Post-Game Talk: [GM39] Canucks defeat Devils | 6-4 (Pettersson(2), Miller(2), Garland, & Joshua) | By the Hair of Our Chinny-Chin-Chin

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
good thing the lotto line reunited. let them stay for longer to generate offense. clearly mik/lafftery wasnt cutting it. 2nd line becomes mik/suter/lafftery?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Demko has alway had trouble blocker side, will surely get exposed in the playoffs
Demko was a story for the first 30 games or so, but lately his GAA and Save Percentages are really starting to slide. In fact he's now closer to the middle of the pack amongst NHL goalies than he is to the top.

I imagine that they go with DeSmith Monday night at Madison Square against the Rangers; and come back with Demko the next night against the Islanders.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
good thing the lotto line reunited. let them stay for longer to generate offense. clearly mik/lafftery wasnt cutting it. 2nd line becomes mik/suter/lafftery?

Probably will see:

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser
Kuzmenko - Suter - Mikheyev
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Aman - Lafferty - Hoglander

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
A 7 game Eastern road trip should have been a bit of a hint!

When my life was so much easier, I would have known this. 13 years ago I’d have the damn schedule in my head.

Alas, those days are long gone. I work 3p-3a Thursday thru Saturday, and when I’m not working I’m either cleaning the house, running errands, or god knows what…I’m basically dead to the world. The hockey world at least.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Looks like shoot on Demko on the blocker side from the halfwall on the right wing. He's going to have to practice that. Was it Travis Green who offered this insight?

How does a team who played the night before collapse in the first from exhaustion then find a second a wind in the third?
This is a strange and unsustainable identity, NJ as comeback kings. This only works with great teams who "find a way to win". Absent Jack Hughes NJ, stank to high heaven last night. This wasn't rope a dope, and even if it was it was a very bad plan. This is what you do to a team that played the night before; not the other way around.

It should have been 7-0 coming out of the first and Daws was not the reason as he well proved - especially on Garland's wraparound. Ultimately, for all the chances the Canucks got, for the most part they just got in too close and failed to bury them

Canucks found a way to win. I thought every line played well. The Lotto line was super scary even though Boeser only got one goal that was taken away from him. Guess getting the canopener isn't an excuse for causing goalie interference. Joshua continues to prove he's a beast - such a shocking goal for him to stickhandle in tight like that. Surprisingly, the absence of Zadarov was noticeable

Did we give up on the play with our 3 goal leads? We certainly weren't focussed on backchecking tonight. Thought Demko actually did good for the little action he saw - he didn't fall asleep. Our game tonight was scoring not backchecking but they didn't expect Jersey's belief in a comback.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I’d say he’s the worst contract on the team.
With Myers' contract expiring... that might actually be true.

Just when you think Mikh has it figured out he'll disappear for weeks and you forget he's even on the lineup despite making solid Top 6 money. Him and Garland are just total opposites despite having similar scoring stats and on paper having a similar role.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We absolutely caved NJ and if we won that game 7-2 they could have had no complaints. Excellent performance that should never have been that close. Not a good game for Demko.

Don't know if it's sustainable but the Lotto Line stuff worked for a game.

Thought that was Kuzmenko's best game of the season and he easily could have had 2 or 3 points with some luck/bounces. Career high in SOG.

Soucy picked up right where he left off and looked really solid.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I feel like the major surgery has hampered Mikheyev a bit.

considering how high everyone was on him last year, it seems silly to turn on him now / prefer to keep garland of all people unless we know there was permanent irreparable damage and he’ll never be the same

no training camp is a real thing. remember how bad the entire team was until about march because boudreau burned training camp?

Reactions: arttk and calnuck

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
considering how high everyone was on him last year, it seems silly to turn on him now / prefer to keep garland of all people unless we know there was permanent irreparable damage and he’ll never be the same

no training camp is a real thing. remember how bad the entire team was until about march because boudreau burned training camp?

Usually takes something like a year to 18 months to fully recover from the surgery; physically and mentally.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Demko made a bunch of insane saves intight but let a bunch of clean point shots through. Weird game from him.
He actually does this all the time; plays a good game with some really good saves but then lets in goals that are eminently stoppable by any decent goalie. It is truly frustrating at times.

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
yes it's pretty funny. most announcers use check points like 5 minutes to play in the period or 5 minutes in but Shorty likes his pot reference
I knew it! Ha. For the longest time I wondered if it was just random, but a few games ago he said something like "There's just over 4:20 left in the major penalty." A ridiculous way to describe the situation, and showed real commitment to the bit. Hats off, Shorty.

Reactions: B-rock and nucks88

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Well, the first question should be why a guy was playing meaningless games last year which put him in danger of missing training camp and put him in position to look this bad. Completely dumb, but I'll leave that topic alone for now.

Sticking with your original line of thinking when there is so much more information isn't what I would describe as 'silly'. Sure, last year people preferred Mikheyev to Garland. Since then we've seen Mikheyev suffer a brutal injury and then come back looking like a fairly limited player. His best asset was his speed and there's no guarantee he's that guy again. Meanwhile Garland has been one of the best forwards on the team and has been extremely effective dating back to late last year when he first started playing with Joshua.

The other information we've learned is that this team is a playoff team. The team is trying to compete this year and there is no doubt who is the more effective player right now and that has to factor in way more than banking on what Mikheyev might show next year or the year after.

The last piece of information is that this team is suddenly flush with depth players who need raises. Blueger is a more important of a player than Mikheyev is. Same could be argued for Lafferty & Joshua - or they are at least comparable. Those three players might combine for 7 million bucks on new contracts which would roughly be the same as Mikheyev and two other 4th liners. Who would you rather have?

All that being said - I don't think it matters. The sentiment out there was that the Canucks overpaid for Mikheyev as a free agent as since then his value has only gotten worse. I don't see why a team would take him right now.

And even though this post is all negative, like I said I doubt he's going anywhere so I'm going to try to be optimistic with Mikheyev. I think he's a smart player that at his best has shown he can be a perfectly fine complementary winger in our top six. If he can be even the guy he was last year then that would be a huge boost to this team down the stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad