Post-Game Talk: [GM50] Canucks defeat Hurricanes | 3-2 (Lindholm(2) & Miller) | Lindholm’s Revenge

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Pretty much every year everyone he played with except this year with Kuzmenko and Mikheyev.
And yet last year he had insane chemistry with seventy pt kuz, so what's the common underperforming denominator I wonder. Maybe a career bottom sixer maybe idk.

I still haven't seen a convincing argument ep is significantly better than aho, yet alot of ppl seem fine tossing 12M at him, thats a top percentile number.

Reactions: Indiana

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
And yet last year he had insane chemistry with seventy pt kuz, so what's the common underperforming denominator I wonder. Maybe a career bottom sixer maybe idk.

I still haven't seen a convincing argument ep is significantly better than aho, yet alot of ppl seem fine tossing 12M at him, thats a top percentile number.
Aho was ppg when he signed his contract.
Pettersson will be on back to back 100+ pt seasons.
25% more points matches up pretty well with 25% more money.

Reactions: Indiana and Play

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia

Recency bias. Aho just had a nice snipe on Demko decreased the gap between Aho and Pettersson in your mind

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Aho was ppg when he signed his contract.
Pettersson will be on back to back 100+ pt seasons.
25% more points matches up pretty well with 25% more money.
Again, not exactly convincing, most basic of comparisons.
I'm sure the team and agent will have much more thorough analysis, hopefully something public at some point.
Their impacts on the actual games, consistently, seems frequently very similar, from my own most basic of comparisons.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Aho is wildly underpaid...

Cap going up...

Vancouver taxes...

Reactions: Play

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Aho is wildly underpaid...

Cap going up...

Vancouver taxes...
Refer to above..

Just seems like the argument for a top one percentile contract would (should) be pretty obvious and easy to make tbh, and aho was signed seven months ago...

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I mean, odds are it probably will regress next season, although I don't think any of us are claiming otherwise. The team personnel will be different as we can't afford to retain everyone (thanks Benning), and so to compare this year and next year straight up would be stupid.
Exactly. That's the stupid take, that the team next year - which will be a different team - will regress. Well, so what? Each year is it's own deal.

Reactions: Indiana

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
Again, not exactly convincing, most basic of comparisons.
I'm sure the team and agent will have much more thorough analysis, hopefully something public at some point.
Their impacts on the actual games, consistently, seems frequently very similar, from my own most basic of comparisons.
It's a lot more convincing than Aho = Pettersson because ... eye test?
Aho got 9.75 playing ppg hockey, 25% less effective than Petey on the scoresheet.

I'll need a ton of convincing than 2020-2022 Aho was as effective as Pettersson is this year and last as that's the timeline we're comparing contracts.

7 months ago is a different cap ceiling than the cap ceiling Petey is going to sign under (small diff but adds up).

Aho was also slightly underpaid and his lack of production probably hurt the final number he got. You can look good and have tons of skill but results matter and points = money.

Last edited:

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Refer to above..

Just seems like the argument for a top one percentile contract would (should) be pretty obvious and easy to make tbh, and aho was signed seven months ago...
Aho signed that contract coming off a 67 point season. Pettersson will be signing his contract most likely coming off a season with 105+ Points

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
It's a lot more convincing than Aho = Pettersson because ... eye test?
Aho got 9.75 playing ppg hockey, 25% less effective than Petey on the scoresheet.

I'll need a ton of convincing than 2020-2022 Aho was as effective as Pettersson is this year and last as that's the timeline we're comparing contracts.

7 months ago is a different cap ceiling than the cap ceiling Petey is going to sign under.
Ok champ, seven months ago is ancient history and you restating the same ppg info changes nothing. Ppg isn't the be all end all.

Aho signed that contract coming off a 67 point season. Pettersson will be signing his contract most likely coming off a season with 105+ Points
Again, most basic not very convincing arguments..

EPs only 100 pt, season came last year, with Kuzmenko, who everyone turned on asap and disregarded his pts instantly.
But EPs one big season on the same line is impressive and immediately worth 12M+?

Has he consistently looked like a 12m player this year?
Has he looked 30% better than aho, 50% better than hintz?

Ppl laugh at Tavares amd huby, even leafs fans hate the nylander deal, twelve million is MacKinnon territory, and nobody is talking about them in the same mesosphere.

Again, the argument for top percentile money should be pretty obvious and easy to make...

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Ok champ, seven months ago is ancient history and you restating the same ppg info changes nothing. Ppg isn't the be all end all.

EPs only 100 pt, season came last year, with Kuzmenko, who everyone turned on asap and disregarded his pts instantly.
But EPs one big season on the same line is impressive and immediately worth 12M+?

Ppl laugh at Tavares amd huby, even leafs fans hate the nylander deal, twelve million is MacKinnon territory, and nobody is talking about them in the same mesosphere.

Again, the argument for top percentile money should be pretty obvious and easy to make...
Fine, If we trade him I want Mason McTavish, thoughts?

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver

You haven't made any argument.

Whether you or I believe he's worth 12 mill or not is irrelevant. He's about to be a back to back 100pt center before he signs his next contract.

Alvin could make the greatest case known to man and maybe get Petey to 11.9 a year.

Are you saying we offer Petey 10 mill a year and call it? Because he's being traded if that's the case.

MacKinnon's cap was 15.1% so about 13.2 mill a year for next year's salary cap.

As much as some posters cry about him falling down or whatever he consistently fills up the scoresheet, has 9 game winners in 50 games and 38 even strength points.

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
Just wanted to point out one thing: that's not how the reward for elite talent works. Marginal gains at the very top of the talent spectrum are rewarded far more handsomely than those further down. Pettersson is undoubtedly a better talent than either of those players. I don't think he'll command 12M from the Canucks, but I do think he'll get himself a nice bag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad