TSN: Giordano's Contract Watch - initial ask is $9M/year

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
If Giordano continues to improve, then what? It's a double edged sword. Playing with fire when it comes to our best and most valuable player for short-term gains is a bad move.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If Giordano continues to improve, then what? It's a double edged sword. Playing with fire when it comes to our best and most valuable player for short-term gains is a bad move.

I don't know how he'd improve though really.
Already one of the best defensive dmen, one of the best offensive dmen, an advanced stats friendly dman... not much else he can really improve upon.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
You could make strong arguments for both signing him, and not signing him. I'm not jealous of Treliving right now.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I agree, after seeing what happened this year for UFAs and seeing how little money got handed out this summer, I think Gio would be stupid to not try to sign an extension with Calgary. If the cap stays around the same for the next season, there are going to be very few teams that could fit his kind of cap hit on their budget. His agent may be playing hardball now, but I see as the longer the negotiating goes on, the better the chance the Flames have of getting him for a more reasonable price.

I think the quality of the available UFA's is what kept the market down this year.

A number of teams would have come out of their pants to sign Gio.

Let's face it, the available UFA's stunk this year.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
any word on how these negotiations are going?

I'm assuming it may take longer because making sure Monahan and Gaudreau fit in are more important overall than retaining Gio. And now that the Hamilton/Frolik acquisitions have put us closer to the cap, Treliving's needs to make sure all the pieces will fit.

So he needs to talk to Hudler see what it would take to resign him so we know if we'll be keeping him past this season. Same goes for Russell. There's a lot more factors in play now.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Treliving should trade Russell while his value is high. He'll likely have a similar cap hit to the one Hudler has now. I'm not sure he's worth that tbh.

Exactly, not to mention with prospects like wotherspoon and morrison knocking at the door. While guys like hickey and culkin are right behind. If russell wants to get a ufa payday I dont mind him gone.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
But of we trade Russell now its going to significantly impact the team competitively now. That's the problem. It would leave a glaring hole. So do we trade him and hurt this season of let him walk at the end and get nothing, bit leave the team in the best position for the current year? Because after this last season, trading a valuable player could hurt us in morale as well.

It's not an easy situation.

Monahan For Mayor*

I don't think we move Russell in the off season. I think he could be moved at the deadline IF... We are out of the race. Also if one of our young depth guys steps up throughout the year and can replace him at some extent.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Yeah the problem with moving Russell is that if one of our top 4 guys Goes down he could step in and help patch up that hole, but if we trade him we don't have anyone reliable enough to step in if there is injury

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
I know Brodie received a lot of praise for his play last year which was well deserved. I feel Russell's value is getting slightly short changed. He just does everything so well. If there was a way we could afford him long term I would be thrilled. But seeing as that's likely not possible, it'll be hard losing him. We have a few contracts coming off the books next summer so perhaps he could fit on a short term deal until someone from our D prospects stands out and shows they are ready for the NHL.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Russell wants over 3.5, he'll need to go elsewhere. He probably deserves to be making around 5, but that's what we can afford to pay him. It's a common problem that all good teams have. It's the reason I was so adamant that Bouma should not be overpaid. You have to look at where a player plays and almost put a cap on that position. If you do not do that, you're going to run into a lot of trouble.

We need to be very careful with Gio, signing him to a long term deal over 8 million is going to probably cost us someone like Brodie evtually. You can also say goodbye to Hudler and Russell in the near future.

Aug 3, 2010
Mid-August and radio silence is still being maintained by both camps.

Is no news good news right now?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Mid-August and radio silence is still being maintained by both camps.

Is no news good news right now?

I'd say it's neutral. With the way Treliving negotiates contracts, I don't think we'd be seeing news whether it's going well or poorly, unless there was a major development.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Ferland also doesn't have a contract.

I'd guess things are on a slight hiatus for summer holidays. By the end of August, beginning of September, we'll see both of these contracts done.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Sign Ferly to 6 years at 2 million.

I like it! Think he'll be worth every penny. As for Gio, we're realistically looking at having $31 million + tied up in 5 young, core players, over the next 2 years. Gio has some soul searching to do, he can get what he's asking for as a UFA, but if he wants to stay in Calgary he has to give up term or value. Here's hoping he plays ball and remains a Flame.

Last edited:

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
If Russell wants over 3.5, he'll need to go elsewhere. He probably deserves to be making around 5, but that's what we can afford to pay him. It's a common problem that all good teams have. It's the reason I was so adamant that Bouma should not be overpaid. You have to look at where a player plays and almost put a cap on that position. If you do not do that, you're going to run into a lot of trouble.

We need to be very careful with Gio, signing him to a long term deal over 8 million is going to probably cost us someone like Brodie evtually. You can also say goodbye to Hudler and Russell in the near future.

God I hope the cap hit stays under 7.5 somehow...

Wish You Were Here

Mar 14, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

The Calgary Flames blocked 1557 shots last season which was over 1/3 of the total shots directed at their net.

Kris Russell blocked 283 himself (18% of total).

He will probably be looking for Backlund level money.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Flames app just said Gio signed for 6 years.

EDIT: Just saw new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad