Post-Game Talk: [GM4] Canucks lose to Lightning | 3-4 (Boeser, Myers, & Miller | .500 Hockey Club

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Watched it like 10X how idiotic that play is on the winning goal

Pettersson is doing his job perfectly on the PK -------- Text-Book
1) He is pinning the puck against the boards
2) Shielding two tampa players, bodying paul, and stick checking Point
3) Draining the clock
4) He doesnt need any help

Sure enough..................Here comes Dr. Lankenstein, trips over Brayden's point stick and tackles Pettersson in the process.

"5-on-4" turns into a "5-on-2"
Paul has 4 different options, and he slides it over to the maybe the 2nd best PP merchant in the entire league.

Last edited:

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
I don't

What happens to competent d-men when they come to Vancouver? They seem to suddenly morph into defensive train-wrecks.

I mean Ian Cole and Carson Soucy were solid d-men at their previous stops in Tampa and Seattle. But off the last two games, it's like they're flailing on an island out there. In recent seasons it just seems that every guy who comes in via free agency struggles mightily.

I suppose part of it is the forwards not winning board battles to get the puck out along wall....or turning if over in the neutral and then not getting back.

But just seemed in this game the Canucks defense completely abandoned the middle of the ice and backed in on Demko. Once again Demko was both brilliant and lucky in this one. And that's no recipe for long-term success.
To be fair the main thing I remember about Soucy from last year is when he took the absolute dumbest penalty I've ever seen and cost the Kraken a game.

He's okay. He's an NHL caliber defender, but he's a bottom pairing guy.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
A challenge has been thrown!

:sarcasm:

danhausen.gif

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
I don’t think Hronek has been bad defensively. Has he even been on the ice for a goal against this season? Outside of dumb penalties he’s been rock solid.

The problem is having 1 pairing. By putting Hughes and Hronek together …. You have a 4/5 in Cole babysitting an unplayable Myers.
I just haven't seen the impact that many were saying was a given when they first aquired him.

I see multiple concerning signs in his game up to this point and I wouldn't be surprised if Yzerman sold high on him.

Reactions: geebaan

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Oh. I f***in love people blaming Pettersson while he leads the league in points.

I just haven't seen the impact that many were saying was a given when they first aquired him.

I see multiple concerning signs in his game up to this point and I wouldn't be surprised if Yzerman sold high on him.
I have not noticed him much at all. This can be good, but not when you paid what we paid. (Useless magic beans)

I think Hughes + Hronek is a very solid Dpair.

We do not have the depth to stack them. They are our 1st & 2nd best players when it comes to moving the puck from the back end.

Reactions: geebaan and calnuck

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Drance was going on about how blaming Myers was incorrect. He said you should blame the top players for not playing good enough. Obviously paraphrasing.

I actually disagree strongly. In such a tight league gross mistakes are the difference in games. And tonight was the best example of that. Simply replacing Myers with a legitimate top four defenceman completely changes the outcome of games.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Drance was going on about how blaming Myers was incorrect. He said you should blame the top players for not playing good enough. Obviously paraphrasing.

I actually disagree strongly. In such a tight league gross mistakes are the difference in games. And tonight was the best example of that. Simply replacing Myers with a legitimate top four defenceman completely changes the outcome of games.

Myers is France’s new Green. Taking a flimsy contrarian stance to argue that everyone else is overreacting.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
You really thought it was going to be a special start... but here we are again.

Until proven otherwise, that defence still looks pretty awful

I’m OK with the forwards, the lines need to get going here but that will come once we have adequate defenders, really

Defend does look awful. We need one more guy that can slot in as a stable top 4 D-men.

The old Tanev - Edler pair is still more dependable than any of those pairings.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Don't get how Boeser is catching any flack he is literally the only forward who knows how to find soft spots in the slot and move without the puck right now.

Things I think are working in the lineup are the Miller line and the goalie Tandem (Demko 1 and DeSmith 2) everything else needs to be tweaked. The Petey line needs to be changed put Beauliviller on it idk do something. Put Lafferty-Suter-Hoglander together. Joshua, and Studnika, have been absolute crap. Please separate Hughes-Hronek they aren't even playing that well together.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Don't get how Boeser is catching any flack he is literally the only forward who knows how to find soft spots in the slot and move without the puck right now.

Things I think are working in the lineup are the Miller line and the goalie Tandem (Demko 1 and DeSmith 2) everything else needs to be tweaked. The Petey line needs to be changed put Beauliviller on it idk do something. Put Lafferty-Suter-Hoglander together. Joshua, and Studnika, have been absolute crap. Please separate Hughes-Hronek they aren't even playing that well together.
I agree with splitting up Hughes and Hronek, I really think it’s working more against us, from a whole team standpoint.

That defence is still a joke, simply put

Reactions: GrogZilla

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Hey they're 2-2. Let's see what things look like after 10 games.
heh. Remember Brian Burke's rant: "I will not evaluate Mike Keenan until he's had a chance to work with the assets in any future Bure trade. It would not be fair to him". Trades Pavel Bure & after two games the Canucks were 1-1. Keenan was fired pretty much that night or the next day.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
The most mine boggling stat was Tyler Myers only played 15 minutes. How can one man cause so much damage in such a short amount of time?
A really good description of his play-style

Heck you could make the case that replacing him with a bag of oreos would yield more positive results

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Myers is France’s new Green. Taking a flimsy contrarian stance to argue that everyone else is overreacting.

Lots of Myers defenders post-game, not just Drance. Apparently he just needs more structure and has decent underlying stats. iMac admitted the quiet part out loud when he said we’re basically stuck with him anyways and anyone we replace him with internally is likely worse.

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad