Upgrade your account today to enjoy the forums ad-free.
Click here to upgrade: Account Upgrades

Get to Know Your Fellow Canes Fans - PART II

Discussion in 'Carolina Hurricanes' started by DaleCooper, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Lucky Lindy

Lucky Lindy Registered User

Well, I don't have a specific reason, it has always been Djurgården for me. It could just as easy have been AIK or Hammarby.

Lempo and Unsustainable like this.
  2. Breakdowns

Breakdowns Is it next season yet?

IT
    That makes sense, I know what you are talking about, I have had this for few teams I support as well

sheriff bart, Lempo and Unsustainable like this.
  3. Surrounded By Ahos

Surrounded By Ahos Movin on up

But why male models

4. Lempo

Lempo make Svech happen Sponsor

Femmes ain't got what it takes to bring out the essence of man purse.

sheriff bart and Unsustainable like this.
  5. DaveG

DaveG Global Moderator

Brewer/Medical Software
    Awards:
    Figure it's about time I updated this stuff

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  6. geehaad

geehaad Registered User

Figure it's about time I did one of these.

Name: Garrett
    Gender indicator: Dad to two girls, ages 4 and 2.
    Where I'm from: Boise, Eugene
    College attended: University of Oregon
    Where I live now: Near Crabtree Valley Mall (ITB *****es!)
    Why I'm here: The economy, stupid!
    Job: Programm....er, Software Engineer
    Sports I like: Mostly only the ones that I played: Ultimate Frisbee (I coach NC State's men's team), Skiing, Tennis. I like watching Rugby quite a bit, and MotoGP was a passion back when they were still riding 2-strokes.
    Sports teams I cheer for: Carolina Panthers, Oregon Ducks, NC State (mildly), Queensland Maroons.
    Video game systems owned: Intellivision was the only one I ever owned. The only computer game I played was Eastside Hockey Manager v1.18. Don't know the first thing about how to use a game controller.
    Favorite movie(s): Airplane!, Up In Smoke, Caddyshack, Close Encounters, Help!, Vacation, South Park, Full Metal Jacket, Kung Pow!, The Fifth Element, The Two Escobars, Cashback, Enter The Dragon, Billy Elliot, Short Term 12, Senna, Hitchhiker's Guide, Office Space, Little Miss Sunshine.
    Favorite TV show(s): Mostly comedies without a laugh track (or "live studio audience"...whatever). Can't stand shows with laugh tracks now. South Park has always been a favorite, but I haven't watched it in years. Archer was always great. Scrubs, Daily Show (with JS), Colbert Report. Binge-watched: Breaking Bad, Peaky Blinders, The Keepers.
    Favorite comedians: Pryor, Williams, Brian Regan, Mike Birbiglia, Bill Burr, Bill Hicks, Cheech & Chong, Ron White, Dave Attell.
    Favorite musicians: Zeppelin, Beatles, Beck, Camera Obscura, The Doors, Filter, Garbage, Hendrix, Johnny Cash, Tom T Hall, mr Gnome, Neko Case, Floyd, Queens of the Stone Age, Radiohead, Steve Miller Band, The Who, Zero7, early Coldplay, early Foo Fighters, Rufus Wainwright, Clapton, Simon & Garfunkel, Deee-Lite.

Hockey stuff:
    How I became a Canes fan: When they moved here, I took interest, and went to a handful of games in Greensboro, including the playoff Game 5 loss in OT (an incredible game). The next year, a friend of a friend often had extra tickets, and since there wasn't a ticket exchange program back then, it was either use 'em or burn 'em. I got the call often because I would find a way to say yes. Jan 2001 was when I became a daily fan of the team, reading about them every day in the N&O and participating on a Usenet site...alt.sports.hockey.nhl.car-hurricanes, maybe? Later, I frequented TheScoreboards, which DaveG, Hank, toastmasterbone, Flying Squirrels, BigKahuna (what happened to him?) also occasionally posted to (anyone else?). It was decidedly an older crowd than this, and definitely not as entertaining.
    Claim to some fame as a Canes fan: The only two playoff games I didn't attend were games 1 and 2 of the 1999 series. Can anyone beat that?
    On joining HFCanes: I found the site after looking up info on HockeysFuture, but didn't join until DaveG invited folks from TheScoreboards to join a keeper league just after the Cup win. I think I started regularly posting here in 2009, maybe?
    Favorite thing about participating here: The eternal optimism of discussing prospects. A prospect is a gift that keeps on giving hope because they never just suddenly expose themselves as being hopeless...they just sort of fade away. You're never really confronted with the reality that they won't amount to anything. By the time that settles into your consciousness, you've already moved on to the next shiny toy!
    On being a hockey fan: I like watching hockey, but I won't watch a regular season game that doesn't involve the Canes. The sport has ruined me on nearly all other spectator sports. Seriously, I find it impossible to even watch my former favorite love (basketball)...it's unbearably slow and has too many stoppages to keep my attention.
    Favorite current Canes player(s): I no longer have a favorite. I like 'em all. More interestingly, though, is the fact that this may be the first time that there isn't a player that I don't want on the team.
    Favorite former Canes player(s): Cullen (did everything with speed), Irbe (the little engine that could), Hedican (the powerful stride), Francis (the grace), Brind'Amour (the do-everything), Gleason (the no-nonsense demeanor), O'Neill (the dry wit). I think I'll appreciate EStaal more as time goes by.
    Other favorite player(s): I have always been amazed by Marian Hossa.
    Hockey jerseys in wardrobe: Ironically, I have a 2005 red EStaal and a ASG EStaal. That ASG jersey was just so awesome, I didn't want a blank, so it was either EStaal or Skinner, and I wasn't going to fanboy on rookie Bieber. I have a red with-piping Cullen. I had a Battaglia jersey in 2002, but gave it away. I also have 2 white with-piping blanks...not sure what I'll do with them now.

7. HankAnger

HankAnger ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is so so true. I used to be a baseball guy. Now I literally cannot be bothered to watch a baseball game, even with offices that look directly out over the DBAP. It's not even a good way to get drunk anymore.

8. DaveG

DaveG Global Moderator

Brewer/Medical Software
    Awards:
    Yep. I'm still a college football guy simply because the variety in the college game is what keeps it entertaining, but even college basketball, which I used to live and die by, I can't be bothered to watch outside tournament time if it's not a team I'm already invested in.

9. Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy make Svech happen

Speaking of other sports, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week, due to the MLB all-star break, there isn't a single professional football, basketball, baseball or hockey game being played. Are there any other times of the year this happens? I know NBA plays on Christmas, NFL plays on thanksgiving so was just curious.

10. Ippenator

Ippenator Registered User

I guess I might as well fill this, as it's a reaaally long off season without any real hockey, and I got nothing better to do right now. :)

Name: Iiro
    Sex: male
    Where You're From: born in New York
    Where You Live Now: Espoo (Finland)
    Nationality: Finnish/American
    Hair Color: dark brown (shaven bald though)
    Eye Color: dark brown
    Mode of Transportation: public transportation
    Job: chief shop steward, insurance company board member, union vice president in the Finnish insurance branch
    What brought you to HF Boards: long time enthusiastic hockey fan whom read these boards already pretty long before, just felt it was time to take part into some discussions
    How you became a hockey fan: by playing it every day as a kid
    How you became a Canes fan: I have always liked underdogs, somehow I liked everything about the Canes right away after they joined the NHL
    Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: I think there are more reasonable and better behaving fans than with many other teams
    Favorite Cane's Player(s): Sebastian Aho, Justin Faulk, Jaccob Slavin, Brett Pesce, Jeff Skinner and Teuvo Teräväinen
    Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Patrik Laine, Sidney Crosby, Henrik Zetterberg, Mikael Granlund and Mark Scheifele
    Other Sports You Like: Soccer and basketball
    Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Finnish national teams, Tampere Ilves, San Antonio Spurs, Chicago Bulls, Bayern Munich and Ajax Amsterdam
    College Attended/Attending: business school in Tampere
    Video Game Systems Owned: PC, PS4, XBONE, Switch and PS3
    Favorite Game(s): NHL and FIFA, NBA 2K, Soulsborne games, Guild Wars 2, Forza Horizon 2 and 3, Zero Horizon
    Music You Listen To: all kinds. Biggest favorites King's of Leon, Metallica, Guns'n'Roses, Coldplay, Sia, Evanesence, Whitesnake and Led Zeppelin
    Favorite Movie(s): all Godfather movies, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Fountain, Cloud Atlas and Shawshank Redemption
    Favorite Book(s): Lord of the Rings, the Count of Monte Cristo, the Three Musketeers
    Favorite Food(s): Pizza, Gazpacho
    Favorite TV Show(s): Game of Thrones, the Office (American version), Galactica and the Walking Dead
    Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: none
    Anything Else: I'm a father of a 3,5 year old wonderful boy, whom is absolutely amazing and the most important thing in my life. Hockey comes probably as the most important thing after my closest friends and relatives and of course my work. :)

11. NotOpie

NotOpie "Puck don't lie"

Unprofessional
    The Count of Monte Crisco is such a great book and filled with wonderful fried chicken recipes too....:sarcasm:

sheriff bart and Unsustainable like this.
  12. DominikBokkFan

DominikBokkFan It's like the Senators want to fail...

Just curious Dave if you don't me asking and you sharing. How come you moved down to the South? Work, family, love something(s) about it, anti-homesickness (If that's even a word lol)? Asking because it just seems from my experience no one (Minus a friend that is from NC, left for Canada and then back) really goes to the South from the north or Canada.

Unsustainable likes this.
  13. the halleJOKEL

the halleJOKEL strong as brickwall

Home Page:
    isn't that like... the opposite of reality? most people retire south to avoid cold winters

14. Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy make Svech happen

I think your own experiences aren't reflecting the general trend. There's a very large migration of population from the north to the south in the US. I moved here from the northeast. My next door neighbor moved from Chicago. The guy across the street is from NY. The guy next to him is from Massachusetts. Further down the street NJ, Pittsburgh, etc.. Places like the Carolinas and Texas are gaining population at a much higher rate than places like Michigan, NY, etc.. (some of which are losing population) and it's due to people migrating south.

My reasons for moving here from the Northeast, in order: 1) Weather 2) Lower college costs 3) Lower taxes 4) More job opportunities 5) Much more robust economy.

EDIT: There are drawbacks though. Summer's are pretty brutal down here. It's virtually impossible to consistently grow a good lawn down here. There are venomous snakes and poisonous spiders down here. There seems to be a lot fewer checks and balances on development down here (which is good and bad). The traffic continues to get worse and worse. Etc....

15. raynman

raynman Registered User

Where I live in NC is consistently at the top of the list for top retirement communities in the US. So many old people here.

16. NotOpie

NotOpie "Puck don't lie"

Unprofessional
    They used to not be here, but the Southern Gods decided that life was too easy on the migrating Yankees, so something had to be done to spice things up. :D:sarcasm:

Of course you left out the #1 best thing about NC -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish you whippersnappers would quit talking about me...

17. raynman

raynman Registered User

The olds I'm talking about probably don't have the "mastery" of computers that you do.

18. DaveG

DaveG Global Moderator

Brewer/Medical Software
    Awards:
    Moved down here when I was still in HS. The job market in WV where I went to college has always been ******, and at the time Pittsburgh hadn't started to turn things around economically yet and I got a job offer from Duke Med right out of college, so I came back to the Triangle.

That said, yeah, halle and BBA are right, the trend tends to be dramatically the other way around on a national basis. Cost of living is far lower down here and a lot of companies have moved to the south over the past 20+ years due to far less restrictive taxes compared to places like Massachusetts, New York, and other places throughout the Northeast. As a result there's been a good bit of a population shift from those areas to down here. And the Triangle is one of the biggest biotech areas of the world so anything involving medicine or biotech job wise down here won't be that hard to find.

19. HankAnger

HankAnger ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

people ask "should i move to nc" and i'm all like "DON'T MOVE TO NC" and they ignore me and move here anyway

it's getting kind of irritating tbh

20. CheMxDawG

CheMxDawG Registered User

I've been mostly lurking for a few months now, maybe I should fill one out?

Name: Nick
    Sex: M
    Where You're From: NJ
    Where You Live Now: Raleigh and walking distance to PNC :handclap:
    Nationality: American
    Hair Color: Dark Brown
    Eye Color: Brown
    Mode of Transportation: '04 Jaguar S-Type
    Job: Courier for family business stuffs, and IT stuffs
    What brought you to HF Boards: My love for hockey combined with google sent me here
    How you became a hockey fan: Growing up in NJ, I was exposed to a decent amount of hockey in between seasonal sports. I never got a chance to play in any leagues but we enjoyed a lot of street puck.
    How you became a Canes fan: When my wife and I started dating, her father and I bonded over Canes games. He turned me from a Devils fan to a Caniac.
    Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Our small, tight-knit community
    Favorite Cane's Player(s): Rask is my boy but Slavin is bae
    Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): EK65 and the Jags
    Other Sports You Like: Baseball
    Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Yankees and NC State
    College Attended/Attending: Wake Tech
    Video Game Systems Owned: PS4 - PC
    Favorite Game(s): NHL and MLB The Show mostly
    Music You Listen To: Classic hard rock and some hip hop/r&b
    Favorite Movie(s): Boondock Saints, Big Lebowski, Platoon
    Favorite Book(s): Hatchet, that book ****s
    Favorite Food(s): Crab legs or steamed clams, anything seafood really
    Favorite TV Show(s): Arrested Development, Always Sunny (hands down my personal favorite), finishing Ozark atm
    Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: One (1) Camo practice sweater signed by the Minute Man himself, James Wisniewski
    Anything Else: Why do I always walk the wrong way when looking for the smoking section at PNC? Me + beer = longest walk to cigarette heaven

21. vorbis

vorbis i am here 2 chew bubblegum and like posts Sponsor

updating mine to actually answer the questions and not be pithy about them

22. Carolinas Identity*

Carolinas Identity* I'm a bad troll...

Grad Student, Bartender
    Haven't updooted this in like 4.5 years. Figured it was time :yo:

23. vorbis

vorbis i am here 2 chew bubblegum and like posts Sponsor

oh god I didn't even mention BBQ because the BBQ situation in Toronto is just sad. my favorite BBQ place as a kid was literally a shack in the woods outside of Hickory, NC. my friend's buddy opened a BBQ restaurant here recently, and as a result of my previous rants about the state of Toronto BBQ, my friend said he'd pay for me to go there with him BUT ONLY if I wouldn't talk about the food until after we left.

24. Carolinas Identity*

Carolinas Identity* I'm a bad troll...

Grad Student, Bartender
    Frank Kaminsky has the BBQ situation on lock down tbh :laugh:

25. HankAnger

HankAnger ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, right.