Getzalf vs Kostsitsyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquidrage*

Habs33 said:
HF has them back to back. But who has the higher fantasy value or risk?

and is their anyone not on the top 50 that is better than these two?

Kostitsyn is a much bigger risk IMO since basically even the one's tha rate him very highly will tell you that he's a "tool" guy and his ranking is based on physical ability more then anything.

I really don't care for him, I'm not into the "adjust to the NA game" type thing, so to me, yeah, there's a lot of non top 50 players I'd take ahead of him.

Also, if you're really just thinking "this year" I wouldn't say he's even close to being a given to play in the NHL all year.

Habs33

Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
Liquidrage said:
Kostitsyn is a much bigger risk IMO since basically even the one's tha rate him very highly will tell you that he's a "tool" guy and his ranking is based on physical ability more then anything.

I really don't care for him, I'm not into the "adjust to the NA game" type thing, so to me, yeah, there's a lot of non top 50 players I'd take ahead of him.

Also, if you're really just thinking "this year" I wouldn't say he's even close to being a given to play in the NHL all year.

like who are you referring to?

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Kost, has a ton of talent but is incredibly raw. It could take him more then 5 years to make any kind of impact if at all! He has the tools, Can he put them together? This year in the AHL could be an indicator.

Getzlaf is a much safer choice, he fits the NA game, and he has solid fundamentals. Even if he doesn't become a star he will be very serviceable.

Liquidrage*

Habs33 said:
like who are you referring to?

I think it's obvious.
Kostitsyn

There's no reason to beat around the bush with this one. You want to think he's a great prospect, that's your right. But based on his play last year he's a much bigger risk.

23 points total in 69 AHL games (including 0 points in 3 playoff games).

Getzlaf went to the AHL for hte playoff run and at least pulled down 5 in 10 walking into a brand new situation.

Based on his play last year, I would consider Kostitsyn to be a much bigger risk. Was it *really* just needing time to adjust to NA that caused that? And if he still needs to *adjust* will he really play a lot in the NHL this year?
Not that people consider him as high as Pitkanen or anything, but Pitkanen scored more in the NHL as a defenseman at the same age having never played in NA before that year. Notice "defenseman", "NHL", "never played in NA before" and "same age".

I just don't really consider the "adjustment period" a valid excuse. Now, I would agree if you say he has great great potential if he does *adjust*. But for the same reason I knocked him in the prospect rankings, I do so here, only here it's plain as day the guy asked about risk. Kostitsyn is a very risky prospect at this point. High risk high reward? That's fine. But very risky IMO if I werea betting man right now.

Liquidrage*

sXe said:

Oh, haha. My bad.

There's two off the Flyers I'd take over him not in th Top 50.
Someone like Patrick Sharp who's a lock to play in the NHL and possibly with good linemates. A point a game in the AHL playoffs and a much much better regular season as well.

Seidenberg. Probably going to get some PP and decent minutes on a very good team.

Really, anyone that is a lock to play in the NHL this year I would take over him. Now, if he's talking keeper league with a longterm view on it, it shortens the numbers I'd take over him because then that risk gets mitigated some.

I'd even take someone like Brad Boyes from Boston over him.

But overall, there's probably dozens of people based on how this question was framed. I just don't think Kostitsyn is going to play a lot in the NHL this year.

Habs33

Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
Liquidrage said:
I think it's obvious.
Kostitsyn

There's no reason to beat around the bush with this one. You want to think he's a great prospect, that's your right. But based on his play last year he's a much bigger risk.

23 points total in 69 AHL games (including 0 points in 3 playoff games).

Getzlaf went to the AHL for hte playoff run and at least pulled down 5 in 10 walking into a brand new situation.

Based on his play last year, I would consider Kostitsyn to be a much bigger risk. Was it *really* just needing time to adjust to NA that caused that? And if he still needs to *adjust* will he really play a lot in the NHL this year?
Not that people consider him as high as Pitkanen or anything, but Pitkanen scored more in the NHL as a defenseman at the same age having never played in NA before that year. Notice "defenseman", "NHL", "never played in NA before" and "same age".

I just don't really consider the "adjustment period" a valid excuse. Now, I would agree if you say he has great great potential if he does *adjust*. But for the same reason I knocked him in the prospect rankings, I do so here, only here it's plain as day the guy asked about risk. Kostitsyn is a very risky prospect at this point. High risk high reward? That's fine. But very risky IMO if I werea betting man right now.

my question was: who are you refeering to that is NOT on this top 50 who are better picks than AK for a keeper league.

yes high risk high reward for sure with him. and not everyone can be like pitkanens...some do need time to adjust and find their niche...naslund, bertuzzi ring a bell? now they are making gatorade commercials...

Habs33

Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
Liquidrage said:
Oh, haha. My bad.

There's two off the Flyers I'd take over him not in th Top 50.
Someone like Patrick Sharp who's a lock to play in the NHL and possibly with good linemates. A point a game in the AHL playoffs and a much much better regular season as well.

Seidenberg. Probably going to get some PP and decent minutes on a very good team.

Really, anyone that is a lock to play in the NHL this year I would take over him. Now, if he's talking keeper league with a longterm view on it, it shortens the numbers I'd take over him because then that risk gets mitigated some.

I'd even take someone like Brad Boyes from Boston over him.

But overall, there's probably dozens of people based on how this question was framed. I just don't think Kostitsyn is going to play a lot in the NHL this year.

i meant keeper league: prospects HF left out better than him, making the league (NHL) in max 2 yrs.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
I'm a huge habs fan but there is no question that Kosistyn has more risk involved in him. He had health issues... he comes from a country that historically doesnt breed good hockey players...

Getzlaf is a big, lanky kid with good fundementals and grew up playing the NA game.

As of right now, Getzlaf is the better player... however I've seen Kosistyn play... this guy has an unblelievable amount of skill... stuff dreams are made of ;).

Habs fans should be patient with this guy... he is still 2-3 years away... he was a gamble and now the Canadiens need to be patient and see if this gamble pays off.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Liquidrage said:

I agree with the big risk part, but it's more then just adjusting. Kostitsyn was one of the youngest players in the AHL, turing 20 in feb. Didn't speak english, wasn't used to playing in a system, on small ice, had no idea hockey was played at both ends of the rink, was homesick, etc... All just excuses, and to me if he doesn't produce this year it's time to get concerned. (he was one of the top goal scorers on Hamilton, not saying much though since the team really struggled scoring goals especially early in the season)

I don't expect him to play much in the NHL this year, although I would think he'd see a small handful of games if he plays well. The good news for Kostitsyn fans is that the guy made great strides in the progession of his defensive game and play away from the puck, going from being downright clueless in his own end, to actually getting some PK time.

I am not trying to be a Hab homer and say he's great, I was very disappointed with his level of offensive production, despite all the factors. But I was very happy with the progression he made in his all round game, as he slowly learned that he can not go through 5 guys, and that he must stop trying to get through every player.

What gets Hab fans excited was his play at the U-20's, but on the other hand there was his play at the WC's, which was not that impressive from the 2 games I saw at least.

As for where he's ranked and comparing him to others, who cares. It's simple he's got a ton of natural skills but he has not shown he can put it all together. He also has a good base of physical tools, size, speed, skating, shot.

toshiro

Jun 14, 2005
Western Canuckland
Jarvis

montreal said:
I agree with the big risk part, but it's more then just adjusting. Kostitsyn was one of the youngest players in the AHL, turing 20 in feb. Didn't speak english, wasn't used to playing in a system, on small ice, had no idea hockey was played at both ends of the rink, was homesick, etc... All just excuses, and to me if he doesn't produce this year it's time to get concerned. (he was one of the top goal scorers on Hamilton, not saying much though since the team really struggled scoring goals especially early in the season)

I don't expect him to play much in the NHL this year, although I would think he'd see a small handful of games if he plays well. The good news for Kostitsyn fans is that the guy made great strides in the progession of his defensive game and play away from the puck, going from being downright clueless in his own end, to actually getting some PK time.

I am not trying to be a Hab homer and say he's great, I was very disappointed with his level of offensive production, despite all the factors. But I was very happy with the progression he made in his all round game, as he slowly learned that he can not go through 5 guys, and that he must stop trying to get through every player.

What gets Hab fans excited was his play at the U-20's, but on the other hand there was his play at the WC's, which was not that impressive from the 2 games I saw at least.

As for where he's ranked and comparing him to others, who cares. It's simple he's got a ton of natural skills but he has not shown he can put it all together. He also has a good base of physical tools, size, speed, skating, shot.
Im also not sure Jarvis is all that good at developing offensive talent. I would have rather seen Kots played run and gun and develop defensive abilities afterwards so as not to stifle his creativity.

toshiro

Jun 14, 2005
Western Canuckland
world juniors

montreal said:

Kots played very well against the yanks.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7454&mode=threaded&order=0

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
As a Habs fan, it'd be great for me if Kostitsyn panned out as a player who could be compared to Getzlaf, or surpassed him.

But I think if you polled 30 NHL GMs today, 30 of them would take Getzlaf. I'd take Getzlaf. He's safe, he's way ahead of Kostitsyn on the development curve for the NA game. His absolute upside might not be as high as Kostitsyn's, but he has far less risk.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Habs33 said:

Ryan Whitney.

If I could choose one of Whitney, Getzlaf and Kostsitsyn for my team, it would be Whitney without question, and I am a HUGE fan of Getzlaf. Whitney is turning into arguably THE MOST underrated prospect at HF despite having a great rookie season and 2 SENSATIONAL playoffs. Even though he has excelled at the pro level, he has somehow managed to slip into near-obscurity.

Edit: Sorry, I missed the fact that this question was related to a fantasy league, as opposed to reality, so I don't know how that changes things. but my point still stands in general about Whitney.

Last edited:

Jaysfanatic*

I got Getzlaf for Oliwa and Marshall.......stupid Brian Burke

Jaysfanatic*

Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
In EHM?

As for the question, I'm a bit biased, but I'd take Getzlaf. He was Cincy's best player in the "A" playoffs, and looks to be awesome. Kost, though, has a few question marks.

haha, NHL 2005. To be fair, I also got Montreal's second and fifth round picks for Bobby Allen when they wanted Travis Zajac and John Madden in their original proposal for that 2nd and 5th, lol

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
Habs33 said:

Kostsitsyn is a bigger risk, but is also probably more skilled offensivly. He could become an NHL all star or a complete bust. Getzlaf wont be an All-star but will make a very good two way centre.

Ape Clutch

Jul 19, 2004
Getzlaf is better right now..., Kost has more upside and is a bit of a project...

But it youre worried, don't be Perezhogin was a project compared to his buddies Chistov and Svitov....both are now shitov compared to Perez (ok not really i just wanted to say shitov :D). Recently montreals been preaty good at bringing projects along. So lets wait and see, they'll be doing the same with Kostitsyn.

Getzlaf is better now, Kostitsyn will be better if he pans out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad