Seravalli: Giordano to be exposed to Seattle

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Except that Tanev plays great and is a legit #1/2 on any team, and signed to a bargain contract.

Why would the Flames want out of that contract? If they do blow it up, they can trade Tanev at any time.

Please tell me your an oilers fan? If so, criticizing the Flames for taking on older dmen is the very last thing you should do.
You think tanev is a #1/#2 on any team in the league? Gotcha

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Fully expected. One guy on the Flames board (no names mentioned to save embarrassment :naughty:) wanted Tanev exposed but the overwhelming majority felt it would be Gio.
Now to see if Treliving made a side deal to convince Francis to take someone else.... I hope not. The Flames can use the extra $6.75M that losing Gio will give the team and does anyone really think that having Gio in the lineup will make the Flames a SC contender this year? Better to put that $6.75M towards signing Eichel. Wait a year and re-sign Gio for dirt cheap if he's still a serviceable dman.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Because dmen always top out at 24? Lol. The Flames would never expose Andersson.
Some top out at 22. We've had a couple of them. One is my username. I know the Flames won't do it. I would if we aren't going to rebuild.

It seems our fanbase and GM want to half ass this thing. Either rebuild or play for next season. This mushy middle ground is a bad place to be. I'm for the rebuild, but if we aren't doing it then losing Giordano is a bad way to be a playoff team next year.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Some top out at 22. We've had a couple of them. One is my username. I know the Flames won't do it. I would if we aren't going to rebuild.

It seems our fanbase and GM want to half ass this thing. Either rebuild or play for next season. This mushy middle ground is a bad place to be. I'm for the rebuild, but if we aren't doing it then losing Giordano is a bad way to be a playoff team next year.
Having Gio in the lineup won't be the difference between the Flames being or not being a playoff team next year.
Anyways I'm for taking that $6.75M and putting it towards someone who will make the Flames more than just a playoff team.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Having Gio in the lineup won't be the difference between the Flames being or not being a playoff team next year.
Anyways I'm for taking that $6.75M and putting it towards someone who will make the Flames more than just a playoff team.
Who would that be? What defenseman are you getting or are you planning on running out Andersson and Valimaki as your second pairing? One of those players was barely replacement level and the other one was well below it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Who would that be? What defenseman are you getting or are you planning on running out Andersson and Valimaki as your second pairing? One of those players was barely replacement level and the other one was well below it.
I'm talking about Eichel.
As far as the D without Gio, barring a cheap UFA veteran acquisition, I'm thinking of

Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - Andersson
Mackey/Kylington - Stone/Kinnvall?

Yes, neither Andersson or Valimaki had the year we all hoped for but bounce back seasons are common and I'm sure they understand what they have to do to improve... and improve they will playing a whole season for Daryl.

Also, time to give Kylington a solid shot on LD. Time to fish or cut bait with this guy.
Stone is a dependable 3rd liner and can be gotten for cheap $$.
No idea about Kinnvall but he is a 23 year old dman with offensive capabilities (22 pts in 32 games last year) with 3 years experience playing in the SHL. and bonus... he's a RHS.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Lol. Trading Andersson and keeping Giordano is not a move either a rebuilding or competing team makes.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lol. Trading Andersson and keeping Giordano is not a move either a rebuilding or competing team makes.
Who is better right now? I mean I don't even know how this is debatable. Andersson was barely replacement level last year and makes 4.5M.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm talking about Eichel.
As far as the D without Gio, barring a cheap UFA veteran acquisition, I'm thinking of

Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - Andersson
Mackey/Kylington - Stone/Kinnvall?

Yes, neither Andersson or Valimaki had the year we all hoped for but bounce back seasons are common and I'm sure they understand what they have to do to improve... and improve they will playing a whole season for Daryl.

Also, time to give Kylington a solid shot on LD. Time to fish or cut bait with this guy.
Stone is a dependable 3rd liner and can be gotten for cheap $$.
No idea about Kinnvall but he is a 23 year old dman with offensive capabilities (22 pts in 32 games last year) with 3 years experience playing in the SHL. and bonus... he's a RHS.
That's by far the worst blue line the Flames have ever had. Worse than the young guns years. What are you trading for Eichel? GMs have been quoted saying the ask is more than double what they would pay. Ready to give up Tkachuk, #12, 2022 first and Zary for him? It might even cost more than that.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That's by far the worst blue line the Flames have ever had. Worse than the young guns years. What are you trading for Eichel? GMs have been quoted saying the ask is more than double what they would pay. Ready to give up Tkachuk, #12, 2022 first and Zary for him? It might even cost more than that.
What I'm willing to give up is meaningless. Its what Treliving is willing to give up. I've never had a problem with the trades that Treliving has made.... its the expensive UFA's that have been his downfall. So I trust him to make a deal that makes sense or he walks away. This isn't Kenny Holland that we are talking about.
Letting Seattle take Gio is the smart move... unless they can be bribed with a meaningless draft pick to chose someone else and from what I've heard about what Francis asking for as payment to wheel and deal, that ain't gonna happen.

Reactions: viper0220

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
What I'm willing to give up is meaningless. Its what Treliving is willing to give up. I've never had a problem with the trades that Treliving has made.... its the expensive UFA's that have been his downfall. So I trust him to make a deal that makes sense or he walks away. This isn't Kenny Holland that we are talking about.
Letting Seattle take Gio is the smart move... unless they can be bribed with a meaningless draft pick to chose someone else and from what I've heard about what Francis asking for as payment to wheel and deal, that ain't gonna happen.
I get it. I'm on an island here when it comes to this. I was when everyone wanted to dump Brodie too. Losing Giordano unless there is an adequate replacement for him will finish the decent of this franchise. People have no idea how important slotting is. Playing McDavid isn't the same thing as playing Turris.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I get it. I'm on an island here when it comes to this. I was when everyone wanted to dump Brodie too. Losing Giordano unless there is an adequate replacement for him will finish the decent of this franchise. People have no idea how important slotting is. Playing McDavid isn't the same thing as playing Turris.
There are some decent veteran dman that are available this year that will likely be had for less than what we are paying Gio.

2021 NHL Free Agents Tracker

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Martinez and Hamilton are the only all situations top 4 guys available. Think they are coming here?
All the Flames need is a guy to slot into the LD of the 2nd line for a couple of years to give Valimaki and Mackey a little more time to mature and gain experience.
I'm not worried about Andersson. He's a stud and will bounce back. He just had an off year. He's definitely top 4 material... just like Tanev and Hanifin.

Bulitz

Jul 16, 2021
Could the agent for Gio just tell Seattle he will retire if they select him?

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Seattle can make a deal with the Flames and take Giordano just to make another trade to flip him forward after ED to a team really needing experienced LD. If they retain some salary I think return could be great for the team in a building mode. Or trade him later, anyway, they have possibility to choose players with multiple useful ways, not just filling own roster.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Is this really how they're going to lose their franchise icon and captain? I get that he's old now but that'd be a shame.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Descent or ascent at least maybe the Flames pick a direction. Giordano was an absolute nobody when he came in and blossomed. So was TJ Brodie. They didn't get it done here and they'll move on. Great players, likeable people, but the world continues to turn. The sun will rise tomorrow.

You hope you find more risers within your system. That is how a hockey team is supposed to be run. Darryl Sutter has coached up a lot of these risers in his career, my hope is that that continues.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
His play has fallen off a cliff in the last two season. Wins Norris at 35 and then his play imploded at warp speed.

I would not take him if i was Seattle even if exposed. He gives off end of career Gonchar vibes and he's very expensive.

Guy turns 38 before the season starts . Not a good investment imho.

Reactions: Pengu
Sep 13, 2009
Fully expected. One guy on the Flames board (no names mentioned to save embarrassment :naughty:) wanted Tanev exposed but the overwhelming majority felt it would be Gio.
Now to see if Treliving made a side deal to convince Francis to take someone else.... I hope not. The Flames can use the extra $6.75M that losing Gio will give the team and does anyone really think that having Gio in the lineup will make the Flames a SC contender this year? Better to put that $6.75M towards signing Eichel. Wait a year and re-sign Gio for dirt cheap if he's still a serviceable dman.

I want Tanev exposed because even at 38 Giordano > Tanev. Plus, I want to see Gio play his 1000th game (and retire) in Calgary.

Is this really how they're going to lose their franchise icon and captain? I get that he's old now but that'd be a shame.

Real shame. But these are the Calgary FLames after all.

Reactions: jetsforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad