Pre-Game Talk: GM#30|Bolts @ ACC|20/3/13|7PM|Time to break this losing streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asif16*

Im scared about Gardiner and Liles getting abused physically though. There both pretty soft on the boards. Dont get me wrong, i want both of them to be playing, but not on the same line. On the bright side, they both will get the puck out free and easy which is nice

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is it a head injury, because his hockey IQ is terrible. Coupled with him being the softest dman on our team, he needs to go.

He really doesn't (and never has) excelled at any part of the game. No more than a bottom pairing guy of which they have many.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Looks like nobody cares that Gardiner is playing tonight :sarcasm:

BFz0OLdCIAAIoox.jpg:large

who is this guy Lebron James? :laugh:

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Is Randy Carlyle drunk when picking his lineup?

Gardiner will be paired with Liles tonight. Really? That sounds incredibly dumb to me. Two guys who concentrate only on playing offense together at the same time?:shakehead

What's next? Orr centering Kessel? Grabovski as a #6 shut-down D? Nothing out of the realm at this point with RC's decisions.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
:facepalm:

What you get is a line that is going to move the puck quite effectively. You are saying this like you don't think either player knows how to play defense...

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
What is so bad about that?

Phaneuf and Gunnar have been very reliable when paired together in the past.

Franson and Fraser have been our most consistent pairing this season.

Gardiner and Liles lacks in physicality. However, their puck-moving ability will be the most potent of all of the pairings.

What pairings would you establish that would be better?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I don't see another way to work it. Neither Liles or Gardiner are fit to play on the top pairing with Phaneuf. You can't break up the Franson/Fraser pairing that has been so successful. I recall Gardiner and Liles playing together early last season, and they looked great. Liles played some of the best hockey of his career during this time last season.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
i took a double take when i saw this. two puck-moving d-man on the same pair? :shakehead

if anything, he's probably experimenting.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Im scared about Gardiner and Liles getting abused physically though. There both pretty soft on the boards. Dont get me wrong, i want both of them to be playing, but not on the same line. On the bright side, they both will get the puck out free and easy which is nice

^^ this

when I read Henny's tweet about them being together I kind of cringed. But at the same time I don't want liles with Phaneuf and Gardiner shouldn't jump into heavy minutes....plus Franny and Fraser can't be split cause they're excellent.

Tough choice but hopefully they are only in the bolts zone.

Myke

Jun 9, 2006
Toronto/Ottawa
www.myke.org
I think it comes down to Carlyle not wanting to change the other pairing but I do feel he is setting these two up for failure when it comes to defensive coverage. We will see how it works but I am skeptical about the defensive effectiveness although with the right forward squad might be an offensive punch.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Franson and Fraser have been very good as a 3rd pairing together and have been able to exploit other teams because they're better then the vast majority of teams 3rd pairings.

People have been screaming for Gunnarson to be put back with Phaneuf so that is another pairing.

Then that leaves Gardiner and Liles so what other option do they have. Against a team with defensive issues like Tampa these two could exploit the other team and I think Carlyle feels Gardiners D has improved because I believe that is why he was kept in the minors for so long.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
I'm sure gardiner and liles will only see the ice against 3rd/4th lines and lots of pp time. They will do fine, I hope haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad