Get to Know Your Fellow Canes Fans - PART II

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Is that so?

Also Boone doesn't suck too bad. But the only ice time I get is on my break at work, and I'm technically not allowed to bring a stick on the ice (blah blah lawsuit blah)

I've had /Duncan/ donuts at your house before.

EDIT - Yes, I am aware that is creepy.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Meh. Theres no point in coffee or doughnuts unless its Tim Hortons so you'll have to forgive my lack of doughnut knowledge.

Also.. I'm on to your games

krispykreme.jpg

BURN THE HERETIC!!!

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Coffee: Dunkin > Tim Hortons >>>>>>> KK
Donuts: fresh KK > Tim Hortons > Dunkin >>>>>> grocery store KK

the coffee is close, damn close.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Meh - I find Dunkin's coffee to be highly overrated and the bagged stuff you can get at the grocery store to be nearly undrinkable. Krispy Kreme's coffee is what got me through finals my second year in grad school and through writing my Master's thesis. I'd get a dozen donuts and a Brew Box and ride the sugar/caffeine high as far as it'd get me. As far as donuts go, there's nothing that can beat an Krispy Kreme Original Glazed when the "Hot" sign's on.

95.png

Mmm....96 ounces of coffee.

If we're talking *good* local coffee, of course, then I'll take Global Village or Third Place, but if I'm just in it for the caffeine, it's hard to beat a Brew Box.

jking948

Mar 30, 2011
Changing the format to make it easier...

Hey all, my name is Jordan. I have been a giant sports fan (NFL and NBA especially) for my entire life and have casually followed hockey. However because I have grown up in Cleveland, Ohio I have little access to hockey games on TV. So I never had an urge to follow. Until last night when I went to see Pittsburgh v. Philadelphia. While it may not have been the greatest game ever something about it captivated me. I felt an instant love for the sport. I will be moving to North Carolina next year for college and decided this would be a perfect opportunity to start following hockey religiously as I do other sports. I hope to read posts from you guys and learn a lot about the team and eventually start posting often.

Go 'Canes!

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com

Hey all, my name is Jordan. I have been a giant sports fan (NFL and NBA especially) for my entire life and have casually followed hockey. However because I have grown up in Cleveland, Ohio I have little access to hockey games on TV. So I never had an urge to follow. Until last night when I went to see Pittsburgh v. Philadelphia. While it may not have been the greatest game ever something about it captivated me. I felt an instant love for the sport. I will be moving to North Carolina next year for college and decided this would be a perfect opportunity to start following hockey religiously as I do other sports. I hope to read posts from you guys and learn a lot about the team and eventually start posting often.

Go 'Canes!

Where are you going to school?

jking948

Mar 30, 2011
Where are you going to school?

I'm going to be a History major at High Point University Honors College. I don't know how far away it is from where games are played but at least they will be shown on television. The only time I get hockey in Cleveland is during the playoffs and the occasional NBC game.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
High Point is out by Greensboro where the Canes used to play before the arena was finished in Raleigh.

Probably somewhere between an hour and a half and two hour drive depending on traffic.

I had a few friends in high school who went to High Point. I've heard nothing but nice things about it. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

jking948

Mar 30, 2011
High Point is out by Greensboro where the Canes used to play before the arena was finished in Raleigh.

Probably somewhere between an hour and a half and two hour drive depending on traffic.

I had a few friends in high school who went to High Point. I've heard nothing but nice things about it. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Yeah I am really excited for college. I appreciate the kind-words thank you! Also thank you for the information about location! Two hours isn't bad at all, I do drives like that with my friends all the time, so for a special occasion (like a sports event) I would definitely drive.

Btw I haven't been following for long but I am rooting for playoffs just as hard as I have rooted for my Cleveland teams in the past. Thanks for welcoming me guys!

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Go 'Canes!

Alright, cool, this is awesome!

Feel free to ask any questions you have. It's overall a pretty silly and goofy board, so you might have to wade through a little BS to get to any actual hockey talk, but otherwise it's a pretty friendly (and very sarcastic) board.

Welcome aboard!!!

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
Yeah I am really excited for college. I appreciate the kind-words thank you! Also thank you for the information about location! Two hours isn't bad at all, I do drives like that with my friends all the time, so for a special occasion (like a sports event) I would definitely drive.

Btw I haven't been following for long but I am rooting for playoffs just as hard as I have rooted for my Cleveland teams in the past. Thanks for welcoming me guys!

Welcome as a fellow native Clevelander relocated to NC! You should really enjoy it down here.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I live in Greensboro now, which is like 30ish minutes from High Point. If you want to have any fun as a college student you'll probably need to head into the city. There's literally nothing to do in High Point.

sol3a1

Apr 9, 2011
Howdy all

Name: Sol3a1
Sex: Male
Where You're From: LA
Where You Live Now: NC
Nationality: US
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Mode of Transportation: Car/Run
Job: Network N.E.R.D
What brought you to HF Boards: Looking to chat, B & M and more
How you became a hockey fan: Lived in MI for 3 years
How you became a Canes fan: Moved here
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: They're new as much as I am to hockey
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Jussi
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Drury
Other Sports You Like: Football
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Panthers, 'Yotes, NJD & Habs (when they aren't playing the Canes
College Attended/Attending: UCSD
Video Game Systems Owned: Wii, PS2
Favorite Game(s): Tabletop RPGs
Music You Listen To: Classics, Heavy Metal, Jazz, Folk, some country
Favorite Movie(s): Conan, Tender Mercies, Pitch Black, Galaxy Quest
Favorite Book(s): War & Peace
Favorite Food(s): The edible kind
Favorite TV Show(s): Fringe, SGU, Leverage, Bones
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Only Canes
Anything Else: Never assign to maliciousness what is easily attributed to a bad joke

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Name: Justin
Sex: Male
Where You're From: Thomasville, North Carolina
Where You Live Now: Archdale, North Carolina
Nationality: Irish, German, American
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Mode of Transportation: I walk places, and people gives meh rides
Job: Game Advisor at GameStop (I know, what a thrilling career)
What brought you to HF Boards: Browsing through different boards and it looked pretty lively here.
How you became a hockey fan: When I was really young, I'd say about 4 or 5. My favorite team at the time was Anaheim before Hartford moved here to NC. Most of the games we would pick up would be Washington, but even back then I couldn't stand them
How you became a Canes fan: When they immediately arrived in North Carolina. I even remember attending games when they played at the Greensboro Coliseum.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Crowd, 06 Stanley cup! :D
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Ward, Skinner, Jokinen
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Kopitar, Williams(We have the same first and last name kekekekekek),
Other Sports You Like: Football is meh
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Carolina Panthers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Los Angeles Kings, Dallas Stars
College Attended/Attending: GTCC (Guildford Technical Community College)
Video Game Systems Owned: SNES, N64, Gamecube, Sega Genesis, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360, DSi, PSP
Favorite Game(s): Final Fantasy series, Mass Effect series, Borderlands, NHL series, Gears of War series, Call of Duty series, Crysis 1 and 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Rogue Spear, Dragon Age series
Music You Listen To: Acoustic, Electronic.
Favorite Movie(s): 300, August Rush, Cats Don't Dance (get off me), Wallace and Gromit Curse of the Were Rabbit
Favorite Book(s): I hate reading >:[
Favorite Food(s): Pizza, Om nom nom. Lasagna. Om nom nom nom.
Favorite TV Show(s): Anything with Wallace and Gromit. Ghost Adventures.
I'm mostly into Anime.
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Erik cole jersey, Justin Williams jersey, Cam Ward jersey
Anything Else: Oh hai, I'm the new guy. Hellurr

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Well, it's about time I pop in here and say hello. Short story of me...I'm from NJ and I grew up an Isles fan since I was about 7 or so (1987). I moved to Raleigh in 2004 and I'd now classify my "fanship" as a 1A Isles fan/1B Canes fan, if that makes any sense.

I swore when I moved down here, that I would stick to my guns and not become a Canes fan. Not the easiest thing to do when you have a few buddies who can get cheap tix thru work and my number on speed dial. :) And also, I mean, the 2006 Cup run and how deep they went in 2008...it's hard not to like the Canes. Granted, I'll show up for Isles/Canes games in my classic Turgeon jersey and root for my Isles. But I'll show up for the Canes games about a dozen other times during the season in my Staal jersey.

Tonight's game is even more important for a guy like me...a hybrid Isles/Canes fan and one of my teams can knock the Blueskirts out of the playoffs?! How sweet would that be...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad