Confirmed with Link: Gleason to TOR for Liles, Robertson

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
What Cane hasn't had an over zealous pinch lately? Might as well get it out of his system in his first game :laugh:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Was it Liles who abandoned his guy in front to chase a puck he couldn't get to that led to the 2nd goal?

The pinch was a bit of an oops, but it happens. Gerbe showed some serious wheels getting back into that play. Kid can skate.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
Gleason neutered himself promising his wife he wouldn't fight anymore, and wasn't he on that Baby Excuse train a couple seasons ago with Ward? Or was the the Marriage Excuse that supposedly explained why Ruutu came into the season the year before last soft as a marshmallow and sucking.

Anyway, glad he's gone. A self-castrated Gleason has been nothing but mediocre deadwood now for 3 seasons.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Big JML fan here. Sorry to see him go, but he really got screwed over by the Leafs. He is a far superior defenceman to Mark Fraser and perhaps a few other defencemen that played ahead of him while he was sent to the minors. He lacks that rock-em-sock-em game that Randy Carlyle covets. Very capable defenceman, and I don't think we've ever seen a more classy guy. you will absolutely love JML, and I'm glad he'll get a shot in a place he might be appreciated!

I'm taking him in the CBC hockey pool this week. Canes have five games. He looked pretty good tonight, and I think he'll get the chance to establish himself on the second pp unit and will make the most of it.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Gleason neutered himself promising his wife he wouldn't fight anymore, and wasn't he on that Baby Excuse train a couple seasons ago with Ward? Or was the the Marriage Excuse that supposedly explained why Ruutu came into the season the year before last soft as a marshmallow and sucking.

Anyway, glad he's gone. A self-castrated Gleason has been nothing but mediocre deadwood now for 3 seasons.

Gleason got a concussion from a fight this season. He had a pretty epic tilt with Lucic last year. Just trolling?

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
Gleason got a concussion from a fight this season. He had a pretty epic tilt with Lucic last year. Just trolling?

Kind of, but not really. I wouldn't call last year's fight with Lucic "epic" by any stretch of the imagination. Closer to "epic" (even tho it wasn't really either) was the beatdown Chris Neil gave him. He just hasn't been in fighting trim mentally for 3 seasons now. He's worried about getting in trouble with his wife or something. Time for the pasture.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 2h
Tim Gleason outside of the top six at Leafs practice. Way Nonis spoke of him after trade, he'd start as No. 7 and have to earn ice.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
OMG ... I'm laughing so hard. Well, the guy is making $4 million, thanks to JR, so I guess I can't feel too bad for him, but ... ahhahahahahahahha

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I read somewhere that Carlyle wanted to give him some time to get used to Toronto and used to his teammates, used to their system,etc... before throwing him in there. Given that the Leafs have won 3 in a row, I'm not surprised they wouldn't want to change things up right away. When you are winning, you stick with what works.

I did think this quote was funny when he first me the Toronto media.

Tony Ambrogio ‏@SNTonyAmbrogio 42m
Tim Gleason meeting the media: "It's exciting to be here.This is totally different than what I'm used to. There's usually 2 of you."

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Although, this trade is getting weirder and weirder by the minute.

It makes *no* sense to me that Toronto would trade for a guy and give up a prospect (even a marginal one) and put him right in the same spot as the guy they traded. Why do this at all?

And why would Gleason agree to waive his no-trade to go from the press box in Carolina to the press box in Toronto, when he's got a young family and a home in Raleigh?

And how exactly did he go from alternate captain/Chaisson Award winner to *must trade* virtually overnight? It's not the way this franchise normally operates. It's not the way *any* franchise normally operates, especially when it's not over a contract dispute.

I don't get *any* part of this. Generally speaking, when you guys claim there must be a "handshake agreement" or another domino, I think you're just nuts. But there's got to be something else going on here.

WHY did Gleason *have* to get moved immediately? Why did he not invoke his NTC if he wasn't going to a better situation? Why did Toronto make this deal? I've really not heard a good answer to any of those questions.

I see why Carolina did it. It's a good hockey trade for them. And I know that Toronto wanted to get rid of Liles. But it's a lateral move *at best* for them. Instead of an uncomfortable situation with Liles, they have an uncomfortable situation with Gleason and one fewer prospect. It is really making me nuts. It makes *no* sense.

Having said all this, I'm still giddy we don't have Tim Gleason anymore. But I don't like being confused. Something is going to come out at some point that makes this make sense. Or maybe it won't. But there's something going on here that we don't know about.

If only we had a beat writer to get to the bottom of this stuff.

/thinly veiled swipe at Chip

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I guess Gleason can join Cole in just having to get a little dig in on his way out of town.

Only difference is this is a dig at the media, not at the fans. I'm OK with a dig at the media, kindof proves a point in that regard. Hell, for a guy like Semin only having a small media presence is probably a good thing.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I guess Gleason can join Cole in just having to get a little dig in on his way out of town.

Meh..I didn't view it as a dig. To me that's more a reflection on how over the top the Toronto media is than anything else. There are probably 20 other teams that a player would come from and make the same comment.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Only difference is this is a dig at the media, not at the fans. I'm OK with a dig at the media, kindof proves a point in that regard. Hell, for a guy like Semin only having a small media presence is probably a good thing.

Very much this. When Semin's only worry is Tripp trying to speak Russian to him.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
I have a feeling that you guys ****ed us in this deal. lol. But it's not your GM's fault to seize an opportunity like this. The vast majority of Leaf Nation in our Leafs subforum seems to feel that Tim Gleason is going to be more useful to us than Liles. If Tim Gleason fails to even crack our Top 6, we are even more screwed than we were before. Because a puck-carrying D-Man like Liles is more valuable in the NHL than a washed-up stay-at-home defenseman. I think Liles has Top 4 + PP-1 upside. And he worked the PK-1 for the Canes last game so looks like you can use him on the penalty kill as well. Was bottom pair last game but finished a +2. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up Top 4. We could have got more value than Gleason for Liles I think. And we had to throw in a low-level prospect to sweeten the pot too! Crazy. Gleason was outplayed by Komisarek. KOMISAREK! Why are we repeating past mistakes? We tied up 4.5m in cap space on Komisarek. Gleason's arrival smells like Komisarek v2.0.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad