Seravalli: Giordano to be exposed to Seattle

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Seattle selects Giordano (and I believe they would be smart to do so), I wonder if Calgary and Arizona would consider swapping Milan Lucic and Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
If Seattle selects Giordano (and I believe they would be smart to do so), I wonder if Calgary and Arizona would consider swapping Milan Lucic and Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

Dunno if Lucic would waive for Arizona but could definitely see Treliving/Malroney having interest in OEL.

What about

Monahan for Kessel (50% retained)
Dube + Valimaki for Dvorak
Lucic + Kylington for OEL

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Just another star the Flames held for too long and now getting a terrible return/nothing. Iginla all over again.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You can probably take Giordano, and flip him at the deadline with 50% retention at the deadline for better futures.
I suspect thats exactly what will happen. Gio is still a legit top 4 dman. Maybe not 1st line on a lot of clubs but definitely 2nd line. He had a rocky start when he started the season paired with Andersson but once Sutter paired him with Tanev he turned his game around.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just another star the Flames held for too long and now getting a terrible return/nothing. Iginla all over again.

The Flames premise of
"We got close to something a while back, let's see if this group can do it again" is both agitating and infuriating.

Reactions: viper0220

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Always tough to cut loose a lifelong Flame who's also team captain..... just like Iggy.
I was for trading Iggy long before the Flames did but I understand perfectly those that were reluctant to do so. Same holds true for Gio. Heart and soul... heart and soul.... and loyalty. Not everything comes down to dollars and cents.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Always tough to cut loose a lifelong Flame who's also team captain..... just like Iggy.
I was for trading Iggy long before the Flames did but I understand perfectly those that were reluctant to do so. Same holds true for Gio. Heart and soul... heart and soul.... and loyalty. Not everything comes down to dollars and cents.
Problem is, a quality return for a player like that would give us a chance to crawl out of our constant mediocrity. Sometimes tough decisions need to be made, especially in the cap era.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Problem is, a quality return for a player like that would give us a chance to crawl out of our constant mediocrity. Sometimes tough decisions need to be made, especially in the cap era.
I understand what you are saying but to trade someone who has been a member of the Flames for 14+ seasons and captain for 8 of those seasons... I think some people almost forget how long Gio has been a Flame and thats not something that is very common in the NHL these days. As far as I'm concerned trading Gio is only an option if he asks for it or your back is against the wall such as it is in the ED.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
I understand what you are saying but to trade someone who has been a member of the Flames for 14+ seasons and captain for 8 of those seasons... I think some people almost forget how long Gio has been a Flame and thats not something that is very common in the NHL these days. As far as I'm concerned trading Gio is only an option if he asks for it or your back is against the wall such as it is in the ED.
Its not an option anymore but the past few years before the drop off when this team was going nowhere we could have recouped something of value. Now the team is going nowhere and he is being exposed in expansion.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Hell yes.
Thats a lot of extra contract and a lot of extra term to take on.

Lucic is owed $5.25M AAV for the next 2 years.
OEL, who turns 30 tomorrow, is owed $8.25M AAV for the next 6 years.

Do you really think he's worth it? I don't.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Its not an option anymore but the past few years before the drop off when this team was going nowhere we could have recouped something of value. Now the team is going nowhere and he is being exposed in expansion.
It’s a fine line. Team loyalty/Player loyalty vs Trade value/Negotiation leverage. It’s hard to walk that line to the ideal place for all parties. I’m not a Flames fan, but with my team. After the second of the back to back cup wins, it was probably an ideal time and place to trade Malkin. And I say that with him being my favorite player. I hope at this point he retires a Penguin, but for the betterment of the team 2018 would’ve been an ideal place to move him. So I can feel with your opinions and stances but there is a balance. It’s just rarely ever hit on the bullseye.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thats a lot of extra contract and a lot of extra term to take on.

Lucic is owed $5.25M AAV for the next 2 years.
OEL, who turns 30 tomorrow, is owed $8.25M AAV for the next 6 years.

Do you really think he's worth it? I don't.

If Gio gets picked off, yes I would do it.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
It’s a fine line. Team loyalty/Player loyalty vs Trade value/Negotiation leverage. It’s hard to walk that line to the ideal place for all parties. I’m not a Flames fan, but with my team. After the second of the back to back cup wins, it was probably an ideal time and place to trade Malkin. And I say that with him being my favorite player. I hope at this point he retires a Penguin, but for the betterment of the team 2018 would’ve been an ideal place to move him. So I can feel with your opinions and stances but there is a balance. It’s just rarely ever hit on the bullseye.
Difference is Malkin actually accomplished something with you guys. We even let Maccinis leave a few years after he won a Smythe with us. Nowadays you have to move on. There's very few players that stay with one team anymore. When you have so few stars like the Flames you tend to get attached to the ones you have even if its to your detriment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad