TSN: Giordano's Contract Watch - initial ask is $9M/year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

sources say the initial ask from giordano’s camp, headed by agent ritch winter, is in the neighbourhood of $9 million per season. treliving declined to comment on that dollar value amount. Of course, the first ask is usually quite different from where the two sides eventually settle.
“i would say they’re preliminary talks at this point. I think they’re going well,” giordano said of an extension. “our goal is to have something done before the start of the season. I’ve spent my entire career in calgary and i’d love to stay there. It’s my home.”

on the length of the deal, giordano said he is “realistic” in terms of what he thinks is appropriate. Players can sign a maximum eight-year contract extension. With 510 games played, he has relatively little wear on the tires for a 31-year-old.

Treliving sounded optimistic about the talks, saying they’ve been “really positive” thus far. The deal may be put on the back burner for the next few days with the draft and unrestricted free agency approaching. The earliest giordano can sign an extension is july 1.

“i’ve said it since last season: Signing gio is a big priority for us,” treliving said. “we love what he brings. He is a great person and a great leader for our team. We’re hoping to have something done before camp opens.”

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Once again, I expect 8M per for 5 years. Less than 8M per would be a discount on Giordano's part. Less than 7M per is just unrealistic.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Giordano's initial contract demand is $9M/year

TSN: Giordano's initial ask is for $9 million/year
http://www.tsn.ca/getting-giordano-i...-list-1.316831

Quote:
Sources say the initial ask from Giordano’s camp, headed by agent Ritch Winter, is in the neighbourhood of $9 million per season. Treliving declined to comment on that dollar value amount. Of course, the first ask is usually quite different from where the two sides eventually settle.

An average annual value of $9 million would put Giordano in the top five of the NHL in terms of cap hit, with P.K. Subban the only other defenceman in that group. A strong case could have been made for Giordano to be included among the Norris Trophy finalists this season, even though he missed the final 21 games and Calgary’s two-round playoff run with a bicep injury.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Wow, i'm late to the party... Sorry, I posted the Gio contract news in the "Giordano injury thread"

I'll show myself out... :(

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
4 @ 6.5 per
or
5 @ 6 per

Anything over 7 per season on more than a 4+ year term would simply be to much. I love the guy, but realistically he has not shown the ability to remain healthy over a full year recently, and has less than two full seasons of elite play on his resume. In addition to that he will be 33 years old when his next contract kicks in.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Might as well quote myself from other thread, which is now this thread:scared:
Once again, I expect 8M per for 5 years. Less than 8M per would be a discount on Giordano's part. Less than 7M per is just unrealistic.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I remember when everyone in Calgary was enamoured with Regehr here. Way back, we had a thread on called "Which Flames Core Player will not be around in 5 Years". I said possibly Regehr because of the style he plays, I thought his body may slow down over the next 2-3 upcoming seasons (I was right and he was moved). My post wasn't the most popular at time as he was the anchor to our backend.

Gio plays a very different game than Robyn, but he has had injuries over the last 2-3 seasons where he's missed decent stretches of time. I don't want to play hardball with our captain, I truly do believe he will be effective until later in his 30's. At the same time though, the risk of him missing time in the upcoming seasons is going to increase and it is absolutely a risk that could become a problem for us. A contract like that comes with steep expectations. Our beloved Iginla (or Jiginla) wasn't always feeling the love from the fans towards the end of his tenure here because of his salary. Right now the man (Gio) can do no wrong because his contract is amazing, but you sign him to a 8 million dollar per type of deal and if he misses 20-30 games for consecutive seasons, well suddenly people will turn on him worse than Wideman.

You have to sign him regardless, but it's the nature of pro sports. If Gio gets big money over a 6-7 years, he might not be so beloved in our city in 3-4 seasons. Honestly, if I were Treliving it may be more advantageous for us to get him to sign a 4-5 year deal. Yes the money will be higher, but the flexibility it gives us could be more beneficial long term. 8 years for a 30+ year old is pretty scary.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't look at Gio as any more likely to be injured than anyone else. He got injured by a broken bone on a blocked shot (he isn't even our top shot-blocker), then subsequently on a play where he got can-openered while taking a slapshot. If he'd, for instance, torn his groin last season, then his MCL this season, I'd think differently, but I personally don't put his injury risk any higher than anyone else.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't look at Gio as any more likely to be injured than anyone else. He got injured by a broken bone on a blocked shot (he isn't even our top shot-blocker), then subsequently on a play where he got can-openered while taking a slapshot. If he'd, for instance, torn his groin last season, then his MCL this season, I'd think differently, but I personally don't put his injury risk any higher than anyone else.

I agree that Gio is lucky in that his body should have lots of mileage on it still. Nonetheless, as you get older you're body is more prone to breaking down. I guess, my point is that he is more likely to miss time than he would have say 3-4 years ago, for that reason I'd be leery of giving him a 6-8 year deal. Heck, a lot can in 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad