Confirmed with Link: Gio Six Year Deal @ 6.75

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd prefer you guys laugh at my stuff...

CMWZCvu.gif

If anyone can toss in a Mr. McMahon, Stacy Keibler setup gif to demonstrate how awesome the Flames are. They get my support, 100%.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
like someone said it sets the bar for Johnny and Monny's contracts. Surely there's an unsaid rule about earning more than your captain.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The odds of either Monahan or Gaudreau getting substantially more than Hamilton are slim. Not unless one wins the Art Ross and the other the Rocket Richard and they lead the Flames to the Cup finals.

Hamilton's contract is also the floor though, unless there's massive amount of regression or a severe injury.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
like someone said it sets the bar for Johnny and Monny's contracts. Surely there's an unsaid rule about earning more than your captain.

I doubt that. Players on the team are making more than Gio already.

If Monny/Johnny sign bridge contracts for 2 years, their next contracts will likely be more than Gio's. Or at least we should hope they are worth more than $6.75M as players getting close to UFA.

If there is a bar, expect the Flames never to keep an elite player.

Gio's contract was lower simply it kicks in when he is 33.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
So it's St Brad right now isn't it... surely this offseason deserves canonization

Though I'm sure some other fanbases would like the other kind.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I doubt that. Players on the team are making more than Gio already.

If Monny/Johnny sign bridge contracts for 2 years, their next contracts will likely be more than Gio's. Or at least we should hope they are worth more than $6.75M as players getting close to UFA.

If there is a bar, expect the Flames never to keep an elite player.

Gio's contract was lower simply it kicks in when he is 33.

Well I heard the Treliving interview, and while he didn't flat out say that no one is going to be signed for more money than Gio, he did admit 100% that the Flames are trying to establish an "internal salary structure".

And I'm not really sure what you point is about that there are others currently on the team making more than Gio, at the time that he signed his current contract, he signed it based on his level of play AT THAT TIME. He has since dramatically increased his level of play and been named our captain, consider the rise in the salary cap, it's not that hard to understand why others are making more than him now.

Treliving did say that every extension is different and that they are going to tackle each extension case by case. In the other thread, I also said that the "Gio cap" will be in effect until someone surpasses him as the top player (so I didn't say it will never happen). While Treliving couldn't admit that no player will ever be paid more than Gio, he said that it sets a standard as to how players are going to be paid. He said that Gio is an elite player at his position, and in his mind had he not been hurt that he would have likely won the Norris. So that kind of tells you what kind of increase in play someone like a Monahan, Gaudreau or Bennett would need to have in order to make more than Gio, we're talking about top 5 finish in points type of season (think Taresenko).

I really do not know why you are so bent out of shape by this. Treliving has signed Brodie, Hamilton and now Gio to fantastic deals. We should be thrilled that this man knows what he is doing, he's set a precedent for cap structure internally and has a knack for getting our core locked up at a discount. If someone is going to be paid more than Gio, that is going to be for a very good reason.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
In the other thread, I also said that the "Gio cap" will be in effect until someone surpasses him as the top player (so I didn't say it will never happen).

So Gio will be paid the most until someone is paid more.

I'm glad that is cleared up.

If Gio remains the Flames highest paid player, the Flames likely won't be winning the Stanley Cup.

Gio is a great player, but his cap hit was kept reasonable because of his age.

If Monny/Johnny/Bennett become the players we hope they to become, they'll deserve more.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So Gio will be paid the most until someone is paid more.

I'm glad that is cleared up.

If Gio remains the Flames highest paid player, the Flames likely won't be winning the Stanley Cup.

Gio is a great player, but his cap hit was kept reasonable because of his age.

If Monny/Johnny/Bennett become the players we hope they to become, they'll deserve more.

I responded to your post initially because you seemed to take issue with what I said. Treliving essentially confirmed what I heard this morning after I made mention of a "Gio Cap" yesterday. You can take a convenient excerpt of my post and ignore my explanation behind it. Nothing you have stated alters my opinion, and you are absolutely entitled to yours, which I think is off base.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I responded to your post initially because you seemed to take issue with what I said. Treliving essentially confirmed what I heard this morning after I made mention of a "Gio Cap" yesterday. You can take a convenient excerpt of my post and ignore my explanation behind it. Nothing you have stated alters my opinion, and you are absolutely entitled to yours, which I think is off base.

I'm not sure if I actually disagree with what you are saying.

It;'s just that saying that Gio's deal sets the "ceiling" for the Flames contracts unless someone is a better player is really a meaningless statement.

Of course it does.

A real "ceiling" would mean that's the high water mark.

Saying that it's the high water mark until someone proves they should make more is really stating the obvious I think.

I"m not sure why this is even an important point. My point was simply we should hope that someone surpasses the Gio deal,, otherwise the Flames may not be doing as well as we hope. I fully expect that Monny/Johnny and Bennet to surpass his deal, and maybe sooner than latter. Especially if they take a 2-year bridge deal, their next contracts should surpass Gio's deal.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
Well I heard the Treliving interview, and while he didn't flat out say that no one is going to be signed for more money than Gio, he did admit 100% that the Flames are trying to establish an "internal salary structure".

And I'm not really sure what you point is about that there are others currently on the team making more than Gio, at the time that he signed his current contract, he signed it based on his level of play AT THAT TIME. He has since dramatically increased his level of play and been named our captain, consider the rise in the salary cap, it's not that hard to understand why others are making more than him now.

Treliving did say that every extension is different and that they are going to tackle each extension case by case. In the other thread, I also said that the "Gio cap" will be in effect until someone surpasses him as the top player (so I didn't say it will never happen). While Treliving couldn't admit that no player will ever be paid more than Gio, he said that it sets a standard as to how players are going to be paid. He said that Gio is an elite player at his position, and in his mind had he not been hurt that he would have likely won the Norris. So that kind of tells you what kind of increase in play someone like a Monahan, Gaudreau or Bennett would need to have in order to make more than Gio, we're talking about top 5 finish in points type of season (think Taresenko).

I really do not know why you are so bent out of shape by this. Treliving has signed Brodie, Hamilton and now Gio to fantastic deals. We should be thrilled that this man knows what he is doing, he's set a precedent for cap structure internally and has a knack for getting our core locked up at a discount. If someone is going to be paid more than Gio, that is going to be for a very good reason.

I really agree with this. As long as Gio is playing at a high level, he is virtually the cap until one of our young guys becomes an absolute game breaker at his position.

But as Slappipappi said, I think this year is clearly a big decider as to where the Gaudreau Monahan deals pan out. I think there are 3 scenarios:

1) We hit absolute rock bottom and finish not really close to a playoff spot. In this case, Monny and Johnny are likely headed towards bridge deals. This could end up paying them more in the end but then we likely have 1-3 years of those gentlemen making cheap dollar which would really give us the chance to insulate a team around them and our D corps. (Regardless I think Johnny will end up signing a longer deal based on his age but who knows in this situation).

2) We either barely miss the playoffs or sneak in similar to this year. Johnny and Monny play quite well, in the same range as last year. Id assume Gaudreau would be in for a longer $5-6.5 contract (similar to the EDM kids). Monahan depending on numbers and because his age, would either still get a bridge deal or a similar structure deal to Johnny.

3) We have a somewhat dominant season and easily make the playoffs. Get to the conference final,
Cup final, or win :yo:. Both (or at least one) of the boys are high in some stats categories and get a lot of attention around the league. In this case, both boys are getting paid. Clearly depends on numbers but Id still say no higher than Gio, but around Gio money for long term deals (7-8 yrs).

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

It;'s just that saying that Gio's deal sets the "ceiling" for the Flames contracts unless someone is a better player is really a meaningless statement.

Of course it does.

Saying that it's the high water mark until someone proves they should make more is really stating the obvious I think.

I"m not sure why this is even an important point. My point was simply we should hope that someone surpasses the Gio deal,, otherwise the Flames may not be doing as well as we hope. I fully expect that Monny/Johnny and Bennet to surpass his deal, and maybe sooner than latter. Especially if they take a 2-year bridge deal, their next contracts should surpass Gio's deal.

It is the current high water mark, and it is important. Regardless of Gio's age, I don't think it's unreasonable at all that the Flames would use his cap hit to form a guideline under which to sign Gaudreau and Monahan long-term. Assuming they both maintain their level of play (at least) next season, there should be no reason for the Flames to push for bridge contracts.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I think Hamilton's contract will be the benchmark for Gaudreau & Monahan's next deals.

That would be even better. If they put up 60+ points again next season, I wouldn't have been at all surprised (or unhappy) to see them get 6.5/year long term. If that number is closer to 6, I'm all for it.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think Gio's contract does set a certain 'threshold' where in order for a player to surpass that caphit, they would need to have an extraordinarily good season. (PPG or 40 Goals or winning a major award).

I fully expect Money and Gaudreau will sign somewhere around the $6M~ mark.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Hamilton's contract will be the benchmark for Gaudreau & Monahan's next deals.
it's really hard to use a defenseman as a benchmark for a forward IMO. High end forwards almost always make more than high end defensemen. I fully expect Gaudreau & Monahan to get an Oiler-esque contract if it's more than a 3 year extension.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Of course it does.

Philosophically, we have different beliefs though. You think it's likely that one of our stars will be paid more than Gio, I don't. While I fully admit it's possible, I don't anticipate it to happen. I used Taresenko as an example, as InfinityIggy worded it, next season either Monahan or Johnny would need to have an extraordinary season to break the 7 million dollar mark. Again is it possible, sure, but I don't expect that happening next year. I see both players getting locked up to Hamilton type of contracts, which stay in line with internal salary structure that Treliving made mention of.

Again, this was key for me. Prior to Gio getting injured last season, Treliving flat out said that he thought he was the leading candidate for the Norris. He said he's elite at his position. To me, that says someone like Gaudreau would need a top 5-7 finish in points and would have to crack the 80 point mark to be considered worthy of signing a deal more than Gio.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
If any of you guys have Instagram, be sure to check out the account @jkeatz33... He is Gio's and Jooris' trainer during the summer and he posted many interesting videos of their workouts.

Ps: Gio's bicep looks more than fine :)

Monahan For Mayor*

If any of you guys have Instagram, be sure to check out the account @jkeatz33... He is Gio's and Jooris' trainer during the summer and he posted many interesting videos of their workouts.

Ps: Gio's bicep looks more than fine :)

Thanks for the share. Did the Captain even take any time off wow. Guys been in the gym everyday for 3 months already lol.

Aug 3, 2010
That work ethic is what got him into the NHL, don't think he'll drop that mentality any time soon. He trains and plays with a certain level of desperation that you just don't see in older players who have played in the NHL since their early/mid-twenties.

I think Giordano is looking to maximize what few years he has in this league as best as he can, in the only way he knows how - working harder than every other player, seeing as how everyone is his competitor regardless if he happens to share a goal with 30 other guys on his team for 8 months a year. The reality is that if he wants to keep playing pro hockey in North America he has to beat out every other defenceman for a spot, and Hartley's "Always Earned" mantra fuels that fear.

It's a good problem to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad