Post-Game Talk: [GM43] Canucks defeat Sabres | 1-0 (Lafferty) | Snatcher Demko

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
There seems to be a bit less whining these days about how we should have taken Benson instead of Willander. Which is another win.
It's called Benning PTSD. We are still healing.

We were used to seeing the worst outcomes come to fruition so anything that happens is met with skepticism.

I think this season is finally reversing that. We have competent guys in charge. The little moves have actually shown this.

Reactions: Indiana

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
You know the team is more proud of this win than all the highscoring affairs previously on the roadtrip.
I'm most proud of the 3rd leading scorer in the league beating the shit out of two sabres lol. And shame on the many here who bashed him and his extension , jk.
I think Quinn was a great choice but let's be real, Quinn is so PC and JT may run a little hot but he's one hell of an interview and come playoffs he's going to be the guy that guys will feed off of

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
There seems to be a bit less whining these days about how we should have taken Benson instead of Willander. Which is another win.
Willander is going to be the best dman from this draft imo.
The Sabres draft so many of the same type of players when they don't pick 1st or an obvious pick like Eichel.
I mean they're good players but not a lot of variety.
I've always been a fan of Benning and now Alvin's drafting for the most part as well as the ducks.
Not a fan of the habs drafting at all.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Was at the game yesterday. First live game in awhile! Don't get a chance to watch the team as much living in Turrono.

Not the most exciting game and you could tell the team was feeling tired, but good teams win when they're not playing their best and that was a textbook gritty road win. Demko solid when he needed to be, good on Miller for answering the bell (twice), and good on the Canucks for standing up to the physical play. Buffalo isn't clicking right now, they look completely out of sync. Barely noticed Benson at all, Peterka was lively, Tage seemed to be trying to do it all himself. Canucks standouts for me were Garland, Petey, and Zadorov. Cole also had some good moments.

Like the Canucks we also got stuck in the snowstorm overnight. Thankfully we made it to Niagara where our hotel was but I don't see how the Canucks are getting out today even, the storm in Buffalo proper and south is still bad and the travel ban is still in effect. I can't see how the Bills game will happen on Monday.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
......with a million dollar recapture penalty for the next 5 seasons because....y'know....they just made it up....
The league will likely schedule the make up game the day before playoffs start so the team has to fly out to Columbus for a one off game then start the playoffs on a back to back.
That would be so on brand for Bettman and company.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can the Canucks bus to another city and then fly out from there? Can they get to say Toronto and then fly out?

Canucks still have Bos, Car, Det, Wash, left in the eastern time zone to play. But that’s a compact scheduled road trip as Bos, Det and Was is done in 4 days.

Reactions: Indiana

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The league will likely schedule the make up game the day before playoffs start so the team has to fly out to Columbus for a one off game then start the playoffs on a back to back.
That would be so on brand for Bettman and company.
Bills games is rescheduled for Monday. So even if the Canucks have to travel on Monday and arrive at Columbus late afternoon do that and get the game in. Take a L and get the game in. Extremely hard to reschedule a west vs east game.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Bills games is rescheduled for Monday. So even if the Canucks have to travel on Monday and arrive at Columbus late afternoon do that and get the game in. Take a L and get the game in. Extremely hard to reschedule a west vs east game.

fwict the game is at noon central time (MLk day in the US) so i think it’s not going to happen

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Hopefully they can get the game in tomorrow, even if it’s a late start, but if they can’t, it will likely be added to the schedule at the end of the regular season which will really suck.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
columbus is missing the playoffs and we’ll win the presidents trophy :sarcasm:

at the end of the rs, why not just postpone this game until after we win the cup? no need to do it before the playoffs, the only thing it would decide is columbus’ lottery odds and the art ross trophy :naughty:

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Going into this game I was reading the Sabres were 3 of 4 in their last games and this was their first game back from a road trip?
Buffalo has the worse 1st period scoring in the league at -54 and the Canucks the best at +54. It seemed to me not allowing any goals in the first was in Buffalo's and they would try to win it the next periods.
Their top scorer injured going into the game and their next is playing hurt. I recall one player was back from injury? Is this how Buffalo usually plays? Dirty - like trying to injure Lafferty and Hughes?

I have to think that lack of a 5 minute call on Miller was a game management/make-up call on Miller. We eliminated two more players on this game and Buffalo was stuck playing with three defensemen. The guy who fought Miller was a D man so they were really stuck on the power play and Dahlin was forced to sit briefly due to protocol. The Canucks won again today in the other key stat for them - the Murder category. But like goal scoring, we managed to shut them out even though they had the better chances. How many players have we managed to take out of the game on this trip?

That said, Demko stole the game for us. That third period especially and it hasn't looked like he was panicking. Didn't see any shots he was uncomfortable with. That's the second afternoon game he's done well in so there's no longer a curse - that was a Lou curse (though he won a few) just as being a "goalie graveyard" had no basis in reality in the post Crawford era.

Looking at the train schedule for Buffalo to Columbus and if they are running it would take 14 hours.

This completes the full New York sweep. now just get it off the windshield.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It's called Benning PTSD. We are still healing.

We were used to seeing the worst outcomes come to fruition so anything that happens is met with skepticism.

I think this season is finally reversing that. We have competent guys in charge. The little moves have actually shown this.
There is also this weird cult forming around the new management.

They kept spinning everything last season in to a positive. My ignore list has never been longer.

Reactions: I am toxic

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
The weirder cult is the one that stamps their feet because management doesn’t see everything through their eyes. Then when they get proven wrong, instead of being a fan of the team they try to predict doom and gloom in hopes of being right. Most of us are fans of the team. Some of us……….

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Can the Canucks bus to another city and then fly out from there? Can they get to say Toronto and then fly out?

Canucks still have Bos, Car, Det, Wash, left in the eastern time zone to play. But that’s a compact scheduled road trip as Bos, Det and Was is done in 4 days.
Sure maybe they can hire a few chuckwagons pulled by Clydesdales to get them out of Buffalo and then hitch a ride to C-Bus. Then take transit and trains and roll in at game time. :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad