GDT: Germany vs Suomi @ 9am PT/ 12pm ET/ 6pm CEST

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Pretty easy game for the Finns overall. Only thing making it tough were Finns themselves with their horrid PK and unwillingness to shoot on good scoring chances. Germans were good in their d-zone 5on5 but had nothing in the o-zone. I dare say they had less than 5 dangerous scoring chances in the game. I loved the little extracurricular plays after whistle from Germany.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Well, with this level of play shown so far, semis is as far as this team goes, especially when the opponent is Canada (Most probably)

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Nice game by Germany, scoreboard doesn't do credit to how close it was. I like their future.

Highlight of the game: Rossmy's 2nd goal, what a backhander!

Lambert moment of the game: Loses his balance on the offensive zone without anyone touching him, gets frustrated and takes a penalty.

Referee moment of the game: Really soft roughing penalty against Blank late in the 3rd.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
You didnt see the high stick? Also roughing and grabbing outside the play gets called in IIHF.
Not sure which high stick you mean, i missed most of the 1st period and had to watch 2nd and 3rd on a shitty stream. Yes i know it is called in IIHF tournaments, does not mean it's not a soft call, and the Järventie reaction was a bit much.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Nice game by Germany, scoreboard doesn't do credit to how close it was. I like their future.

Highlight of the game: Rossmy's 2nd goal, what a backhander!

Lambert moment of the game: Loses his balance on the offensive zone without anyone touching him, gets frustrated and takes a penalty.

Referee moment of the game: Really soft roughing penalty against Blank late in the 3rd.
Lambert moment of the game. LOL

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Well, they got the job done.

Offensively I think Finland matches up well with anybody here, but they need to get better with team defense all across the board.
Not sure what games you've been watching.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I think Finland will win by 5-3. Germany with the first goal and they will compete for quite awhile until they start fatiguing.

Fatigue combined with Finlands ability to draw penalties will decide the game.

Not bad honestly. I didn't think we would pretty much only score on the power play though. Also Finland was the one looking fatigued after one period :laugh:

Well, with this level of play shown so far, semis is as far as this team goes, especially when the opponent is Canada (Most probably)

We'll be banned from competing for the bronze?

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
It was a bad game from Finland. So I'm worried before the semifinals vs Canada(Most likely). There is a risk of a historically high defeat.

Reactions: Svedu

Papitao

Aug 11, 2022
São Paulo, Brazil
Still quite slow puck movement, saved only by penalties and great PP efficiency. Räty had probably his worst game in the tournament just underlining his weaknesses, being always half a stride behind or just passing that puck always with bad timing a little too late and forcing plays. Without those issues he would be a great player. Not sure if he will be able to develop those parts of his game that much though since it might be a game reading issue.

Happy for Järventie, Simontaival and Määttä who got the job done. Still not trusting Meriläinen too much, and Niemelä is just probably not on great fit for competitive matches due to his training schedule or something. The timing just seems off.

Kemell still couldn't hit net from the point :)

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It is when he's only 19YRs old, when most players his age are still in the CHL.
Lots of 20 year olds (or 19 yr olds that turned 20 during the season) have been point/game in the AHL - Boldy, Pelletier, Quinn, Peterka. 19 year olds did during the bubble (a somewhat watered down AHL though). Jarventie was 19 for the entire season though. Next season is more likely to tell the tale.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Lots of 20 year olds (or 19 yr olds that turned 20 during the season) have been point/game in the AHL - Boldy, Pelletier, Quinn, Peterka. 19 year olds did during the bubble (a somewhat watered down AHL though). Jarventie was 19 for the entire season though. Next season is more likely to tell the tale.

Everyone you listed with the exception of Peterka (the only like-to-like comparison) is a 2001-born, while Jarventie is a 2002-born, so comparing their current season isn't exactly fair.

Also Jarventie was selected as a project, not a finished product. He's a 6'3 kid with top 6 skills that needed to mature physically and improve his aggressiveness and effort level. Not exactly shocking his production in the AHL wasn't as good as less raw 1st round picks.

Reactions: Ippenator

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Everyone you listed with the exception of Peterka (the only like-to-like comparison) is a 2001-born, while Jarventie is a 2002-born, so comparing their current season isn't exactly fair.

Also Jarventie was selected as a project, not a finished product. He's a 6'3 kid with top 6 skills that needed to mature physically and improve his aggressiveness and effort level. Not exactly shocking his production in the AHL wasn't as good as less raw 1st round picks.
Yes I said most were 20 during their season in the AHL (or turned 20). Peterka was a work in progress too. He apparently wasn't good in his Sabres audition last season. There were a lot of 19 year olds that did well during the bubble season but the competition was weaker.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Still quite slow puck movement, saved only by penalties and great PP efficiency. Räty had probably his worst game in the tournament just underlining his weaknesses
Bad vs Canada too. Wanted him to get demoted for like 3 games now. 1st line just isn't working with him there.

But I guess doing well in your first game gives you immunity for the rest of the tournament.

Reactions: Papitao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad