Getzlaf just signed an 8 year extension

• Thread starter Captain Mittens*
  • Start date

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Good job locking Getzlaf up longterm.

Now get Perry done, so he doesn't come to the Eastern Conference.
There will be a lot of crying in the Toronto press and on Leaf message boards:D

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
If you think about it 1/3 rd of the teams don't even have true legitimate #1 centers.

Gotta pay the market rate for a guy like Getzlaf..

Pretty amazing the 3 California teams have 3 of the top centers in the game. And teams in Canada, for the most part are lacking in that area

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
I can't believe how stupid most of the posters on the main board are with regards to actual salary and cap hit. Players don't give a **** about cap hit - they care about their actual salaries.

I can't wait to see some of the reactions come July 5th.

I think it's funny most of them are either Wings or Pens fans. Wait until they see Malkin's next contract. :laugh:

Papaspud

Vatman
Dec 19, 2008
To the rescue
From the Globe and Mail, linked off Yahoo.com:

• Ryan Getzlaf on Corey Perry staying with the Anaheim Ducks: “I’ve wanted to be here and I’ve wanted Corey to be here. We’ve had lots of conversations and me and Perrs will talk along the way here I’m sure. Hopefully, they can get it done. I just want to worry about our game going forward. What they can do with Perrs is up to them.†[Globe & Mail]

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I'm fine with how much Getzy is getting for a few reason. First off, he's earned it. Look back at his numbers over the last five seasons and he should have been making even more money than he was. Secondly you have to ask yourself how much is this player worth to keep around. I'm fine with Getzy being among the highest paid players because he's among the best players in the league (now that he's actually playing like it again). We had to retain one of him or Perry and frankly I want the guy who wants to be here.

Perry clearly wants out, for whatever reason and that's fine he's earn that too. I just hope Bob has the balls and the brains to trade him this season and get a player in return that can contribute right away.

I completely disagree with this line of thought.

IMO, without Perry, we have no chance at the cup. I say make some additions at the deadline and try for the cup. If we lose Perry for nothing, so be it.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

IMO, without Perry, we have no chance at the cup. I say make some additions at the deadline and try for the cup. If we lose Perry for nothing, so be it.

We can't make additions unless Perry stays. If he's leaving and they keep him for a Cup run, they can't afford to be losing any more futures as that's how they'll replace him.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

I disagree. If the team was elite, then I would be with you, but this d-corps is not cup level in my opinion.

If perry isn't signed, I move him for the roster player, prospect, 1st shlop, and try and flp the first for a dman. Losing a franchise player for nothing sets budget teams back years.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
We can't make additions unless Perry stays. If he's leaving and they keep him for a Cup run, they can't afford to be losing any more futures as that's how they'll replace him.

Honestly, I don't see it that way.

If BM feels this team has what it takes to make a cup run, with the exception of a few pieces, I'm of the mind to take that risk.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Congrats Duck fans for locking up one of the NHL's top 10 players. As a Coyote fan and after seeing him 3 straight games in the past week, it's clear the guy is a premier talent who seemingly gets better the more you see of him.

kicken

Mar 9, 2011
Stockholm
I think this is a great deal. As many already have pointed out, we would've never gotten a good enough replacement. Getzlaf is our captain, our franchise player and #1 center. They don't grow on trees. 8.25 is a hefty price, but unless he has a season like last year, it's well spent money.

I'm highly optimistical about Perry. If the Ducks as an organization wants to show intent and ambition, they will pay whatever he's worth. If we want to compete, not only this year, but in the next 3-4 years, we have to sign him up. It doesn't matter if he'd cost 9.5m or anything similar. You can't lose a player as good as him.

Teemu might retire in the summer (very likely, even though I've said that for 5+ years...) and losing Perry, Teemu and probably Ryan as well (at some point), we have to keep the ones we can keep.

Once Teemu retires I think we'll move Bobby on as well to free up cap space. I wouldn't like it too much, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. And once our youngsters are ready, I'm sure they will be ready to make that step up to the 1st or 2nd line. They are definitely not ready right now, but they will be in less than a couple of years.

Intent, ambition and competing for the cup. That's three of the biggest reasons why I'd keep Perry right now.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Honestly, I don't see it that way.

If BM feels this team has what it takes to make a cup run, with the exception of a few pieces, I'm of the mind to take that risk.

And then we have the last 5 years all over again. I doubt management wants to be paying Getzlaf all that money to be sitting home in April.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA

If Perry or his agent indicate that either 1) he's going to test free agency, or 2) he wants more money than Getzlaf, then Murray has to try and move him if a good deal is available (hopefully from the Eastern Conference).

douglast5

PS3 GMC Comish
Sep 14, 2012
hfboards.hockeysfuture.com
Just some stuff I have done to compare Getzlaf to other superstar players, using the same CBA rules.

Getzlaf 8 years (8.25m)
Crosby 8 years (13m cap hit)
Ovechkin 8 years (15.5m)
Kovalchuck 8 years (12.5m)
Parise 7 years (14m)
Suter 7 years (14m)
Weber 7 years (15.7m)

If all these players signed today, using current $values for players Getzlaf would be a huge bargain compared to other top players. He is also less of a burden on Anaheims owners.

Lets say Perry signs same deal. Anaheim will pay them roughly 16.5m salary next year (33m after 2), with a 16.5m cap hit.

Minnesotta will pay Parise and Suter 44m next year (88m after 2) with a 15m cap hit. While there cap is lower, Anaheim is actually paying LESS then they are for those two.

This allows the Owners to go closer to the cap limit if they are only actually paying $64m for the team. Where wild could be sitting at $40m cap and paying 70m+ actual salary and cant afford to fill cap space.

Now for Perry with new CBA he is more likely to sign with Anaheim. With a new team he can only get 7 years, with Getzlafs 66m that is 9.4m cap hit. He would probably take more then that so he could be over 10m+ in cap hit, over %15 of a teams cap on one player. Anaheim can always offer more money because they can get a extra year in the deal.

This is the new age, no more 100m+ contracts that only use 7m a year cap. Teams will only be able to hold a couple top players, and more teams can use the full cap space.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Reading that main board thread makes by brain hurt.

No wonder we had a housing bubble driven by interest only ARM loans, people are morons that don't understand math.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I just realized that Getzlaf has 499 career points. It would be pretty cool if he got his 500th career point the day he signed his contract

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
And then we have the last 5 years all over again. I doubt management wants to be paying Getzlaf all that money to be sitting home in April.

I understand your standpoint, I just don't see it that way.

The way I see it, however, is you have so few times to really compete for a cup, and I think without Perry, we aren't going to have a chance.

If the chance is there, you go for broke IMO.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
From the Globe and Mail, linked off Yahoo.com:

• Ryan Getzlaf on Corey Perry staying with the Anaheim Ducks: “I’ve wanted to be here and I’ve wanted Corey to be here. We’ve had lots of conversations and me and Perrs will talk along the way here I’m sure. Hopefully, they can get it done. I just want to worry about our game going forward. What they can do with Perrs is up to them.†[Globe & Mail]

Sounds like Perry is staying. Selannes comments about perry were similar to getz.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I understand your standpoint, I just don't see it that way.

The way I see it, however, is you have so few times to really compete for a cup, and I think without Perry, we aren't going to have a chance.

If the chance is there, you go for broke IMO.

The only issue I have with going for it this year is the blueline. We lack a legitimate number one defenseman. Beauchemin has been great but I'm not sure how long he can sustain his current level of play for and Fowler isn't quite there yet. Outside of the Hurricanes who were absolutely stacked up front I can't think of a single team that's won a cup without a legitimate number one guy.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I'm just glad he's signed. The Ducks had to keep him, basically no matter the costs. If he plays like he's doing now, or any season before last year, it's not a bad contract. Hopefully his actually salary is a bit lower in the last years of the contract, though.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

If Corey Perry was carrying this team right now I might agree with that but he's not. In the beginning of the year he was completely invisible yet we were winning games. It'll be a blow to lose to him but not that bad. Plus it's not like Murph is going to trade him for draft picks. He'll at least get a roster player that can step in and contribute right away.

We can't lose him for nothing. This is a budget team and a team that doesn't attract top free agents. We need to get assets for him, period.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Smart move. Centers are at a premium and there would have a been a bidding war. This will be the new standard for a premium player in the league... its too bad the CBA made max contracts 8 years and not 6 like they originally had planned. I'm really suprised they gave him a NMC though and that should show Getzlaf never planned on leaving.

I'm sure they've offered Corey the same and he just has to say yes or no. Looks like he believes he can get more as UFA or he just doesn't want to be here.

I imagine they give Perry a few weeks to change his mind then start to see what they can get for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad