Seravalli: Giordano to be exposed to Seattle

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
His play has fallen off a cliff in the last two season. Wins Norris at 35 and then his play imploded at warp speed.

I would not take him if i was Seattle even if exposed. He gives off end of career Gonchar vibes and he's very expensive.

Guy turns 38 before the season starts . Not a good investment imho.

'Completely agree. He's 38 and just like keith his play has nosedived and somehow because of nostalgia his last year in his career must be with the Flames
so let's spend assets keeping a player no longer worth his cap hit....

Don't be stupid like the Oilers....

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Which makes it likely that Seattle won't take him as the Flames won't retain

Reactions: Ciao

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
His play has fallen off a cliff in the last two season. Wins Norris at 35 and then his play imploded at warp speed.

I would not take him if i was Seattle even if exposed. He gives off end of career Gonchar vibes and he's very expensive.

Guy turns 38 before the season starts . Not a good investment imho.

He is no longer Norris material but don’t kid yourself. He is still a solid player.Only one year left in the contract. Good candidate for a decent return at the TDL.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He is no longer Norris material but don’t kid yourself. He is still a solid player.Only one year left in the contract. Good candidate for a decent return at the TDL.

There will be better options available from the Flames for an expansion team than a soon to 38 year old who costs nearly 7 million and whose play took a big nosedive the last few seasons.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There will be better options available from the Flames for an expansion team than a soon to 38 year old who costs nearly 7 million and whose play took a big nosedive the last few seasons.
We’ll see. He had one year left and as I said he is still a solid top 4 dman

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

Not really. A nosedive from a Norris winner to a 3/4 guy still makes him the most valuable piece to flip for Seattle. The only other real option (Kylington) went through waivers last year

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Not really. A nosedive from a Norris winner to a 3/4 guy still makes him the most valuable piece to flip for Seattle. The only other real option (Kylington) went through waivers last year
There are folks on our team boards who want Kylington but to me Gio just makes sense. He should help the team when on the ice and should help us more at the TDL when we retain on him and flip him for some assets.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Who is the best exposed forward ? Simon ?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
There are folks on our team boards who want Kylington but to me Gio just makes sense. He should help the team when on the ice and should help us more at the TDL when we retain on him and flip him for some assets.
I agree with you. There is zero chance Seattle doesn't take Giordano if he's exposed and there's no side deal. All these people saying he's a 3/4 are delusional. His coach called him the best player on the team, analytics say him and Tanev when paired together were a top 3 pairing in the league. But some dudes bloodshot drunken eyes think he's a 4. Andersson was the guy who drug Giordano down. You can't put a #5 defenseman on the top pairing against McDavid, Schiefele, Matthews ect and expect it to be successful.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
I mean, Seattle could flip him at trade deadline to a contender for 1st and prospect. Why not.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
....They can't trade him for an asset? He only has one year left, and the Flames are supposed be retooling. Surely somebody would take him with some salary retention.

Seems like a no brainer. 50% salary retention, many teams would want Giordano for a ~3.375 caphit. Maybe ownership has no interest in paying the other 50% just to get some draft picks or whatever the trade value would be.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Seems like a no brainer. 50% salary retention, many teams would want Giordano for a ~3.375 caphit. Maybe ownership has no interest in paying the other 50% just to get some draft picks or whatever the trade value would be.
I think 50% is a bit much, but would someone take him at 25%? That’s a $5,062,500 cap hit.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

If Giordano is being moved, it's probably to make room for someone else. Retaining makes not sense for the Flames. The only reason to retain would be if the strategy is to blow it up now. If Gaudreau and Tkachuk have made it clear they don't want to stick around, that could be a possibility.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If Giordano is being moved, it's probably to make room for someone else. Retaining makes not sense for the Flames. The only reason to retain would be if the strategy is to blow it up now. If Gaudreau and Tkachuk have made it clear they don't want to stick around, that could be a possibility.

They should be retooling/rebuilding. So if they're worried about retaining a ~3.4M caphit next season because they want to spend near the cap to try to contend for a Stanley Cup, then that's a problem.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
They should be retooling/rebuilding. So if they're worried about retaining a ~3.4M caphit next season because they want to spend near the cap to try to contend for a Stanley Cup, then that's a problem.

Either way I don't see ownership paying $3 million to get an extra 3rd out of a Giordano trade. There are very few teams that have available retention spots to take on Giordano...so a trade is probably not happening anyways.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Who is the best exposed forward ? Simon ?
Forwards: Philips, Ryan, Lucic
Defensemen: Giordano, Kylington

Giordano's the best NHL'er of the bunch and it's not particularly close. But if Francis wants potential, then it's Kylington and Philips.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Forwards: Philips, Ryan, Lucic
Defensemen: Giordano, Kylington

Giordano's the best NHL'er of the bunch and it's not particularly close. But if Francis wants potential, then it's Kylington and Philips.
You can probably take Giordano, and flip him at the deadline with 50% retention at the deadline for better futures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad