Confirmed with Link: Gleason to TOR for Liles, Robertson

Zezima

Jul 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I have a feeling that you guys ****ed us in this deal. lol. But it's not your GM's fault to seize an opportunity like this. The vast majority of Leaf Nation in our Leafs subforum seems to feel that Tim Gleason is going to be more useful to us than Liles. If Tim Gleason fails to even crack our Top 6, we are even more screwed than we were before. Because a puck-carrying D-Man like Liles is more valuable in the NHL than a washed-up stay-at-home defenseman. I think Liles has Top 4 + PP-1 upside. And he worked the PK-1 for the Canes last game so looks like you can use him on the penalty kill as well. Was bottom pair last game but finished a +2. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up Top 4. We could have got more value than Gleason for Liles I think. And we had to throw in a low-level prospect to sweeten the pot too! Crazy. Gleason was outplayed by Komisarek. KOMISAREK! Why are we repeating past mistakes? We tied up 4.5m in cap space on Komisarek. Gleason's arrival smells like Komisarek v2.0.

Straight up, Gleason has been an at best bottom pairing defenseman since 2010.

Elsker

Jul 3, 2008
Downtown Raleigh
At worst, Carlyle now has defensive injury depth he will play instead of depth he won't. Lile's salary was taking up cap space that can now at least be used on the ice.

Whether they could have gotten more for Liles is unknown. Probably not without salary (and cap) retention.

Gleason is probably the best trade deadline asset, as well, for the long con game. But the deal certainly made sense from the Canes perspective.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Straight up, Gleason has been an at best bottom pairing defenseman since 2010.

He's had several stretches of effectiveness. Gleason-Allen weren't giving up anything when paired together in 11-12. Gleason-Faulk at the beginning of 12-13 were playing great. Given the stories of somewhat serious injuries, the question is if they are the kind that can be recovered from, or if he's forever another 5-6 pylon type that can kill penalties a bit, and maybe hit someone.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
At worst, Carlyle now has defensive injury depth he will play instead of depth he won't. Lile's salary was taking up cap space that can now at least be used on the ice.

Whether they could have gotten more for Liles is unknown. Probably not without salary (and cap) retention.

Yep, makes sense from both sides.

Gleason is probably the best trade deadline asset, as well, for the long con game. But the deal certainly made sense from the Canes perspective.

I don't see Gleason as having any value at the deadline. According to the reports from Dreger, Rutherford was trying to find a taker for Gleason and the Leafs were the only option. If Gleason doesn't turn his game around, it is unlikely there will be any takers at the deadline either (because of his play and salary/contract).

If Gleason does turn it around, then the Leafs aren't going to want to trade him, as he fits a need.

So unlikely he's a trade deadline asset either way. Plus, he still has a full NTC for this year.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
He's had several stretches of effectiveness. Gleason-Allen weren't giving up anything when paired together in 11-12. Gleason-Faulk at the beginning of 12-13 were playing great. Given the stories of somewhat serious injuries, the question is if they are the kind that can be recovered from, or if he's forever another 5-6 pylon type that can kill penalties a bit, and maybe hit someone.

Gleason and Allen were also about the slowest pairing I've ever seen. I was never enamoured with Allen. He was at best a pylon that would sometimes lay the lumber on an opposing player in front of the canes' net, that's just my opinion.

Gleason of 06-07 to say around 11-12 vintage was an effective 2nd pair dman. He was definitely over slotted as a top pairing guy here. He definitely needed a fresh start, and we needed a pp point player who didn't treat the puck like a ticking time bomb. If Liles returns to form-maybe top 4 with 30-40 pts, then I'd say the canes win the trade by a long shot. If Gleason rebounds in maple leaf land to a gritty shutdown guy, then it makes things a little more even. I like the potential of Liles rebounding more than Gleason, but worse case scenario, both teams have a 7th dman and almost identical cap hits for the next 2 seasons. The canes just lucked into another body for the checkers and 100k in cap room.

Elsker

Jul 3, 2008
Downtown Raleigh
I don't see Gleason as having any value at the deadline. According to the reports from Dreger, Rutherford was trying to find a taker for Gleason and the Leafs were the only option. If Gleason doesn't turn his game around, it is unlikely there will be any takers at the deadline either (because of his play and salary/contract).

If Gleason does turn it around, then the Leafs aren't going to want to trade him, as he fits a need.

So unlikely he's a trade deadline asset either way. Plus, he still has a full NTC for this year.

I agree for this season. Toronto and Carolina was proably the only option for either that didn't involve salary retention.

Should have been more specific that I was talking about the last year of their contracts as to who might have deadline value. Certainly not this season, or even next. Very long con, exit strategy thinking only.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Gleason and Allen were also about the slowest pairing I've ever seen. I was never enamoured with Allen. He was at best a pylon that would sometimes lay the lumber on an opposing player in front of the canes' net, that's just my opinion.

Gleason/Allen were incredibly slow. But they took all the d-zone draws against other teams top lines, and didn't give up any goals while they were doing it. The crease was never cleaner, and chipping the puck up the boards and out of the zone was all that was required offensively.

That's the thing with 'pylons', if they start out where they are supposed to be, mobility isn't really an issue.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hey guys how has liles been for you guys so far?

I love this guy and he's a pure class act. I hope he works out for you and it works out for him.

He's been ok for not playing for a while. Good skater, good with the puck and makes some good passes and has a calming effect. Got lost in his own zone a few times, but he's playing with Ryan Murphy which can be challenging on it's own right now as Murphy still makes a lot of rookie mistakes. Overall looks good, but still a little rusty at times and the Canes are giving him sheltered minutes right now (but that could be because he's with Murphy).

The good news is he has been on the ice for 7 of the 9 goals the Canes have scored while he's been here and they have 3 wins in those 3 games. Compare that to the Canes only having 2 wins in 17 games that Gleason has played (which isn't just due to Gleason playing but notable nonetheless).

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hey guys how has liles been for you guys so far?

I love this guy and he's a pure class act. I hope he works out for you and it works out for him.

I like him a lot. Makes good passes out of the zone and seems to always be on the ice when we score. Calms down the PP as well. Definitely needed a player like him more than a Gleason type.

Hope Gleason plays well in TOR.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I'm a little cautious about jumping to love Liles right away just because he's a new face and might make the game a little more exciting. He seems to have some questionable tendencies with pinching and some spotty d-coverage at times. Granted, that's to be expected from a offensive defenseman. Hopefully he'll reign it in a little but I can't complain about how the puck moves with him on the powerplay. He moves the puck very decisively and I love that. Indecisiveness is one thing that makes our powerplay absolute ****. But overall, I can't really complain. He's about exactly what I expected.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Liles seems like a more palatable version of MA Bergeron to me. Overblown criticism toward his defensive acumen, but not a good enough defender to answer that criticism...good on the PP, but not all that great in open ice.

Sasha Cares

28 mph!!!!!!!
Sep 25, 2006
Island of Misfit Toy
Seems like he is Joni light for us. He fills some of the holes we've missed from Joni. It's a very nice fit on our club and I have a feeling he's very good for Murphy and Faulk.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
I wouldn't compare him to Joni much at all other than they are dmen who can skate. JML is much more comfortable passing the puck up the ice than carrying the thing the whole way. JML processes info and makes decisions light years faster than Joni ever did. Its nice to see a dman control the puck and outlet pass the puck up the ice almost immediately. Adding JML and Sekera to Faulk has made us light years harder to play against. That said, I'm not sold on the JML-Murphy pairing just because they are so light. If they don't get hemmed in, they are certainly dangerous in transition.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm a little cautious about jumping to love Liles right away just because he's a new face and might make the game a little more exciting. He seems to have some questionable tendencies with pinching and some spotty d-coverage at times. Granted, that's to be expected from a offensive defenseman. Hopefully he'll reign it in a little but I can't complain about how the puck moves with him on the powerplay. He moves the puck very decisively and I love that. Indecisiveness is one thing that makes our powerplay absolute ****. But overall, I can't really complain. He's about exactly what I expected.

I agree.

I think he'll look better if we can find a way to not pair him with Murphy... He seems like a guy who's more comfortable being the "risk taking, offensive" defenseman on the pairing. I don't know if he's uncomfortable and it's messing with him, or what.

That being said, he's everything he was advertised to be on the PP. And even at even strength he's been better than Gleason.

Clark Gillies

Oct 3, 2006
Carolina
I wouldn't compare him to Joni much at all other than they are dmen who can skate. JML is much more comfortable passing the puck up the ice than carrying the thing the whole way. JML processes info and makes decisions light years faster than Joni ever did. Its nice to see a dman control the puck and outlet pass the puck up the ice almost immediately. Adding JML and Sekera to Faulk has made us light years harder to play against. That said, I'm not sold on the JML-Murphy pairing just because they are so light. If they don't get hemmed in, they are certainly dangerous in transition.

Slow down killer, JML has a long way to go before he should even be compared to Joni in any regard, yet alone saying he is light years above Joni in any regard.

Comparing a true 1st pairing Dman to a borderline 2nd pairing guy.

This is not to knock Liles, he has been everything he was expected to be - not Joni.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Putting him with Murphy is an interesting decision. I assume its to keep Hainsey and bellemore together, which is interesting. Are they protecting bellemore or do they think the chemistry is that special?

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
I didn't say JML was a better player but I do think there are some things he is better at. And with our group of forwards I'd rather have dmen who want to pass it out of the zone than a guy who prefers to lug the puck himself. I also didn't say that JML made the correct decisions just that he is more decisive which I think this team needs.

Joni's tools are much better but he didn't always use them

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Putting him with Murphy is an interesting decision. I assume its to keep Hainsey and bellemore together, which is interesting. Are they protecting bellemore or do they think the chemistry is that special?

Hainsey and JML both play left. The makeup of this roster is tough in that Murphy, Bellemore, Faulk, and Komisarek are the only RHD. So unless someone is playing out of position, the options are pretty limited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad