Post-Game Talk: Gio OT Winner!! TOR 5: 4 Senators

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Most of this fanbase didn't even wanna add a D at the deadline. Thank god management thought differently.

I have to admit, I was one of those sitting on the fence as to which direction we should go at the TDL. The add to D has been to our benefit, but surprisingly, to me at least, our offense has kicked up a gear since the addition of Gio. We've scored 57 goals the last 11 games and the points our D have contributed during those games is up to 37/8? That's a substantial uptick in production and makes us more dangerous.

Reactions: Optimist

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Gio as Leaf: 13gl/51pt pace

Good Italian boy

goggles-paisano-the-flintstones.gif
Lmao is that Goggles Paesano? Beauty

Reactions: klmdg

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Most of this fanbase didn't even wanna add a D at the deadline. Thank god management thought differently.
No, I think most of the fanbase agreed they needed a D, plus a G and an F, but the quality of player compared to the price it would cost and the fit, were all being taken into consideration.

Reactions: BayStBullies

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I have to admit, I was one of those sitting on the fence as to which direction we should go at the TDL. The add to D has been to our benefit, but surprisingly, to me at least, our offense has kicked up a gear since the addition of Gio. We've scored 57 goals the last 11 games and the points our D have contributed during those games is up to 37/8? That's a substantial uptick in production and makes us more dangerous.
Well to be honest, I wasn't entirely thrilled about bringing another goalie in and was glad they didn't waste assets on one.. but looking back I think it would have been the right move. I think Dubas still had a very solid deadline.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
The NHL has to be the softest league where many players actively try to avoid big market teams and situations and if they somehow end up in a big market, they wilt like ten day old lettuce.
Some people can't handle the pressure, nothing wrong with that.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I know it's not the place for this but Ritchie just scored his 11th of the season 30 seconds into the game. I think the guy just couldn't perform under pressure.

He.was miscast due to the loss of Hyman and need for another forechecking player on their line.

If in the offseason Keefe and Dunas knew that they had their 1st line winger in Bunting, Ritchie isn't picked up (someone else is at lower AAV), the negotiation is different and he comes in as 3rd or 4th liner at lower cap hit, or, he signs elsewhere not wanting that situation.

As it were, getting Boosh was more pressing than a 3rd or 4th liner who can hit and get to the dirty areas. In a perfect world, the Leafs have them both and the team is a more interesting configuration today.

I was one of the few who didn't necessarily want him gone. He had some flaws, effort being one of them on some nights. He also had qualifies that could be valuable in a couple of weeks.

$2.5M A year isn't an excessive cap hit if he is willing to get his hands dirty when it matters. Water under the bridge now. A defenseman like Lybushkin was a more pressing need anyways.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Källgren wasn’t great but the breakaway save in OT was big time. Marner and bunting seem to be racking up the goals on the 1st line suddenly. The PP is still ice cold lately.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I know it's not the place for this but Ritchie just scored his 11th of the season 30 seconds into the game. I think the guy just couldn't perform under pressure.
Good for Nick Ritchie.

He cleared waivers on Jan. 7, 2022. Maybe he heard a wake-up call. The sound of his NHL career flying out the window, because nobody wanted his contract then.

It's not too bad that the Leafs were able to get Arizona to pick up the balance of his contract.

Maybe if he keeps scoring he'll get another contract , too.:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad