Giveaways stats for McDavid and Draisaitl?

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Draisaitl 78 take aways 84 give aways
Lucic 29 take aways 76 give aways
McDavid 111 take aways 67 take aways
One of these is not like the others.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
other problem with giveaway and takeaway stats is I highly doubt their accuracy. What is a turnover in one building isn’t the same in another. It’s the same thing with hits. I haven’t checked this year, but when you look at home and away splits for some of these stats there is something wonky going on at times with who is deciding what is or isn’t a giveaway/takeaway/hit.
Agreed. A pass directly to the other team should be a giveaway but not take away. Some count it as both others count it as neither (only count give away if there is a take away)

I think it can be only one or the other not both. Someone caused the turnover.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Man. Posts like this remind me of how differently people see the game. I would have guessed, in advance, that Drai leads the team in giveaways. The reason, I hate to say, is simple: with McDavid on the team and with his own line and his contract, he is pressured to make beautiful plays. But he doesn't have McDavid's skill.. in EA Sports terms he's like an 85 passer and McDavid is a 99. So Drai ends up looking bad more often than he should.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
If you look at the players who lead the league in giveaways, the majority of them are elite. Burns, Gaudreau, Subban, Klingberg, Barzal, Karlsson, etc. I wouldn't be too concerned with Drai having high numbers.

McDavid's numbers are pretty insane though considering how often he has the puck on his stick.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
If you look at the players who lead the league in giveaways, the majority of them are elite. Burns, Gaudreau, Subban, Klingberg, Barzal, Karlsson, etc. I wouldn't be too concerned with Drai having high numbers.

McDavid's numbers are pretty insane though considering how often he has the puck on his stick.
McDavid steals the puck at least 2 or 3 times a game this stat is so inaccurate.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
McDavid steals the puck at least 2 or 3 times a game this stat is so inaccurate.
He leads the league in takeaways with 111. Second place has 93.

It's definitely inaccurate though. It's probably similar to hits where each arena tracks them differently. Only using away stats would probably do a better job of getting a more accurate count but it still wouldn't be perfect.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Lucic was comfortably leading the team until he finally got demoted.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

It's partially because to record high giveaways you need to have the puck, those players for the most part are the ones leading their team with the play running through them

Same with hits, I high hit total means you don't have the puck much since you can only legally hit the puck carrier on the other team

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just to follow up what I said about real time stats being unreliable building to building or team to team:

In road games there is a discrepancy of 65 takeaways over an entire season between the 31st team and the 1st team. Colorado is 31st with 222 take aways on the road. Toronto is first with 285.

But then you look at take aways in home games and all of a sudden the numbers go through the roof.

Carolina all of a sudden is first in the league with 652 take aways at home. The Kings are 31st with 136.

Now teams tend to play better at home than away, so you would maybe expect teams would have more takeaways at home in a season than they would on the road.

But 21 teams had more takeaways this season while playing at home than the #1 ranked road team did at takeaways.

Additionally just looking at building to building:

In games in Carolina the Hurricanes were credited with 652 take aways, the other team was credited with 555 take aways.

In games in LA the Kings were credited with 136 takeaways and the other team was credited with 103.

These numbers aren't a case of "take them with a grain of salt." It's a case of them being complete junk. Entirely worthless for any sort of analysis.

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Bad players almost never lead the league in giveaways. It's usually defenseman and forward who play big minutes and get the puck a lot.

Karlsson, Huberdeau, Barzal, Letang, Gaudreau, Klingberg, Subban, Carlson, Ekblad and Burns all are higher on the list than Drai. McDavid is outside the top-50 in the league while having almost 20 more takeaways than any other player in the league

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Omg giveaways stats lol, we are now back in 2012 HFOil

Edit: Good to see people realize how bad giveaway stats are

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Drai has high giveaway stats because his passes to Lucic either miss completely or bounce off the guys stick because he doesn't know how to skate fast or take a pass anymore.
That is just false... Draisaitl makes more than his fair share of dumb passes ie unforced errors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad