GDT: GM2: Caps vs Rags - after 7pm EST

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The refs blow the whistle before the series even comes close to being physical. I've never seen a playoff series where the officials have inserted themselves into the game this much.
NHL has sports betting as a big sponsor and the further into the playoffs the Rangers go the more revenue for the league. Panarin's obvious 5 min major for a headshot and saying there was no penalty, is obvious revenge to what Tom Wilson did to Panarin and the Rangers!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
That game really pissed me off. So much horseshit that went right for the Rags, and wrong for the Caps. I am still f***ing angry.

That is all.
Caps need to take 2 at home(which I believe they can). They need to face adversity with the officiating helping the Rangers a lot and stick it the Rangers and the League and win this series in a upset!

The Caps will has to beat the Rangers skill!

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
That game really pissed me off. So much horseshit that went right for the Rags, and wrong for the Caps. I am still f***ing angry.

That is all.
Two points.

1. Yes.

2. I'm impressed that there is no quit. Under-skilled and under-manned, as long as they give this effort, even if they go down 4-0, this is a positive. (But I reserve the right to change my mind if they mail-it-in these last 2 games.)

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
reffing was ugly no doubt about it but let's be honest. we probably split in DC (at best) and rags are finishing it on the first opportunity in msg. i think your optimism about this series stems more from hatred towards the rags and reffs than from an evaluation of our game

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles

That is all.
Me too. That one left a bad taste, esp. around the Panarin hit and the Rangers coming out of it with a PP. Let’s see if he answers bell next game and drops gloves.

Anyway I’ll enjoy Presidents Trophy winners getting bounced by Canes next round. Extremely annoying fanbase

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
Me too. That one left a bad taste, esp. around the Panarin hit and the Rangers coming out of it with a PP. Let’s see if he answers bell next game and drops gloves.

Anyway I’ll enjoy Presidents Trophy winners getting bounced by Canes next round. Extremely annoying fanbase
Agreed. They are a very good team, and if they broke through and got to the finals I wouldn’t be shocked (I do think Carolina should be favored). But with how their fans act you’d think they’d have more than 1 cup in the last 80+ years.

Reactions: PlushMinus

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I've said it few years ago but it's seems the case more and more now. The NHL is looking more like WWE with a rigged scenario. (game management, make up calls, ...)

Why the f*** you don't respect your own rulebook NHL? :facepalm: I've already accepted the fact that there is a different rules in RS and PO but man, but even in the same game there is no consistency. It was already the fact in game 1. If it continue like this we would need to create rulebooks by periods:facepalm:

Panarin should be suspended at least 1 game but we know he won't.

PS : regular season is much better than PO on this board because you read only 5 pages instead 25 with some BS comments. April it's the period when hibernation is over on hfboards.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Frustrating to watch.

They blew the game on stupid penalties and special teams in general.

They show no response to Rangers targeting our rookies (Iorio) and even Panarin goes untouched after that hit on Oshie.

If you are going to take stupid penalties, make them hurt the Rangers. Show a f***ing spine and go after Panarin and take the penalty there.

Soft as butter. Despite icing the personnel that shouldn't be.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Frustrating to watch.

They blew the game on stupid penalties and special teams in general.

They show no response to Rangers targeting our rookies (Iorio) and even Panarin goes untouched after that hit on Oshie.

If you are going to take stupid penalties, make them hurt the Rangers. Show a f***ing spine and go after Panarin and take the penalty there.

Soft as butter. Despite icing the personnel that shouldn't be.

In the moment, I felt the same way, so I think I understand your frustration. They were still trying to win the game (and they nearly came back and tied it). We already know that the refs would have thrown the book at us if one of our players even looked sideways at a Ranger.

I'm sure the whole team took Panarin's number. Hockey players have long memories. There will be a time for payback, it just wasn't that exact moment.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Also, Ovie has been really quiet. I know he can't put the team on his back like he used to, but we really need him in game 3 if we're going to have any hope. I'm an optimist, so I think he comes out flying and has a big game in the next one.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Okay so honest opinions please - no homer glasses allowed.

I have seen a bunch of comments on the mains earlier tonight (and have seen them before as well) and on a few other hockey sites, that Oshie is a dirty player and deserves everything he gets. I've heard him described as "sneaky dirty" and "low key dirty".

I honestly have never seen him do anything particularly dirty in a game, but I don't always notice as much of what happens during a game as a lot of people here. So what do you guys think? Is that bs or what? Are they confusing "competes hard" with "low key dirty"?

Kuz

May 11, 2015

I have seen a bunch of comments on the mains earlier tonight (and have seen them before as well) and on a few other hockey sites, that Oshie is a dirty player and deserves everything he gets. I've heard him described as "sneaky dirty" and "low key dirty".

I honestly have never seen him do anything particularly dirty in a game, but I don't always notice as much of what happens during a game as a lot of people here. So what do others think??
Hes not. He plays hard and hits a lot, but never seen a lot of dirty plays by him.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
In the moment, I felt the same way, so I think I understand your frustration. They were still trying to win the game (and they nearly came back and tied it). We already know that the refs would have thrown the book at us if one of our players even looked sideways at a Ranger.

I'm sure the whole team took Panarin's number. Hockey players have long memories. There will be a time for payback, it just wasn't that exact moment.

Dowd was penalized for daring to touch a NYR player in proximity to the goal less than 3 minutes after the Panarin hit on Oshie. There's no question the Caps were being targeted and marked for retaliation, and they knew it.

After game 1 Wilson said they didn't know how to respond to the officiating, and what was going to result in a penalty vs what wasn't, and it threw them off.

I'll clear it up for him and the rest of the team: the officiating is going to suck, so don't worry about it. Kill the penalty and carry on.

Reactions: Block and pman25

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Also credit where credit is due, I didn’t think LuJo looked that bad
Agree he held his own. Adrenaline goes a long ways so I don't worry about kids called up in the playoffs. I more worry about the vet regulars.

Funny when Rempe saw him it was almost like LuJo's old bully from AHL/high school and punched him.

So, Panarin is going to have to answer for his dirty hit, right?

1713952015924.jpeg

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Oshie does have his counter check. When he feels a hit coming he will hit the defender 1st often catching them off guard. I do not feel this is a dirty play as he has the puck and hits before he gets hit. This is more having a top hockey awareness then being lew key dirty.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Oshie does have his counter check. When he feels a hit coming he will hit the defender 1st often catching them off guard. I do not feel this is a dirty play as he has the puck and hits before he gets hit. This is more having a top hockey awareness then being lew key dirty.
Its not a counter hit IMO - more a targeted hit by an angry Panarin. But yeah the NHL guys on XM91 said it was not a dirty hit but I thought headshots were taken out of the game. Its easy to counter and donk guys in the head with your elbow or back of your helmet and play the innocent victim.

Last edited:

SpaceSpartan

Apr 22, 2024
Now do one for Rempe whose only contribution last night was a penalty.
Matt Rempe is a 4th line plug who has 17 NHL games under his belt, Ovechkin is a superstar who we look to in high stakes situations, I'm not sure that's a fair sentiment. Also, Rempe scored in this series....

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond

I honestly have never seen him do anything particularly dirty in a game, but I don't always notice as much of what happens during a game as a lot of people here. So what do you guys think? Is that bs or what? Are they confusing "competes hard" with "low key dirty"?
They too are wearing their own homer glasses.

Oshie is hound. And yes he was pestering Panarin all game but it wasn’t anything that egregious. Some chippiness and stick stuff.

They missed a high stick from Oshie on Panarin but it’s not like it was intentional. He was just playing Panarin hard, it happens

Far from what I call dirty, he’s just an annoying player to play against. Sometimes it leads to penalties or missed penalties.

I think Panarin is pretty lucky he didn’t catch more of Oshie head on that play. It was definitely retaliatory and Panarin knew what he was doing

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
NHL hates the Caps so much lol. Tom Wilson is one reason, but I also suspect they don't want Ovie (a suspected Putin lover :rolleyes:) to get any more success than he has to.
That no call on Panarin for the Oshie hit just solidifies my opinion, officiating in the last few games of the regular season was also very suspect.

Caps v. Rags/Refs continues

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

There was that recent incident where Oshie appeared to intentionally knee a player in the nards in retaliation while he was being hit against the boards. Some here charitably wrote it off, saying "Well he's constantly off balance, so maybe that was it." But, IIRC, it didn't look good. (In the slow motion replays, at least. I missed that game.)

That was the first time I ever noticed any of those "low-key dirty" comments, so I imagine a bunch of angry haters are desperately hanging on to that?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Matt Rempe is a 4th line plug who has 17 NHL games under his belt, Ovechkin is a superstar who we look to in high stakes situations, I'm not sure that's a fair sentiment. Also, Rempe scored in this series....

NYR fans love Rempe. One of them was in this thread asking how we were going to solve the "Rempe problem".

What problem?

That's my point.

Welcome to the board.

Reactions: PlushMinus

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Close game. A lot of weird calls, NAKs phantom hooks and them both Kreider and Carlson called for run of the mill crosschecks.

Also Panarin throwing his first hit ever into Oshies jaw but an obvious 5 turns into a Rangers pp.

If Ovi played to his standards we would have won this. Im putting responsibility for the next game on him. He's old, but still better than he played today.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
They too are wearing their own homer glasses.

Oshie is hound. And yes he was pestering Panarin all game but it wasn’t anything that egregious. Some chippiness and stick stuff.

They missed a high stick from Oshie on Panarin but it’s not like it was intentional. He was just playing Panarin hard, it happens

Far from what I call dirty, he’s just an annoying player to play against. Sometimes it leads to penalties or missed penalties.

I think Panarin is pretty lucky he didn’t catch more of Oshie head on that play. It was definitely retaliatory and Panarin knew what he was doing
Exactly this. 100% agreed.

Panarin will get his, this series. Especially if a game gets out of hand, score wise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad