GDT: Germany Vs Canada

member 305909

No matter how weak teams the so called big hockey countries send to the world's there simply isn't any excuses for any of the big six countries to miss the play offs. That would just be an utter humiliation.

That is also what hockey dedpetetaly needs. The big countries not being able to take for granted every time that they will easily beat the smaller ones.

Reactions: Summer Rose

kary

May 12, 2016
This tournament is getting juicy. Both groups so wonderfully tangled.
If team Canada was producing crops they would all starve to death. Greatest achievement of the pathetic Swedes was tiring Belarus so the pathetic Czech team could snag OT win over them. Of course props to the underdogs for putting up great effort and making things interesting.

Reactions: Edenjung

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
All this attitude by german posters after this game is sad to see. I am german and I also think DEL players are better than admitted by most other countrymen (not only canadian).

that win was a tremendous effort by a less skilled but in no way overwhelmed team. Germany had great composure, dtermination and a fair amount of talent whilst the game could have taken a different direction very easily. There are reasons though why it did not and neither team should ignore these.

In the end Canada desperately needed this one and played their best game of the tournament so far and Germany still came out on top. That tells me more about the german team than the canadian.
+ Finnish Coaching. ;)

Reactions: Jussi

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I think the smaller countries want it more.
They want to win.

And thats great. Latvia, Belarus, Germany, kazakhstan, slovakia, denmark, they want to win.
They give everything. One has to admire that, because it shows that not only pure skill or stats win a game.
No determination, Self-sacrifice and teamwork they win games.

But Canada played well today, but couldn't pot another one.
I have respect for their effort.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Well Canada could dress like 5 better rosters than this one easily. So i canT Take much from a win like that. If the the Canadian Football national Team beat a German squat that misses its best 100 Players I would not be shocked either. IT is a nice win for the players, but lets pump the brakes, it is nothing to boast about.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Well Canada could dress like 5 better rosters than this one easily. So i canT Take much from a win like that. If the the Canadian Football national Team beat a German squat that misses its best 100 Players I would not be shocked either. IT is a nice win for the players, but lets pump the brakes, it is nothing to boast about.
But I was told that bottom 6 NHLers were much better than European players from Euro leagues. And that they would dominate.

karlstegger

May 15, 2016
Denmark
But I was told that bottom 6 NHLers were much better than European players from Euro leagues. And that they would dominate.

There will always be stupid posters on both "sides", why not just ignore it and talk some hockey?

Edit: game was pretty entertaining and GZ to Germany, they showed lot of heart today.

Zaar

Feb 5, 2017
Germany
To be honest, Team Canada put so much pressure on the german team, that I almost can't believe, we came through. We drew too many penalties (although one or two were harsh or arguable) but were bailed out by dedication and strong goal tending.

We should not have actually won this, but we did, although Canada showed their best performance of the tourneament yet. Sorry, but I love it :D

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany

Well, yeah, probably way more than 5. But it's not Germany's fault that Canada ices a team like that and you can only play and beat what you are served. Everything else is nothing but speculation.

Reactions: Lauro and Edenjung

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I think we will never see the best of the best at the World Cup.
And thats ok.

The players in the playoffs are busy and others just need regeneration.
Also some might fear injuries.

And if we would play after the playoffs we wouldn't get the best players eighter, because those need every second for regeneration till the regular season.
And in other leagues they are in the middle of training camp or starting with preperations for that.

We have to accept hat and just enjoy what we get and not think about what could have been but what is.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Yes, but the situation is that there are hardly any "best on best" tournaments. Thanks NHL! Next year there is Beijing and what happens after that? Most tournaments year after year will be understaffed. Stronger than ever in the future. I'm tired of pointing out how strong the top 5 or 6 really are. There is no will in NA to international comparisons anyway. So you have to accept it as it is. Then a hockey parallel world will emerge in Europe. It's okay! Maybe a IIHF European Hockey Championship should be introduced?

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
@Lambo

how about we keep it the way it is.

Most of the time the top 6 win.
That also goes for the Football world cup and european championship.
But sometimes there is a greece or Denmark that win a cup. Or Island or Wales in 2016.
Or the best team doesn't make it out of the group stage (Spain 2014, germany 2018).

to me that is the salt in the soup.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This is more like Sweden winning against Germany in soccer, if Germany was missing their top ~8-9 players and Sweden was missing Zlatan.

That would be still be a HUGE deal and giant fiasco for German soccer.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Thing is, though, that a Canadian team like that still would've beat Latvia or Germany pretty easily years ago. But things have changed globally and the countries have moved closer together which is great for hockey.

Reactions: Elvs

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
@Lambo

how about we keep it the way it is.

Most of the time the top 6 win.
That also goes for the Football world cup and european championship.
But sometimes there is a greece or Denmark that win a cup.
Or the best team doesn't make it out of the group stage (Spain 2014, germany 2018).

to me that is the salt in the soup.
Well, but especially Germany and Switzerland win more and more often against top 6 teams. It is getting more and more.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
This is more like Sweden winning against Germany in soccer, if Germany was missing their top ~8-9 players and Sweden was missing Zlatan.

That would be still be a HUGE deal and giant fiasco for German soccer.
We almost did that in 2018 though.

@Lambo

Which means that there is a development in those countries. And thats good.
Better teams better hockey.

better for us viewers.

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
Switzerland beating Czechia isn't an upset.

Not a huge one, but I'd still call it an upset.
If you put the best Czeck players versus the best Swiss players, I'd be an upset if the Swiss won.
Still kinda cool to see these results, everyone has a chance to win against the top teams!

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA

Canada's far from the only team at this tournament missing a lot of its top players.

Granted this year's roster is ugly but still is perfectly capable of playing better than this garbage.

buzzbee

nude hockey player
Aug 8, 2005
Bracknell (UK)
At the 2019 championships, I chatted to the mother of one of the Team Canada players and she said that they don't take the first week seriously. They party in the evenings and do some sightseeing.

They take it seriously when the playoff round starts.

This year was always going to throw up some shock results, due to there being no relegation, combined with so many players having not played full seasons before the champs

I'm kinda wishing we (GB) were in the same group as Team Canada :D

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
North Americans will always complain about that is not “best on best” when NHL players can’t play. It’s their own league’s fault.

IIHF and IOC won’t change their schedule because of one league.
NHL is the league that have to change their schedule. Every other league is finished (or paused when it’s Olympics).

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
North Americans will always complain about that is not “best on best” when NHL players can’t play. It’s their own league’s fault.

NHL is the league that have to change their schedule. Every other league is finished (or paused when it’s Olympics).
Yes right! And this league has no interesst for international comparsions. Between 98 and 2014 was very good situation. There the Top-Nations could prove their strengh. But in Future after Bejing???

Derbon99

May 18, 2021

they could avoid playing the last 20 games of reg season nobody should care about (knowing they artificially make the season tight with attributed points)
But obviously money is much more important than WC

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
So tired of this age old bs how "the players don't care about this tournament, so we suck". It's one of the more annoying shit that gets around here. Every single player playing for Canada cares a f***ton as they're competitive ice hockey players - not internet posters. They're there picked to represent their country. Use your brain.

As often, Canada takes time to get together as a team. This happens more often than not lately.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
@crowi

Oh today they played well.
They just ran into a hot goalie and a defence who sacrefice every inch of their body.

Next game they will win.

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
Well guys, at least the (Canadian) goaltending was OK today...that's an improvement. I thought the effort was there too (for Canada) they just can't score. German team worked hard - especially on the PK. Killing two 5 on 3s...that was basicly the game.

Even though there is no relegation, I assume this year will screw up the rankings and thus brackets for next year. If Canada & Sweden continue to flounder...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad