Getzlaf just signed an 8 year extension

• Thread starter Captain Mittens*
  • Start date

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
You want a "solid defender and a #2C" and you don't think Lindholm, Etem, Vatanen and at least one #1 pick will be asked for? With the possible exception of DSP everything else you're offering (player wise) is table scraps.

Uhhh I clearly included the 1st rounder and I don't think those are table scraps. The 1st plus DSP is enough for a rental 2C and the rest is definitely enough for a Regehr type defender.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Uhhh I clearly included the 1st rounder and I don't think those are table scraps. The 1st plus DSP is enough for a rental 2C and the rest is definitely enough for a Regehr type defender.

I think that's highly debateable (and at this point in time the rest really are table scraps) but even if it could happen I have no interest in losing Perry (when he walks), a 1st, DSP, and your rental #2C (when he walks) for a maybe shot at the Cup.

I might understand keeping Perry and going for it if things really look good at the deadline, but I have no interest in buying more rentals and being left with nothing at season's end. Not for a budget team that can't just go out and buy what it needs.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
*strolls on in* >.>

#1 center and captain locked up? Good for me. Glad to see Getzy stay for the longterm, not that I had any doubts on him re-signing.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Man, that's a huge contract to live up to. He's pretty much doing it this year... but if Perry doesn't get resigned this is going to stink big time. I'll be a little surprised if Perry isn't resigned by the end of this season. It's not like New York has the dough to go out and buy him. Would Toronto throw 8 mill at him?

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Great to get the captain locked up.

TBH I don't like 8 years, but that's what they agreed to so that's what he was going to get.

I was selfishly hoping for a little less (8 million), but this is still a hometown discount. Market value would have been 8.5 to 9.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Also from Perry via Stephens "It’s one of those things where I’ll wait and see what happens. I'm not going to change my answer just because he signed."

Change his answer?

Leaf fan here, just wanted to give my two cents on this :p To me he's saying Getzlaf re-signing will be a factor in the grand scheme of things but it won't be a determining one. He's pretty much saying that he's looking out for himself and he's going to wait and see (wait to hit free agency) IMO I think he's gone, there is nothing in his quotes lately that makes me think that he's anywhere close to re-signing. He sounds like a guy who is resigned to the fact that he's going to the market come July.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
If Perry is gone, it's not gonna be about money (well not first and foremost anyways). If he wants to be somewhere else, there's really nothing Murray can do about it, other than trade him and get some assets in return.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I really hope Getzlaf plays the upcoming years like it's contract year every year ;) but I'm glad to see him signed...I have a feeling Perry is gone and imo he has to get moved in trade deadline...even though the team is winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad