Getzlaf + Kucherov vs Thornton + Pastrnak

Which duo would dominate more?

• Total voters

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Curious but why these duos? What do they have in common?

I think I’ll go with Getzlaf and Kucherov.

Thornton at his best was probably a level above Getzlaf but Getzlaf was a significantly better playoff performer. Both huge, primarily playmaking, and defensively sound centers. That said, Thornton was still a better player than Getzlaf overall.

Kucherov has been the 2nd or 3rd best offensive player in the league for a number of years and arguably the best playoff performer of the past decade. Pastrnak is definitely no slouch but I think it’s clearly Kucherov here.

Last edited:

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Curious but why these duos? What do they have in common?

I think I’ll go with Getzlaf and Kucherov.

Thornton at his best was probably a level above Getzlaf but Getzlaf was a significantly better playoff performer. Both huge, primarily playmaking, and defensively sound centers. That said, Thornton was still a better player than Getzlaf overall.

Kucherov has be the 2nd or 3rd best offensive player in the league for a number of years and arguably the best playoff performer of the past decade. Pastrnak is definitely no slouch but I think it’s clearly Kucherov here.
Thanks for the question , Montreal Shadow

I chose these two players because I figured it was a even balanced matchup and I wanted to bring old two great centers from the Cali teams back and I picked two top current wingers to match them

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Voted for Thornton and Pasta

I think that

Kucherov >=Thornton > Pasta > Getzlaf

And also, Thornton and Pasta complete each other very well

Reactions: abo9 and Play

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Regular season: Jumbo - Pasta
Debatable who is the better player between Jumbo and Kuch but do prefer Pasta to Getzlaf

Playoffs: Kuch - Getzlaf
Kuch is clearly the best playoff performer of the lot by a notable amount and that tips the scales for me

Reactions: Play

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Great poll.

I choose the 2nd group as Thornton is easily the better center and comparable to Kucherov. I also see the chemistry being better as it’s a more traditional playmaker and sniper duo.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Getzlaf and Kucherov for me as I feel Thornton never really elevated his game like he should have in the playoffs.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I think Kuch + Getz are better as the sum of their parts because Kuch = Jumbo for regular season peak + basically the same signature season (125 vs 128 points, Hart + Ross in both cases) but Kucherov is having a second signature season and blows Thornton away in playoffs.

Pasta likely has the better career on paper but Getz is the guy I build a franchise around in actuality. Big, mean, skilled #1 C.

In terms of actual on ice fit, I think Joe feeding Pasta makes way more sense than two puck dominant players who both look to pass first.

So overall as a pair I like Kuch and Getz and as an actual fit on a line I like Pasta/Joe.

Really don't know how to vote here.

It's a tough poll.

Reactions: Regal and Play

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
It’s interesting that Jumbo is getting a bit more ‘love’ than Getzlaf. I think taking out my bias as a Ducks fan I would take Getz over Jumbo every day of the week.

I mean, Thornton's career is clearly better. He has the Hart and Art Ross and was a top five scorer a number of times (more often than Getz). He was a dominant centre for a long time and he had all the attributes and abilities that Getzlaf possessed (size, strength, reach, playmaking ability, vision, two-way play).

If we're choosing one for a playoff run, though, Getz probably is the better choice.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I mean, Thornton's career is clearly better. He has the Hart and Art Ross and was a top five scorer a number of times (more often than Getz). He was a dominant centre for a long time and he had all the attributes and abilities that Getzlaf possessed (size, strength, reach, playmaking ability, vision, two-way play).

If we're choosing one for a playoff run, though, Getz probably is the better choice.
Your profile picture.. its amazing. I'm not sure why i find it so intriguing but it really caught my eye

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
@MS I know we've had our hiccups but I would love your analysis on this , and I'm honestly trying to be more of a quality poster now

Thanks

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Kuch + Getz are better as the sum of their parts because Kuch = Jumbo for regular season peak + basically the same signature season (125 vs 128 points, Hart + Ross in both cases) but Kucherov is having a second signature season and blows Thornton away in playoffs.

Pasta likely has the better career on paper but Getz is the guy I build a franchise around in actuality. Big, mean, skilled #1 C.

In terms of actual on ice fit, I think Joe feeding Pasta makes way more sense than two puck dominant players who both look to pass first.

So overall as a pair I like Kuch and Getz and as an actual fit on a line I like Pasta/Joe.

Really don't know how to vote here.

It's a tough poll.

That’s basically what I was thinking as well

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
I honestly don’t know. Which means it’s a pretty solid poll. Well done @Coffee.

I think I’d go with Jumbo and Pasta just because I like them more together. Thornton setting up pasta would be nuts

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think the gap between Thornton and Getzlaf is bigger than the one between Kucherov and Pastrnak.

Thornton + Pasta for me.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Kinda surprised people are taking Getzlaf and Kucherov over Thornton and Pasta.

Kucherov peak season 128 pts
Pasta peak season 112 pts.

Getzlaf peak season 91 pts.
Thornton peak season 125 pts.

Kucherov has played with top tier offensive talent. Pasta never has.

There’s a lot more to it than just career highs. League scoring makes the gap between Thornton and Getzlaf look bigger than it was. Getzlaf finished 2nd in league scoring in his best year. Thornton was still the better regular season player, but he was never able to perform in the playoffs like his regular seasons, while Getzlaf’s numbers are much better there.

Kucherov also has the playoff advantage over Pasta. Plus his 18-19 season was lower scoring than last year, and this year he has a considerable advantage as well. Bergeron and Marchand were great linemates. Regular season is closer here but still Kucherov. And playoffs is Kucherov by a larger gap.

Thornton and Pasta probably work better as a duo, and if it’s the regular season, probably a better combo overall. Taking two of them to play either together or on separate lines in the playoffs though, and it’s pretty hard not to take Getzlaf and Kucherov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad