and couldn't shorten up his passes. Though he was the weakest d-man (including Friedman - who was actually ok)

Beauvillier - getting near to the time when you sit him. Doing zero offensively (looks light and easily pushed around) and making turnovers. Most disappointing player on the team. Lot of useless hustle leading to getting out of position

Kuzmenko - flat effort. Looked to be coming last game but really not a factor in this game.

Suter - Thought he could have provided a lot more service to his linemates. Not that impressed and wonder if Aman is the better player. However, needs to be given more time to prove himself. Not a lot happening here.

Others

Pettersson - very ugly final minute. How can such a good player miss on those opportunities. I'm no psychologist but, to me, Pettersson is a complicated and moody person that can lose concentration at times. Something of a savant that over-complicates things. Give him credit for his important contributions to defense but I think he is over-handling the puck and forcing plays that aren't there. I just hope he breaks loose soon.

Myers - not as bad tonight. Penalty during final minutes was brain dead and tended to devalue an other wise ok game. Him and Soucy did not look that good together but thought most of that have to do with Soucy. Myers is at his best (like when Boudreau first took over) when he is up ice forcing the play in the neutral zone. You get him backing up and the problems start revealing themselves. Adjusting to the new systems and having Myers mostly staying back is likely one of the problems. You wonder if this player can begin to play with a little more smarts.

Improved PK has been so important this year. Beginning of last year. team, no doubt, gives up something on those late calls. Give some credit to Tocchet and co. here.

Last edited:

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Ty, trying to finish a degree at the end of the year.
I hate my previous job cause it was during the whole pandemic
I feel your pain,
Im working a full time job while going to night school (2 years away from finishing my degree) and another course at the weekends.

Never been so burnt out in my f***ing life.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I feel your pain,
Im working a full time job while going to night school (2 years away from finishing my degree) and another course at the weekends.

Never been so burnt out in my f***ing life.
I said f*** it, quit my job last year and went back to school, also moved back in with my parents to save money
The benefit of having a Chinese/Asian family is that my mom practically wants me to move back with her

Last edited:
Reactions: andora and Indiana

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Would have been a travesty if the Canucks had found a way to lose this one. They controlled most of the 60 minutes.

Although it got dicey late with two consecutive penalties to Friedman and Myers. The Myers penalty was particularly bone-headed. Every game he does something stupid that potentially costs the Canucks.

A strong night for the Miller line with Di Giuseppe and Boeser. It's shocking how ineffectual Garland is these days. He used to be so dynamic along the wall, but now he' almost invisible.

After watching parts of the Abby Canucks game tonight, it's so obvious that the parent Canucks would be so much stronger with Wolanin, Aman and Podkolzin in the lineup Can't happen fast enough.

Reactions: arttk

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
JB ruined my life in that I said "f*** hockey" and decided to settle down and have multiple kids.
You sure it wasn’t the kids?

5 goals in 5 games?

Let him cook in the AHL yeah but man I could see him doing well with the way our team is forechecking.

Let me score 30 there and boost his confidence. I don’t think he has played a scoring role anywhere during his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad