Post-Game Talk: [GM 73] Canucks defeat Blackhawks | 4-2 | Di Giuseppe, Petterson(2), & Boeser

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
There are like 10 reasons why it’s good to play well right now and one much smaller reason why it’s not but it’s an endless temper tantrum about dropping 2 or 3 spots in the draft. It’s so f***ed up.
I agree and disagree,
There is a clear top eight, some people say top nine in this draft.

Honestly, star players, players that would be top five picks in any other draft.

This organization is pushing the mentality that every game matters, and while I do agree that structure, new system, chemistry, and just an overall sense of positivity is always a good thing, it does hurt, picking up potentially outside of the top eight.

Somethings, we cannot control, for example demko getting healthy, but we could control the amount of starts he has.

Also, the young players could be getting much more ice time, there are things we could change.

That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to win, it’s always nice to win, but at the same time, it does suck.

That’s my thoughts on it

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I agree and disagree,

Honestly, star players, players that would be top five picks in any other draft.

This organization is pushing the mentality that every game matters, and while I do agree that structure, new system, chemistry, and just an overall sense of positivity is always a good thing, it does hurt, picking up potentially outside of the top eight.

Somethings, we cannot control, for example demko getting healthy, but we could control the amount of starts he has.

Also, the young players could be getting much more ice time, there are things we could change.

That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to win, it’s always nice to win, but at the same time, it does suck.

That’s my thoughts on it

The run of play since the trade deadline has generated substantially more increased asset value on guys playing for the NHL team than we've lost in the draft. People get this insane tunnel vision on one thing and just totally ignore the rest of the picture.

And again : drafting 7th just wasn't sustainable. This team was never close to as bad as the actual bad teams in the league and there was always going to be a bounce when the .870 goaltending inevitably corrected.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Dvorsky, Reinbacher, Moore and Danielsson. At least 2 will be available with our pick
I need to watch more danielsaom and dvorsky, I might have tunnel vision with the guys I like

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
The run of play since the trade deadline has generated substantially more increased asset value on guys playing for the NHL team than we've lost in the draft. People get this insane tunnel vision on one thing and just totally ignore the rest of the picture.

And again : drafting 7th just wasn't sustainable. This team was never close to as bad as the actual bad teams in the league and there was always going to be a bounce when the .870 goaltending inevitably corrected.
That’s a fair comment, honestly, I was hoping for 8th, that’s my perfect spot, maybe even ninth if one of my guys drop.

Maybe it’s just because I think there’s a clear top eight this draft, at the end of the day, I’m a diehard Hockey fan, I’m a diehard Canucks fan, I also want what’s best for the team, but I do feel sometimes we need a little bit of pain before some gain

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
how can you watch that game and come away thinking these wins are predictive of the team improving? the canucks were garbage. chicago played like 3 nhlers and schooled the canucks for two periods

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Think things that could’ve been done better is giving Demko a 50/50 spilt and maybe playing some of the young guys more but those guys are really struggling.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I know this was just the Hawks and they currently absolutely suck. The Abbotsford Canucks should beat them.

Having said that, this felt like one of those games that good teams just find a way to win. Tired after playing less than 24 hrs ago, we really didn't look good, get a lucky one, then just show up enough to win.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Terrible game through two periods but the team played well in the 3rd to get the win. Tough game with huge travel on a B2B and only 20 hours between the end of the Dallas game and the start of the Chicago game.

- McDonough didn't play a ton but made a good first impression. It's interesting how some players seem smaller in an NHL jersey and some seem bigger than in looking at highlights from lower levels, and McDonough looks huge and if he was listed at 6'4 220 I wouldn't have questioned that. 6'2 205 an old measurement? Obviously isn't a burner but his skating was maybe a bit better than expected and his motor looked pretty decent. Shame he didn't pot that one great chance. Certainly looks like there's something to work with here.

- thought Ethan Bear played a terrific game, one of his best of the season. Read plays well, generally crisp in everything he did.

- the guys who have been playing a lot (Hughes, Miller, Pettersson) perhaps predictably didn't look great in this one, although Pettersson pulled 2 goals out of his ass in the 3rd.

- Kuzmenko back on PP1 and they instantly score. He should be the 2nd most automatic player on that unit after Hughes.

- Aman/Joshua/Di Giuseppe just keep looking like found money. Another strong game for all three.

- another game for Hronek where he didn't put a foot wrong defensively, although he looked totally out of sorts playing the side boards on the PP. If this is the sort of defensive play we're getting long-term from a guy playing 22-25 minutes/game on the right side, this is the sort of major win the team needed on the blueline to turn some fortunes.

- Rathbone actually has done pretty well in these two games, which is fascinating because he was playing the absolute worst hockey of his career in the AHL in the couple weeks before the recall.

Think things that could’ve been done better is giving Demko a 50/50 spilt and maybe playing some of the young guys more but those guys are really struggling.

I'm not saying that they've done things perfectly.

I agree on Demko and I would have given Delia a few more starts as well.

But I understand what they're trying to do and why and the results so far are encouraging.

The only young player you'd really like to see play more is Podkolzin but he's struggled badly when they've given him more minutes. The next-youngest player in the lineup is Aman and he's been playing a ton and had a huge breakthrough in his game since his recall.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Terrible game through two periods but the team played well in the 3rd to get the win. Tough game with huge travel on a B2B and only 20 hours between the end of the Dallas game and the start of the Chicago game.

- McDonough didn't play a ton but made a good first impression. It's interesting how some players seem smaller in an NHL jersey and some seem bigger than in looking at highlights from lower levels, and McDonough looks huge and if he was listed at 6'4 220 I wouldn't have questioned that. 6'2 205 an old measurement? Obviously isn't a burner but his skating was maybe a bit better than expected and his motor looked pretty decent. Shame he didn't pot that one great chance. Certainly looks like there's something to work with here.

I think that 6'2 205lbs is a measurement from when he was drafted. It seemed small because I remember all the talk about him being hulking from like 3 years ago, I distinctly remember a listing of like 6'3 or 6'4 and 217lbs around that time too

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I agree and disagree,

That’s my thoughts on it
There isn’t a clear top 8 though. Some guys ranked in the mid teens will certainly go in the top 10. There may be a top 5. Maybe. But even then I wouldn’t be shocked if Reinbacher gets taken early.

Reactions: Indiana

Lainestache

Jan 3, 2022
What’s your interest in the Vancouver Canucks? Genuine question. And not telling you not to. :laugh:
There's a reason of liking Hughes and Petterson, also the nuts of the Nucks to keep J.T Miller around while everyone out there (not a canuck fan) is basicly saying that he is a cap dump (i dont think that). And there's also a hidden secret.. Considering i am a Finn i feel ashamed to admit this but.. I loved the Nucks during the Sedin era and i always played Vancouver or Detroit on NHL the videogame. Ever since then i have had this mild crush towards Vancouver Canucks, even after the Sedin era. It's been kind of dark for a while now, but i think Nucks are turning a corner. Hopefully as soon as next season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Even rejuvenated though I don't think he looks all that good. Certainly not close to those heady first seasons. It's time for both sides to move on.

No argument there.

But he's at least been marginally better, has 21 points in 27 games under Tocchet, is going to get to 50+ points this year, and has his +/- up to -15 from bottoming out at -24 a few weeks ago.

I think the chances of moving him this summer have definitely gone up from where they were a couple months ago and if he had continued cratering to a 40-point, -30 season.

Or if we're stuck with him, at least we're sort of building a platform to get better value from him than we got for the 1.5 seasons before Tocchet was hired.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
how can you watch that game and come away thinking these wins are predictive of the team improving? the canucks were garbage. chicago played like 3 nhlers and schooled the canucks for two periods
Back to back early games. Of course they looked flat

Reactions: Indiana

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
There isn’t a clear top 8 though. Some guys ranked in the mid teens will certainly go in the top 10. There may be a top 5. Maybe. But even then I wouldn’t be shocked if Reinbacher gets taken early.
I have rein in my clear top 8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad