Confirmed with Link: Gio Six Year Deal @ 6.75

Aug 3, 2010
That contract is remarkable if the details about the NTC are true. A modified 10-team NTC starting '20-'21 is great - it's basically not a concern at all seeing as he'll want to go to a contender and there'll be 20 teams he could be traded to. Even past his prime, it guarantees management will have at least a chance to move him instead of having to eat his entire contract in declining years.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Wow this is like the ideal contract for everyone!! My god!! Treliving is love, Treliving is Life!!!!!!
This is some great news! We have our captain locked up for the forseeable future.
Now with Gio taking a 'hometown discount', maybe that means Money and Johnny will take some pay cuts as well :D
Since last year it has been an awesome time to be a Flames fan!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hahaha thats fantastic.

I imagine 100TG's is as happy as I am now that we don't have to deal with Gio proposals anymore.
That and when I suggested 6x6.5 I was laughed at. Who laughing now!

/\ 80% chance 100TG has no idea who that is or what you guys are talking about. :popcorn:

I'm still stunned that this got done out of nowhere this morning, and was once again good news. Literally everything is coming up Milhouse this summer.
I really have no idea, I assume it's a Harry Potter reference and while I have watched them now, I don't think I paid a ton of attention :laugh:

/\ 100% chance 100TG has no idea who that is or what yer talking about. :popcorn:

Sometimes I just want to grab you by your neck and scream "why you little"

instead I will settle for laughing at your blog
Simpsons-nelson-ha-ha-93-p-672x480.jpg

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Years 1 - 3: Great deal
+
Year 4: Good deal
+
Year 5: overpaid veteran dman
+
Year 6: albatross contract
=
Very good contract bordering on excellent in relation to all NHL contracts as all players end up overpaid on long term deals anyways.

Congrats to Brad, Gio and anything else Flames!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Years 1 - 3: Great deal
+
Year 4: Good deal
+
Year 5: overpaid veteran dman
+
Year 6: albatross contract
=
Very good contract bordering on excellent in relation to all NHL contracts as all players end up overpaid on long term deals anyways.

Congrats to Brad, Gio and anything else Flames!
It's a little early to be suggesting anything about years 5 and 6. With Gio being a late bloomer and missing time with non-recurring injuries, his body may not be as beaten up as most veterans.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I mean, who else am I going to be stupidly ecstatic about The Force Awakens on a hockey board with?

I've never been more excited for a movie than for Force Awakens. Already got plans to see it 3 times opening day.

Also yeah I think with Hamilton now we can try to knock a few minutes off Gios ice time

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Now looking back in hindsight it was probably good that Gio got injured because if he didn't he probably would've won the Norris and we would've had to pay him more on this contract.

Pekkas Purse

Feb 2, 2010
For those wondering, these are the injuries sustained by Mark Giordano over the past number of years:

March - May 2015 - torn bicep (21 games)
October - December 2013 - broken ankle (18 games)
November 2011 - January 2012 - torn hamstring (21 games)
February - April 2009 - Shoulder surgery (24 games)

What is good: it's not a recurring thing, like a concussion or something. It's also what has probably kept the cap hit down somewhat.

What is bad: he can't continue to play that reckless into his late 30s.

This is what the real story is multiply the contract by actual games played and its more like $8.5mil.
If he doesn't continue to play the way he has he is just an above average $3-3.5 player. I don't like this deal. Whats not to love about this guy, but it seems like he is being paid for past performance and not future results considering he is made of glass.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
This contract for sure has the potential to be bad. I doubt it though with the way Gio's entire career has been overcoming the odds.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
This is what the real story is multiply the contract by actual games played and its more like $8.5mil.
If he doesn't continue to play the way he has he is just an above average $3-3.5 player. I don't like this deal. Whats not to love about this guy, but it seems like he is being paid for past performance and not future results considering he is made of glass.

I disagree. Giordano playing without the edge would still be worth 6 million, if not more. He's still well above average to elite in most respects.

I've never been more excited for a movie than for Force Awakens. Already got plans to see it 3 times opening day.

Also yeah I think with Hamilton now we can try to knock a few minutes off Gios ice time

Same here. I actually pretty much squealed like a little girl when the teaser was first released.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
That and when I suggested 6x6.5 I was laughed at. Who laughing now!

I really have no idea, I assume it's a Harry Potter reference and while I have watched them now, I don't think I paid a ton of attention :laugh:

Sometimes I just want to grab you by your neck and scream "why you little"

instead I will settle for laughing at your blog

And I’ll laugh at your writing on II’s blog!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad