GDT: GM#73 LA Kings vs Minnesota Wild @5:00

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Ok, well Kopitar's is an albatross too.
In the larger context of competing for Stanley Cups sooner rather than later, yes.

At some point there will be a rebuild. The Kings are not making the playoffs or contending with Kopitar and Doughty on the roster. They can do that without them on the roster AND get out of the black hole.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It was very intentional. And gifted to them by the new NHL expansion rules set forth for them. We'll see if SEA gets the same

I am sure they will. No new owner is going to buy a franchise guaranteed to suck the first 5 seasons of their existence.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Winger23

May 3, 2007
What's the point. I have already elaborated enough on the necessity of a rebuild.

Vegas' model of roster construction is balance throughout the lineup. Perhaps it's unintentional on their part, but the model is working.

I must have missed when they won a cup or let alone won a playoff series. Little early to say their model works yet isn't it?

Reactions: KingTrouty

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
How does that make sense? Wouldn't that mean that nearly every contract is an albatross then? Brown is earning his pay this season. Next season and the one after that and after that and after that? We'll see but for at least this season he's worth his pay.
I was actually thinking the same but didnt even bother.

Quite some albatrossen in the league.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Do the Kings win a round in the playoffs with their existing model?

Not really. Neither team has won since they handed out all the retirement contracts. That's my point.

The lack of top picks has a bigger effect and ultimately allows other teams to catch up and bypass them. Letting go of top guys instead of paying them is a surefire way to lose, while doling out big contracts at least gives you a chance to extend your window. It’s far from ideal, but it’s proven so far to be the most successful way to win cups while you can.

Many were saying the same about Pittsburgh, how they will never win with the huge money given to Crosby, Malkin, and Letang, yet they won again, twice. You never know what’s going to happen, but for certain paying your top guys big salaries has demonstrated success. Until it’s shown to fail, I think teams will keep doing it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I must have missed when they won a cup or let alone won a playoff series. Little early to say their model works yet isn't it?
Well, they're about to win a division championship. Something the Kings have done once.

You also must have missed where the Kings have finished the last 4 seasons.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The lack of top picks has a bigger effect and ultimately allows other teams to catch up and bypass them. Letting go of top guys instead of paying them is a surefire way to lose, while doling out big contracts at least gives you a chance to extend your window. It’s far from ideal, but it’s proven so far to be the most successful way to win cups while you can.

Many were saying the same about Pittsburgh, how they will never win with the huge money given to Crosby, Malkin, and Letang, yet they won again, twice. You never know what’s going to happen, but for certain paying your top guys big salaries has demonstrated success. Until it’s shown to fail, I think teams will keep doing it.

Mostly because the cap finally went up enough to reduce the percentage of the total cap paid to these players. It also helps that the Pittsburgh players are signed to deals of more than 8 years which reduces their cap hits quite a bit.

Chicago and the Kings have shown under the existing cap structure and contract length limits it fails.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Well, they're about to win a division championship. Something the Kings have done once.

Wow a division banner. Let the parade start. You just got done calling contracts an albatross cause it's all about the playoffs. Vegas could be just like the capitals, great regular season team not built for playoffs.

Not sure why your getting your panties in a wad I think the kings have sucked we just have different ideas on a good model.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley

Let's see what Vegas does in the playoffs before anointing their "method"

It's about winning and losing, mon frere. Vegas has done neither. And it's highly unlikely they win the Stanley Cup this year. So after year one, they will be losers.

What a horrid comparison. Stahp. Use the Penguins or even the Ducks, but not some first year expansion team that was given their roster.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Wow a division banner. Let the parade start. You just got done calling contracts an albatross cause it's all about the playoffs. Vegas could be just like the capitals, great regular season team not built for playoffs.

Not sure why your getting your panties in a wad I think the kings have sucked we just have different ideas on a good model.

Yes, Vegas could be like the Capitols. It wouldn't shock me to see them not get out of the first round this season. Also wouldn't shock me to see them in the Western Conference Final. The Pacific Division is nothing to write home about.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Let's see what Vegas does in the playoffs before anointing their "method"

It's about winning and losing, mon frere. Vegas has done neither. And it's highly unlikely they win the Stanley Cup this year. So after year one, they will be losers.

What a horrid comparison. Stahp. Use the Penguins or even the Ducks, but not some first year expansion team that was given their roster.

Yes, losers but with the opportunity to improve dramatically over the next three seasons. The Kings aren't in the same position.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Are they competing for Stanley Cups with Kopitar?
I mean, sorta? We got 2, and a WCF. And who knows what this Jekyll and Hyde team will do if it makes the post season.

As Rocky said, some days we're forechecking and attacking like 2012, other games we look like poo. Who knows.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
It is premature to call Vegas a "model" of anything yet. But the one thing Vegas is showing tentatively is that having a lineup filled with all second and third line players can give you success in the regular season. Assuming they have a strong performance in the playoffs and don't sink next season (which could happen), Vegas could dispel the idea that you need an elite no. 1 center, defenseman, and goalie to even have a shot at the cup.

I disagree though that the Kings have no shot at being a contender with Kopitar, Doughty and company. I think if we stay the course and keep drafting our number 1 picks, we will slowly infuse the supporting cast necessary for this team to be successful. We are already seeing the benefits of younger players coming into our lineup (Kempe, Iafallo, Amadio, Brodzinkski), and next year we will likely see Vilardi entering our top 6. The Kings could turn things around in 2 years, and I don't see Kopitar and Doughty falling off the map during that time. The key will be getting Kopitar a sniper on his wing. Iafallo has been good this season, but he is more suited in the bottom 6. I think we are fine on defense, but it would be nice to get Voynov back.

Another issue is whether Stevens is the right coach. This team seems to have no identity this year, which is concerning. I can't say who would be a better replacement or what options are available, but something to think about.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I mean, sorta? We got 2, and a WCF. And who knows what this Jekyll and Hyde team will do if it makes the post season.

As Rocky said, some days we're forechecking and attacking like 2012, other games we look like poo. Who knows.
Stop kidding yourself. They haven't been contenders with Kopitar since 2013-14. His current contract isn't going to help the situation along, and signing Doughty to a similar deal will only deepen the effect.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Losers are losers, bro.

Vegas was gifted with their roster, they're gonna lose, and are a lazy comp/contrast to the Kings

But the Kings can somehow magically return to their form in 2013-14? Give it up already.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Stop kidding yourself. They haven't been contenders with Kopitar since 2013-14. His current contract isn't going to help the situation along, and signing Doughty to a similar deal will only deepen the effect.
I'm not kidding myself. I feel the Kings' best chance at another run is with Kopi on the team. Whether it's now or in 3 years, say.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
tumblr_oxfpasbZYt1qfcx4to1_250.gif

Lol, everyone does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad